2015 MLB BASEBALL THREAD

Strider

With the Saint Louis Cardinals having the best record in baseball so far, 32 wins and 16 losses and the Baltimore Orioles having the under .500 record with 23 wins and 24 losses, it seems at this somewhat mid-point in the first half of the season that a Cardinals/Orioles World Series is a very long, longshot. For the Orioles that is. I strongly believe that the St. Louis Cardinals will make it to and be the first team in MLB history to make it to the National League Championship Series 5 years in-a-row.

I challenge anyone to name a current team in the past 30+ years to rival what the Cardinals have done and accomplished in just the past 4 years.

If anyone cares to reply and dispute my post, I ask you refrain from ignorant name-calling towards Me but is cool to me if you dislike Me and what I post. Just remember, I do not even reside in Saint Louis, Missouri (anymore). I live in the Great State of Texas.

Go Astros and Cardinals!!!

Seriously? The Giants have won 3 World Series in the past 4 seasons to the Cardinals one.

San Francisco > St. Louis.

Then there's the Yankees incredible 4-year run from 1998-2001...4 straight World Series appearances and 3 straight championships. Add in the 1996 WS and the Yankees had 5 WS appearances and 4 WS championships in 6 years.

New York Yankees > St. Louis

Yes, the Cardinals are a consistent contender most of the time but they aren't the greatest by a long-shot. They have their lapses and their down years and like Atlanta, often have much regular-season success with little to show for it.

^ That summed it up pretty nicely, Strider. In true baseball fashion, with statistical evidence. Scoreboard, if you will.

I'm interested in seeing our standings after May, in the picks challenge. From my glances at the standings, it looks like some of my picks have come to life and my reverse psychology in the AL East is staying true.

I still can't believe the Yanks are leading the East after 2 months, even though they are the only team over .500 in that division. On paper they should be dead in the water...

This is why you can't too excited or too sad about the division standings in April--The G-Men, who were in the cellar last month now have a 1/2 game lead over the Dodgers, while the Mets lag behind the Nats in the East...

Yeah, my cut off point of the season is the end of July - that's when you have the contenders and the pretenders pretty much classified.

Yeah, my cut off point of the season is the end of July - that's when you have the contenders and the pretenders pretty much classified.

Same here...I use my birthday as the starting point for when I really start to care about the division races.

Seriously? The Giants have won 3 World Series in the past 4 seasons to the Cardinals one.

San Francisco > St. Louis.

Then there's the Yankees incredible 4-year run from 1998-2001...4 straight World Series appearances and 3 straight championships. Add in the 1996 WS and the Yankees had 5 WS appearances and 4 WS championships in 6 years.

New York Yankees > St. Louis

Yes, the Cardinals are a consistent contender most of the time but they aren't the greatest by a long-shot. They have their lapses and their down years and like Atlanta, often have much regular-season success with little to show for it.

Nice points and very duly noted on my part and very duly noted on your part. (I am not here to make enemies). But I believe that the San Francisco Giant have won 3 World Series in the past 5 years and not the past 4 seasons. Still a very impressive feat and one that will stand out among Baseballs greatest achievements.

I will point out one more actual fact regarding the Cardinals: After the New York Yankees, the Saint Louis Cardinals are in second place, if there is even a second place in total World Series Championships, and if there is, the Cardinals are in that Pantheon of the Greatest Baseball Teams of All-Time.

Again, this is a Fact and not just my boastings or opinions.

Are the Baltimore Orioles tearing up the American League East as some have predicted? Do any of the teams in that division even have a winning record at this point in the season? And by a winning record I mean a winning record of at least 5 games over .500 and not 1 game over .500? Where are the true fans of these teams at, (on this topic) even though these teams are currently some of the worst in baseball? Win one game and then lose two. Win two and then lose four games in a row. I would say that that is not very consistent and not a viable way to make it to the 2015 Post-Season. There is always next year.

If my favorite team(s) were at this point and with a sub-par and losing record, I would still post posts to cheer them on and support them. Luckily for Me, My team is in a place (1st) to where I do not have to worry about any of that at this time. Maybe I might in a month or two or three but right now I am happy with the way They are playing and Winning.

Call Me an asshole or whatever, I don't care. If so, at least call Me an "Asshole" with "Respect".

I'm right here. I'm posting.

YOU'RE AN ASSHOLE. And I mean that with no respect whatsoever.

I am totally cool with that. Words are just that, words. I actually meant this to be interpreted by someone else.

Just in case you got to joyous calling me "AN ASSHOLE", just remember that the Baltimore Orioles record is 23 wins and 26 losses. (.469).

The Cardinals are 33 wins and 17 losses. (.660).

PEACE!!!

Well,we can all agree that the Red Sox stink! :thumbdown:

For now, maybe. But who knows what's to come...maybe by August they'll round into form?

Hey Bong-Man! Where you at? What's with your Tigers? The Angels just completed a rare 4-game sweep on your boys from Detroit. Never thought I'd see a Miggy Cabrera team swept.

^^

Now you know why I didn't pick them this year. We've got some obvious problems. "Jobba the Hut" as our 8th inning relief is the most obvious. Victor is out...Verlander is out....Avila, our only left-handed bat is out....I see things getting worse before they get better. Jose Iglasius is our only bright spot. He's got a weird knack for infield hits. Through the years we never do play well on the West coast though.

