2015 MLB BASEBALL THREAD

Strider

Not looking good for the Mets tonight!  Wasn't expecting DeGrom to have an inning like that....plus the Mets offense has seemed to come to a halt tonight unlike the two previous rounds! 

Remember, it's not who has the best team/record during the regular season, but being hot and clicking on all cylinders at the right time during the postseason! 

Good example, being the 2006 Cards who defeated the Mets in the NLCS and wound up World Series champions, meanwhile finishing the regular season just a couple of games above .500!  The 1973 Mets were about the same and took one of the great A's teams to 7 games in the World Series but falling a bit short!  I'm sure there are plenty of more to support this!

Not looking good for the Mets tonight!  Wasn't expecting DeGrom to have an inning like that....plus the Mets offense has seemed to come to a halt tonight unlike the two previous rounds! 

Remember, it's not who has the best team/record during the regular season, but being hot and clicking on all cylinders at the right time during the postseason! 

Good example, being the 2006 Cards who defeated the Mets in the NLCS and wound up World Series champions, meanwhile finishing the regular season just a couple of games above .500!  The 1973 Mets were about the same and took one of the great A's teams to 7 games in the World Series but falling a bit short!  I'm sure there are plenty of more to support this!

Are you saying the Mets had a better record this season than the Royals, but the Royals are on a hot streak now?  Because the Royals won 95 games this season, the Mets 90.  So I'm not quite getting your point here.

Of course, I've been known to miss many points in my life... :)

Are you saying the Mets had a better record this season than the Royals, but the Royals are on a hot streak now?  Because the Royals won 95 games this season, the Mets 90.  So I'm not quite getting your point here.

Of course, I've been known to miss many points in my life... :)

My point is not being the amount of games won during the regular season but being hot at the right time!  Irrelevant in the regular season record!  All bets off during the postseason as the slate is wiped clean and a whole new season!

My point is not being the amount of games won during the regular season but being hot at the right time!  Irrelevant in the regular season record!  All bets off during the postseason as the slate is wiped clean and a whole new season!

I will have to agree with SuperDave on this front.  The Saint Louis Cardinals had the best record this 2015 baseball season (100 wins and 62 losses-the best record in Baseball) but ultimately failed to take that great record past the NLDS against the Chicago Cubs.  It is of My opinion that the Chicago Cubs were not the "better" team then the Pirates or the Cardinals but obviously had the better team momentum going into the Post-Season until they encountered the New York Mets. 

Well, the current situation is reminding me of the Detroit Tigers 3 years ago--they ran through the Yankees like a buzzsaw in the ALCS, then after about a 5 day layoff, we know what the G-Men did to them in the World Series.

I'm not saying that KC is going to sweep, but the situation does seem dire at the moment.....

#*&%ing Johnny Cueto!!!

When he got into trouble in the fourth inning I groaned to myself, "Here we go again."  That just shows how little I know! The Royals probably hoped he would give them seven solid innings so they could give their bullpen some rest.  He exceeded their expectations by pitching a complete game.  You don't see complete games that much anymore in MLB. You see them even less in the MLB post-season.  

It looks pretty dire for the Mets but I recall the Mets coming back from 0-2 to win the World Series. 1986 anyone?

Of course that was against a snake-bitten Red Sox team with the likes of old hangdog Bob Stanley in their bullpen. These Royals don't resemble those Red Sox in the slightest.

^^ Ya Gotta Believe, Paul- Ya Gotta Believe!

It was pointed out to me yesterday, that in 1986 the Mets lost Game 1 of the Series by 1 run, and Game 2 of the Series by 6 runs, and of course went on to win in 7 games. This year, the Mets lost Game 1 to the Royals by 1 run, and lost game 2 by 6 runs......

Two run lead but only top of the 6th with so much to go.  Keep the optimism going and I will have it as long as the Mets win tonight!  KC is just such a tough team and was hoping from the beginning that the Mets would face the BJs instead, but not like I could pick and chose on this!

