Interviews with Jimmy Page,2014.

Ross62

That French program is sure off-the-wall, isn't it? I've seen other celebrities interviewed on it; I always wish non-English programs would use subtitles instead of blaring the translation over the person's voice, although it doesn't sound like there was a whole lot of actual talking. It was fun to see JP play again for a few seconds, even if he was reluctant. Wish he'd realize how many of us would be satisfied at this point just watching him play an acoustic set for an hour.

Jimmy is still very shy it seems! Then when that guitar is in his hands, he turns into not so shy! :)

That little snippet will be watched over and over again by many folks! Acoustic is great, anything is great!

Thanks for posting, Deborah J!

Catastrophic radio interview earlier today with Paul & Young Ron in Miami...these guys suck!

http://www.big1059.com/onair/paul-and-young-ron-show-47897/jimmy-page-on-pnyr-12909193/

It's not from today. This was already posted here yesterday...go back to page one. What do you think everyone on this thread has been bitching about for the past day? Haha.

That was hilarious and perfectly goofy. I loved the host's first comment.

More than made up for Monsieur Desagreable in the last few audio interviews.

French is just not a rock and roll language. The word for pic made me spit out my coffee.

And they got him to play. Advantage: France.

That was hilarious and perfectly goofy. I loved the host's first comment.

More than made up for Monsieur Desagreable in the last few audio interviews.

French is just not a rock and roll language. The word for pic made me spit out my coffee.

And they got him to play. Advantage: France.

Yeah, a little Ramble On acoustic around the 14:00 minute mark, looked like he had fun doing it too!

That was a major huge treat for me, the few seconds of him playing, thanks for sharing that Deborah! Made my year.

^^Glad everyone enjoyed it as I did:-) Now for today..and I am not sure if this was posted...

Jimmy Page talks Led Zeppelin re-mastered

teamrock.png

Led Zeppelin’s Jimmy Page is to chat with Nicky Horne, on TeamRock Radio, ahead of the release of the next set of Led Zeppelin’s re-mastered companion discs. He also alludes to a new project on his own…

Jimmy on his new project – “It’s now time to be playing, I enjoying playing live and I want to get out there with a vehicle so I can bring some surprises to the party. And play some old favourites and some new favourites. I want to be seen to be playing, because at the moment nobody knows what I’m doing, so I need to manifest things.”

The one hour special will be broadcast later today (Friday 31st October from 6pm) on Nicky Horne’s Classic Rock Magazine Show where Jimmy talks about album IIII and Houses of the Holy. However, recapping on the recently released Led Zeppelin I, II and III, Jimmy said:

“Look I’ve got to tell you, there was a lot of dedication that went into this as a project. Never under estimate the Led Zeppelin audience. People really got it. They loved the artwork.”

Jimmy on Hedley Grange – “We were looking for a place to rehearse, Fleetwood Mac had rehearsed there and it was a residential house, so if we all committed to go there to work, to eat, sleep and make music, we could totally concentrate on the music for Album IIII, it was remarkable and inspiring. It was an organic process!”

When the Levee breaks – “It was originally recorded at Island Studio in Basing Street, and was recorded in at totally different vain, but it got revisited at Hedley Grange”.

Houses of the Holy – A totally different album, much more eclectic than IIII. Jimmy, on the rough mix of No Quarter, “The vocal version is really cool and it’s really eerie, but this is the beauty of being about to do this project and show everyone these shining gems. I came across this keyboard mix and it’s really masterful playing. It’s nice to be able to expose it, so people can hear that. John Paul Jones is having a field day with the keyboards”.

“He had a real twinkle in his eye when he teased the idea of going out on the road with a ‘new vehicle’, I reckon we are in for some big news from Mr Page next year.” – TeamRock Radio’s Classic Rock Show presenter, Nicky Horne

The next disc in the series will be, Physical Graffiti, Jimmy says “Some interesting things coming there!”

TeamRock.com also owns a portfolio of rock magazines, including Classic Rock and Metal Hammer, Blues, Prog and AOR. You can tune into TeamRock Radio via DAB, online at TeamRock.com and on the TuneIn app.

Jimmy interviewed by Trudy & Jim of WCSX 94.7 FM Radio in Detroit on October 28th:

http://www.wcsx.com/trudiandjim/2014/10/28/jimmy-page

Always such a pleasure to hear Jimmy, thanks for posting! It would be understandable if he lost some of his enthusiasm when answering the same questions day in and day out, but instead, he does a great job of answering as if it were the first time asked.

October 31, 2014 7:58 pm

Jimmy Page: rock legend

Ludovic Hunter-Tilney

Can the veteran guitarist escape Led Zeppelin’s legacy? He insists the band was a marriage of equals

Jimmy Page, photographed for the FT in London

I am ushered into a private room in a London hotel near Kensington Gardens to meet Jimmy Page. Hotel rooms loom large in the Led Zeppelin mythology, the scene of wild debauches involving any combination of groupies, drugs and necromancy. But all that lies long ago in the past, way back in the band’s 1970s pomp. Today the Led Zeppelin guitarist sits on a sofa with a glass of sparkling water in front of him, dressed entirely in black from scarf to shoes, his long white hair tied in a ponytail.

