2015 MLB BASEBALL THREAD

Strider

^^ Heh, yeah, I remember saying before the season started that I thought Collins should have been fired because I didn't think he could lead the Mets to the promised land (ooops)...  :blush:

Still, I'm wondering if having days off before the series starts will cool off those hot Met bats--Murphy in particular....

^^ Heh, yeah, I remember saying before the season started that I thought Collins should have been fired because I didn't think he could lead the Mets to the promised land (ooops)...  :blush:

Still, I'm wondering if having 6 days off before the series starts will cool off those hot Met bats--Murphy in particular....

Only if we're lucky...  ;)

^ When you've got this starting pitching, why worry about bats? All the hot hitting teams have suddenly gone meek in these playoffs, or lost slugfests where neither team pitched well. I'll worry about the batting lineup next season, as far as who they retain - or possibly acquire.

Relax, Paul - and enjoy!

Still, I'm wondering if having days off before the series starts will cool off those hot Met bats--Murphy in particular....

Rest cools off a hot bat. But it's good for the pitchers and for getting guys with little aches and pains fresh for the WS.

As one who believes in second-chances, I am happy for former Angel manager Terry Collins.

True about Tino making us Yankees fans forget about Donnie Baseball not being a Yankee anymore.  He was basically all we had for a while there in the late 80's/early 90's...

I wasn't referring to your manager statement.

:peace:

The were a lot of them!  Guys that were solid players coming together to be apart of something magical!  They didn't "buy"that team in 96. They traded smart and grew their farm system.  Hope that's the way they're heading in the future.  Big contracts never pay out on the field.  

I entered through the Mets but no such luck unless I go other avenues.  I'd have to take out a loan even for Bob Ueker seats as they'll be ridiculous!

Hi Dave, nice to see you back on the forum again! :wave:

I guess you got the "sorry your entry was not selected" email from the Mets too. I think they sell standing room only tickets, but I heard even those are mega-expensive. Wondering if Game 3 at Citi Field might be had for a reasonable price as people would probably charge more for Games 4 & 5 .

I just heard that the New York Mets have not been to a World Series in 15 years.  So I am happy for them.  The Saint Louis Cardinals have been to the World Series 4 times (2004/2006/2011/2013) in the past 11 years so I am happy to see a team that really deserves to be in it, be in it this year and this year only. 

By the way, Rick seems to be MIA ever since his "team of destiny", the Chicago Cubs, got swept on "Back to the Future" day when it was prophesized that the Chicago Cubs were to win the 2015 World Series and where he exclaimed that the Cubs were "HUGE" and all the other nonsense that he espouses. 

The Price is wrong in the playoffs. The guy is shook, even though this is a bad call. Looks like interference to me. Should've been a double.

Can someone explain why ballparks seem to have different clearance for a homer? Boston has the green monster, for instance, making it decidedly unfriendly for HRs, whereas other ballparks are known as 'hitter' parks. Just seems weird there's no standard, assuming the length on all three sides is the same in every stadium.

The Price is wrong in the playoffs. The guy is shook, even though this is a bad call. Looks like interference to me. Should've been a double.

Can someone explain why ballparks seem to have different clearance for a homer? Boston has the green monster, for instance, making it decidedly unfriendly for HRs, whereas other ballparks are known as 'hitter' parks. Just seems weird there's no standard, assuming the length on all three sides is the same in every stadium.

The dimensions are different in each park.  Everything is different in each park.  Each park has its own ground rules, hence the ball in the ivy in Chicago the other night.  I think one reason is because of the different amounts of acreage in each city that they had to squeeze a ballpark into (sorry for that sentence - I know it's horribly constructed).  Also, just like there's no clock, there is also no set field size. 

That's part the beauty of baseball, at least to me.

The dimensions are different in each park.  Everything is different in each park.  Each park has its own ground rules, hence the ball in the ivy in Chicago the other night.  I think one reason is because of the different amounts of acreage in each city that they had to squeeze a ballpark into (sorry for that sentence - I know it's horribly constructed).  Also, just like there's no clock, there is also no set field size. 

That's part the beauty of baseball, at least to me.

Honestly, that's shocking, I had no idea! I can't think of any other sport where different dimensions are allowed. Other sports like American football need to build same field size stadiums and manage. And in other untimed sports like tennis or golf, athletes still have the same field of play. I know that the distances from the pitcher's mound to home plate, and from base to base are the same in every ballpark (right??), but this just seems like a strange acceptance, and for someone hearing it for the first time, it's really odd and unfair. I mean, there are absurdities like the monster wall in Boston, but I guess the equalizer is that the same conditions apply to both teams. Sounds as if this is exclusive to baseball.

Thanks for clarifying, ebk.

No review necessary, Jose, well done!

Honestly, that's shocking, I had no idea! I can't think of any other sport where different dimensions are allowed. Other sports like American football need to build same field size stadiums and manage. And in other untimed sports like tennis or golf, athletes still have the same field of play. I know that the distances from the pitcher's mound to home plate, and from base to base are the same in every ballpark (right??), but this just seems like a strange acceptance, and for someone hearing it for the first time, it's really odd and unfair. I mean, there are absurdities like the monster wall in Boston, but I guess the equalizer is that the same conditions apply to both teams. Sounds as if this is exclusive to baseball.

+1 for Jose!  Let's get going, Jays!!

You're right Patrycja, the infield is the same size in each ballpark.  Just the distance to the outfield fences, and the height and layout of those fences are different.  Makes the game interesting :)

It's even more absurd than you imagined.  Baseball teams will often design their offense and defense around their home stadiums' quirks.  If a team's home stadium is home-run friendly, the team will usually acquire power hitters who can hit a lot of home runs.  If a team's stadium isn't home-run friendly and has artificial turf, the team management will usually emphasize defensive skills, speed and the ability to get on base.

It's even more absurd than you imagined.  Baseball teams will often design their offense and defense around their home stadiums' quirks.  If a team's home stadium is home-run friendly, the team will usually acquire power hitters who can hit a lot of home runs.  If a team's stadium isn't home-run friendly and has artificial turf, the team management will usually emphasize defensive skills, speed and the ability to get on base.

I don't see it as absurd.  I see it as a charming part of the game.  Even after the park is completed, the team will sometimes move the fences in or out, depending on how the team itself is constructed.  I love it.  But I love baseball.

And come on Jays.  Wake up that offense!

Archived