Empress Valley new Osaka Box Set - Soundboard fragments for 9/28

pluribus

On July 25, 2016 at 7:56 AM, duckman said:

They do sound warmer but also have a tendency to be a bit more on the  dull side...like a blanket being thrown over it.

Not as dull as some of the january 73 SBs , but still.

Orlando is nice and powerful, Toronto Is OK but Hampton is a piece of work for me. Even in the mono incarnations, I just can't dig in. This said, in a couple of month a 50 or 100 minutes version of the first Osaka 71 show will pop up, believe me.

I think that old Revox reel to reel deck was capturing almost everything during the US and subsequent Japan tour.

Probably only godfather release I held onto was the Hampton '71 soundboard they released, High Heeled Sneakers or something. Sounded like a decent EQ job, brought out the high hat a tiny bit at least. Agree with that summary of '71 boards but damn is the band on fire in '71. Sheesh. Sounds almost like '72 but '71 I swear I don't think they could make a mistake if they tried. Could do no wrong in their early years, very impressive considering how good Jimmy was. The master, lord of the strings.

And hey, if its something as good as a '71 board, I don't blame them a bit for milking the cow. Hopefully this will lead to more boards appearing.

Oh yeah, baby!  And now we've got 1971-09-23 Budokan soundboard!

101. Introduction by Goro Itoi
102. Immigrant Song
103. Heartbreaker
104. Since I've Been Loving You
105. Black Dog
106. Dazed And Confused
107. Stairway To Heaven
108. Celebration Day
109. Bron-Y-Aur Stomp / That's The Way

201. Going To California
202. What Is And What Should Never Be
203. Moby Dick
204. Whole Lotta Love
205. Communication Breakdown

6 hours ago, cocksuckerblues said:

102. Immigrant Song
103. Heartbreaker
105. Black Dog
106. Dazed And Confused
107. Stairway To Heaven
108. Celebration Day

201. Going To California
203. Moby Dick
204. Whole Lotta Love

Holy shit! Where can I locate. PM please mate 

7 hours ago, cocksuckerblues said:

102. Immigrant Song
103. Heartbreaker
105. Black Dog
106. Dazed And Confused
107. Stairway To Heaven
108. Celebration Day

201. Going To California
203. Moby Dick
204. Whole Lotta Love

This date is not a soundboard..Only BD from 29/9 is a SBD so far.

The fragments to me kind of sound like something that someone with the full source might give out to prove they have it for a trade/sale, we have other incomplete SB's of course but they tend to be longer with more obvious reasons for them(tape length, recording focused on more improvised sections for the bands use, etc).

Has it ever really been confirmed what the famous source from the following night is? I'v heard both audience and SB mentioned. In some respects its broadly similar to the 71 SB's I spose in that it favours the bottom end up the vocals but not really identical, vocals are more in the background, doesn't seem as clear but it does have a more lively edge to it which I think more than makes up for those issues.

This new 9/28, just going by the samples sounds like a pretty typical (i.e. great if it's not too messed with and salted down) 1971 soundboard. 

The 9/29 recording sounds like a rough mix of the fabled Japanese record company multitrack recording.    

The new 9/28 could be from the fabled multitracks too with a decent mix.  Really exciting to be getting this new 9/28 recording!

That teaser of Black Dog sounds better than any other board tape from '71 to my ears. It tops Hampton, Toronto, Orlando - the instruments are better balanced and the drums are all clear, cymbals are bright, which isn't the case on the others. Wonderful! Hope more is released soon. The only annoying part is the excessive echo on Plants vocals. Great Pagey solo ! 

^ Agree, but not much better than Orlando '71 which is the best to my ears, or just as good. Gives me hope that the similarity between '71 boards implies the great quality other '71 boards could/will have. Besides Hampton '71, where the high hat and cymbals are lacking, they beat out '73 soundboards in sound and performance easily, even though it is nice jamming to a No Quarter etc. Honestly '71 BBC is my favorite from the year but not everyone seems to agree, and the raw sound bothers some. Orlando is about as good as it gets, when I heard this 9/28 board of Black Dog I straight up blooped myself.

9/29 stage recording or audience recording my a**, knew that the first time I listened to the 9/29 acoustic set with headphones and heard the stereo separation. :o:blink:B)

On July 31, 2016 at 1:12 AM, cocksuckerblues said:

102. Immigrant Song
103. Heartbreaker
105. Black Dog
106. Dazed And Confused
107. Stairway To Heaven
108. Celebration Day

201. Going To California
203. Moby Dick