Bands you think are better than Zeppelin

Kroeger_Chad

Van Halen=Tacky, Cheesy hair metal

Not all of it...mainly the post-DLR Van Hagar era. And they were a total force of nature in concert at their peak, which ended around 1982.

And yeah U2 is better than Led Zeppelin even though U2's singer aint that good. Zeppelin never did any album as good as 'The Joshua Tree'.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Are you a comedian? You're hilarious!

But yeah, this guy is hilarious. Reminds me of the websites and bloggers that will write any gibberish, no matter how outlandish or inane, just to generate page views and chase "controversy".

Well, personally, I think The Who is a lot better than Led Zeppelin. Better singles, better albums, better concerts. I think if any Led Zeppelin fan wants to understand the appeal of The Who, the rock doc The Kids Are Alright is a great place to start.

The Who was a very good band, bu they are far from being the best band ever. They are not as good as Led Zep, They did not know how to write a ballad/ melodic song, for instance

Behind blue eyes could have been one, but it becomes hard rock in the middle of the song. I can't even think of ONE ballad by the Who, while Zep had so many.

Listen to Quadrophenia or Tommy , theres plenty of ballads on those discs.

I like the The Who , but as far as them being better than Zep cough cough boolshitt!

Axl Rose gives Plant a run for his money though LOL.

"Welcome to the Whopper

we got shakes -n- fries"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20ccfjD4ZyQ

I have got both albums, Tommy and Quadrophenia, and I know them well, maybe 1921, See me feel me and Cut my hair could be called "ballads", but these are album songs, you can't really separate them from the album, it is hard to listen to them outside the albums on which they appear. I could listen to Thank you or the Rain song very easily, because they have a strong identity and they are not dependent on Led Zeppelin II or Houses of The Holy.

And yeah U2 is better than Led Zeppelin even though U2's singer aint that good. Zeppelin never did any album as good as 'The Joshua Tree'.

Sorry man, I don't listen to the Joshua Tree, I prefer "rings of smoke through the trees". And even if your album was called the Joshua Forest, it could not compete with that..

I'd like to see U2 do a song that matches 'Achilles Last Stand'

You know what rdg1, you amuse me. I'd like to see what funny other posts you're gonna do in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

Metallica's songwriting is far more sophisticated than Led Zeppelin. 'The Unforgiven', 'Fade to Black', etc blow away anything Zeppelin has to offer. And Sabbath 'Paranoid' better rocker than anything Zeppelin has.

Face it...Zeppelin is a dimming star. All Jimmy the Con has going is another 5000 or so re-masters for his band of suckers.

Metallica's songwriting is far more sophisticated than Led Zeppelin. 'The Unforgiven', 'Fade to Black', etc blow away anything Zeppelin has to offer. And Sabbath 'Paranoid' better rocker than anything Zeppelin has.

Face it...Zeppelin is a dimming star. All Jimmy the Con has going is another 5000 or so re-masters for his band of suckers.

Stairway to Heaven, Kashmir, Whole Lotta Love, Rock and Roll, Black Dog, Dazed and Confused, Since I've been Loving you, Immigrant Song, Ten Years Gone, In the Light.

Face it...

I'd like to see U2 do a song that matches 'Achilles Last Stand'

You know what rdg1, you amuse me. I'd like to see what funny other posts you're gonna do in the future.

Check out his latest material!

:hysterical:

"Welcome to the Whopper

we got shakes -n- fries"

Any singer can have a bad night or a series of bad nights, but Axl Rose is a singer that just never did a thing for me. He struck me as stupid fuck, I actually paid money for a gig in Halifax back around 2007 I think and the dumb fuck made me and 9,999 other people sit around for 3 fucking hours before he felt the need to grace us with his smile...The stupid gig finished at some dumb hour in the morning. And clearly he has chosen to never get out on a football pitch or put on skis or pick up a pair of sneakers to go for a bicycle ride. How can a guy with that much money and free time find so little time to actually stay in shape.

The Who was a very good band, bu they are far from being the best band ever. They are not as good as Led Zep, They did not know how to write a ballad/ melodic song, for instance

Behind blue eyes could have been one, but it becomes hard rock in the middle of the song. I can't even think of ONE ballad by the Who, while Zep had so many.

Pete Townshend once commented during an interview that he wrote Love Reign O'er Me as a love song but Roger Daltrey turned it into a screamer. I think Townshend is perfectly capable of writing ballads but Daltrey doesn't like singing them.

