2015 MLB BASEBALL THREAD

Strider

It's even more absurd than you imagined.  Baseball teams will often design their offense and defense around their home stadiums' quirks.  If a team's home stadium is home-run friendly, the team will usually acquire power hitters who can hit a lot of home runs.  If a team's stadium isn't home-run friendly and has artificial turf, the team management will usually emphasize defensive skills, speed and the ability to get on base.

That's interesting in terms strategy for teams and drama for fans; I think our team changed to artificial turf and the team's still getting used to it, but I get your point. In other team sports, adjustments can be made depending on line-ups rather than fields, but in baseball it seems it's both stadium and opponent. I guess versatility in a line-up is key. If you're strong on D - never a bad thing, especially for playoffs, and you can manufacture runs in a variety of ways - LIKE HOME RUNS RIGHT NOW GO JOSE GO!!!!! - then you've got a better chance to win :D

The rain delay is heaven sent for KC in this situation.  It gives the manager time to get his team to take a deep breath and recover from what just took place.  They have two more at bats to Toronto's one so they have that advantage.  The Jays must feel like the weight of the world came off them but they still have plenty to worry about

Not sure whom I want my Mets to face in the World Series:huh:  Both the BJs and Royals are dangerous in their own way.  The Royals have speed, lot of power and so much athleticism, while Toronto has just so much power in the lineup! The Mets young power starters are just amazing and how much they can dominate either of these teams, remains to be seen!  Some sports media have said this is the best starting rotation since the 90's Braves and probably true with possibly being better as these guys mature with two of four being rookies.  Total of seven years in the can (not full years) between the four.  And yet their 5th Zack Wheeler will return next year who is also quite good as well.  The potential is....who knows?

Terry Collins has tried to push these starters as far as they can go as the Mets mid relief can be suspect at times and why Colon, Niece and (The Winds Of)"Thor" have been used in these spots.  The Mets relief has been used an average of  1 2/3 innings through the playoffs,while all the other teams are far over 2+ innings.  Been amazing the job Famiglia has done as closer during the PS for the Mets! 

I still can't figure Daniel Murphy as this is just so much more than going on a tear!  He's never gone beyond than hitting HRs in consecutive games during his career until now.....and he's done it in six straight,,,,,just crazy!  Some upper force is on their side!  Was it Pope Francis' visit to NYC back in late September that may have had a blessing on the Mets?  He also visited DC and Philly and the Mets played those two teams away back to back after his visit!  Just speculating but perhaps a bit strange!

Tale of the series - men left on base. Royals executed better. Congrats to them on the win.

So true.  My cousin who lives in Kansas City told me that street vendors have been selling Royals t-shirts that say, "We're back! Deal with it. American League Championship Series 2015. In our house." for the past week.  She is a huge Royals fan and has been insufferable all season.  

So true.  My cousin who lives in Kansas City told me that street vendors have been selling Royals t-shirts that say, "We're back! Deal with it. American League Championship Series 2015. In our house." for the past week.  She is a huge Royals fan and has been insufferable all season.  

Oh really? Hmm. Guess I'll be cheering for the Mets to take it all this year, then. It'll be nice for long-suffering fans of the 'other' New York team to celebrate.

I just read that the Baltimore Orioles are on the verge of firing that old man, Buck-whatever his last name is.  Imagine that, American League manager of the year, one year, and then thrown out on his ass the next year.  Brutal.  If this does indeed happen, I will not feel sorry for rick or ebk as that will make the Orioles into another last place team with a losing record all over again in 2016. 

Just as well, I also read that the Saint Louis Cardinals will offer contract extension to every one of the Cardinals Coaches, from Mike Matheny all the way down to the coach who is the catcher in the Saint Louis Cardinals bullpen. 

That include Jose Ocuendo.  The best third base coach in the Major Leagues. 

Oh really? Hmm. Guess I'll be cheering for the Mets to take it all this year, then. It'll be nice for long-suffering fans of the 'other' New York team to celebrate.

The funny thing is that my cousin never cared anything for sports until she started dating her ex boyfriend.  He is a huge sports fan and took her to a Royals game for their first date.  She eventually kicked him to curb but retained her love for the Royals.

The funny thing is that my cousin never cared anything for sports until she started dating her ex boyfriend.  He is a huge sports fan and took her to a Royals game for their first date.  She eventually kicked him to curb but retained her love for the Royals.

Ha! Relationships are often like that - take it all in at first, but by the end you leave the bad bits and keep the good bits. Who are you rooting for?

Here's a funny bit from hardcore Mets fan comedian Jim Breuer, when the Mets defeated LA in the NLDS.  Funny stuff!