He looks good: exactly how you’d hope a rock god who turned 70 this year to look. About a mile or so away is his London home, The Tower House, one of the masterpieces of 19th-century Gothic Revival domestic architecture. The hotel’s heavy wood-panelled room with old prints on the wall is a minor echo of the style. Page loves high Victorian culture.

I’ve joined him to discuss the new digital reissues of Led Zeppelin’s untitled fourth album and the fifth, Houses of the Holy. Originally released in 1971 and 1973 respectively, they are the latest in the band’s catalogue to be remastered, a process overseen by Page. The new editions sound crisp and punchy. Each comes with previously unreleased versions of the songs. But an awkward question nags at me. Why can’t this remarkable guitarist escape Led Zeppelin’s heritage?

He formed the band in 1968 from the ashes of The Yardbirds. Before that came several years of session work when he established himself as one of London’s top jobbing musicians. Another crack session musician, John Paul Jones, joined him in Led Zeppelin. The Midlands duo of Robert Plant and John Bonham made up the rest of the foursome.

Their debut album came out in 1969 and was an instant hit; especially in the US where their technically sophisticated but viscerally powerful blending of blues, hard rock and folk rock struck a chord. They dominated the 1970s as The Beatles had the previous decade.

“The first album was without doubt the best guitar playing that I’d played up to that point,” Page says. “I wanted to make it a guitar tour de force that covered acoustic guitar, finger-style guitar and blues guitar, slide guitar and what could be sort of trance rhythms, which people call rock.”

The ex-session man insisted on full control, producing the albums, resisting record label interference, refusing to release singles. “Because I knew exactly what I wanted to do,” he says, “I didn’t want anyone else, like an A&R man or whatever, getting in the way and saying: ‘“Babe I’m Gonna Leave You” isn’t a good idea.’ No, no, no, no. So there was serious focus and clarity of thought in all of this.”

Page’s desire to be in charge gave him a sinister reputation in Led Zeppelin’s peak as a puppet master, a paranoid and shadowy figure. But he insists the band was a marriage of equals.

“You’ve got four people that are really, really good musicians, superfine master musicians in fact. During that time you’d find bands that might have one superb player and not necessarily all the rest were on the same level. I was very keen to get something whereby everybody was really strong in character and playing. I really believe that the four of us coming together, we never played like we did in Led Zeppelin.”

So they became like a single organism, a single personality? “Absolutely. These four individual artists come together and play superbly as a band. And that’s the fifth element of it,” he says.

The “fifth element” in medieval alchemy is ether. “I cling unto the burning Aethyr like Lucifer that fell through the Abyss,” wrote the occultist Aleister Crowley, a strong influence on Page. But there were other, less lurid influences at play too, such as the font used for the song titles in Led Zeppelin IV’s sleevenotes, a tribute to William Morris’s 19th-century arts and crafts movement.

“Absolutely! At one point it was said that every major country house in Britain had a William Morris piece [of furniture] in it. Whether that was true or not I don’t know. Good PR job for Morris,” says Page with a laugh.

Led Zeppelin IV was recorded in a Victorian stately home in Hampshire. “It was really productive,” Page says. “There were numbers that came basically out of thin air, the aura of spontaneity. I remember Robert [Plant] was really channelling his lyrics there. And we were able to come up with things to the degree of ‘When the Levee Breaks’, which is really dark and ominous, and then something really caressing, super-caressing really, like ‘Going to California’.”

Houses of the Holy was even more stylistically varied, going from reggae to funk. I quote a comically wrong 1973 review to Page that unfavourably compared the album to the “ferocious” Slade. He doesn’t see the funny side. Led Zeppelin suffered at the hands of the critics. “They weren’t ready for these radical departures that were going on,” Page says.

Remastering all nine Zeppelin albums has been “a lengthy process. It involved hundreds of hours of listening to tapes”. Has he encountered new ideas and themes in the LPs? Plant’s lyrics about the “two paths you can go by” in “Stairway to Heaven” might represent a young man’s sense of possibilities but come to mean something quite different 40 years later.

“It’s a good question,” says Page – but he doesn’t supply an answer. “I could really think about that for ages . . . You’d better go to the next question because I can ponder that one from this angle” – he clicks his finger – “and that angle.”

The passage of time doesn’t appear to have robbed him of his guitar skills. I recall seeing him play at a show by his old friend the folk-rocker Roy Harper three years ago and being amazed by the power and expressiveness of his cameo.

“Really?” Page says when I tell him, in a surprised tone. “Thank you so much.”