Listen to Quadrophenia or Tommy , theres plenty of ballads on those discs.

I like the The Who , but as far as them being better than Zep cough cough boolshitt!

"Welcome to the Whopper

we got shakes -n- fries"

Hey Wally Hood! Hope the weekend's treating you better than it has that sad man in the video.

"we got shake-n-fries" - :lol:

A Rose by any other name would still be a rose, but not this guy. It's time to hang up the hat.

The Who's 'The Kids are Alright' is more melodic than anything Zeppelin ever wrote.

Excluding Townshends stupidity of smashing guitars because he doesn't respect the guitar, the question is,

Is it possible to sell hard rock quality music that doesn't sell any gear (all you need is a gibson sg special or les paul fitted with p90 pickups) or stupid hairdo's, and modelling amps, theatric nonsense, goofy soloist, and so forth.

In other words, just high quality hard rock music. Will the people show up at the stadium without all the bullshit of metal antics? I don't know, the beatles are still very popular, but The Who, I'm not so sure.

The Who's music is actually quite complicated yet very playable live. Changing roles of the bass and electric guitar, ...the music is a refreshing change from Page's million overdubs on every song and thus the song sucks live.

The Who's 'The Kids are Alright' is more melodic than anything Zeppelin ever wrote.

Excluding Townshends stupidity of smashing guitars because he doesn't respect the guitar, the question is,

Is it possible to sell hard rock quality music that doesn't sell any gear (all you need is a gibson sg special or les paul fitted with p90 pickups) or stupid hairdo's, and modelling amps, theatric nonsense, goofy soloist, and so forth.

In other words, just high quality hard rock music. Will the people show up at the stadium without all the bullshit of metal antics? I don't know, the beatles are still very popular, but The Who, I'm not so sure.

The Who's music is actually quite complicated yet very playable live. Changing roles of the bass and electric guitar, ...the music is a refreshing change from Page's million overdubs on every song and thus the song sucks live.

These posts get funnier everyday

But seriously, are you actually a Zeppelin fan?

Ozzy Osbourne and Randy Rhoads blew away anything Led Zeppelin did with their 2 albums before Rhoads got aboard that plane with the lunatic pilot who killed him. The song 'Diary of a Madman' and especially the guitar parts makes Jimmy look bush league. Even Eddie van Halen was an amateur compared to Rhoads. Rhoads was so bored mopping up the rank amateurs of the rock world that he basically quit after 2 very quick albums, bought himself a classical guitar and was about to get a university gig before he bit the dust. .. there were no challenges left. Nothing since has even come close to the pure genius of 'Diary of a Madman'....its the single greatest rock composition of all time...thats the thing...Jimmy couldn't man up and challenge it. Jimmy couldn't do a bleeping thing without Robert Plant...not a thing.

Did you ever see Zep perform live? If so, when and where?

Ozzy Osbourne and Randy Rhoads blew away anything Led Zeppelin did with their 2 albums before Rhoads got aboard that plane with the lunatic pilot who killed him. The song 'Diary of a Madman' and especially the guitar parts makes Jimmy look bush league. Even Eddie van Halen was an amateur compared to Rhoads. Rhoads was so bored mopping up the rank amateurs of the rock world that he basically quit after 2 very quick albums, bought himself a classical guitar and was about to get a university gig before he bit the dust. .. there were no challenges left. Nothing since has even come close to the pure genius of 'Diary of a Madman'....its the single greatest rock composition of all time...thats the thing...Jimmy couldn't man up and challenge it. Jimmy couldn't do a bleeping thing without Robert Plant...not a thing.

Are you kidding me? Page was an artistic genius of the first order. Rhoads was technically proficient but couldn't hold a candle to Page artistically. Get real!! (and listen to TSRTS and HTWWW a few more times!!)

Are you kidding me? Page was an artistic genius of the first order. Rhoads was technically proficient but couldn't hold a candle to Page artistically. Get real!! (and listen to TSRTS and HTWWW a few more times!!)

I guess you never read the book 'Black Sabbath and the Rise of Heavy Metal Music' by Andrew L. Cope @ 2010. The entire book is a comparison of Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbbath....an excerpt:

"In this chapter I have sought to define the origins and core syntax of heavy metal

and its distinction from hard rock. I have also highlighted some of the difficulties

evident in current academic literature where heavy metal seems to be defined

by cultural theory and sociological methods and, most importantly, without due

regard for musical syntax. I have done this by offering musicological arguments to

position Black Sabbath as the founders of a unique set of codes that evolved into

heavy metal and Led Zeppelin (often considered to be the progenitors of heavy

metal) as developing a distinct form of hard rock. As such, there appears to be a

clear dichotomy in musical syntax between these two bands and their legacy."

