Hammer Horror, The Musters, The Addams Family

geekfreak

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 6:11 AM, zepscoda said:

Fantastic!... I now subscribe to this YouTube channel.  Lots of good stuff on here

I have a dimming arrangement in my bedroom as I dislike harsh lighting. However, I've never heard it referred to as a dimming arrangement until now. Not as crude as torn cardboard though. 

6 hours ago, E A Poe said:

Excellent choice considering the style of John. Was this actually a 93 year old colorized screen shot?  

Yes, it seems to be a colorized still image. However, the color sequences in the original film were done using the Technicolor 2 process.

Although successful commercially, Process 2 was plagued with technical problems. Because the images on the two sides of the print were not in the same plane, both could not be perfectly in focus at the same time. The significance of this depended on the depth of focus of the projection optics. Much more serious was a problem with cupping. Films in general tended to become somewhat cupped after repeated use: every time a film was projected, each frame in turn was heated by the intense light in the projection gate, causing it to bulge slightly; after it had passed through the gate, it cooled and the bulge subsided, but not quite completely. It was found that the cemented prints were not only very prone to cupping, but that the direction of cupping would suddenly and randomly change from back to front or vice versa, so that even the most attentive projectionist could not prevent the image from temporarily popping out of focus whenever the cupping direction changed. Technicolor had to supply new prints so the cupped ones could be shipped to their Boston laboratory for flattening, after which they could be put back into service, at least for a while. The presence of image layers on both surfaces made the prints especially vulnerable to scratching, and because the scratches were vividly colored they were very noticeable. Splicing a Process 2 print without special attention to its unusual laminated construction was apt to result in a weak splice that would fail as it passed through the projector. Even before these problems became apparent, Technicolor regarded this cemented print approach as a stopgap and was already at work developing an improved process.

Edited by SteveAJones

12 hours ago, E A Poe said:

Excellent choice considering the style of John. Was this actually a 93 year old colorized screen shot?  

Yes, they shot those scenes in color...here's what I found on that on IMDb:

Several sequences were shot in various color processes for the general release prints. Technicolor was used for scenes from "Faust" and the Bal Masque scene, Prizmacolor sequences were shot for the "Soldier's Night" introduction and Handschiegel (a process that uses stamps to hand-color prints) for the Phantom's notes and red cape on the rooftop. Only the Technicolor Bal Masque sequence is known to survive (an IB print from the 1929 re-release).

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0016220/trivia?ref_=m_tt_trv_trv

5 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Lon Chaney was genius,  he did all the makeup & stunts on his own. Makes me wonder how he would have trasitioned into the era of sound.

Here's a great story about his make up in Phamtom  ... from IMDb: 

According to Charles Van Enger, the film's cameraman, he himself had a very strong reaction as Lon Chaney's unsuspecting "guinea pig". Chaney had summoned Van Enger to his dressing room, but without telling him why. When he got there and was standing about a foot behind the actor, Chaney suddenly spun around in full Phantom makeup! "I almost wet my pants. I fell back over a stool and landed flat on my back!" Chaney laughed so hard and Van Enger, who by then was "mad as hell" yelled, "Are you NUTS?" Unable to clearly talk with his fake teeth in, he spit them out: "Never mind Charlie, you already told me what I wanted to know."

Anyone here know of a Vampire movie where it involves father and son and one of them gets pushed down a staircase and reveals he’s a vampire? Been looking for this long lost movie I can’t remember the name I saw it when I was a kid, one of them had curly hair like a jewfro.

Edited by BledZabbath

20 minutes ago, BledZabbath said:

Anyone here know of a Vampire movie where it involves father and son and one of them gets pushed down a staircase and reveals he’s a vampire? Been looking for this long lost movie I can’t remember the name I saw it when I was a kid, one of them had curly hair like a jewfro.

All Vampire Movies: List of Vampire Movies and Vampire Films

https://www.ranker.com/list/all-vampire-movies-list-of-vampire-movies-and-vampire-films/all-genre-movies-lists

6 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

I’ve looked through all those, I was hoping someone would know what I’m talking about, I’ve looked through a bunch of lists today and can’t find it.

Thank you Steve.

2 hours ago, BledZabbath said:

I’ve looked through all those, I was hoping someone would know what I’m talking about, I’ve looked through a bunch of lists today and can’t find it.

Thank you Steve.

I can't think of it off hand.  Black & White or color?  

8 hours ago, BledZabbath said:

Thank you Steve.

I would need more details to have any chance of tracking it down. B&W or color? Era? Cast? Plot? etc.