The Beatles-White Album Redux

Inspired by The Love That I Found's thread 'Re-doing Physical Graffiti'. Got me to thinking, "The double album that could really use a trim is the Beatles White Album'. George Martin, Ringo and George seem to agree.

(7:47-9:23)

Going by the general guideline that vinyls typically hold approximately 20-25 minutes per side (?) here's what I came up with:

Side A:

1. Revolution (the hard-rocking single version) Great opener, really sets the tone

2. Dear Prudence

3. Glass Onion

4. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

5. The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill

6. While My Guitar Gently Weeps

7. Happiness is a Warm Gun

Running Time: Approx. 24 minutes

Pretty much kept the same running order, minus the exclusions. Side B was a little trickier.

Side B:

1. Yer Blues

2. Mother Nature's Son

3. Blackbird

4. Not Guilty-IMO the most egregious exclusion from the original album. Fits well here between all the acoustic numbers. Gives George his one song per side as well.

5. I'm So Tired

6. I Will

7. Helter Skelter

8. Cry Baby Cry-The 'Can You Take Me Back' ending really works to close the album.

Running Time: Approx. 24 minutes

Thoughts? I've been tinkering with this for a couple weeks, quite happy with it! Just made a copy for my car, feel free to give it a try yourself. B)

Edited by Sathington Willoughby

What the hell...I'll play:

Back In The USSR

Dear Prudence

Obladi Oblada

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Happiness Is A Warm Gun

Blackbird

I'm So Tired

Yer Blues

Mother Nature's Son

Sexy Sadie

Helter Skelter

Long Long Long

Honey Pie

Cry Baby Cry (including the "Can You Take Me Back" snippet, of course)

Some more White Album fun:

Take all of Lennon's White Album songs, play 'em back to back and you've got one of the greatest fuckin' records made by anyone (well...maybe skip "Revolution 9"). McCartney's White Album tracks back to back remind me very much of Ram.

^^^^ I'd defo dump Ob La Di Ob La Da, imo It's one of The Beatles worst songs along with Yellow Submarine and Octopus's Garden.

lol I thought some people might feel this way, same with Bungalow Bill. I like 'em. :P

What the hell...I'll play:

Back In The USSR

Dear Prudence

Obladi Oblada

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Happiness Is A Warm Gun

Blackbird

I'm So Tired

Yer Blues

Mother Nature's Son

Sexy Sadie

Helter Skelter

Long Long Long

Honey Pie

Cry Baby Cry (including the "Can You Take Me Back" snippet, of course)

Some more White Album fun:

Take all of Lennon's White Album songs, play 'em back to back and you've got one of the greatest fuckin' records made by anyone (well...maybe skip "Revolution 9"). McCartney's White Album tracks back to back remind me very much of Ram.

I know its not on Ram, but that reminds me, Junk would've been a good addition... hmm. Maybe a bonus track. B)

Honey Pie, really?!? Surprising, lol. I figured my exclusion of Long, Long, Long and Julia might not be popular.

See, that's the part that's just about impossible when it comes to lashing together a single album version...everybody has different songs they'd use and always ask "What about <enter song here>.?!"

Probably a large part of why The Beatles ignored George Martin's suggestion and said, "Fuck it, let's just put out all thirty songs!" In retrospect they really should have used "Not Guilty" and "What's The New Mary Jane" anyway to make 32 songs...they're certainly no worse than some of the songs they did put on the album!

See, that's the part that's just about impossible when it comes to lashing together a single album version...everybody has different songs they'd use and always ask "What about <enter song here>.?!"

Probably a large part of why The Beatles ignored George Martin's suggestion and said, "Fuck it, let's just put out all thirty songs!" In retrospect they really should have used "Not Guilty" and "What's The New Mary Jane" anyway to make 32 songs...they're certainly no worse than some of the songs they did put on the album!

