Which songs did Bonzo play a key role on?

unleasher

All of em baby, all of em!

Took the words right out of my mouth! Without John Bonham, things would have been drastically different and not in a good way - hence the reason they disbanded when he passed. As to the OP, you can always check the song-writing credits, Bonzo is listed on several because his role on those songs was of such importance and changed the way those songs were handeled. But truth be known, even the songs he's not credited on... believe me... he had a huge impact on!

"Achilles Last Stand", "The Song Remains the Same", "Dazed and Confused", "Four Sticks", "Black Dog", "Fool in the Rain", "South Bound Saurez", "The Wanton Song", "Trampled Under Foot", "Living Loving Maid", "Hots on for Nowhere", "Since I've Been Loving You", "Ramble On"...these are just some of the songs where Bonham was not credited as one of the songwriters yet had an immense impact on the song nonetheless. The fact is, if the song has drums on it, then Bonzo played a key role...credited or not.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I agree with all the above ,Out on the Tiles,Levee,Archilles,etc.But one really leapt into in my eardrums when the needle glided its way to track two on my just bought it, brand new,Coda lp on my Phillips 3 in 1,Poor Tom.Ahhh,all those Stranglers,Jam,Ramones,Costello lps were quietly laid aside for a month or two.

Here's a list of tracks that I feel really depend on Bonham.

Zeppelin I
Good Times Bad Times
Communication breakdown
How Many More Times
Zeppelin II
The lemon Song
Ramble On
Zeppelin III
Friends
Since I've been Loving You
Out On The Tiles
Gallows Pole
Bron-Y-Aur Stomp
Zeppelin IV
Four Sticks
When The Levee Breaks
Houses Of The Holy
The Song Remains The Same
The Crunge
The Ocean
Physical Graffiti
In My Time Of Dying
Kashmir
The Wanton Song
Boogie With Stu
Black Country Woman
Presence
Achillies Last Stand
For Your Life
Royal Orleans
Candy Store Rock
Hots On For Nowhere
In Through The Out Door
Carouselambra
Fool In The Rain
Hot Dog
I'm Gonna Crawl
Coda
We're Gonna Groove
Poor Tom
Walter's Walk
Bonzo's Montreux
Wearing and Tearing

Here's a list of tracks that I feel really depend on Bonham.

Zeppelin I
Good Times Bad Times
Communication breakdown
How Many More Times
Zeppelin II
The lemon Song
Ramble On
Zeppelin III
Friends
Since I've been Loving You
Out On The Tiles
Gallows Pole
Bron-Y-Aur Stomp
Zeppelin IV
Four Sticks
When The Levee Breaks
Houses Of The Holy
The Song Remains The Same
The Crunge
The Ocean
Physical Graffiti
In My Time Of Dying
Kashmir
The Wanton Song
Boogie With Stu
Black Country Woman
Presence
Achillies Last Stand
For Your Life
Royal Orleans
Candy Store Rock
Hots On For Nowhere
In Through The Out Door
Carouselambra
Fool In The Rain
Hot Dog
I'm Gonna Crawl
Coda
We're Gonna Groove
Poor Tom
Walter's Walk
Bonzo's Montreux
Wearing and Tearing

I tend to agree, but I think Whole Lotta Love has definitely got to go up there too. I can't think of another drummer who would have thought to shuffle like that and follow the guitar rather than just going for a standard kick/snare rock beat. Genius.

I tend to agree, but I think Whole Lotta Love has definitely got to go up there too. I can't think of another drummer who would have thought to shuffle like that and follow the guitar rather than just going for a standard kick/snare rock beat. Genius.

It's supposed to be there, Somehow I overlooked it.

The best way to answer this is probably to consult the actual writing credits. Here are all the Led Zeppelin songs where Bonzo's contribution was deemed worthy of writer's credit by the other members of the band:

Led Zeppelin

Good Times Bad Times

Communication Breakdown

How Many More Times

Led Zeppelin II

Whole Lotta Love

The Lemon Song

Heartbreaker

Moby Dick

Led Zeppelin III

Out on the Tiles

Hey Hey What Can I Do

Led Zeppelin IV

Rock and Roll

When the Levee Breaks

Houses of the Holy

The Crunge

D'yer Mak'er

The Ocean

Physical Graffiti

In My Time of Dying

Kashmir

Boogie with Stu

Presence

Royal Orleans

Coda/others

Bonzo's Montreux

Darlene

The Girl I Love She Got Long Black Wavy Hair

That's a pretty extensive list, but a few songs I consider notably absent are Since I've Been Loving You, Achille's Last Stand, and Fool in the Rain. My gut-feeling is that absolutely none of the songs he recorded with them would have been as good if they had used a different drummer. This, combined with the fact that they were occasionally cribbing lyrics and riffs from other artists, means it probably would have been more honest to credit each song to the band itself, rather than specific members, like Radiohead does.

The best way to answer this is probably to consult the actual writing credits. Here are all the Led Zeppelin songs where Bonzo's contribution was deemed worthy of writer's credit by the other members of the band:

Led Zeppelin

Good Times Bad Times

Communication Breakdown

How Many More Times

Led Zeppelin II

Whole Lotta Love

The Lemon Song

Heartbreaker

Moby Dick

Led Zeppelin III

Out on the Tiles

Hey Hey What Can I Do

Led Zeppelin IV

Rock and Roll

When the Levee Breaks

Houses of the Holy

The Crunge

D'yer Mak'er

The Ocean

Physical Graffiti

In My Time of Dying

Kashmir

Boogie with Stu

Presence

Royal Orleans

Coda/others

Bonzo's Montreux

Darlene

The Girl I Love She Got Long Black Wavy Hair

That's a pretty extensive list, but a few songs I consider notably absent are Since I've Been Loving You, Achille's Last Stand, and Fool in the Rain. My gut-feeling is that absolutely none of the songs he recorded with them would have been as good if they had used a different drummer. This, combined with the fact that they were occasionally cribbing lyrics and riffs from other artists, means it probably would have been more honest to credit each song to the band itself, rather than specific members, like Radiohead does.

Despite the writing credits, I like my list better. Take Poor Tom for example, That song would be nothing without Bonham's peculiar beat.

Archived