The Firm

sharwoodjr

Yeah, I had to break out both records this morning since it's been quite a few months since I've had them on.

I've always liked the different images that come from the band name.

first and most obvious:

The Firm (like the movie) as a company or business project (which may be most accurate)

The Firm as in not quite hard... :rolleyes::o

The Firm as in the opposite of The Infirm

But anyway, the music, this is what I have thought and in particular was thinking this morning.

Together is the only real low point of the first album. Every time Paul sings 'Yesterday' I just wanna continue with 'all my troubles seemed so far away...' maybe it's just me.

I didn't used to like You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling, but I found myself turning it up today...

(who knows :blink: )

Some may object to the horn section of Closer, but I really like this song.

It could have used a slightly denser production, perhaps,

despite the energy, it feels kind of light. IMO good song regardless.

Make Or Break, another good song

Paul subliminally raids the Beatles cannon again for Money Can't Buy, but the similarities end at the title. Not the best song on the album.

The second album has more of a sludgy sound. Jimmy's either laying on the overdubs or the effects, can't quite tell. The Live In Peace guitar solo is stellar. That song really builds up. It kinda has you wondering if this was one of the stinkers when it starts, but by the end I forgot all about that.

A lot of people don't care for Dreaming, a Tony Franklin composition, but I really like how it pushes Jimmy and the band in an unusual direction (nice tremolo bar solo too) with the odd time signature and the creamy clean chorussy guitar comping.

Spirit Of Love, I could do without. It has all the potential to be an extended stadium sing-along and has that kind of 'Rod Stewart' build up that I've read Jimmy saying was something he didn't like about All My Love, but lacks his sense of balladry.

Chris Slade's drumming is far from his style during his AC/DC tenure.

He's obviously a multi-faceted musician.

My friend who sings Humpty Dumpty to All The Kings Horses was joking that Jason shaved his head to create some continuity with Chris Slade... (obviously not! :) )

Again, Paul Rodgers is a love-song-singin' kinda guy, so there's not much you can do about that.

The Firm was definitley a great effort. Radioactive was well done in particular with songs like Money can buy, satisfaction guaranteed and the star song Moonlight Lady, which contends with Stairway to Heaven, has amazing guitar/drums/vocal sequence.

At least much better than Page Plant records!!

Yeah, I had to break out both records this morning since it's been quite a few months since I've had them on.

I've always liked the different images that come from the band name.

first and most obvious:

The Firm (like the movie) as a company or business project (which may be most accurate)

The Firm as in not quite hard... :rolleyes::o

The Firm as in the opposite of The Infirm

But anyway, the music, this is what I have thought and in particular was thinking this morning.

Together is the only real low point of the first album. Every time Paul sings 'Yesterday' I just wanna continue with 'all my troubles seemed so far away...' maybe it's just me.

I didn't used to like You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling, but I found myself turning it up today...

(who knows :blink: )

Some may object to the horn section of Closer, but I really like this song.

It could have used a slightly denser production, perhaps,

despite the energy, it feels kind of light. IMO good song regardless.

Make Or Break, another good song

Paul subliminally raids the Beatles cannon again for Money Can't Buy, but the similarities end at the title. Not the best song on the album.

The second album has more of a sludgy sound. Jimmy's either laying on the overdubs or the effects, can't quite tell. The Live In Peace guitar solo is stellar. That song really builds up. It kinda has you wondering if this was one of the stinkers when it starts, but by the end I forgot all about that.

A lot of people don't care for Dreaming, a Tony Franklin composition, but I really like how it pushes Jimmy and the band in an unusual direction (nice tremolo bar solo too) with the odd time signature and the creamy clean chorussy guitar comping.

Spirit Of Love, I could do without. It has all the potential to be an extended stadium sing-along and has that kind of 'Rod Stewart' build up that I've read Jimmy saying was something he didn't like about All My Love, but lacks his sense of balladry.

Chris Slade's drumming is far from his style during his AC/DC tenure.

He's obviously a multi-faceted musician.

My friend who sings Humpty Dumpty to All The Kings Horses was joking that Jason shaved his head to create some continuity with Chris Slade... (obviously not! :) )

Again, Paul Rodgers is a love-song-singin' kinda guy, so there's not much you can do about that.

I Like Closer, good riff !! I am going to have to buy one of those record players you can plug into the pc to turn them digital and listen to them again !!

