Enough already! He doesn't want to do it, for any reason - not for himself, not for Jimmy or John Paul or Jason, or for money. And especially not for you!
The report was bullshit, and all this 'open' letter crap is bullshit too.
Leave him alone.
How would any of you like it if your friends said that you should get back together with your now divorced partner (for example), just so that they could 'see again how great you guys were together'....?

Non sequitur. First of all, although some have said that a band is closer than a marriage, it is not the same type of closeness and personal intimacy not to mention commitment. But to follow your "analogy," If I were divorced, yes, it would annoy me if people said "you should get back together." But if I were trashing my ex, saying that my marriage was so far in the past it should be forgotten or never mentioned by friends, that I don't care how my friends feel about my divorce....well, if I did that I would be an asshole.

Enough already! He doesn't want to do it, for any reason - not for himself, not for Jimmy or John Paul or Jason, or for money. And especially not for you!
The report was bullshit, and all this 'open' letter crap is bullshit too.
Leave him alone.
How would any of you like it if your friends said that you should get together with your now divorced partner (for example), just so that they could 'see how great you guys were together'....?

First I would like to thank Zoe for a great post! I almost did not even comment on this thread. For those who continue to bash Robert...excuse me but FUCK OFF!!! I am big enough to take any comments that any of you may have but I am more than over Robert being thought of as the villain. It is simply not acceptable IMHO.

Led Zeppelin ended when John Bonham left this world. Everything that we got after that was just bonus. (Page & Plant, Jonesy and Jimmy and Robert doing the songs in the manner they choose to do them). Then we also got the 02 Ahmet tribute and they went out on top. I am sick and tired of Robert getting the blame for holding true to what was announced many years ago and I will never forget that day!

For the record, Robert did reach out to Jimmy to do new music.

Only my opinion - but I respect Robert for not reforming..no Bonham , no Led Zeppelin.PERIOD!!

It is not my intention to hurt or anger anyone but enough is really enough!!

Non sequitur. First of all, although some have said that a band is closer than a marriage, it is not the same type of closeness and personal intimacy not to mention commitment. But to follow your "analogy," If I were divorced, yes, it would annoy me if people said "you should get back together." But if I were trashing my ex, saying that my marriage was so far in the past it should be forgotten or never mentioned by friends, that I don't care how my friends feel about my divorce....well, if I did that I would be an asshole.

You're missing the point.

He's not trashed anything - the $800 million report WAS MADE UP. It was a LIE.

He's shown nothing but respect to the Led Zeppelin legacy in everything he's said about the band and it's music.

He just doesn't want to do it again, and he has said that repeatedly.

In the meantime he's got on with his solo career and has played Zep tunes, mostly to please the fans, in a way that he feels he can. I think that's worthy of respect, whether you like his choice or not.

The O2 gig underlined the whole matter, and also put a firm full stop at the end. Watch the very end of Celebration Day and see him firmly put that microphone down - that was him saying 'I did it, I did it for Ahmet, I did it for John and now I'm not doing it again'.

Just before the O2 was announced I was on a canal holiday in the West Midlands, and was having a beer at the pub at the end of the day When Robert walked in with a few mates to have a drink. They talked about the O2 gig coming up (it hadn't been announced yet), and he told his friends what a nightmare the whole thing had become from the very start, with rafts of e-mails from lawyers, managers, promoters, hangers-on etc.

One of his friends asked him if he'd consider working with the rest of the band again, and he said (I'm paraphrasing, this was 7 years ago...) 'After this? Never. All I wanted was for us to get together one last time to play a concert to say goodbye to my friend Ahmet and to do it right. But once the machine starts rolling it takes on a life of its own and I won't do that or go there again'.

He has his reasons.

Led Zep is dead, and it died with Bonham.

Led Zep at the O2 was at best a tribute band. If it was my band, I wouldn't want to do that.

Oh, so after the O2 concert when Robert hinted of a reunion to hype his hillbilly album NO PROBLEM......

Or when he is pushing Strange Sensation 'ya know I am free in 14 ( for Zeppelin ) but come see me now.......

So now we here he rips up a contract and tells the band (AND THE WORLD) fuck off......

THAT IS SELFISH!!!!!!

