Interviews with Jimmy Page,2014.

Ross62

This was actually a worthwhile interview for all that Page stonewalled Klosterman. Klosterman did his research beforehand. He knew going into this interview that all of Zeppelin's members operate under a code of silence that would do the Mafia proud. He was bang on with his comment that Page is "unknowable". Here we have a celebrity who has been a public figure since he was in his early twenties and there are still numerous facts about his very public career we don't know. In the age of Facebook, Twitter and camera phones no less. This doesn't happen unless the celebrity wants it that way. Page revealed as much by refusing to give details about parts of his past that are public knowledge to anyone who knows anything at all about Led Zeppelin.

Still, I think I understand Page's viewpoint. If everyone knows he had a problem with drugs then why ask him about it? Ditto for any conflict between he and Robert Plant. The only reason journalists ask him these questions is because they want to hear the gory details then share them with their readers. Why should he slice himself open for their amusement? Personally, I think it takes courage to publicly admit to your weaknesses and failures. However, I also have a perverse admiration for Page's refusal to kowtow to our current confessional culture.

Well, it's that endless tango between journalist and the person being interviewed, right? The journalist is always trying to get something from the "star," while the star is, in most cases, trying to give the journalist just enough to sound interesting but not too revealing. You're right that the journalists ask these questions because they want new gory details, but that's their job. They have to produce an "interesting" product for the publication that is paying them. All the better if they can get a scoop. I don't endorse journalists ambushing their interviewees with mean-spirited questions (unless they deserve it), but the drugs questions were very much in relation to the music.

And as to why would any public figure share something unsavory about himself or herself, I think that appearing honest -- and more importantly, human -- to one's fans and the public can be quite endearing. Some people might feel the need to publicly "come clean." Others might feel that sharing their experiences with the public might help those who are struggling out there (a little self-congratulatory, I think, but nevertheless...). I can think of all sorts of reasons why someone would speak candidly about their past. It's not necessarily for the "amusement" of others -- that's no doubt part of it, but it's also and opportunity to show some of the "real you" to your fans, to humanize yourself.

JP obviously doesn't have an interest in doing any of this, but I thought I'd respond -- unless you were being strictly rhetorical, in which case, feel free to disregard.

It seems Jimmy with these rounds of interviews has really closed up with the controversial questions. You may remember back in the early 2000s Black Crowes/Led Zeppelin DVD interviews he really opened up and answered the questions he now refuses to answer. He even did it in a humorous way.

I wish I could find this interview, but it was a local radio station who interviewed him when he was touring with the Black Crowes. They were like those DJs in Miami. The two questions that I really remember were:

Jimmy, who smoked more pot, Led Zeppelin at their hey day or the Black Crowes? He said "That's a great question, I may have to take a tally on that.

Which one have you done more played Stairway to Heaven or masterbated? I always found masterbating to be a bit degrading for me I just get someone to do it for me.

It was a great interview and Jimmy was funny.

Then when he was doing the DVD interviews he spoke about:

- Drugs being a big part for him throughout his career with Zeppelin

- Sitting on an outside Air Conditioner at his high story hotel building

- Staying up for 5 days near the end of their 1973 American tour when they filmed at MSG

- Everyone on the plane snorting cocaine with $100 bills and leaving them for the stewardess.

- Going to party at Studio 54, but not being able to remember much.

- Going to the clubs all night to party to come down from performing.

These are not exact quotes, but he answered them in a way to have a laugh. I remember him also saying how his behavior was probably reckless especially with having loved ones and he has seen too many people lose their lives.

Years later with the interviews he seemed like he was less reluctant to answer those questions. Now he won't even answer. I wonder why he has toned down so much. Family? Management? He now he realizes he was too personal with the interviews? Sick and tired of answering those questions just like the Kinks question?

Why don't we hear more about JPJ on drugs? He must have done them too. Heck, he's riding a horse in TSRTS that's gotta be symbolic ("on horse" druing the show). He always had a stoned look on his face during those years.

I wanna know what was with JPJ during the Celebration Day press conference a few years ago. He seemed so out of it and totally spaced out that it really shocked me. I remember towards the end an interviewer was asking each band member a question and it went from Robert to JPJ. JPJ took like 5 seconds to realize he had to answer, looked around, and said "oh, rock and roll was a big part of his life, same with me too" or something of the like. Anybody know what his deal was?