Mets just need to keep gnawing at KC and prevail!  Than again I wasn't expecting my Mets to make the postseason this year, but would get close as I thought the Nats would be too tough to overcome.  I guess that's why Matt Williams is out of a job!

Oh boy, Tyler Clippard--he never makes things easy...  :rolleyes:

:unsure:

Or quick.

Watching the Mets boot the ball around like FC Barcelona, somewhere Bill Buckner must be smiling. There is an old truism that a series never gets serious until the road team wins. 

Well, it's serious as a heart attack now for the Mets. I guess it's up to The Dark Knight to rise up in Game 5 and save Gotham.

Yeah, I don't know where the hell Clippard came from, but send the bum packing after this season is over--which will probably be tomorrow night. Even with Harvey going tomorrow, the Mets seem to have both feet in the grave--it's just a matter of when KC will throw the dirt over them....

:(

Well I feel for Wright.  He can go get a beer with Scott Norwood and Buckner.  They would not have gotten this far without him.  But this is baseball and I know all too well that no lead is safe as my Orioles blew 2 Series in the 70s to the Pirates.  Willie Stargel and that jive ass garbage "we are family"!?

I guess not the year for the Mets, but I feel they beat themselves in games one and tonight as they had it if they had gotten good relief work! :D  Mr. October (for the 2010's, Mr. Murphy) booted a routine ball, which cost the Mets gravely! :o  There was probably a bit of a chance of the Mets holding on to Murphy (regardless of his performance in the first two rounds), but that is probably gone now with that boot and hitting .176 before his final at bat in the WS.  The long layoff hasn't helped the Mets (except last night) or any other team with layoffs like that, when they dominate their round before the WS. Many teams have had these probs before such as Detroit a few years ago, many Braves teams and the '76 Yankees for sure. 

I am a huge Mets fan and I'm not going to blame KC for anything as all the fault goes on my Mets.  I didn't expect the Mets to make the postseason this year, but thought they might get close to a wild card birth.  I thought, the (G)Nats would be too dominant and take the Eastern Division with ease but no avail with the Mets aquisitions at the trading deadline. 

The Mets went well beyond my expectations and so happy for them. even with losses like this in the WS which could have been prevented.  It happens.  The four young guns they have are amazing and they should have them for at least a few years and hope the Mets hierarchy thinks more about the $$$s that can be brought in for the future than the $$$s to be spent before to retain them!  There hasn't been a staff like this since the 90's Braves and potential to be better.  Even phenomenal MLB analyst John Smoltz has said this over the last few days.

It wasn't the inexperienced young starting pitching that has lost two of these games but relief pitching and defense. 

This has been a bit overlong, but just making points!  With a poor performance by Cespedes in the PS so far, I don't see the Mets signing him to a multi year deal as he was unreal for 6+ weeks and basically dead since then.  He did carry them significantly to the PS as they would not be here without his efforts!  I bet Cespedes has cost himself nearly $5 million annually for his poor post season performance. 

Not over yet but close.  Mets should contend with the pitching depth and more experience and depending on transactions during the off season.  I don't expect Murphy or Cespedes to be in the opening day lineup for 2016, but we'll see! :o 

Well I feel for Wright.  He can go get a beer with Scott Norwood and Buckner.  They would not have gotten this far without him.  But this is baseball and I know all too well that no lead is safe as my Orioles blew 2 Series in the 70s to the Pirates.  Willie Stargel and that jive ass garbage "we are family"!?

Was that garbage or real?  I always liked Stargell but maybe you know more about this than I do as I was in Jr. High than back in '79 during this.

David Wright will most likely retire as a Met even with his back problems.  Has the same condition that Mattingly had which shortened his career.  Wright is now the longest tenured player in MLB. About 11 1/2 years on Mets.  Funny thing is that up until the end of July trading deadline it was Chase Utley! :o

Archived