"I propose, therefore, that Black Sabbath, in a radical transgression of their blues

roots, evolved a new and original form of music based on sequences of powerchords,

down-tuned guitars coloured with distortion, riffs and melodic concepts

based on privileged intervals such as the tritone and flat 2nd, modal contours (and

judicious omission of blues and rock and roll conventions), episodic structuring

and, finally, as will be demonstrated, anti-patriarchal lyrics that deal with sinister

and other-worldly topics. That collocation of events became the foundation of heavy

metal and as later bands reiterated that synthesis they maintained, re-emphasised

and developed those generic details. Although the genre has mutated, through the

adoption of techniques such as double-kicks and more complex forms of presenting

angular riffs, this evolutionary development of the genre may thus be seen as an

amplification of the transgressions initiated by Black Sabbath. Examples of this

process are found in the emergence of thrash, death, black metal, grindcore and nu

metal and this concept will be more thoroughly explored in Chapters 4 and 5.

Led Zeppelin, by contrast, were as much a folk group as they were a rock band

and the rock music they produced was steeped in the blues devices and conventions

inherited from their days as the New Yardbirds. Such devices included the 12-bar

blues, the 12-bar riff, the transient 3rd, blues scale and pentatonic major scale.

This blues-based and eclectic style of rock is clearly evident in the bands (cited in

the Kerrang! article) who were influenced by Zeppelin, for example, Foo Fighters,

the White Stripes and Audioslave. Dave Grohl, since the demise of Nirvana, has

worked on many projects including Foo Fighters and Queens of the Stone Age,

and the work of Foo Fighters is as eclectic as Led Zeppelin’s (for example, ‘All

My Life’ [2002], ‘Learn to Fly’ [1999])."

"It is clear, therefore, that one of the major contributing factors in shaping Black

Sabbath’s unique sound was the way in which they constructed power-chord riffs

based on a combination of angular intervals, such as the tritone and privileged

use of flat 2nds (including chromatic lines). These riff constructions subsequently

became a major building block in heavy metal. By contrast, the guitar riffs found

within the rock numbers of Led Zeppelin are consistently linear and also founded

on ‘stock-in-trade’ techniques/devices borrowed from the repertoire of blues and

rock and roll. Harmony remains related to tonality (including the 12-bar blues) and

true power-chords are seldom employed."

Jimmys artistic genius is nonsense. He employed ***** STOCK-IN-TRADE****** techniques.

Even a casual Zep fan knows there is more to the band than 12-bar blues and Scotty Moore riffs. Using a violin bow is hardly a stock technique. And there is actually more to LZ than just Jimmy Page and his arsenal of original approaches to playing and recording.

For that matter, there is a lot more to Black Sabbath than angular riffage.

The legacies of great bands like Zeppelin and Sabbath deserve better than to be dragged through this kind of muck.

None. Good talk.

Even a casual Zep fan knows there is more to the band than 12-bar blues and Scotty Moore riffs. Using a violin bow is hardly a stock technique. And there is actually more to LZ than just Jimmy Page and his arsenal of original approaches to playing and recording.

For that matter, there is a lot more to Black Sabbath than angular riffage.

The legacies of great bands like Zeppelin and Sabbath deserve better than to be dragged through this kind of muck.

Amen!

Apart from the fact that author seems to want to compare chalk and cheese, there is some dancing with words there, such as 'The guitar riffs found in the rock numbers by Led Zeppelin' - which doesn't look at the bands material as a whole because it is easier to make the point. It's clutching at straws really. Page is without a doubt a musical magpie, listening to and re-interpreting a vast range of material including the standard blues ***stock and trade*** riffs - well that's pretty normal for any guitarist, you can't sound like rock and roll if you don't listen to it and borrow from it - doing so doesn't take away his own interpretation and delivery which is actually what is meant by 'artistic talent' to me.

In effect the point being made by rdg1 it is like saying, 'Someone did lots of drawings with a popular brand of crayons, so it isn't artistic, while this other person always used charcoal instead, so that is really artistic and much better'

I have my Sabbath days, for sure sometimes they hit the spot better than anything, but every day is a Led Zep day.

Archived