Is Jimmy 'not up to it'?

curseddiamond

I agree about the Wow ....... But he is going to put together that phantom band with that phantom album with of course the phantom tour. This after he drags out the last releases of remasters of remasters. If we notice that its all a lie can you imagine how easily Robert Plant see's right through his charade.

I agree about the Wow ....... But he is going to put together that phantom band with that phantom album with of course the phantom tour. This after he drags out the last releases of remasters of remasters. If we notice that its all a lie can you imagine how easily Robert Plant see's right through his charade.

Go to the recent Kevin Shirley thread and read thru the efforts of Shirley and Page to get the DVD and HTWWW issues up to snuff. They busted their asses. Page probably worked just as hard on the remasters.. He hasn't been very active as a current artist, but his efforts as PRODUCER have been incredible.

I won't hold my breath waiting for a new Page solo effort but I won't accuse him of milking Zeppelin either. It's his legacy.

Would you rather have the shitty original half assed cd's Warners put out or something of quality that the bands brilliant Producer supervised? Robert and JPJ don't have to worry about it and good for them. Jimmy Page shouldn't catch grief for worrying about it either.

It amazing and frustrating how little SOME appreciate his Producer role in Led Zeppelin.

I enjoyed the 2007 O2 concert. So, leaving that 2007 concert out of this discussion:

When was the last time Page performed a "wow" performance in public with an electric guitar. I'm speaking of where Page is playing lead. I'm *not* speaking of instances where Page was playing some "great rhythm guitar", or in some "back-up" capacity.

When ????

By that criteria, I'll say when he performed with the Foo Fighters in 2008:

On his own I'd say at the New York Stock Exchange in 2005:

What I don't understand is why people are getting so worked up about this in the first place. IMO Jimmy has not been a reliably great

guitarist since the MID SEVENTIES. He is my favorite, but I saw Firm shows where he played like a totally mediocre bar band

veteran, if you can believe that. Thanks for probably being deleted again. But that means either I am boring or irrelevant , or I

Struck a nerve. Hopefully the latter.

What I don't understand is why people are getting so worked up about this in the first place. IMO Jimmy has not been a reliably great

guitarist since the MID SEVENTIES. He is my favorite, but I saw Firm shows where he played like a totally mediocre bar band

veteran, if you can believe that. Thanks for probably being deleted again. But that means either I am boring or irrelevant , or I

Yep. Playing smoothly and 100% perfectly has never been been what Jimmy's about. Feeling is what he has always been about.

Well everyone has off nights I guess, but the Firm show I saw in Phoenix in 85' the man was just as fantastic, played very well.

I have really good Firm audio/video, where in fact Page plays some brilliant solos. And not only that, but he has created a new style

and there is only a small Zep influence. It just so happens that the two years that the Firm had tours, I saw them in the NY area

5 times. It is just my opinion( I had other guitar buddies with me), and I am not GOD, Page played pretty much awful, disconnected

solos. In fact he was not even sloppy. I usually had very close seats and Page looked pretty drunk most of the shows.

It's just that since then I don't expect much , but IMO starting with the 88' solo tour , at times Page did recover his greatness.

Now to end the usual book length entries.

I have really good Firm audio/video, where in fact Page plays some brilliant solos. And not only that, but he has created a new style

and there is only a small Zep influence. It just so happens that the two years that the Firm had tours, I saw them in the NY area

5 times. It is just my opinion( I had other guitar buddies with me), and I am not GOD, Page played pretty much awful, disconnected

solos. In fact he was not even sloppy. I usually had very close seats and Page looked pretty drunk most of the shows.

It's just that since then I don't expect much , but IMO starting with the 88' solo tour , at times Page did recover his greatness.

Now to end the usual book length entries.

I lived in NY for a time and maybe that is the reason Page was drunk, NY has a fantastic nightlife and Page is no tea-totaler. Phoenix is a different story, a real nothing place in regard to nightlife, so, unless Page was content to party at the geriatric Pointe Tapatio Bar (this is where they stayed for their Phx layover) and pull a George Thurogood, he was probably pretty sober which explains why Page played as well as he did.

the Firm show I saw in Phoenix in 85' the man was just as fantastic, played very well.

