I agree. Metallica hired a therapist to help them work stuff out. I wouldn't be surprised if some other bands have done the same. Page and Plant should do the same with JPJ and Jason also. They would be better for it.

It's not really about Led Zeppelin; it's about men who have been colleagues and friends who are having problems with each other and due to being public figures, are dragging us into it. I find it very depressing to hear about Robert's sniping at Jimmy and also to continually read Robert's bullshit remarks in the media over the last several years. Yes, he has contradicted himself. He has not been consistent in his remarks despite what some people here say. I have no idea what his underlying motivation for this b.s. is...hard to say from a distance. No, I don't do "amateur psychology" although I do professional psychology, but as none of them are my patients all I can say is something is weirdly wrong here.

Sorry, but that is completely amateur psychology. You have no idea who these people are other than a random snippet in the media. I really doubt they are having problems with each other. They dont exactly hang out any more and who wants to be an old man trying to re-live glory days?

Any truth in the rumour that they all will meet at the crossroads just east of Clarksdale on the eve of the winter solstice and discuss reunion options then?

I'd heard Satan himself was impressed with the mammon already offered but suggested they hold out for $1 billion each and a rider that included a stairlift being fitted to the Starship alongside one of those walk in bath shower things.

Sounds about as logical as much of the other assertions elsewhere in this thread.

For any tabloid journalists interested in my source for this please DM me - pretty sure you can get a double page spread out of this nugget given how you manage to create articles out of downright lies and figments of your imagination.

"In a year when oldsters like Springsteen and U2 have embarrassed themselves with shoddy albums (so much so that Rolling Stone apparently felt compelled to rescue them),"

I mentioned music critics writing this kind of thing before, which is stupid, which I will touch in a minute. First let me say, I think Robert's latest solo album is very good indeed, excellent in fact and I rather enjoy it. His live gigs though, from what I have seen in vids are sorely lacking some excitement in my humble opinion.

Now to my point for including the quote above from the article:

Has ANYONE EVER noticed that when discussing a solo artist such as or Bob Dylan, or John Mellancamp, or Tom Petty, or Ian Hunter, or Johnny Cash, or whoever the fuck it is, that they NEVER, NEVER talk about the "solo artist" being an embracement to themselves? Yet every FUCKING time anyone talks about Zeppelin perhaps recording new material together, or whichever band it is, the critics dismiss it as being a bad idea. The idea that a band MUST NOT be allowed to record a new album because it will not be good enough but the solo artist is able to to climb Mount Olympus makes me gag. This is the first time by the way I seen a negative written about Springsteen, maybe he is still tied in to the E Street Band perhaps?

First let me say, I think Robert's latest solo album is very good indeed, excellent in fact and I rather enjoy it. His live gigs though, from what I have seen in vids are sorely lacking some excitement in my humble opinion.

Having seen him in Llandudno for the last show of the British tour I couldn't disagree more - it was a blinding gig, intimate, varied, full of energy and thoroughly enjoyable for both the audience and, very obviously, Robert.

The album, in contrast, is lacklustre and tired sounding to me.

Having seen him in Llandudno for the last show of the British tour I couldn't disagree more - it was a blinding gig, intimate, varied, full of energy and thoroughly enjoyable for both the audience and, very obviously, Robert.

The album, in contrast, is lacklustre and tired sounding to me.

Is his current band the same band who worked with him on the album? I don't have a copy of the album so I can't check for myself?

Is his current band the same band who worked with him on the album? I don't have a copy of the album so I can't check for myself?

Yeah, it's all the same members.. there's nothing to beat getting songs to gel properly than playing them a lot on tour, and I think that's what has happened.

Jst saw a great interview with Jackson Browne today and something he said nails it regarding studio vs. live. The song you record is not necessarily the song you ultimately want, that is the song will evolve, you play changes differently or change a key and the song you wrote now looks half finished compared to how it has developed live. I agree with Woz70 in that Plants live shows the new music is much better than what he put down on the album. In fact many album versions of songs kinda suck compared to what they became live. I much prefer the live versions of TSRTS, Rain Song, and especially No Quarter. TBH the studio version of NQ sounds shitty and flat, the effect on Plant's voice is annoying, and the neck pickup only sounding solo Jimmy does is boring. But live, WOW!!!

I love live Robert in his current incarnation, no complaints fro me. Keep exploring new ground Percy and DON'T LOOK BACK!

• 2 months later...

What frustrates me is Robert is happy playing Zep music, without the surviving members. I have never been a fan of his solo stuff so seeing him isn't an option. I won't play these songs with you JP or you JPJ but with these others I will. That always frustrated me.

I've always felt over the years Jimmy should have just started another blues based band and played the blues. I do appreciate the way he took care of the brand overtime.

I would have loved to have seen Jimmy Page and Friends...JP, JPJ, JB and a female blues singer. I don't know which female voice JP could certainly find one and go and perform a blues based show with some Zep tunes mixed in. That would hav emade me happy.

Was that too much to wish for?

Born too late I guess....