Here is a typical setlist for their 1986 North American Tour:

The Firm (Jimmy Page / Paul Rodgers / Chris Slade / Tony Franklin)

May 2nd 1986 Detroit, MI USA Joe Louis Sports Arena

Fortune Hunter

Closer

Someone To Love

Make Or Break

Prelude

Money Can't Buy

Satisfaction Guaranteed

drum solo

Radioactive

Live In Peace

All The Kings Horses

bass solo

The Chase

violin bow solo

Cadillac

Midnight Moonlight

You've Lost That Loving Feeling

-----------Encore------------

Everybody Needs Somebody To Love

------Second Encore------

I Just Wanna Make Love To You

Edited by SteveAJones

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agh The Chase, thats a great bit of music from Deathwish, I am sure that setlist was much the same over here in Europe to, in fact the gig I went to on that tour is being aired I think on Planet Rock so someone told me !!

Didn't Page do the Chase on his outrider tour ?? or is that me imagining he did !!

I Like Closer, good riff !! I am going to have to buy one of those record players you can plug into the pc to turn them digital and listen to them again !!

I got a CD recording deck from Teac... (double CD deck! )

makes an extra step if you wanna put it in your computer, but it's quick, easy and trouble-free

just like dubbing cassettes :) hahahah

I got a CD recording deck from Teac... (double CD deck! )

makes an extra step if you wanna put it in your computer, but it's quick, easy and trouble-free

just like dubbing cassettes :) hahahah

Cool, how much was that do you mind me asking ??

Cool, how much was that do you mind me asking ??

I've had it for a couple years now, so I don't remember exactly, but if I recall correctly it was only a couple hundred bucks or so. I bought it with Yen, though. :lol: so that clouds the issue even further.

It's called the Teac RW-D280.

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Detai...spx?NewsId=5581

The site below is selling it for 60,000 yen, which is less than US$500.

I'm sure I got it for far less than that. No way I payed that much.

http://www.teac.co.jp/av/all_prod/cdr/rwd280.html

If you have to pay that much a USB turntable might be cheaper.

Maybe you can use this info to find a newer model.

Don't seem to be any for sale on ebay, or much of anywhere for that matter.

Just owning one of these is asking to be taken to court by the RIAA :lol:

I've had it for a couple years now, so I don't remember exactly, but if I recall correctly it was only a couple hundred bucks or so. I bought it with Yen, though. :lol: so that clouds the issue even further.

It's called the Teac RW-D280.

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Detai...spx?NewsId=5581

The site below is selling it for 60,000 yen, which is less than US$500.

I'm sure I got it for far less than that. No way I payed that much.

http://www.teac.co.jp/av/all_prod/cdr/rwd280.html

If you have to pay that much a USB turntable might be cheaper.

Maybe you can use this info to find a newer model.

Don't seem to be any for sale on ebay, or much of anywhere for that matter.

Just owning one of these is asking to be taken to court by the RIAA :lol:

Thanks for that info, I might go for a usb turntable, I think you can get them for about 100 pounds or so !!! but will look into what you sent.... :beer:

Edited by leddy

Thanks for that info, I might go for a usb turntable, I think you can get them for about 100 pounds or so !!! but will look into what you sent.... :beer:

We are way off topic, but the only advantage of the CD burning deck over the USB turntable, is that you can choose your turntable... Probably not such a big issue to burn some old well used records, though. My TT is nothing special, that's for sure. :) Thanks for the brew, :beer:

One of my favorite musical highlights is Jimmy Page's reappearance with The Firm. Emerging from his post-Zeppelin somnolence after close to five years, I attended my first Firm show on March 7th, 1985 in Milwaukee. We were let in early enough to see Page checking his violin bow and guitar sound from behind a black curtain. There was really no one around and I couldn't believe Jimmy was out there prepping his own sound.

The image of Jimmy stormimg out from behind his amps to begin Closer is brain -ingrained. He looked possessed as he slayed City Sirens. It was a fucking HOT show!

One of my favorite musical highlights is Jimmy Page's reappearance with The Firm. Emerging from his post-Zeppelin somnolence after close to five years, I attended my first Firm show on March 7th, 1985 in Milwaukee. We were let in early enough to see Page checking his violin bow and guitar sound from behind a black curtain. There was really no one around and I couldn't believe Jimmy was out there prepping his own sound.