34:08

ANYWAYS, thread hijacking out of the way, I really thought Jimmy's interview with GQ was really conducted a bad way. The interviewer really seemed to be pushing Jimmy's buttons, and not in a good way. Like he was trying to test Pagey's waters and when he hit the limit, he pushed it a bit further. This interview could have been a lot better if 1/2 of it wasn't their back and forth stuff that could've been avoided. Just my opinion...

http://www.gq.com/moty/2014/jimmy-page-men-of-the-year?currentPage=1

John Paul Jones in my opinion seems very together. But.. Imo he does have a rather odd sense of humor.. Robert Plant has even called it an acquired taste. As far as drugs I wouldn't want to guess, but in some of his stories of the past, he has mentioned smoking pot more than once. Not a big deal..

:(

Of course he did drugs back then. He admitted as much in more than one interview. IIRC, he made the comment "it could have been any of us" about John Bonham's death which I took to mean that all of them (including JPJ himself) played fast and loose with various substances back in the day. One more thing...shortly after the O2 concert, Plant commented they didn't have alcohol backstage because the others don't drink. He didn't say "Jimmy and Jason" don't drink. He said "The others don't drink." I assumed he was including JPJ among "the others." Make of this what you will.

I think Jimmy has become more reluctant with age and the increase in hindsight and wisdom that age usually brings about

I think that is spot on. There is also not much value in visiting the darker side of what just was. For all the greatness that is Led Zeppelin's brilliance, where is the value? Nothing in life is all roses. Who the fuck wants to see all the thorns in great detail besides us trashy bastards (the general public who eat up scandals)? Fuck us! :rant:

I would personally LOVE to listen to Jimmy speak about the creativeness, specific songs and their origins and stories around them, and the times and experience generally from his view. We all know he went hard for some time, like many, many elite musicians do, and while it also might be interesting, I don't give a rats if he was to never go there. Ever.

I wanna know what was with JPJ during the Celebration Day press conference a few years ago. He seemed so out of it and totally spaced out that it really shocked me. I remember towards the end an interviewer was asking each band member a question and it went from Robert to JPJ. JPJ took like 5 seconds to realize he had to answer, looked around, and said "oh, rock and roll was a big part of his life, same with me too" or something of the like. Anybody know what his deal was?

Part bored out of his mind, part taking the piss, part actually surprised somebody had asked him a question. Robert's always been the mouthpiece of the band, followed way behind by Jimmy. How many interviews from back in the day can you think of which actually involve JPJ?

I would personally LOVE to listen to Jimmy speak about the creativeness, specific songs and their origins and stories around them, and the times and experience generally from his view. We all know he went hard for some time, like many, many elite musicians do, and while it also might be interesting, I don't give a rats if he was to never go there. Ever.

Amen to that!!!

There's just stuff he doesn't want to discuss anymore It is that simple...there's things I am sure Robert won't discuss- but are so tragic people know better than to even ask...Is it a USA thing or people worldwide that think being celebrities means they owe us whatever we want sensitive interviews, "reunions"???.....I have been with my 2nd wife 14 years now I dont answer ?'s about my first marriage simply because it is no one's business. Maybe Jimmy is just plain tired of the same old ?'s not directly related to the creation of great music.

Part bored out of his mind, part taking the piss, part actually surprised somebody had asked him a question. Robert's always been the mouthpiece of the band, followed way behind by Jimmy. How many interviews from back in the day can you think of which actually involve JPJ?

Good points, that makes plenty of sense considering how little JPJ was actually given the spotlight.

John Paul made a comment about "doing more drugs than I care to remember"... But he was "quieter" about it than the others. He didn't get into specifics either.. Other than a couple of pot references. I read somewhere.. Maybe here, that David Bowie said the first time he smoked pot was with Mr JPJ.. I'll try to find it..

Good points, that makes plenty of sense considering how little JPJ was actually given the spotlight.

Which only shows how clueless and lazy many rock critics were back in the day. JPJ was integral to Led Zeppelin's sound. He arranged the songs, co-wrote several of them and is a kick-ass bass player. He and John Bonham formed one of (if not the best) rhythm sections in rock. Their bass lines and drumming anchored Robert's vocals and Jimmy's guitar riffs; giving Zep's music it's distinctive heavy sound.

Lovely.. can't wait for Jimmy's new project to sparkle :cheer: ( wish there was a more Christmassy alternative here .. )

Have to say .. as I thought last time Classic Rock posted their first piece .. how wonderful to have got him out of that sofa/library scenario where so many others have recorded interviews with him ..

AND how totally unprofessional to go to so much trouble, shoot him in a great place, then light him SO badly that it looks like an alien being has settled into his right cheek.

This is not age, this is LIGHTING .

Whatever haunts Jimmy's past I am pretty sure it is not to be found in his right cheek !

Archived