Physical graffiti Remastered

appiantiqua

^^ I'm pretty sure he already is finished making all the remasters, and clearly stated no more live material after I.. As far as Physical Graffiti, Page likely didn't have anything else from the sessions worthy of release and/or there could be a track or two that wouldn't fit on one vinyl (40:29), which he certainly wouldn't want two vinyls for just a track or two. I'm not entirely sure how many minutes fits on a vinyl, but I have noticed a lot of albums are around 20 minutes per side. Plus I would think he will hold on to the best unheard track(s) for a reason to sale Coda more than just to complete the collection. As far as him releasing Everybody Makes It Through, he did the same with Jennings Farm Blues, and both were more than worthy of a official release IMO. I personally think the Physical Graffiti companion disc is pretty good, Bonzo shines a little brighter throughout it and it just sounds great.

Finally received my PG Super Deluxe Edition from Amazon today. The shipping box it came in was not securely closed with tape. In fact it was wide open when I received it. Luckily none of the contents were missing. Unluckily, when I opened the PG Super Deluxe box, one of the cardboard sleeves was damaged. So returned it was!

To those of you who have the PG Super Deluxe Edition, do all three of your lps come in a white sleeve? Only my companion LP was in a white sleeve while the original lps were without sleeves.

Finally received my PG Super Deluxe Edition from Amazon today. The shipping box it came in was not securely closed with tape. In fact it was wide open when I received it. Luckily none of the contents were missing. Unluckily, when I opened the PG Super Deluxe box, one of the cardboard sleeves was damaged. So returned it was!

To those of you who have the PG Super Deluxe Edition, do all three of your lps come in a white sleeve? Only my companion LP was in a white sleeve while the original lps were without sleeves.

Yeah, mine arrived today ( in Australia) from Amazon & only the companion LP had a white sleeve

Yeah only the companion had the lined white inner sleeve on mine too, I assume it was issued in 1975 this way and the lined white sleeves do not fit in perfectly into the paper graphic sleeves but it`ll do.

I am completely blown away with this PG reissue, vinyl, CD and hi-def all sound so good, but Presence is my personal fave so cannot wait for the next one! I hope June at the latest, I want them all but I almost don`t want this to end having new Zeps every few months!

And Rush reissues on 200g vinyl this year to boot. It`s aboot time, eh.

While the highs are clearer on these reissues, there is no low end, especially on Kashmir, Ten Years Gone, Sick Again, which are actually lower in level and punch than the 1990 remasters. I compared the new 24/96's to the 1990 remasters...someone dropped the ball on the low end on this PG reissue. Like others have said, the companion takes of Driving To Kashmir and Sick Again have much better low end. Compare any of these new reissue versions, ie. Kashmir, to their "Mothership" versions, and the Mothership tracks KILL them on punch, level, and dynamics, even though the reissues are brighter. This is fuckin' ZEPPELIN here and the final release of their most famous song Kashmir has ZERO low end punch...what happened to the dynamics on these reissues? IMTOD and Wanton Song, however are nice and punchy, better than the 1990 versions. Some also have the stereo reversed on them from previous releases, no biggie. TSRTS from HOTH reissue has nice punchy low end, but again way lower than Mothership. Some are better, some are lower in level. I'm using extremely accurate Neuman KH120A monitors fed with a high end Lavry DA-11 converter, plus a switchable sub...definitely some strange eq'ing decisions on the mastering end, surprising, since Page is a legendary studio pioneer and one of the greatest producers of all time, not some hack. Immigrant Song, GTBT new reissues also suffer from this lack of low end. I understand dynamics and understand the pitfalls of brickwalling, but actually REMOVING removing low end punch is severely shortchanging the formidable Jones/Bonham rhythm section. However, the music's so great and I still can't stop listening to it...

are they scratched? i swear it is the awful standalone cd versions ' packaging in a cardboard sleeve with no protection....i went through 3 LZ3's til I got a good one... was shocked the PG came out safely and mint and all are in jewel cases now Same with the 93 Grey Box- in jewel cases now...the 08 Definitive set was packaged perfectly Not a flaw on them. to be fair i see this more and more with all labels and bands as cd's wane...give me a jewel case with a good hub any day over digi's

as I recall right and left channels are right on 90 box but reversed in CSR. even with just car stereo and computer I am not sure comparing these to Mothership is a good thing it sounds bad even to my non audiophile ears..Latter/Early days sounds way better to me than Mothership as a best of collection

Have to disagree with Tea41. IMO the new releases are the best versions I have never heard. I had the cd's from the 80's and the 90's(still have them). I never did own Mothership as I already had all the music, but I thought it was a victim of the loudness wars.