The image of Jimmy stormimg out from behind his amps to begin Closer is brain -ingrained. He looked possessed as he slayed City Sirens. It was a fucking HOT show!

Yes found memories for me at Wembley for the same !!!

this band was TO BE the supergroup of the era. didn't work out that way :(

No but it was still good to have page doing something productive and for us to have the chance to buy the albums and see the tours !!! :)

I have seen pretty much every major band one can name and to this day, the best show I've ever seen was on te Firm's Mean Business tour in 1986. I still think the 2nd LP is extremely under-rated and the power-force of Page & Rodgers when shamefully unnoticed. Perhaps the time just wasn't right.

Agree with you totally on the 2nd album. Timing was off - rock was moving more into hair metal in those days and bands like Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, etc were moving to the core.

Also, Paul Rodgers has never really seized the spotlight after Bad Co. - even with Queen now, somehow he's projected more of a honest blues singer and workman like persona for me than a rock star. Page needs to work with rock stars. Page's decision to work with Coverdale made a lot of sense from that perspective.

I remember when the 1st Firm album came out and how elated I was that Jimmy was doing ANYTHING, even though the album was less than stellar. I went to their show in Costa Mesa, CA in the first half of 85-dont remember the exact date - i think it was in March.

Sorry to say, but Jimmy seemed drunk and sounded rusty...I was drunk myself and waaaay in the back, so who knows...was dissappointed, though, my first time seeing JP...

NOW FOR THE GOOD NEWS!

I was home on leave for three weeks in May '86 and I believe that is when i saw them (at the 'old barn' , ie, the St.Louis arena). Jimmy was NOT drunk and in fact, HE SMOKED the place! In my mind he redeemed himself from the Costa Mesa show. His solo on "Live in Peace" was unbelievably good and "Cadillac" was awesome as well, with that 'dirty' slide sound going on...Great show!

'Course, that was pretty much the end of the Firm, though I dont thing anyone really new the official reason. I guess it's because they weren't selling that well, etc, etc.

Then came the "Outrider" lp, which IMO pretty much sucked. THEN came the most noxious Coverdale/Page...some of the songs acually weren't too bad....it's just that, well, Coverdale is no Percy, not even close...thank God UNLEDDED came next-saw both STL shows, '95 and '98-trippin' both times! Whoops!

Edited by stonefreelee

I went to their show in Costa Mesa, CA in the first half of 85-dont remember the exact date - i think it was in March.

Sorry to say, but Jimmy was drunk and his playing sounded rusty and sloppy. I was very dissapointed at the time. I believe Jimmy even may have worn an outfit that resembled his '77 tour get-up-the white satin deal with the dragons on his legs....

NOW FOR THE GOOD NEWS!

I was scheduled to get out of the marines july 3rd, 1986. I was home on leave for three weeks in May and I believe that is when i saw them (at the 'old barn' , ie, the St.Louis arena). Jimmy was not drunk and in fact, HE SMOKED the place! In my mind he redeemed himself from the Costa Mesa show. His solo on "Live in Peace" was unbelievably good and "Cadillac" was awesome as well, with that 'dirty' slide sound going on...Great show!

The Costa Mesa concert was held at the Pacific Amphitheatre on Sat, Mar 16, 1985.

I have several photographs from this concert so I can tell you with certainty he wore

a dark blue Hawaiian shirt and plain white pants, which was typical for that tour. I've

also got fan reviews indicating it was a lively, spirited show, but that is not to say

your view is any less valid. One thing I did find interesting, and this is depicted in the

photos, is that Jimmy lifted his right leg and "played" his shoe. This was quite possibly

done in jest during band introductions.

The St. Louis concert you attended was held on Tue, May 13th, 1986.

The Firm, best thing he's done post Zep, easily. Being backed up by a fretless bass brought out some freaky playing from him. Too bad he went eventually to C/P, with embarrasingly badly written songs, mostly under the guise of cartoonish hair metal, and at a time when even hair metalers had moved on. Page was COMPLETELY out of touch there. Why did he sanitize his guitar sound so much? That riff in Shake My Tree could be anybody. Silly anyway, small wander Plant rejected it for the last Zep album.

Page is great in all the Firm videos, loose, groovy, fun. In the C/P videos, he looks WAY too self important. Rock diva.

I hope he does remaster the cds by the Firm. Wow he played great on those cds, proving he could still evolve his playing after Zep. Listen to what he does at the end of Satisfaction Guaranteed. What great sounds!