SOURCES WIKIPEDIA and ME

from wiki:

After years of reunion rumours, Led Zeppelin performed a full two-hour set on 10 December 2007 at the Ahmet Ertegün Tribute Concert, with Jason again filling in on drums. Despite enormous public demand, Plant declined a $200 million offer to tour with Led Zeppelin after the 2007 show.[49] In interviews following the 2007 show, Plant left the door open to possible future performances with Led Zeppelin, saying that he enjoyed the reunion and felt that the show was strong musically.[50] Although Page and Jones have expressed the strong desire to tour as Led Zeppelin,[51] Plant has consistently opposed a full tour and has responded negatively to questions about another reunion. In a January 2008 interview, he stated that he does not want to "tour like a bunch of bored old men following the Rolling Stones around." In a statement on his web site in late 2008, Plant stated, "I will not be touring with Led Zeppelin or anyone else for the next two years. Anyone buying Led Zeppelin tickets will be buying bogus tickets."

In February 2013, Plant hinted that he was open to a Led Zeppelin reunion in 2014, stating that he's not the reason for Led Zeppelin's dormancy for the Capricorns [Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones] «are quite contained in their own worlds and leave it to [him]», adding that he's «not the bad guy» and that he's «got nothing to do in 2014».[52]

In a spring 2014 interview with the BBC about the then forthcoming reissue of Led Zeppelin's first three albums, guitarist Jimmy Page said he was sure fans would be keen on another reunion show, but Plant later replied that «the chances of it happening [were] zero». Jimmy Page then told The New York Times that he was "fed up" with Plant's refusal to play, stating: «I was told last year that Plant said he is doing nothing in 2014, and what do the other two guys think? Well, he knows what the other guys think. Everyone would love to play more concerts for the band. He's just playing games, and I'm fed up with it, to be honest with you. I don't sing, so I can't do much about it», adding: «I definitely want to play live. Because, you know, I've still got a twinkle in my eye. I can still play. So, yeah, I'll just get myself into musical shape, just concentrating on the guitar.»[53]

On 30 July 2014, an NME article revealed that Plant was «slightly disappointed and baffled» by Page in ongoing Led Zeppelin dispute during which Page declared he was "fed up" with Plant delaying Led Zeppelin reunion plans. Instead, Plant offered Led Zeppelin's guitarist to write acoustically with him as he is interested in working with Page again but only in an unplugged way.[54]

I think that you need to stay focused on the bottom line, and that has been a consistent message that Plant does not want to do a reunion. I agree that he talks out of both sides of his mouth, but that has always been his way. He hides behind a chuckle and a smile so that he can later dismiss his statements as a joke, but despite that, I do not think that he has ever shown true enthusiasm for a reunion. His position on the topic has never truly moved, and he has been consistent in that position, despite his antics. Robert likes to fan the flames once and a while, and usually in response to something that Jimmy said, and vice versa. Sometimes I wish those two would just shut up, and refuse to speak a word about the reunion topic when it comes up.

First I would like to thank Zoe for a great post! I almost did not even comment on this thread. For those who continue to bash Robert...excuse me but FUCK OFF!!! I am big enough to take any comments that any of you may have but I am more than over Robert being thought of as the villain. It is simply not acceptable IMHO.

Led Zeppelin ended when John Bonham left this world. Everything that we got after that was just bonus. (Page & Plant, Jonesy and Jimmy and Robert doing the songs in the manner they choose to do them). Then we also got the 02 Ahmet tribute and they went out on top. I am sick and tired of Robert getting the blame for holding true to what was announced many years ago and I will never forget that day!

Only my opinion - but I respect Robert for not reforming..no Bonham , no Led Zeppelin.PERIOD!!

Deborah, you're the best!

Page / Plant 1994 - 1998. They toured their butts off and released two albums. IMO that was the two of them going for it one last time, even though it wasn't Led Zeppelin. The O2 show felt like the magnificent end it should be.

Absolutely agree with you. Well-intended public appeals now are all well and good but they're also a complete waste of precious time .

I will say whatever I think!

So LZ ended when Bonham died; but, actually not, because in the O2 "they went out on top." Which is it--Zeppelin died with Bonham in 1980, or they went out on top in 2007? Make up your mind! Not just you but many people on this forum!