He is dogged by questions about whether Led Zeppelin will reunite again following their one-off show at London’s O2 Arena in 2007, an increasingly unlikely possibility. (“Basically there isn’t a band,” John Paul Jones told the FT in 2012.) But the question is a red herring, for the real mystery lies elsewhere. Page’s last studio album was released in 1998, a collaboration with Plant. Why does he find it harder to work outside Led Zeppelin than Plant or Jones, both of whom have active solo careers?

“It’s the time,” he says. “I’ve been involved in quite a number of projects on the run. It sort of goes back to the ‘Celebration Day’ at the O2, getting that together. I did a website and a book [the photographic autobiography Jimmy Page by Jimmy Page]. I’ve done all the preparation for these releases. I thought all of it was really important, essential really, to setting up a situation whereby then I could play live.”

Has he got there? “Well, I’ve got new music,” he says, somewhat cagily. He hopes to record it next year, but has no concrete plans as yet. “No, not as yet. The only concrete plan is to do it. What I’m thinking of doing is a solo project, which involves all the areas of guitar that I’ve been into, but with new music, so there’s more of everything. With some surprises, that’s the key to it.”

So the archival part of his work is over? “I know that I’ve completed that area of things.” So he now can move on to the next? “Yes, that’s right.” At the risk of impertinence, I ask what it was like turning 70, arriving at the threshold of old age. “That’s not impertinent,” he says with amusement. “That’s pertinent. Well, it’s not like turning 60. You go: ‘Oh my goodness, I’m in my 70s now’.”

A numerological significance comes to mind. “Maybe I did my best work in the 1970s, so maybe I’ve got work to be done now, in my 70s,” he says, with a teasing smile. There’s still time for new magic from the old conjuror.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/ccbf95fe-5f6c-11e4-986c-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3Hw2xyQzq

The remastered ‘Led Zeppelin IV’ and ‘Houses of the Holy’ are out now on Rhino/Atlantic

Photographs: Anna Huix; Richard E Aaron/Redferns

I came across this interview today, it was only uploaded onto YouTube yesterday. Hopefully no one else has posted it, I've not came across it on here but apologies if it's already up. Not sure of the exact date it took place but clearly very recent. Um, pretty interesting what he has to say about the accelerating tempo of Stairway...that's a new one to me haha.

Jimmy Page - The Making Of Led Zeppelin IV | Classic Rock Magazine

It is now up on you tube in case anyone could not get the link:-) I LOVED THIS!!

Jimmy Page, l'interview - Le Grand Journal

November 4th, 2014 | 12:31 pm

Led Zeppelin’s Jimmy Page Discusses New Autobiography With Artist Jeff Koons In Front Of Rapturous NYC Crowd

by Ben Smith (@BHSmithNYC)

PageMain.jpg

It’s been a busy year for Jimmy Page. Earlier this year, the Led Zeppelin guitarist began an exhaustive reissue campaign, expanding each of the band’s classic releases to include companion discs of outtakes and extensive liner notes, packed with rare pics. Last month saw the release of Page’s “photographic autobiography,” Jimmy Page by Jimmy Page, which tells the reclusive rock legend’s life story in hundreds of never seen before photos, from his start as an innocent choirboy to the hedonistic heights of rock stardom. Last night Page appeared at New York City’s 92nd St. Y for a conversation with famed modern artist Jeff Koons to discuss, literally, his past, present and future.

Page-Koons.jpg

While the staged, sit down interview was mature and civilized, the room was packed with rowdy Zeppelin fanatics who cheered as Page sauntered on stage and whenever his legendary band was mentioned. “Jimmy you ARE a God!” screamed a female fan at one point, as if she was watching one of his epic guitar solos. Among the fans was artist and interviewer Jeff Koons himself, who first heard the group as a teenager and said “I listen to your music every day.” For his part, Page is still the consummate rock star, dapper and eloquent in discussing his life which was “infected with music” at a young age.

Koons hand picked his favorite photos from the new book which were flashed on stage and fed the discussion. Tickets to the event reached well over $100, but Page gave fans their money’s worth with captivating stories from his days as a session musician and with British Invasion group The Yardbirds. Speaking of a particularly famous boyhood chum former bandmate, Page said “Jeff Beck and I go back to the point where, when we first meet, we were both playing homemade guitars.” While discussing Led Zeppelin’s speedy ascent, Page said “I knew exactly what I wanted to do,” adding “Led Zeppelin I was going to be a guitar tour de force.” Perhaps the greatest takeaway from the event, however, was Page’s announcement that fans could expect new music from him in 2015. “I’m still a young man,” he said as the evening concluded, which was appropriately met with rapturous applause.

Jimmy-Page-Cover.jpg

The cover of Jimmy Page by Jimmy Page, the new “photographic autobiography from the legendary classic rock guitarist.

http://www.vh1.com/music/tuner/2014-11-04/jimmy-page-discusses-new-autobiography/

Archived