Predictions for Coda

mckjuana

Anyone think Jimmy will take out were gonna groove groove and icqyb... i love the tracks but they stick out like sore thumbs... i know they said they used everything but is there anything that could fill the space to make the album more cohesive

There's more chance of Satan ice skating to his work than Page changing the sequence of the original albums.

• 3 months later...

It is now June 2015 and the track listings for the companion discs for Presence, In Through The Out Door, and Coda have now been posted on Amazon. I find it interesting that Travelling Riverside Blues is included, but White Summer/Black Mountain Side, The Girl I Love, and Something Else were not. I wonder if Jimmy Page is going to redo The BBC Sessions soon. The original did not include WS/BMS but a remake may include it? That early instrumental is the only track from the 1990 Remaster Project that has not yet been brought forward into the 2014-15 reissues, unless you consider Moby Dick/Bonzo's Montreux a separate track.

It is now June 2015 and the track listings for the companion discs for Presence, In Through The Out Door, and Coda have now been posted on Amazon. I find it interesting that Travelling Riverside Blues is included, but White Summer/Black Mountain Side, The Girl I Love, and Something Else were not. I wonder if Jimmy Page is going to redo The BBC Sessions soon. The original did not include WS/BMS but a remake may include it? That early instrumental is the only track from the 1990 Remaster Project that has not yet been brought forward into the 2014-15 reissues, unless you consider Moby Dick/Bonzo's Montreux a separate track.

It's odd that 'White Summer/Black Mountain Side' hasn't been included on the remastered Coda, odd indeed, although I think it might have to do with time constraints on vinyl, it lasts a full eight minutes and with all the other stuff on the companion discs, maybe Jimmy thought it ran a little long and jettisoned it, if that's the case, it's a shame. To be frank, I think the way the tracks on the Coda companion discs are spread out is a bit of a mess, it would have been better if the standard edition had been a two-disc set, with the second disc comprising the bonus tracks from 1993 in addition to both 'Sugar Mama' and 'Key to the Highway/Trouble in Mind' - the latter of which should have been on Coda, with 'St Tristan's Sword' put on the LZIII companion disc - leaving the alternate takes and Bombay sessions for the companion disc and the half-finished instrumental outtakes on each respective album's companion disc, if you follow me... everything neat and tidy and in it's rightful place.

Just my own humble, fallible, and purely subjective opinion, of course...

It's odd that 'White Summer/Black Mountain Side' hasn't been included on the remastered Coda, odd indeed, although I think it might have to do with time constraints on vinyl, it lasts a full eight minutes and with all the other stuff on the companion discs, maybe Jimmy thought it ran a little long and jettisoned it, if that's the case, it's a shame. To be frank, I think the way the tracks on the Coda companion discs are spread out is a bit of a mess, it would have been better if the standard edition had been a two-disc set, with the second disc comprising the bonus tracks from 1993 in addition to both 'Sugar Mama' and 'Key to the Highway/Trouble in Mind' - the latter of which should have been on Coda, with 'St Tristan's Sword' put on the LZIII companion disc - leaving the alternate takes and Bombay sessions for the companion disc and the half-finished instrumental outtakes on each respective album's companion disc, if you follow me... everything neat and tidy and in it's rightful place.

Just my own humble, fallible, and purely subjective opinion, of course...

I believe that Jimmy Page was trying to prevent having the same track appear twice on the same disc. For example, there would have been 2 alternate versions of "When The Levee Breaks" on the fourth album companion disc had he followed this suggestion. But, a redone BBC Sessions would be great, and, if Page has to increase to 3 discs, as opposed to 2 for the first release, so be it. WS/BMS needs to go SOMEWHERE in the 2014-2015 core catalog.

I believe that Jimmy Page was trying to prevent having the same track appear twice on the same disc. For example, there would have been 2 alternate versions of "When The Levee Breaks" on the fourth album companion disc had he followed this suggestion. But, a redone BBC Sessions would be great, and, if Page has to increase to 3 discs, as opposed to 2 for the first release, so be it. WS/BMS needs to go SOMEWHERE in the 2014-2015 core catalog.