Yea. Surely there are a few though that we can agree must be on there, like WMGGW and HIAWG, for example. I wonder if there is anyone who would object to Revolution 9 not making the cut? I mean, I personally don't hate it, but its more of a curiosity than something I listen to over and over.

Edited by Sathington Willoughby

I wonder if there is anyone who would object to Revolution 9 not making the cut? I mean, I personally don't hate it, but its more of a curiosity than something I listen to over and over.

I like the idea/concept behind "Revolution 9" more than the actual track itself. Eight minutes of that is a bit excessive...three minutes could have been a bit more palatable to the average listener (I mean, on the "out there" scale it's really not much wierder than "Tomorrow Never Knows" -another track which found its foundation in tape loops, etc and must have been a shock to the teenyboppers back in '66). No question, John, Yoko and George put a hell of a lot of work into "Revolution 9" and I suppose I can't really picture the White Album as released without it. "Revolution 9" is one of the tracks that makes the White Album, you know, the White Album...of course having said that, I can't help but notice when looking at side four of my scratchy old vinyl copy that the last two tracks are in much better condition than the rest of the side :lol:

I like the idea/concept behind "Revolution 9" more than the actual track itself. Eight minutes of that is a bit excessive...three minutes could have been a bit more palatable to the average listener (I mean, on the "out there" scale it's really not much wierder than "Tomorrow Never Knows" -another track which found its foundation in tape loops, etc and must have been a shock to the teenyboppers back in '66). No question, John, Yoko and George put a hell of a lot of work into "Revolution 9" and I suppose I can't really picture the White Album as released without it. "Revolution 9" is one of the tracks that makes the White Album, you know, the White Album...of course having said that, I can't help but notice when looking at side four of my scratchy old vinyl copy that the last two tracks are in much better condition than the rest of the side :lol:

I know what you mean, part of the reason I included Glass Onion and Helter Skelter. (Which also feature great basslines, chef free) ;) I would also think that Dear Prudence and Blackbird would have to be included.

• 4 years later...

I have been listening to the White Album recently and started thinking about what a single album version might look like.  Then I did a search and found this thread.  Interesting to see everyone's ideas.   Here is my take.

1.    "Back in the U.S.S.R."    
2.    "Dear Prudence"       
3.    "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" 
4.    "I'm So Tired"    
5.    "Blackbird"    
6.    "I Will"    I came to appreciate this song more when my band learned it for a wedding gig.
about 18  minutes

Side two
1.    "Birthday"    
2.    "Yer Blues"    
3.    "Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey"    
5.    "Sexy Sadie"    
6.    "Helter Skelter"    
7.    "Revolution 1"  

about 21 minutes

• 1 month later...

Beatles's producer George Martin once said he thought the White Album should have been a single album. I think there was a lot of filler/crap on that album.

1968 was not a year of peace and happiness (RFK/MLK assassinations, police riot at Democratic Convention in Chicago, Viet Nam war protests, riots in France, the Prague Spring, etc.). So, the album should reflect a more serious, harder edge (like the Stones did with "Beggar's Banquet").

Imagine (sorry for the pun) how great it would be as a single album EVEN WHEN YOU INCLUDE "HEY JUDE" and the "REVOLUTION" single, both of which were recorded around the same time.

IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER:

• Revolution (single version)
  • Hey Jude
  • Glass Onion ("looking through the bent back tulips (two lips???), to see how the other half lives..."?
  • While My Guitar Gently Weeps
  • Yer Blues
  • Helter Skelter
  • Back in the USSR (only because it leads into...)
  • ...Dear Prudence
  • Everybody's Got Something To Hide (except for me and my monkey) THE MONKEES?? Nope, dope.
  • Happiness is a Warm Gun
  • Birthday
  • Cry Baby Cry
  • Savoy Truffle
  • Don't Pass Me By (the obligatory Ringo song -- don't get me wrong, I think Ringo is great!)
  • Blackbird
  • ...and for a bit o' fun in the run off, just a small snippet that says, "Number nine, number nine, number nine...
Edited by dpat