Jimmy Page & Chris Cornell To Collaborate In 2015

brettwb1

Excuse me, Jimmy Page a Lost puppy! He was one of the most sought after session guitarists in the world!. That distinction does not come easily nor if one is lost without a great rhythm section.

The reason Gilmore gets a lot of credit is due to his sound. Roger Waters is a great composer, musician, lyricist, but its the sound of Dave Gilmour's guitar we hear when we listen to Pink Floyd. Its his sound that makes us feel the emotion of the songs and Roger never got that.

The bassists you mentioned above can not only write and play but they can sing far better than Jimmy Page or even Dave Gilmore, plus it doesn't hurt to be good looking as in Sting and Mccartney's case but they are also so much more than just a good looking musicians they are truly talented people.

The Guitar playing on Coverdale page is Awesome even with Coverdale and a generic rhythm section the album still rocks!

Lost puppy, I think not. :D

Most sought after session guitarists in the world? Don't you mean most sought after session guitarist in London.

I have to agree with the "Lost Puppy" comment because It does not matter who he plays with Jimmy Page as Jimmy Page is not a much of a draw. He wouldn't be playing anything bigger than medium sized theatres. A week at somewhere like Ronnie Scotts maybe. JP is only a top draw playing with Led Zeppelin and that is never going to happen. No promoter would risk booking arenas for a solo Page tour , one or two half arenas maybe, max 5000 audience but that would about be pushing it. Besides it won't happen anyway.

Most sought after session guitarists in the world? Don't you mean most sought after session guitarist in London.

I have to agree with the "Lost Puppy" comment because It does not matter who he plays with Jimmy Page as Jimmy Page is not a much of a draw. He wouldn't be playing anything bigger than medium sized theatres. A week at somewhere like Ronnie Scotts maybe. JP is only a top draw playing with Led Zeppelin and that is never going to happen. No promoter would risk booking arenas for a solo Page tour , one or two half arenas maybe, max 5000 audience but that would about be pushing it. Besides it won't happen anyway.

:zzz:

I don't see anything wrong with playing to "only" 5000 people... or medium sized Theaters.

You don't think JIMMY PAGE would pull respectable numbers?? Come on.. In this day and age anything over 1500 seats and you're doing pretty damn good..

I just saw Eric Johnson and Mike Stern play in front of 250-300 people the other night. It was incredible.. They had one of the best drummers I've ever seen..

Great sound, the audience was listening.. meet and greet after the show.. To me, much more enjoyable than sitting in the rafters of some crappy sounding Hockey arena..

Maybe I'm getting old..

I've always thought Cornell is the obvious choice to be Jimmy's singer. The guy has such a phenomenal voice and is obviously hugely influenced by Robert, plus he's a killer songwriter. He'd be fine singing the Zeppelin stuff live as well and really I think he's the only guy out there (other than Robert obviously) who could do it justice. Not getting my hopes up, I imagine it was just a joke.

As for Jimmy being a big draw or not, I think he certainly would be. The guy has legend status and the last time the guy did a proper tour was with The Black Crowes the best part of a decade and a half ago. Add a relatively big name singer into the mix like Cornell and I could see him selling out somewhere like The O2 no problem. I guess the closest comparison would be Slash, whose solo career is going from strength to strength and I think Jimmy would be a bigger draw than Slash given as he hasn't done a full show since the reunion show in 2007. Personally though, I'd love to see him somewhere like the Hammersmith Apollo. I'm hoping Jimmy does one last victory lap before calling it quits. I mean you never know, he may end up like Leonard Cohen - starting to tour again in his 70s and loving it so much he keeps doing it!

Not to start a fight - but Slash's band is still an opening act last time I checked. Jimmy is loved, no doubt about it - but an 18,000 seat arena with Cornell is out of the question. SAJ, what do you think?

Edit to say, I would love to see this collaboration happen - and see it at a Hard Rock Live setting, like Jane's Addiction, Velvet Revolver, Them Crooked Vultures have played over the past 5-10 years. :peace:

Not to start a fight - but Slash's band is still an opening act last time I checked. Jimmy is loved, no doubt about it - but an 18,000 seat arena with Cornell is out of the question. SAJ, what do you think?

Edit to say, I would love to see this collaboration happen - and see it at a Hard Rock Live setting, like Jane's Addiction, Velvet Revolver, Them Crooked Vultures have played over the past 5-10 years. :peace:

Slash is playing Wembley Arena in December and seems to be going from strength to strength as a solo act. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if he's playing bigger places than Velvet Revolver did before long!