Jimmy can place the alternate takes wherever he likes, but the trouble is when he drops entirely a track he deemed fit for inclusion on a previous edition ('WS/BMS' on the 1993 expanded Coda to be specific), that's where he starts losing me... my above suggestion for how Coda should have been arranged still stands; save the alternate takes solely for the companion disc so those who wish to can buy them whilst those who don't - like your's truly - can purchase the standard edition and still get all the tracks featured on previous editions... y'know, the way the rest of the remastered albums have been presented.

BBC Sessions is done and dusted, there'll be no revisitation of that, neither is one necessary...

Jimmy can place the alternate takes wherever he likes, but the trouble is when he drops entirely a track he deemed fit for inclusion on a previous edition, that's where he starts losing me... my above suggestion for how Coda should have been arranged still stands; save the alternate takes solely for the companion disc so those who wish to can buy them whilst those who don't - like your's truly - can purchase the standard edition and still get all the tracks featured on previous editions... y'know, the way the rest of the remastered albums have been presented.

BBC Sessions is done and dusted, there'll be no revisitation of that, neither is one necessary...

Going on what Page has been saying this whole project has been about remastering the original studio albums. The key word here being 'studio'.

Whilst WS/BMS was put on later releases of CODA (after the 1st slew of remasters), it wasn't a track that was recorded during recording sessions for any of the albums (since it was done for/by the BBC, and therein lies a whole other kettle of fish. It is after all available, albeit with different edits, on the BBC sessions), nor was it on the original release of CODA.

Everything else we've seen - bar the Olympia gig, and there were reasons for this, as we have been told - was recorded, mixed & mastered by the band. This line of reasoning also goes for the India recordings - never included on an album, but recorded by the band for possible release at some point.

As far as I can see this will be the reasoning & logic behind the exclusion of WS/BMS.

Going on what Page has been saying this whole project has been about remastering the original studio albums. The key word here being 'studio'.

Whilst WS/BMS was put on later releases of CODA (after the 1st slew of remasters), it wasn't a track that was recorded during recording sessions for any of the albums (since it was done for/by the BBC, and therein lies a whole other kettle of fish. It is after all available, albeit with different edits, on the BBC sessions), nor was it on the original release of CODA.

As far as I can see this will be the reasoning & logic behind the exclusion of WS/BMS.

'White Summer/Black Mountain Side' is not included on BBC Sessions (for whatever reason) yet is omitted from the upcoming remastered Coda, whilst 'Travelling Riverside Blues' is included on both the former and again on the latter... meaning you have the exact same track featured on two LZ albums, but a similarly-sourced track has been eliminated completely from the canon save for the Marino-remastered versions of 1990 onwards.

My point is that it didn't need to be excised altogether when it was deemed fit for inclusion in 1993, and even more so when another track - the aforementioned 'Travelling Riverside Blues' - has also been retained for the upcoming remastered edition.

Coming full circle, if Jimmy had put 'WS/BMS' on BBC Sessions, then all this would be a moot point, but he didn't...

'White Summer/Black Mountain Side' is not included on BBC Sessions (for whatever reason) yet is omitted from the upcoming remastered Coda, whilst 'Travelling Riverside Blues' is included on both the former and again on the latter... meaning you have the exact same track featured on two LZ albums, but a similarly-sourced track has been eliminated completely from the canon save for the Marino-remastered versions of 1990 onwards.

My point is that it didn't need to be excised altogether when it was deemed fit for inclusion in 1993, and even more so when another track - the aforementioned 'Travelling Riverside Blues' - has also been retained for the upcoming remastered edition.

Coming full circle, if Jimmy had put 'WS/BMS' on BBC Sessions, then all this would be a moot point, but he didn't...

Ooops. My mistake - I hadn't realised TRB was on the new release, and I haven't listened to the BBC sessions for a long time (my least favourite release I think). I utterly was convinced WS/BMS was on it, but I'm obviously wrong!

WS/BMS on the 1990 box set and on the 12-track coda was an electric guitar solo by Jimmy Page, except for some bass and drums bits here and there. It was the closest thing to a studio version of the track ever recorded, and would pass for a studio version if there was a smooth way to edit off the applause at the end.

Archived