Tea41 I am of the opinion that Mothership was too loud and brickwalled, of all the releases it is the biggest victim of the "loudness wars" as DRB70 said. The companies are catching on lately that many people do not believe that louder is better. I get that some people do like more "punch" but you can get the proper punch intended by JP and Co. by cranking the volume on your system if necessary (I personally find these new releases have plenty of punch, Moby Dick at loud volumes really sounds like Bonham is in the room with me and I feel the blowback from the bass drum) In my opinion the best is these new remasters.

On CD the Barry Diament 1980s and the George Marino (produced by Jimmy Page) ones from the 1990s (crop circles and on all have the same remastering from 1990-1991 with varying degrees of loudness) depends on which album or which track. I prefer the BD Zep II the Marino II is just too muddy but I prefer the Marino PG to the Diament PG, I know JP has stated he "hates" the BD versions from the 1980s but I find some of the Marinos have their share of problems. Only this new wave has addressed almost all the problems from the other 2 campaigns, for instance many songs had the fade out cut off, BIGLU had the right/left channels "flipped" from the original vinyl, now the proper sides have been restored, etc etc. And the fact that many new remasters (Zep and others) are no longer brickwalled and the volume has been rolled back is restoring my faith in humanity.

My personal preference is to not let equipment get in the way of the music, in other words I do not alter the EQ I let the artist and mastering dictate how it should sound. Some stereo equipment is harsh and bright (aka cold or sterile), some is round and warm and some is pretty neutral, I think my main system is neutral so I hear big differences between different artists and different mastering jobs. Everyone of course has their own opinion.

To me Zep sounds best on vinyl, but these new HD tracks are a very close 2nd.

I notice the new levels of the low end too. My stereo is set the same and that is noticeable, even compared to the other albums as well, yet the alt disc is similar to the others. Idk, i have to listen more to comment further. So far, i am thinking that the compact discs are a similar listening experience to phys graff on original vinyl, on an avg stereo...not that that is bad. Also makes it interesting considering modern recordings, todays market, where so much is bass and drum heavy, so much so, it changed the audio manufacturing market. It also makes the 90 version still useful for a different listen. I am thinking of that old quote from Page, where he says he produced the records to sound good on all audio equipment. I have to tweek the bass and treble on the new pg and see what it sounds like.

In regards to the low end on new physical graffiti, i had the bass back a couple notches and treble up a bit, after levelling them out the low end was restored with volume. I think the punch, thuds and pops are more relative to volume on the new version. Still, i noticed what is mentioned about the lows. After cranking it yesterday, the wide sound is there of this record and the way it was recorded. Now im noticing some of the roughness seems smoothed out, with the extra clarity. The keys in custard pie and night flight are clearer. There is a guitar accent/sound in imtod that i dont even remember hearing, drum tones on some of the fills, seem to be a bit different too here and there, from what im hearing. Amazing. Record sounds great loud, as it always did.

Thoroughly enjoyed listening to P.G. on vinyl. Instruments sound more separated (Brandy and Coke) and a little brighter especially on Custard Pie and mandolin on BCW.

On Everybody Makes It Through the bass drum is really prominent. (The lack of bass on the track helps) Bonzo gave his all on these P.G. Tracks.

The most interesting info to me is the companion recording information. It really sheds light on jimmy’s recording style.

Examples: IMTOD – The one guitar is going through two amps (one appears to be a VOX- probably the AC30) and is also going through the mixing board. (Says D.I. which means direct inject) One guitar with three different sounds which provides a lot of mixing options.

HOTH - The one BASS guitar is going through two amps and also through the mixing board. One bass with three different sounds.

Driving Through Kashmir – It appears that 12 string guitar was recorded on 2 of the 16 tracks but Mellotron was over-dubbed on one of the tracks. I don’t hear 12 string on it so it is either reduced in the mix or erased. I believe Jimmy mentioned during the P.G. release party at Olympic Studios that he played the 12 string as a guide for John Paul Jones to add the Arabic note fills on the mellotron.