Re Jimmy at somewhere at The O2, maybe I was overly optimistic but I think with enough hype it could sell well. I think he's probably best suited to somewhere like the Hammersmith Apollo or Brixon Academy though, possibly the Royal Albert Hall.

Slash is playing Wembley Arena in December and seems to be going from strength to strength as a solo act. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if he's playing bigger places than Velvet Revolver did before long!

Based on what you said, I stand corrected. Over here the only time I've seen him advertised in arenas is when he's opening for Ozzy, Aerosmith, or someone of that stature.

Based on what you said, I stand corrected. Over here the only time I've seen him advertised in arenas is when he's opening for Ozzy, Aerosmith, or someone of that stature.

No worries, to be fair this is his first time in the UK headlining arenas and I have no idea how they've sold. Plus, it has taken him a few years to get to that level. I think Jimmy could have a comparable solo career and personally I think it would be a bigger deal, especially if he were to do shows when the reissues were still happening as he'd have a strong media presence and you have the novelty of it being his first tour in years. I imagine if he were to do theatre sized shows they'd sell out instantly, maybe arenas would take longer to sell out. Although, whilst it's my dream to see and hear Jimmy play guitar live part of me doesn't think he'll follow through with his promise of a tour. I'd love to be proved wrong and maybe he does want to do a victory lap world tour or something but given the past I'm still a cynic!

IMHO, 18,000 seat arenas would be out of the question outside of perhaps a one off in two or three major markets. However, with the right marketing and publicity it should be able to draw 5,000-10,000 in most markets. It would be interesting to see the management approach to this as Jimmy's post-Led Zeppelin track record has certainly has been sketchy. If I were a betting man, I'd say we'll be lucky to see him join Cornell for a jam somewhere in 2015. Anything beyond that is highly unlikely.

Slash is a headliner playing arena-sized venues as well as some smaller dates and festivals.

James Patrick Page should do one final worldwide retirement tour for the benefit of the planet. Donate all the proceeds of the tour to cure hunger, poverty, bad haircuts, whatever. At the end of the tour, JP gets the Nobel Peace Prize nomination. Jason, Jonesy on drums and bass full time while each leg of the tour could feature one or more singers/guitarists from his catalog and/or a few new ones. Play all the big hits from the past, present and future, as Jimmy likes to say.

Soundgarden, Spoonman to me sounded very Zepplish to me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0_zzCLLRvE

Feel the rhythm with your hands

Steal the rhythm while you can, spoonman

Speak the rhythm on your own

Speak the rhythm all alone, spoonman

I don't hear it...and those vocals ugh.....I really hope JP does not chose to work with that guy,

The guitarist from Soundgarden doesn't like Jimmy. I remember him being asked about if Jimmy influenced him and he wasn't too kind. Any way, here's Chris doing Thank You on his solo tour

That would be at distinct odds with their very recent public conversation and "agreement" to work together. It would be interesting to read if you have a source for your claim. I've previously read an interview with the drummer disparaging LZ back in the 90s.

The guitarist from Soundgarden doesn't like Jimmy. I remember him being asked about if Jimmy influenced him and he wasn't too kind. Any way, here's Chris doing Thank You on his solo tour

There's better covers of "Thank You" than that one, Tori Amos for one.

...I too remember that era when Soundgarden was in amidst of their own journey, expression of individuality...it all appears to be overconfident statement now, their historic place already carved as SAJ, our forum member says.. architects of Grunge era...it was not wise for them to criticise Led Zeppelin...it was and is Great Gift from God, very rare skillful mastery, and vision...all that was not visible to them beyond the physical aspects of the "party atmosphere of the 70's"...even I knew back then, that it was all entertainment business, that Jimmy Page was Master Musician, just that new generation has come along...

I admire Jimmy he is truly in incomparable class...his vision is matchless..

Jimmy said he was going to do an album with guest musicians, so if that is still correct I don't see him making maybe more than one song with Cornell, not a full collaboration.

An album of minor league shit? Why would he want to do that. Jimmy needs a hit song...rock and roll of course and he aint gonna write it. So what does Jimmy bring to the table? Certainly not virtuoso lead guitar technique at age 70. He won't draw big crowds unless the song(s) are of very high quality. And if he had that, LZ would be reforming right now.

Archived