Robert Plant & the Sensational Space Shifters - 2015 gigs/tour dates

Patrycja

Thank you, freshmint, for your personal, vibrant impressions of the show, and thank you, as well, marlam, for the beautiful photos! As I've said before, these first-hand accounts without the confines of editors and obligations are the best kind :)

^Great pictures marlem and great recap freshmint!

Gotta show Robert some love:-)

Robert Plant - Trampled Under Foot (Led Zeppelin song) - Brno 2015

Robert Plant: Fixin' To Die (Brno 23/07/2015)

^They kicked it on this IMHO:-)

Robert Plant - Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down - Brno 2015

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/robert-plant/2015/theatre-antique-de-fourviere-lyon-france-63f67667.html

robert broke out custard pie????? hahah glad to see him increasingly breaking out the rockin' songs from the zeppelin repetoire, i like the move by the big guy that he's getting back into a more rockin' state of mind.

kind of did the same thing with strange sensation in the time leading up to the zeppeling reunion....................................haha just trolling, i'm actually just glad that he continues to switch up and add songs and keep it fresh. the coolest part of all this, much like all his shows the last few years has been just the joy and comfort you can see the guy has with who he is and what he's doing. There's no more of that whole running from the zeppelin ghost thing......he just does what he does and does a splendid job of it. Highly refreshing.

Back from a wonderful night at Lyon. Unfortunately the cameracontrol was very severe, so I did not want to risk anything. But I'm sure that Mr. Plant will be happy to see at least some moments being documented, especially as there was an enthusiastic audience. The first photo shows the stage in the ancient, 2000 years old theatre, the column-fragments integrated. We sat on the warm stone seats, the moon shining, everyone happy and friendly.

You find the setlist in the post above by kenticus.

post-30773-0-31177500-1438268066_thumb.j

post-30773-0-91505800-1438268113_thumb.j

On youtube check this channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8RlR0SvKH-MlmIVf5CXuHg

and my short piece, just to have a souvenir :)

https://youtu.be/2dh8zeMewHs

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ledded!

Robert Plant - Rainbow - live Zenith Munich München 2015 08 11

FAV Colmar: les fans de Led Zeppelin et de Robert Plant 2015 8 12

Robert Plant " The Lemon Song " Colmar 12 août 2015 (02)

Thanks Deborah J

• 2 weeks later...

^^ Most welcome:-)

Jessica Hernandez and The Deltas to open for rescheduled Robert Plant date

Posted By Lee DeVito on Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 12:10 pm

mg_4311-copy.jpg?cb=1441060745

Back in June, former Led Zeppelin frontman Robert Plant had to bow out of his Sensational Space Shifters band gig at Meadow Brook Music Festival when he caught a nasty case of laryngitis. His originally billed opening act, alt-vets the Pixies, managed to set up a last-minute show at Saint Andrew's Hall.

On Thursday, September 10, Plant and The Sensational Space Shifters will play their rescheduled gig — though as indicated when the news of the reschedule broke, the Pixies will not perform. Instead, we received news today that Detroit's very own Jessica Hernandez & The Deltas will be taking over warm-up duties. It's another high-profile gig for Hernandez, who also shared a stage with Modest Mouse at Detroit's Mo Pop festival last month. (And it means somebody, somewhere, thinks the Deltas are at least as good as the Pixies.)

Tickets are still available at livenation.com or by calling 800-745-3000. (Tickets from the originally scheduled June 9 date will also be honored.)

http://www.metrotimes.com/Blogs/archives/2015/08/31/jessica-hernandez-and-the-deltas-to-open-for-rescheduled-robert-plant-date

I was at last night's show at Meadowbrook.  Sat 3rd row center.  Robert was in good spirits for what was a make-up show.  Opened with a strong and true "Trampled Under Foot".  Played nothing from his solo career except new music, and I quite enjoyed it.  "Rain Song" really shined, and he played quite a bit of "Dazed and Confused" and "You Shook Me", which he dedicated to Jack White.  He also mentioned his stay in Dearborn during the Grande Ballroom shows.  The Space Shifters were quite good.  First time I saw a show at Meadowbrook since Stills solo in '79....I had forgotten what an intimate outdoor setting it was.  Except for the $12 buck beer, I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

So the last leg of the North American tour began in Michigan on Sept. 10th. With some cool personal accounts and photos already posted, here's the set list, a review, and some more photos. Enjoy!