He sure was, I was there also, do you remember what Page was wearing that night, wasn't he wearing a black long sleeve shirt? I have been looking for any pictures of that show that I can find., so far, have not found any. I had a decent seat. I looked above me and it was probably the biggest reefer cloud I have ever seen, anywhere. you could see a very heavy cloud and I know Jimmy and the band saw itI specifically when they came on stage and started playing the first thing Page did was look was look up at the super-huge reefer cloud, and as soon as he did that the audience just came out with an overwhelming roar. lol.

Yeah Page was so missed from his long touring exile from the states(apart from the 9?? ARMS gigs) that even when I saw him

there was a deafening roar from his initial appearance. Of all the pictures of Page from Firm shows(although the tours may not have

been all that well photographed) Iv'e never seen him wearing a long sleeved black shirt. But it's of course entirely possible.

I only saw Page in the Firm with 4 different shirts; a plain white undershirt(after tossing a white jacket), 2 Hawaiian shirts one white and

one black with flower accents all around, and finally a red golf shirt with thin white stripes(worn at Live Aid as well). Sorry that we are heading way off topic, but many agree Page has no future except exploring the

past.

He sure was, I was there also, do you remember what Page was wearing that night, wasn't he wearing a black long sleeve shirt? I have been looking for any pictures of that show that I can find., so far, have not found any. I had a decent seat. I looked above me and it was probably the biggest reefer cloud I have ever seen, anywhere. you could see a very heavy cloud and I know Jimmy and the band saw itI specifically when they came on stage and started playing the first thing Page did was look was look up at the super-huge reefer cloud, and as soon as he did that the audience just came out with an overwhelming roar. lol.

I believe both you and Mithril are correct, I think he wore a black jacket / long sleeve shirt for the first couple of songs, then he took it off and had on the white T shirt. Oh yeah, I remember that cloud O' weed. That was a pretty crazy show as far as weed, I had been to several shows before this (including Zeppelin at the Chicago Stadium in 77' at the tender age of 9) but never before was the odor of weed so damn strong. Everyone was lit just about, though I had not dabbled in any drugs or alcohol at this point in my life (My Marine buddies introduced me) I sure got one heck of a contact high!

I believe you and I have been to several shows together. FYI I graduated from Paradise Valley HS in 86' and for your posts it sounds like we are the same age, what HS did you attend Luvlz2?

By that criteria, I'll say when he performed with the Foo Fighters in 2008:

On his own I'd say at the New York Stock Exchange in 2005:

Page's playing was good with the Foos, but it was not a "WoW" performance, other than to say: WoW!! Jimmy Page played with JPJ and the Foos at Wembley Stadium!!! (The overall performance with the Foos was not so good, as the singer was just horrid!! I don't know people can listen to him, but then I am not, nor ever have been a fan of the Foo Fighters...)

The NY stock exchange.... That was not a wow performance either, except again, to say" WoW!! Jimmy Page played at the opening of the NY Stock Exchange!!!

Ihad seen both of those performances before, and I did not "save" either one.

I believe both you and Mithril are correct, I think he wore a black jacket / long sleeve shirt for the first couple of songs, then he took it off and had on the white T shirt.

I believe you and I have been to several shows together. FYI I graduated from Paradise Valley HS in 86' and for your posts it sounds like we are the same age, what HS did you attend Luvlz2?

Yeah, I remember him wearing a white shirt also too. I went to Cactus High School, class of 86'. Sorry about going off topic on this thread.

I particularly as a guitar player don't see that Page's Foo Fighters playing was anything but good. Definetly not "WOW", and the exchange,

Puff Daddy. Olympics, and JB Hall of Fame I fully agree are minor embarrassments. Actually I have a CD that only has Jimmy jamming

in various situations going back to the Zep days, and for the most part Jimmy has NEVER been all that adept at seamless jamming.

Beck and Clapton are very sharp at jumping into situations and immediately adapting. Certainly Page had this skill as a session pro,

but Page was not gifted naturally with laser ears. Speaking of "WOW" playing, I only hear Beck of the three doing this with any

regularity. At this point.

• 5 months later...

I was there also, do you remember what Page was wearing that night, wasn't he wearing a black long sleeve shirt? I have been looking for any pictures of that show that I can find.

I have a photo from two days prior, taken on March 10, 1985:

1985%2003%2010%20%20001_zpsfgppxwcu.jpg

...and this one taken on March 23, 1985...I think you are "remembering" the black vest:

1985%2003%2023%20%20001_zpsz2mwhjw5.jpg

Archived