I watched those night games the next morning with my coffee. :) Been doing that for years.

How about those Twins ? After seeing them in April I had them left for dead. I still think the Indians are going to surge to the top and give KC a run for their money in the Central.

^^

Now you know why I didn't pick them this year. We've got some obvious problems. "Jobba the Hut" as our 8th inning relief is the most obvious. Victor is out...Verlander is out....Avila, our only left-handed bat is out....I see things getting worse before they get better. Jose Iglasius is our only bright spot. He's got a weird knack for infield hits. Through the years we never do play well on the West coast though.

I watched those night games the next morning with my coffee. :) Been doing that for years.

How about those Twins ? After seeing them in April I had them left for dead. I still think the Indians are going to surge to the top and give KC a run for their money in the Central.

It is not as bad as the nightmare that is Chris Tillman. Him and Joba should board the next bus back to single A. Worthless fuck that he has been for us. This season is slipping way even though its still within reach and fixable if they do it right. The young guys like Wright have come through in fashion. But the return of Matt Wieters at this weeks end is a day I have waited long for. I do believe Wieters and Schoop can lift the O's back into it.

^^

I've got some business in Pell City tomorrow.

Should I pay Todd Jones a visit? I know where he lives and it wouldn't be too far out of my way.

Aerial America, a great show on the State history, beauty and more, mentioned that game 7 of 1985 in their Missouri special. Gee. What was that score? 9-0 I seem to remember as I was in a drunken stupor in a Philly Holiday Inn after seeing the Bills/Eagles and then Flyers game the same day. Back at the hotel we watched George Brett and KC have their way with the Cards.

Aerial America, a great show on the State history, beauty and more, mentioned that game 7 of 1985 in their Missouri special. Gee. What was that score? 9-0 I seem to remember as I was in a drunken stupor in a Philly Holiday Inn after seeing the Bills/Eagles and then Flyers game the same day. Back at the hotel we watched George Brett and KC have their way with the Cards.

Well, as you know I was born in a suburb of KC, and most of my immediate relatives still live in that area.

Viva the Royals!

Those were some great KC teams back then. Lots of respect for them, being a Yankees fan and facing them 4 out of 5 years in the AL playoffs. George Brett is a great guy! Another WS loss for the Cards. Sh!t they've only won what 2 championships in the past 30+ years?

Those were some great KC teams back then. Lots of respect for them, being a Yankees fan and facing them 4 out of 5 years in the AL playoffs. George Brett is a great guy! Another WS loss for the Cards. Sh!t they've only won what 2 championships in the past 30+ years?

I believe that you are correct. As much as I boast about the Cardinals being (one of) the best baseball teams (ever), They have only won 2 World Series in the past 30 years since losing to the Kansas City Royals in 1985.

However, since 1985, the Cardinals have represented the National League 5 times in the World Series since then. Winning those 2 and losing 3.

1987: Lost to the Minnesota Twins 3-4

2004: Lost to the Boston Red Sox 0-4

2006: Beat the Detroit Tigers 4-1

2011: Beat the Texas Rangers 4-3

2013: Lost to the Boston Red Sox 2-4...

National League Championship Series (since 1985):

1987: Beat the San Francisco Giants 4-3

1996: Lost to the Atlanta Braves 3-4

2000: Lost to the New York Mets 1-4

2002: Lost to the San Francisco Giants 1-4

2004: Beat the the Houston Astros 4-3

2005: Lost to the Houston Astros 2-4

2006: Beat the New York Mets 4-3

2011: Beat the Milwaukee Brewers 4-2

2012: Lost to the San Francisco Giants 3-4

2013: Beat the Los Angeles Dodgers 4-2

2014: Lost to the San Francisco Giants 1-4...

I am not going to do all the research but I will say that this winning and losing of the Saint Louis Cardinals, whether in a WS or NLCS, surely beats around 75% of all the other MLB teams that have played season after season and not winning a NLCS or WS title in the past 30+ years...

... the Baltimore Orioles being one of those 75% teams among at least a dozen or more that have not won a World Series or even made it to the Championship Series in the past 30+ years.

If I happened to make mistakes with any spelling or grammatical errors so be it. I made sure that I did not make any mistakes when it came down to what I just posted about the Saint Louis Cardinals and Their good and bad Post-Season play. Even if you really dislike the Cardinals, for whatever reason, this summation of Their post 1985 career is Very Impressive.

Besides the Yankees, Giants, Braves and a couple of other teams, there is not another team in Baseball that can match such a storied career that the Cardinals have had in the past 30 years. And an even more storied career in History of the Saint Louis Cardinals Organization going back decades.

GO CARDINALS!!!

Well I said the Cubs would be better and now they are playing like it. Another sorry loss for my team. Had the lead into the 7th and blew it. Wieters return is two days away. He has to give them a shot in the arm. and Schoop whenever the hell he is back? I hope Matt Wieters can be the player he was. If so, it is going to help us big time

Matt Holliday's 45-game on-base streak ended last night when he was ejected from the game for disputing a called 3rd strike. He did, however, set a National League record for his streak. He was 8 games shy of tying Derek Jeter's all-time record of 53 straight games of reaching base to begin a season and that was in 1999.

A very impressive accomplishment and surely a 2015 All-Star. Congratulations Matt.

Archived