Super Deluxe vinyl defect(s)?

riffsofpage

I'm not a vinyl/analog expert, however I think I've noticed a defect with the 2 out of four record received from the super deluxe boxes.

With a bright light source above the turntable, as it is spinning, I look at the record surface at a reflection of a detailed object on the wall maybe 6' away and have noticed a periodic flutter or wobble in the image- especially towards the outer edge of the record. Is this normal?

The needle also moves out then in at this (radial)point, with a couple of skips in the first track only.

By any chance, is this some sort of seam in the creation of the record and normal, or is this a common/uncommon defect?

I'm not a vinyl/analog expert, however I think I've noticed a defect with the 2 out of four record received from the super deluxe boxes.

With a bright light source above the turntable, as it is spinning, I look at the record surface at a reflection of a detailed object on the wall maybe 6' away and have noticed a periodic flutter or wobble in the image- especially towards the outer edge of the record. Is this normal?

The needle also moves out then in at this (radial)point, with a couple of skips in the first track only.

By any chance, is this some sort of seam in the creation of the record and normal, or is this a common/uncommon defect?

Well, it's not uncommon, but if your tracking weight and anti-skate are properly set on a levelled turntable, then you could consider it a defect. People who are new to vinyl flip out about things that are pretty normal to vinyl pressings, but vinyl is actually pretty forgiving, and not as fragile as some people think.

Already verified that tracking and skate were set per manufacturer's manual and still have the problem. Thanks - I will probably return it :-)

I meant to add another question to the first post but accidentally hit enter.....

What cd or dvd disc format that can be played universally are people using to record/download the high definition tracks? I'm assuming the hard drive is the initial source.

Already verified that tracking and skate were set per manufacturer's manual and still have the problem. Thanks - I will probably return it :-)

I meant to add another question to the first post but accidentally hit enter.....

What cd or dvd disc format that can be played universally are people using to record/download the high definition tracks? I'm assuming the hard drive is the initial source.

Put a level on your turntable and level it side to side, and front to back. That is a very important step that many forget. If it skips, it's warped enough to consider it a problem. If you bought at Amazon, their return policy is great. Sorry, can't help with the rest. I live in an analogue world; right where I belong.

I've noticed the rim on some of the vinyl is a bit steep and if I set the needle too close to it, it'll run down and skip into the song. Some of the discs also have a slight bit of a warp to them, but not so bad that it effects playing.

I haven't bought an 8-track in a year or two, actually. My player died and I haven't picked up a new one yet. I'm now collecting Zep fanzines...those are accumulating quite quickly :P

I haven't bought an 8-track in a year or two, actually. My player died and I haven't picked up a new one yet. I'm now collecting Zep fanzines...those are accumulating quite quickly :P

Ahh, nice. I pick up the odd fanzine, but I have slowed down a lot in that area. I bought all of the Proximity fanzines when I was a young fellar. Still have them, and like to check them out now and again. They are so basic, yet so full of passion.

It is probably best described as a warp in the outer rim. Whether or not that contributes to skips in BD and MMH, I'm not sure?

Anyways, replacement from Amazon arrived today and the companion LP has no issues :-)

Can't best that customer service!!

It is probably best described as a warp in the outer rim. Whether or not that contributes to skips in BD and MMH, I'm not sure?

Anyways, replacement from Amazon arrived today and the companion LP has no issues :-)

Can't best that customer service!!

I agree. Amazon has a great return policy. Glad it worked out.

My LZIV box is being replaced by Amazon due to a defect in the vinyl at the end of side one that causes a nasty, scratchy noise as Robert sings the last line of Stairway.

I've read that others have experienced the same problem along with some left channel distortion in The Ocean. The problems appear to affect the Pallas pressed discs of IV and HOTH for the US market primarily.

The only problem I had with the albums is some skipping on Zoso which could be probably fixed by cleaning the lp. I have had more issues with the rest of the package. The inner lining of the books have either have cuts or folds when glued to the board. I even had a HOTH cover corner of the book (from the standard two cd issue) complete cut. These would be treated as factory seconds and never sent out.

But it looks like they are in need of an editor. See if you can spot the errors.

HOTHLinerNote.jpg

My defective LZIV disc was replaced with another Pallas disc through Amazon US and the replacement plays fine. The white smudge crossing the last several grooves caused some ugly noise toward the end of Stairway.

DSC03415.JPG

Even more inexplicable to me, Amazon sent the replacement SDBS in a shipping box without the inner cardboard protective packaging. You can see the result of that decision below. Needless to say, I'll be keeping the box itself from my first order and swapping the vinyl.

DSC03411.JPG

DSC03413.JPG

My SD-IV had a lot of scratches side 2 of the companion vinyl.

I've tried cleaning the comp vinyl for IV a few times with better results, but it seems quite dirty for a new lp.

SD-Houses seems fine but they (SSD) sent that out only this week. The colors on the Houses jacket are a little more orange, less yellow, than I recall.

"But it looks like they are in need of an editor. See if you can spot the errors."

D'Yer Maker is missing, for one.

All signs point towards a rush job.

Companion vinyl for IV is weak. And the books don't have enough stories in them.

Just ads, pics from back in the day. The book that came with the Beatles stereo box is more substantial.

Reg III sounds the best of the bunch to me.

• 2 months later...

Now I find that "When the Levee Breaks" on the new vinyl has some static noise here and there. First HOTH, now this. This is bumming me out, the vinyls were going to be my go-to source for the new remasters, I even bought a new turntable for this. Anybody else hearing this flaw? (regular LP, not companion)

My re-mastered LP of LZ IV, on the outer edge of the LP, it had a cut, like you could get on a hangnail, but this was vinyl. In all my years of buying LPs (60's 70's 80's) I do not --ever-- remember a rough outer edge like that on any LP I ever owned. Poor QC on the cutting of the LP.

Gave up on superdeluxe boxes after the 1st three , issues mostly around

dislodged discs,damaged outer boxes, particularly edge corners.

General lack of protective packaging.Amazon finally refunded and cancelled the order

after the third set fell out of the box onto the floor as the delivery was in progress!

Hello, my name is francisco javier, recently bought the deluxe editions of the albums I, II, III, IV and house of the holly, anywhere www.discorder.com.
In all these, the extra vinyl is defective, and can not be held responsible,
Can you tell me where to make a claim ?. Thank You

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for the minor hijack, I am a new member and cannot start a topic :-)

I have just bought the remastered Physical Graffiti, the original album on vinyl and am really pleased with it.

It does have the label from side two of the companion disc in place of the side 4 label.

I was wondering if this was a common fault or a rare one off?

My labels are all fine, all vinyl has been great, my only mild flaw is the vocals on In The Light distort for a spell near the end of the song when RP repeats Light, light, Light, In the Light and goes up high it distorts a bit, could be my TT but its pretty dialed in on everything else, could be the vinyl but the CD has no distortion during that stretch so not the mastering, otherwise the vinyl outshines the CDs on all accounts. Moby Dick at loud volumes on vinyl is mind blowing.

There is debris on the vinyl out of the package but all new vinyl seems that way, really does need a good cleaning even before 1st playback which sounds counter-intuitive but there is always a little debris from the manufacturing process even if you see nothing with the naked eye should at least wipe it with a record brush if you cannot give it a proper wet cleaning, there is always a little crud in the grooves.

Archived