2014-15 NFL PottedPlant Memorial Playoff Predictions thread...

paul carruthers

Hello all--you know how this works; same rules as the regular season. Pick the winners for each playoff game. All are welcome to join, even if you didn't participate during the regular season....

Past Winners:

2012 - Black Dawg

2013 - Strider

Schedule:

Saturday, January 3rd:

Arizona at Carolina 4:20 PM

Baltimore at Pittsburgh 8:15 PM

Sunday, January 4th:

Cincinnati at Indianapolis 1:05 PM

Detroit at Dallas 4:40 PM

Good luck everyone....

Already having second thoughts...chalk picks never go 100% in the NFL. There is always an upset or two along the way. But who?

I am fairly confident in my Dallas (don't ask me why, given Romo's playoff no-go's) and Pittsburgh picks. That leaves the Arizona @ Carolina and Cincy @ Indy games. I may end up changing one or both of these picks. But peril abounds for such a course of action. For one thing, changing my pick to Cincinnati involves putting faith in Marvin Lewis to not be out-coached in a playoff game...a dicey proposition at best, even in the regular season. It also means counting on a ginger to lead his team to victory...ugh, that's verging on Lourdes-like faith.

Arizona though, may be the safer upset pick. I mean, I know the 7-9 Seahawks beat New Orleans in a playoff game several years ago, so Carolina's sub-.500 record shouldn't be a deterrent against a team playing its third-string quarterback. Still...any team that struggles to win six games in today's NFL has some serious issues. Much more serious than a team missing its starting quarterback. Arizona may be lacking quarterbacks, but their defense still is relatively intact. I did not watch the Carolina-Atlanta NFC South-clinching game, but the lopsided score was surprising to me...it suggests that Atlanta tanked or quit on their coach/themselves. From what I have seen of Arizona, they are made of sterner stuff than the Sadlanta Frauds. But they will be on the road...and west teams going to the east coast are at a disadvantage.

I am going to try and upset the apple cart

Arizona (way better team, just the QB question)

Baltimore (New England's worst nightmare)

Cincy (love this pick) (Indy is sooo overated)

Detroit (I know they lost a big part of their D, but they can score too)

All road warriors

Just curious...are any of you who have a team in the playoffs growing a "playoff beard"? Walter? Bong-Man?

I'll put you down as a "No" ebk. ;)

Thank you, as I was trying to figure out how to answer that question... :D

Just curious...are any of you who have a team in the playoffs growing a "playoff beard"? Walter? Bong-Man?

I'll put you down as a "No" ebk. ;)

No, hadn't thought of that! It would probably age me about 10 years - my facial hair is mostly gray.

I was just thinking about Arizona & how it would be kind of a shame if their season ended today. If they had a competent QB in there, I would like their chances to go all the way--but Ryan Lindley scares the crap out of me, which is why I wouldn't blink if the Panthers ramrodded the Cards today....

Arizona

Pittsburgh

Indy

Detroit Stompers(thanks to Bong-Man for the name)

I like the Big D, but I recall Dallas' history, plus the big thug is playing. Hope Romo proves me wrong.

I'm growing a mini beard for the playoffs, Strider, to compliment my goatee. I might try to salvage a lesser version of Elvis sideburns when I shave to go with my goatee for the hell of it..Mrs jabe would probably have a conniption fit...

Archived