Robert Plant & the Sensational Space Shifters - 2015 gigs/tour dates

Patrycja

• Administrators

"Day I got to photograph “down to earth” Led Zeppelin front man"

NEW Milton photographer Lorraine Poole had a chance to get up close and personal with Led Zeppelin front man Robert Plant. The rock god was in action at an intimate charity gig in Cumbria last weekend.

The event was in aid of The Charlie and Kathleen Dunnery Children’s Fund (CKDCF), with the sole aim of raising funds for children’s health, wellness and educational needs in and around Egremont in Cumbria. Having previously worked in the charity sector, Lorraine was invited to take photos of the show and got to meet the legendary musician.

“He was very lovely and down to earth. No airs or graces and very funny, as you can imagine he has lots of anecdotes and stories to tell. It was really lovely to meet him and so good of him to do this gig in a small, market hall,” says Lorraine, 52.

According to Lorraine, the 67-year old rocker played several Led Zeppelin tracks including Going to California and Rock and Roll. Plant shot to fame as lead vocalist of Led Zeppelin in the late 60's, as well as carving out a successful solo career.

His biggest solo success to date was with American bluegrass superstar Alison Krauss and their Grammy award winning album, Raising Sand. Leaving school in his mid-teens, Plant developed a passion for blues music.

Led Zeppelin were formed over 45 years ago after guitarist Jimmy Page went on the hunt for a singer. After getting together, the band's self-titled album broke into the charts and is seen by many as igniting the heavy metal genre. They went on to sell more than 200 million albums worldwide, and the band's work remains hugely popular.

One of their best-known songs is the epic ballad Stairway to Heaven, which draws on a cocktail of influences including folk, blues and rock, which has topped various "greatest song" lists.

For more information about Lorraine Poole’s photography please visit www.theshedgallery.com/exhibitor/lorraine-poole

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/13929581.Day_I_got_to_photograph____down_to_earth____Led_Zeppelin_front_man/

^ Cheers, annie :) And yes, that theatre space is indeed beautiful. 

If only that were true, BlackDog71, alas, it wasn't the case in venue, proximity, or equipment. I was at the Toronto show, and while my seat was right in the middle for a near perfect view (there's always a taller person in the row in front of you, just a balance of the universe thing), it was just behind the general standing section, and my 'equipment', as it were, was my cell phone. Here are some that were at least not that blurry:

12036713_10153253487792017_7644243839303

12043094_10153253487872017_1279145373513

12004938_10153253487952017_7519839062145

12003902_10153253488017017_5597927320500

12027519_10153253488222017_4075732986663

I was actually a bit closer than the second and bottom photos indicate...

Speaking of the Toronto show, here it is in it's near entirety!:

Some more from Capitol Theatre:

photos by Greg Cristman

Robert Plant and the Sensational Shape Shifters

Following their appearances at Lockn FestRobert Plant & the Sensational Space Shifters headed north for a few NYC-area shows, including Port Chester's The Capital Theatre on September 17 and Hammerstein Ballroom on September 18. Pictures from the Cap are in this post. Plant and the band, which includes a couple members who also play in Massive Attack, Portishead and BEAK>, offer up very modern updates of Zeppelin classics, old blues tunes and songs from their album lullaby and... The Ceaseless Roar. Can you play the hits and offer up something new and exciting, too? Robert Plant can.

Sensational Space Shifters' tour wraps up this week with shows in Indianapolis on Tuesday (9/22) and Chicago on Wednesday (9/23). Setlist and more pics from the Cap (including a few of opener Sean Rowe), below...

---

Sean Rowe

SETLIST: Robert Plant & Sensational Space Shifters @ The Capitol Theatre 9/17/2015
Poor Howard
Tin Pan Valley
Trampled Under Foot (Led Zeppelin song)
Turn It Up
Black Dog (Led Zeppelin song)
Let the Four Winds Blow
The Rain Song (Led Zeppelin song)
No Place to Go / Dazed and Confused
Little Maggie ([traditional] cover)
Crawling King Snake
The Lemon Song (Led Zeppelin song)
I Just Want to Make Love to You / Whole Lotta Love / Mona / Whole Lotta Love - reprise

Encore:
Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down / In My Time of Dying
Rock and Roll

http://omnifeed.com/article/www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2015/09/robert_plant_th_2.html

The set list here is slightly different: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/robert-plant/2015/capitol-theatre-port-chester-ny-23f4944b.html

Fantastic stuff! Thanks! 

The Chicago show was fantastic!