It's Robert's right to say no to a reunion or anything else. Also his "right," at least in a country with free speech, to say whatever he wants, no matter how insensitive. We agree on that point! The down side of living in a country with free speech is you have to listen to b.s. and worse. "I have nothing to do in 2014." Ha, ha!

Kevin,

Some of your facts are suspect.

BEFORE the O2 show Plant admitted there would be all sorts of requests for more shows. And he said "but not me, I'll be winding my way back to my southern gal Allison". Very clear, one show, no more.

As for his "I have nothing to do in 2014", that was definitely said tongue n cheek.

Let's say somehow, Plant is convinced to do a tour with JPJ, JP, and Jason as LZ. It wold be horrible. plant would be regretting it from the start, and it would show.

I am happy that they did the O2 show. It's been more than 30 years since the band broke up, it really is time to just let it go.

So LZ ended when Bonham died; but, actually not, because in the O2 "they went out on top." Which is it--Zeppelin died with Bonham in 1980, or they went out on top in 2007? Make up your mind! Not just you but many people on this forum!

It's Robert's right to say no to a reunion or anything else. Also his "right," at least in a country with free speech, to say whatever he wants, no matter how insensitive. We agree on that point! The down side of living in a country with free speech is you have to listen to b.s. and worse. "I have nothing to do in 2014." Ha, ha!

Comments like "I have nothing to do in 2014" should be taken with a pinch of salt. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that he has no plans to revive the whole thing.

Led Zeppelin did die when Bonham died...there's no doubt about that. Their O2 show was a tribute to Ahmet Ertegun and also, you could say, their final tribute to what they had once had and created all those many moons ago. Robert has made it perfectly clear that he just isn't interested in touring Zeppelin. He feels that it is in the past and that it should be left there, in fact it has to be left there due to the death of Bonzo. Let us look back with fondess and look forward with open senses, ready to experience something new.

We will always have the music, it cannot be taken away from us. That is what's most important and no matter what the band are doing these days, the music is what I am most grateful for. The only way we can appreciate the true magic that Led Zeppelin (that is Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and John Bonham) created is to go and stick a CD or record on, watch or listen to a live performance. That's the closest we're ever going to get...and we can all go and do that right now, with no begging and no hassle.

You are really showing yourself to be an obstinate fool here. This has absolutely nothing to do with free speech or any other right. It has to do with your inability to accept the truth of the matter,simple as that. Just let it go, the sooner you do the better off you'll be.

Hello Everyone,

In the wakes of the story of Robert "ripping up" the $800 contract offered by Richard Branson, the following is a letter written by myself and a few other "hopefuls" characterizing our still undying hope for a reunion tour. It asks Mr. Plant to reconsider his decision from another perspective. By using the power of social media (and armed with the knowledge that these forums are occasionally monitored by people directly related to the organization), we are hoping to circulate it, in the hopes that he or one of his people might see it and ponder the idea, for what it's worth. If you feel the same way, please feel free to share or post this, wherever you see fit.

I know this has been rehashed to death, and thoughts on it are greatly appreciated, but true love knows no defeat, right?

Thank you,

Millennial ZepHead

An Open Letter to Robert Plant:

By now all of us Led Zeppelin fans have read the various accounts by the Huffington Post, The Daily Globe and others about how you put the last, and final rumors of a reunion to rest by “ripping up” an $800 million dollar contract in front of your band mates and the world. Regardless of whether or not this story is true, suffice it to say that the finality of the news that a reunion after the 2007 show at the O2 arena will never be possible is a tough pill for Zeppelin fans to swallow¾especially for those of us that will gladly admit that we still live and die daily by the music you made, 34 years after the death of your good mate and band. And although I know that your decision is clear -- and your conviction is indeed noble, and quite understandable-- there are a few things that I, and a few other diehard “Zep Heads” would like you to know:

Although it’s clearly not about the potential money to be made (even though $800 million is a sum admittedly beyond that which me, or any other mere mortal could ever even fathom or comprehend), your concerns that a tour would “…be an absolute menagerie of vested interests and the very essence of everything that's shitty about big-time stadium rock,” or that reformation would be nothing but the result of boredom or having nothing to do other than “being a part of a jukebox,” I believe, are misguided. As I respectively have to disagree with you on this for several different reasons, which, incidentally, have absolutely nothing to do with money, but have everything to do with love, passion, human connection, and an amalgam of other reasons which made yours the greatest band in the world in the first place.