Set list from the show at the Meadowbrook Music Festival, Rochester Hills, MI (September 10, 2015):

6. (Willie Dixon cover)
  10. (traditional cover)
Encore:

Review: Robert Plant makes up for lost time at Meadow Brook

AR-150919931.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

Photo: Ken Settle

By Gary Graff, The Oakland Press

POSTED: 09/11/15, 12:30 AM EDT | UPDATED: 1 DAY AGO

ROCHESTER HILLS — Robert Plant may not want to be in Led Zeppelin anymore. But he sure doesn’t mind playing its songs.

A full half of Plant’s 14-song set with his aptly named Sensational Space Shifters band Thursday night, Sept. 10, at the Meadow Brook Music Festival — making up for a June 9 date postponed due to Plant’s vocal problems at the time — came from the Led Zeppelin catalog, along with a snippet of an eighth (“Dazed and Confused”) and several blues covers that are certainly part of Zep’s source material. But this was no mere tribute act; in the hands of the facile Shape Shifters, the arrangements incorporated flavors from the Mississippi Delta to the west of Africa, freshening and enlivening some very familiar material.

MORE PHOTOS in our Media Center

Given how iconic much of the Zep canon is, there was every chance Plant and company could fall on their collective faces in trying to reinvent these songs. That they were able to give them a fresh coat of sonic paint and trimming AND sell it to an exuberant Meadow Brook crowd was a testament to how well the group tapped into the elastic structures of the original versions and found just the right places to insert counterpoints, new rhythms, extended improvisations and sometimes exotic instrumentation without losing the integrity — or the recognizability — of the songs.

The opening “Trampled Under Foot,” for instance, blasted off at its usual gallop but shifted into a mid-song departure driven by guitarist Justin Adams’ Chic-like groove. “Black Dog” rode a slower, vibey gait that built into a lengthy jam blending Celtic and Arab stylings, while Plant crooned “The Rain Song” like Sinatra in his prime. A hard-hitting treatment of Howlin’ Wolf’s “No Place To Go” slid easily into “Dazed and Confused,” while “Whole Lotta Love” was framed by Willie Dixon’s “I Just Want To Make Love To You” and Bo Diddley’s “Mona.”

And Plant dedicated a psychedelic blues treatment of “The Lemon Song” to Detroit native Jack White.

Plant and the Shape Shifters dug into their 2014 studio set “Lullaby and ... The Ceaseless Roar,” too, making hey with originals such as the hypnotic “Turn It Up” and the trippy “Rainbow” as well as the troupe’s adaptations of the traditional “Little Maggie” and Lead Belly’s “Po’ Howard,” augmenting them with the feral tones of instruments such as kologo, ritti, bendirs and tehardant.

The 67-year-old Plant, more wise (but still potent) sage than Golden God these days, acknowledged the show’s postponement several times during the night, declaring early that “the Sensational Shape shifters have landed ... a little bit late” and later joking that it was an orthopedist who saw him in June and recommended he rest his voice. But he also expressed gratitude to the fans for coming back for the rescheduled date and noted that it was the first in the final leg of three years of touring for the Shape Shifters — though Thursday’s performance, ending with Led Zep’s “Rock and Roll” — left anyone there hoping that it won’t be long before we see them again.

Detroit’s Jessica Hernandez & the Deltas opened the evening with its own spirited and idiosyncratic set, rocking hard and seemingly unfazed by the occasion. Hernandez did, however, point out that she was playing her father’s old guitar, and that back in his youth he fantasized about opening for Led Zeppelin. “I beat ya to it,” she said with a huge smile as her parents cheered from their seats in the pavilion.