The whole thing of a reformationn being a 100% disaster is so overblown it is ridiculous. First of all nothing would go forward past

Rehearsals if Plant thought Page was not up to the task. Then the really tricky question ; how to deal with Plant's lowered range,

And to try to avoid the 07' thing with songs played really well but sounding odd because of the heavy de tuning. On a side note,

too many fans on this site are somehow subliminally implying that if Page can't lose 40 pounds and reappear in the dragon suit

And Plant sing the studio songs from Zep, than forget the whole thing. If there was a reformation, Plant would have to swallow

His pride and give a press conference saying that he simply can't sing certain songs anymore, and go on from there. Again, I

Guarantee everyone is looking at this from the wrong angle; forget recreating Zeppelin. They are OLD men; and so were many

Blues men who continued on till they dropped dead. Everyone is looking thru the rock star angle; to be honest, Page and Plant

IMO look not even close to their former appearances. One could cruelly argue well, they look nothing like they used to, it would

Be silly to even step on stage looking like that.

One could cruelly argue well, they look nothing like they used to, it would

Be silly to even step on stage looking like that.

Another could argue that Robert Plant continues to appear on stage's the world over and still has women flinging frilly things onto the stage.Jonesy appears thesedays to a lesser degree than he did a few years back with TCV but both seem unconcerned with their looks.

It's the same with Jimmy who's doing the interview circuit now and has a new lady friend.They're all ageing gracefully or disgracefully depending on their needs and wants.

You are absolutely right, and that is part of of my whole point. Even at the 07' show, except for Jone's, Page and Plant could arguably

be said to look little like rock stars. It seems like so many of the posts here are so consumed with the age thing. As stated, Plant would

NEVER allow anything to proceed if Page was not tip-top, which he was at 07'. Plant does have a tremendous point with the expectations.

His voice range, far greater than anything else, is the trouble.

What frustrates me is Robert is happy playing Zep music, without the surviving members. I have never been a fan of his solo stuff so seeing him isn't an option. I won't play these songs with you JP or you JPJ but with these others I will. That always frustrated me.

This is a frequently-mentioned complaint. However, these are (lyrically) Robert's songs. He also presents them in a way where they aren't replicas of how Zep played them.

I don't believe Robert has any blanket animosity towards Led Zeppelin. Quite contrary, I think he remains very proud of Led Zeppelin and its legacy. In fact, he has been very vocal about wanting to keep that time capsule intact, rather than officially re-booting it with new material and tours, as 70-year olds. He clearly enjoys the artistic freedom of being in complete control, and loathes the idea of his artistic career being a factional member of a nostalgia act.

Well there you go. I saw Page with the Crowes and partially because of Chris Robinson's singing and the main idea to recreate the

Zep studio songs, which Zep itself NEVER tried to do anyway, it would be quite a stretch to call this a nostalgia exercise. Also the first

Unleaded tour was hardly nostalgic.....at least half the songs utilized western/eastern orchestras, and Plant AND Page could NOT

play their standard parts, they had to be modified to accommodate the orchestras.

You are absolutely right, and that is part of of my whole point. Even at the 07' show, except for Jone's, Page and Plant could arguably

be said to look little like rock stars. It seems like so many of the posts here are so consumed with the age thing. As stated, Plant would

NEVER allow anything to proceed if Page was not tip-top, which he was at 07'. Plant does have a tremendous point with the expectations.

His voice range, far greater than anything else, is the trouble.

I disagree with your last sentence. The real problem would be Page. I don't think he has the stamina or the discipline to pull off a world tour. Plant's voice is immediately recognizable, and actually, it's a pleasure not to have him hitting the high screechy notes of the late 60s.

My God, why is it so hard to give artists the space to grow into who they want to be creatively and not shoehorn them into who you want, a genie-please-me nostalgia act?

This is a frequently-mentioned complaint. However, these are (lyrically) Robert's songs. He also presents them in a way where they aren't replicas of how Zep played them.

I don't believe Robert has any blanket animosity towards Led Zeppelin. Quite contrary, I think he remains very proud of Led Zeppelin and its legacy. In fact, he has been very vocal about wanting to keep that time capsule intact, rather than officially re-booting it with new material and tours, as 70-year olds. He clearly enjoys the artistic freedom of being in complete control, and loathes the idea of his artistic career being a factional member of a nostalgia act.

And here it is. Eleven pages in, finally the post that best captures the heart of the matter, poignantly and succinctly. Very well said.

Nice post Neal and so what if he does Zeppelin songs! Page memorialized his own playing of zep with the Black Crowes on a double cd as I recall Its not a big deal

JP seems to have always wanted to get LZ together, but Plant didn't. JP had to satisfy his LZ fix in another manner.

Yeah, but if the Black Crowes approached Page to redo what they did 15 years ago, I can't see Page jumping at the chance. And that

is mainly because Page doesn't naturally do the studio recreation thing. It is true that he wants his Zep fix, for sure.

I think even Jimmy has now accepted that he is banging his head against the wall trying to get Percy to do something he obviously doesn't want to do. Let's face it, both of them hardly have to worry about the next electric bill do they?

Zeppelin's peak was between 1970-75, after that they were a shadow of their former selves....I was lucky enough to be at at Earls Court in '75, and both Knebworth's and that's how I prefer to remember them.

Let it be....

I really do understand all the "let it be" attitude. But a big problem that I see with this is the almost automatic pushing out of older

people. I don't think there would be a reunion, but casting out older musicians because of an arbitrary age limit is not something

I feel comfortable. SOME people at 70 are truly in decline and you shouldn't expect much of them. But I have seen many blues

And jazz players around 70 or older play with little loss of ability. Musical skill is like any other skill but you can't compare it

To purely physical skills which almost anyone may have diminish as you get older. Arthritis, yes, but Page doesn't seem to

Have this and he is not putting on a roof, he is playing a guitar. Still don't think anything will happen, so, so what ???

Archived