Led Zeppelin was about innovation. It was a band that took from those before it and created music that transcended generations, cultures, spiritual mediums and musical boundaries to become a textbook example of the pure magic created by incredible chemistry -- a phenomenon still belonging only to the experience of your fans, new and old, every time they hear a Led Zeppelin song. As Jimmy Page so eloquently put it last month, Led Zeppelin was “an affair of the heart.” Few bands have been privileged to know it before you and few have known it since. It was never really about money as much as it was about preserving and staying true to your sound. This is why your legacy has been so closely guarded, and why I understand (but do not condone) your decision not to tour again. However, keeping that legacy in mind, I implore you to see the opportunity from a different angle -- one perhaps not so focused on the scant, lucrativeness of the whole thing, but instead from the same place of innovation and inner desire to stay true to the music you have protected for so long.

Let me be clear: nobody is asking you to be a jukebox. There are some fans that are just as ambivalent about “Stairway to Heaven” as you are. However, the chance to bring Zeppelin back is the opportunity of a lifetime to recreate the magic in your own way, not to revisit or emulate the past. This is your chance to positively complete the legacy that was so unfairly snatched from the band at the expense and terrible tragedy of your friend -- a chance to have a happy ending predicated on a predetermined path. You don’t want to play music from the past? That’s fine. Feel free to innovate and create new experiences to your heart’s content. The fans will come. You’ve been doing it on your own for over twenty years now, and you’ve been doing it with The Sensational Space Shifters as late as last week. But please, finish what you started, only this time on your terms and executed however you see fit -- with the distinct wisdom and perspective forty years of reflection on the original experience can give. How many of us would rewrite the past Robert if given the chance? What other band or musician would give up the opportunity to change the trajectory of music (again)? Nobody is expecting you to disturb the legend, or exhume the corpses of the dead. All we are asking for is a chance to see the magic of the four of you on stage together, while you take advantage of the fact that you would have the entire world’s attention to play or do whatever it is you wanted to do as a new iteration of the band. This is especially relevant with Jason stepping in for his dad. We don’t want to see you simply for the Song to Remain the Same, we want to see you because, for most of us, it would be the holy grail of musical experiences to walk amongst The Hammer of the Gods, regardless of what you play, or how you play it again.

So please Mr. Plant, consider this modest, heartfelt plea to reconsider your choice. Do it for those of us who weren’t lucky enough to be born yet at a time when Led Zeppelin was going strong. Do it for every singer or guitar player you have inspired to pick up an instrument, or fall in love with music because of the legacy of your great band. The history books are calling you, and so are the next two generations of fans who have been waiting for this their entire lives. But most importantly Robert, do it for the music, new and old. And do it for your friend, who surely would prefer you to honor his legacy by definitively closing the chapter of Zeppelin with empowered positivity, and love for all the things and experiences it has brought to your life and others’ for so long. You honor music by playing it. Led Zeppelin’s music should be embraced so that it may be sufficiently honored and cherished for many generations to come, not apotheosized and avoided as if some mystical, endangered species incapable of roaming the Earth again. So please Robert, I implore you, take the time to view this from an alternate perspective, as we all know that this opportunity will probably never come again.

Sincerely,

Dayan Hochman

Millennial Positivist and Tri-decadal Led Zeppelin fan

1st, let me be the first one to point out that the picture used in your avator looks fucking amazing, any woman who looks that good, should be told that she is a temple.

2nd, good for you on writing a letter, what harm does it do? Are artists so sensitive that they must be isolated from the world around them? Of course not, so props for asking Mr Plant a question or a series of questions even if its a question that might drive him batty.

3rd, I don't buy the theory that Robert turned down $200 Million, no one, and I mean no one is going to walk away from $200 million including Mr Plant; I personally know Canada's richest person, and he would not walk away from $200 million, so I doubt Mr Plant would or anyone else who visits this forum.

I really think this news story is much ado about nothing.

This topic is so very tiring.

To everyone who was born too late to have seen them perform live:

Get over it.

Be happy with all the great music they have given you and appreciate the wonderful work Jimmy has done with the remastering.

This is getting ridiculous.

If Robert doesn't want to tour, then let him be.