RELATED: The band behind Robert Plant aren’t just back up musicians

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/arts-and-entertainment/20150911/review-robert-plant-makes-up-for-lost-time-at-meadow-brook

Some more photos from the show:

Robert Plant and The Sensational Space Shifters performing at the Meadow Brook Music Festival in Rochester Hills, MI on September 10th 2015 Photo by Marc Nader

Robert Plant and The Sensational Space Shifters performing at the Meadow Brook Music Festival in Rochester Hills, MI on September 10th 2015 Photo by Marc Nader

Photos: Marc Nader

There's one more photo in the series above that I can't seem to add, but you can find them all here:

http://womc.cbslocal.com/photo-galleries/2015/09/11/robert-plant-performs-at-meadow-brook-music-festival/

And finally, some audience shots:

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/meadow-brook-music-festival-rochester-hills?select=xY37WM3fkAomA94WDZVv5g

Incomparable, many thanks

Ken said the pro photographers were only permitted to shoot from side of stage, not center, so it was difficult to get shots of Robert without the other musicians in the background during the time they were given, but as you can see he did manage to do so. Some of the Marc Nadar photos above also show it was somewhat of a challenging shoot.

Robert and the guys have a show coming up in Chicago on the 23rd of this month. I want to go, but I am not sure If i should. I mean, it IS Robert Plant after all, so the allure will always be there.  

I finally saw him for the first time ever in 2013, and it was awesome! 

Should I go? I'm torn at the moment. 

Has anyone seen him on his current tour this year? If so, how was it?

Robert and the guys have a show coming up in Chicago on the 23rd of this month. I want to go, but I am not sure If i should. I mean, it IS Robert Plant after all, so the allure will always be there.  

Just go, you never know how long it will be before he comes round again.

It's a cliche, but you'll regret what you don't do more than what you do (for the most part :) ). Go if you can, BlackDog71, you already know they sounds great live. It'll be interesting to be able to compare the shows.

Here's an excerpt from a piece about the festival, a short review of the first Lockn' Festival show (September 12, 2015):

photos by Jessica Giovannetti, words by Andrew Sacher

Lockn Fest

The first full set of the day I saw, and maybe the best thing I've seen this weekend so far, was Robert Plant & the Sensational Space Shifters. The band includes keyboardist John Baggott, who's worked with Massive Attack and Portishead, and bassist Billy Fuller who works with Portishead's Geoff Barrow in BEAK>, which makes a whole lot of sense considering how modern the Sensational Space Shifters sound. Even when they played an old blues song that Plant said dated back to the '30s, they threw in futuristic synths that made it sound unlike any particular era. All of the Led Zeppelin songs they played were revamped to fit into their set too. They simplified the "Black Dog" riff, but made it thicker and just as fun. They played up the trippy elements of "Dazed and Confused" with airy atmospheres and lengthy solos. Plant told a story of the inspiration Zeppelin took from the blues, and then played "Whole Lotta Love" as a medley between Willie Dixon/Muddy Waters' "I Just Want to Make Love to You" and Bo Diddley's "Who Do You Love?".

As much as there's a desire to hear those songs exactly the way you remember them, the new arrangements really did breathe new life into them. And when you're seeing songs that classic mixed with new material, it's pretty common to get bored during the new ones. But the stuff the Sensational Space Shifters played off last year's lullaby and... The Ceaseless Roar was genuinely great. Plant's working with a super interesting band and that undoubtedly helps, but he's also still a total star on stage, he's funny, and his voice is in killer shape. Plant does it again at Lockn' tonight, this time as the headliner.

Lockn Fest

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2015/09/lockn_fest_day.html

Go, man, go. I mean GO! Really...just GO GO GO! There should be no question, no doubt whatsoever about going. If it was the Band of Joy tour or even the Raising Sand tour, maybe I would say if you saw them once, you didn't need to see them again. But the Sensational Space Shifters are the best band Robert has played with apart from Led Zeppelin. It's a no-brainer...you should see Robert and the SSS as many times as you can.

Go, man, go. I mean GO! Really...just GO GO GO! There should be no question, no doubt whatsoever about going. If it was the Band of Joy tour or even the Raising Sand tour, maybe I would say if you saw them once, you didn't need to see them again. But the Sensational Space Shifters are the best band Robert has played with apart from Led Zeppelin. It's a no-brainer...you should see Robert and the SSS as many times as you can.

You make a great point. I saw them with Plant two years ago, and it was amazing! I think I'll be going now! 

Archived