Thanks for sharing! Always nice to hear Page's thoughts on Led Zeppelin, wish we could hear Plant's and Jones' opinions as well, but guess they don't really give a damn about the Zep days.

Physical Graffiti has REALLY got me hooked over the past few weeks. I've never really cared for the album, always loved the songs live, but never really cared for the album itself besides a few that never were performed live. I'm not sure if it's the companion disc, the time it's been since I've listened to PG (I didn't listen to it for months prior to release so it would make it more fun), the original box, or the superb sound quality, but I love the album! I agree with some others that Driving Through Kashmir is really awesome, took me a few listens but it does sound fantastic! Something different I started doing recently is taking a quick break between sides, I've never listened to vinyls but it does make the albums flow better when you listen to a side at a time then a quick break, even if you don't have to stop to switch sides...

Down By The Seaside has became one of my new favorite tunes, I've always liked it but feel like I'm hearing it for the first time again!

Plant not giving a damn about Zep days is not true He may not be invested as Jimmy but has said he is proud of what the band did and 'flattered' they still sell I think he even mentioned listening to some of the remasters. It is maybe the companion discs he is less enthused about as are many. JPJ as usual I have no idea where he is with all this.

Pant is embarrassed by the legacy of Zeppelin hates that it defines him as an artist.

Would have left after PG and especially after the accident.Lacked the courage at the time

Spent the last 30 yrs post Knebworth sniping from the sidelines. Just my opinion based on a

misspent life of Zep watching

No i think he is embarrassed by reunion pleas and high...too high expectations for such a tour. I think he'd make new music with Page gladly...NEW music. Lacked the courage? No I think his friend John Bonham helped get him geared up for some more Zep in 75 but sniping at resurrecting a 4 man band with only 3 members intact yeah he may be sniping at that. Things like losing a child -and a best friend tend to leave their mark on a particular era/time.

Pant is embarrassed by the legacy of Zeppelin hates that it defines him as an artist.

Would have left after PG and especially after the accident.Lacked the courage at the time

Spent the last 30 yrs post Knebworth sniping from the sidelines. Just my opinion based on a

misspent life of Zep watching

Well I think it's pretty safe to say you're opinion is wrong... for any number of reasons;

1) Robert Plant is certainly not embarrassed by his Zeppelin legacy and has stated innumerable times he's proud of what they accomplished, it just doesn't define him as an artist in the here-and-now like it does Jimmy Page, plus his refusal to reunite for a LZ tour is not indicative of him rejecting his past with the Zep, it's more to do with not indulging in misplaced empty nostalgia with no creative challenge behind it, aside from the fact Plant personally told Jason Bonham it would be too emotionally painful to tour again without his (Jason's) late father behind the kit.

2) Plant didn't leave after the Rhodes incident because he was still 110% committed to and excited to still be in the band, and had no reason to even consider leaving much less go through with it (neither of which he did). You say he lacked the courage to do so in 1975 when he returned to the band in 1978 after the traumatic loss of little Karac, that should tell you everything about Plant's commitment to the band in the face of unimaginable adversity... and make your statement look utterly foolish in the process.

3) Plant is obviously an opinionated and stubborn person who knows his own mind, that's reflected in his post-Zeppelin interviews that have sometimes rankled the fanbase, but I've yet to read of any interview where he outright disses the band, the other members, what they achieved, or his role in it. I'll concede there has been some barbed comments and no doubt some rough patches between the surviving members over the years, but the 2007 show and the Celebration Day media interviews showed (at least to me) three insanely talented musicians who have come through a lot and have deep respect and love for each other, despite differences in opinion.

All that is just MY opinion, but what do I know, I'm just a newbie... right?

Has anyone else had an issue with the sleeves from the Deluxe triple CD version? The first two discs both have the same sleeve (the one that features the image Apollo astronaut top right) - I assume this is a mistake and one of the discs should feature the other sleeve (with the body builder top right)?

Has anyone else had an issue with the sleeves from the Deluxe triple CD version? The first two discs both have the same sleeve (the one that features the image Apollo astronaut top right) - I assume this is a mistake and one of the discs should feature the other sleeve (with the body builder top right)?

Just checked mine, I have them both. Sorry. :(

Archived