If people force him to tour with Led Zeppelin, his heart won't be in it and he'll look as bored as he was singing 'Stairway' at Knebworth in 1979.

Just let him be.

Funny, I was going to reference the same song and same venue when I made my statement! So obvious he was not into it, at one point he almost rolls his eyes.

This Kevin character needs to chill out.

Led Zeppelin aren't going to reform, get over it and get on with your life.

I have been getting on with my life quite well, thank you. Today was the first time I posted here in a long time.

I got to see the Allman Brothers Band ( Or not really the Allman Brothers because Dwane died in 1969, oh and Dicky Betts quit/got kicked out about 20 years ago ) 4 times this year because ....... Wait for it .......

THEY ANOUNCED THAT THEY WOULD STOP PLAYING. AFTER OCTOBER.

I made a big effort to see them, I enjoyed the shows and will let them do whatever projects they want.

If something new they do catches my ear I will buy it or go to see it.

They gave me that opportunity......

NOW FLASH BACK TO 2007......

Some quotes:

It would be a shame if we practiced this much only to play one show......

That quote alone made me cancel my flight and stop looking for tickets.

FOLLOWED BY :

RP at MSG watching the Knicks ....... ' ya never know what's around the corner''

Well I tell you what was around the corner..... RP hinting before every new tour of some LED ZEPPELIN thing.

GUESS WHAT....... MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of free publicity and TICKET SALES...

Now that I think of it I need to check Polstar to see how his shows have been doing......

This could just be another round of Percy publicity group selling tickets.

ANYWAY....... All you fanboys and girls cann keep dreaming of getting on his jock and

defend his actions to the bitter end. I am sure you all will be getting a special Christmas

card from him this year.

As far as I can tell only ROBERT stopped the show. And for that I cannot forgive or forget.

You are really showing yourself to be an obstinate fool here. This has absolutely nothing to do with free speech or any other right. It has to do with your inability to accept the truth of the matter,simple as that. Just let it go, the sooner you do the better off you'll be.

You know I respect you brother, and we are the truest defenders of ITTOD that these boards will ever know, but we have to be open to these discussions. If everyone saw everything the same way, this place would be less active than it already is. There is nothing worse than an unconditional fanboy (not you) who defends on loyalty, and not logic. I think many of the posts that I read here were written by sheep, and I disagree whole heartedly with them, but I value their contribution to the broader discussion. That's why you and I are allowed to love ITTOD, and express our thoughts, while all the other super fans hate it, but let us have our way. Go figure. ?

I have been getting on with my life quite well, thank you. Today was the first time I posted here in a long time.

I got to see the Allman Brothers Band ( Or not really the Allman Brothers because Dwane died in 1969, oh and Dicky Betts quit/got kicked out about 20 years ago ) 4 times this year because ....... Wait for it .......

I made a big effort to see them, I enjoyed the shows and will let them do whatever projects they want.

Some quotes:

FOLLOWED BY :

RP at MSG watching the Knicks ....... ' ya never know what's around the corner''

Well I tell you what was around the corner..... RP hinting before every new tour of some LED ZEPPELIN thing.

Now that I think of it I need to check Polstar to see how his shows have been doing......

ANYWAY....... All you fanboys and girls cann keep dreaming of getting on his jock and

defend his actions to the bitter end. I am sure you all will be getting a special Christmas

card from him this year.

As far as I can tell only ROBERT stopped the show. And for that I cannot forgive or forget.

I respect your love and passion for this band. That cannot be questioned.

Some quotes:

FOLLOWED BY :

card from him this year.

And these "reunion" tours, in my opinion, have a lot to do with fueling all of this wailing and knashing of teeth.

The Allman Brothers

AC/DC

Black Sabbath

The Eagles (how many final tours now?)

CSN - ditto for them

It would be more than painful to see Led Zeppelin fall into this trap.

Led Zeppelin was in a class unto themselves

And these "reunion" tours, in my opinion, have a lot to do with fueling all of this wailing and knashing of teeth.

The Allman Brothers

AC/DC

Black Sabbath

The Eagles (how many final tours now?)

CSN - ditto for them

It would be more than painful to see Led Zeppelin fall into this trap.

Led Zeppelin was in a class unto themselves

It could be much worse. At least they'll never be The Who, with all their final tours.

Archived