Also, another big Mets fan Jimmy Kimmel had several of the Mets on his show Friday night.  Those being...David Wright, Jacob DeGrom, Wilmer Flores and Matt Harvey.  Here's the show clip!

Lot of the celebrity Mets fans have been hitting the circuit recently on the NYC sports radio programs including Bill Maher (whom owns a stake in the Mets) and Jerry Seinfeld, who was on WFAN this afternoon for a good thirty minutes.  Jerry is a big Mets fan and quite often goes on the broadcasts for a bit.  He was doing this even during down years just recently, so not a fair weather fan!

I think this baseball being played in "November" thing, could be cured by the current commissioner deciding to cut the regular season back to 154 games. 

Of course, I think Walter pointed this out before the season started, that all the sports were starting later this year...

Terry Collins going with Harvey, not deGrom for Game 1--I'm not going to second guess that one, considering how far the Mets have come to this point. I'm guessing the bats for both teams may be a bit cold from the layoff.

Head-to-head how can you not like the Mets starting rotation vs. whoever the Royals will throw out there--Cueto can be solid at times & at other times he gets bombed. Maybe I said this before, but Mets in 7, maybe 6....

Terry Collins going with Harvey, not deGrom for Game 1--I'm not going to second guess that one, considering how far the Mets have come to this point. I'm guessing the bats for both teams may be a bit cold from the layoff.

Head-to-head how can you not like the Mets starting rotation vs. whoever the Royals will throw out there--Cueto can be solid at times & at other times he gets bombed. Maybe I said this before, but Mets in 7, maybe 6....

I will pick KC in 6.  Too deep for the Mets at the Plate.  Speed and defense also.  Big mistake not going with DeGrom in game one if this is true.  You forget one thing.  KC has been here.  The Mets have not made the playoffs in ages.

It seems no matter what happens when it comes to sports, my teams always seem to lose - Come on Toronto Blue Jays 2016!!!!

Welcome to the party pal.  Over on the other side of Lake Ontario we sit.  Buffalo has waited a long time also. But not in baseball.  My Orioles can be back in the race, but the off season this year will be very interesting.  I just hope this SOB puts up the money and does not let us down.  Look at the Mets, they go from the out house to the penthouse in one year.  And they could wind up back in the shit house next year if the Nats use their talent.  The AL East is always a battle.  The Yankees are falling upon times they went through in the 60's and 70's.  No more do they rule the East.  They best get used to it.  Boston is going to be down right scary next year it seems.  If the end of last this regular season is any indication

I think for the most part, playoff experience in baseball is kind of overrated--I mean, look at the Dodgers and Cardinals, the teams who had the most recent playoff experience of all the teams in the National League & they are sitting at home watching the Mets play in the "big dance."

If I was calling the shots, I would have went with deGrom for Game 1. but so far, Terry Collins has pushed all the right buttons, so I won't second guess him now...

Good grief. That makes no sense whatsoever. "We're back! Deal with it"? Like they are the New York Yankees or St. Louis Cardinals or something. It would make sense if those teams printed a shirt like that. But Kansas City?

They are back in the World Series so congratulations and all that, but ferchrissakes they didn't even win it last year. In fact, the Royals have only won one World Series in my lifetime...in 1985 over the Cardinals. Plus, the whole "Deal with it" suggests a chip on their shoulder, as if they feel people are hating on them. I haven't heard anybody expressing that sort of displeasure about Kansas City. Most people like the fact a perennial doormat team that develops talent through the farm system can still do well in the playoffs in this age of $200 million-plus payrolls. It was the same reason so many were happy to see Houston, Toronto, Chicago in the playoffs...even the Mets. New blood.

I picked the Royals to win the World Series in the pool, but being anti-DH, I tend to cheer for the National League team. After reading about these asinine Kansas City shirts, I am even more in favour of the Mets now. GO METS!

Something very wrong with baseball being played into November

I think this baseball being played in "November" thing, could be cured by the current commissioner deciding to cut the regular season back to 154 games. 

^ Who's complaining, Paul? Last I checked, there was no problem selling tickets, and no snowstorms disrupting games.

You obviously haven't watched any World Series games lately, jimmie ray. Games in New York, Boston, Detroit, and other Eastern/Midwestern cities where the temps for World Series games were dipping down into the 40s.

Only a 4-game sweep will save us from November baseball this year. Game 4 is on October 31...Halloween night.

Interesting pitching match-ups the first two games. Harvey vs. Volquez for Game 1. deGrom vs. Cueto for Game 2. Paul, I guess Terry Collins felt more confident in deGrom going up against Cueto than Harvey. Not only does a layoff cool down bats, but cold weather curtails offense, too. The ball doesn't carry as well in frigid temps. I am already reading rain is forecast for Game 1 tonight, which could play havoc with the rotation.

Archived