An interview with Liam mainly about gear and set ups as well as his musical journey, with some bits about playing with Robert and the SSS. I assume it's recent, though there's no date given as to when it was done. Some interesting bits about tunings, too.  I'm keen for some insight into why certain instruments and sounds are chosen for songs. Sometimes the fit is perfect; other times (though rarely), so distracting as to leave one mystified. Anyway, onwards...

INTERVIEW: Skin Tyson, Robert Plant and Cast guitarist

by Daniel Gumble about 17 hours ago

Skin Tyson, guitarist with the likes of Cast and various line-ups with Robert Plant, speaks to Daniel Gumble about gear, music shops, contemporary guitarists and experimental tuning…

INTERVIEW: Skin Tyson, Robert Plant and Cast guitarist

Daniel Gumble: Tell us about you background as a musician.

Skin Tyson: “I started playing guitar around six years of age, then played in a band of school friends from my early teens and was then asked to join a covers band with some guys who worked with my Dad, who was a Plasterer by trade. I then joined Pyramid dream, a Liverpool band who wrote and recorded their own material around 1986 -7. Then I joined Cast in 1993, whom I still play with. I also played with Robert Plant and the Strange Sensation and today still with Robert in the Sensational Space Shifters!”

DG: Did you ever have any formal music education?

ST: “I had some recorder lessons as a kid, but I always learned the tune by ear, as I do on the guitar, so I never really learned to read music from the score. Although I did go to music collage for three months to do a light music and jazz course.”

DG: Growing up in Liverpool, how important were musical instrument shops to young musicians? Did you have places you regularly went to to try out gear and connect with other musicians?

ST: “My local shop was called Frets old and New and was run by a really cool guy called Dave Bresnen who would let me play guitar all day in his shop when I should have been at school! And he also sold me my first Gibson J45, which I paid for on the never never until Cast signed their first record deal and then I proudly paid the balance off in full and walked out with the guitar! It’s known as Snappy today, because the neck has snapped off a few times!”

DG: How vital is it that kids have bricks and mortar MI stores to visit?

ST: “I think it is very important to have a music store that you can walk into, hear the guitars or different instruments and actually play them and get to see other people playing at close quarters and say to yourself ‘I can do that too!’”

DG: Who were your biggest musical influences?

ST: “As a kid I grew up listening to Bert Weedon in my grandad’s house and then discovered my uncle’s albums, such as The Who, and they became a big influence on me at that time. Then I moved on to Pink Floyd and Zep, CSNY. Later in the 80s, I listened a lot to The Church and Matt Johnson. I also listened to a lot of acoustic players, such as the late Mike Hedges and Adrian Legg.”

DG: Which contemporary guitarists stand out to you in 2015, if any?

ST: “There are many great contemporary guitarists out there of many styles and varying skills, so there are too many to mention, but one guitarist who I met a few times on tour last year was Annie [Clark] from St Vincent. She had a great at ease style of singing and playing and also had a very modern sound and solo’d away in her own style.”

DG: Tell us about the gear that you’ve used throughout your career. How has your personal set-up evolved and what equipment have you come to rely on most?

ST: “My live gear set up, as always, is a Hi Watt 50 custom heads and 4x12 cabs. My gear runs through my rack system, Gloria, which controls various pedals and rack effects. I also have a smaller rig, which consists of a Fender Super 22 and a Hi Watt custom combo 50 and I run them in stereo through a TC G-System with a selection of drive pedals. Having Gloria has helped a lot over the years, as I have been able to pull out various pedals at any time to change to the albums or music we are touring at that time.

“I use quite a few Gibson acoustics live and also play electric Fenders and Gibsons. My favourite guitars are my 70s Les Paul Signature and Tele custom and Strat.”

DG: What is it you like about this particular setup?

ST: “This gear has plenty of head room for all the guitars I use, especially the acoustics, as I run them through the Hi Watts, too. I also have two Stone Deaf PDFs, which are at the end of my effect chain going straight into the amps and allow me to run all the gear with a bit of dirty edge to the sound. These are my most-used pedals, as I leave them on most of the time!”

DG: How did you come to work with Robert Plant?

ST: “I First met Robert and Jimi when Cast were recording their second album in Rack studios in London and they were recording there, too. I was staying in the studio on my own and got up early one morning and Robert walked in and said to me “do you have any nice guitars we could borrow!””

DG: How did it feel to team up with such an iconic figure? Did playing with him help you develop you musicianship further?

ST: “When I got the call to go and have a Jam with the guys I was a bit shocked, but as my mate said to me when we used to jam together, “Robert Plant will get you in his band one day don’t worry!” And he did!

“It has helped my playing immensely, as all the practice I did playing with different tunings could now be freely applied to the music we were playing in the band. You’re always encouraged by Robert to play how you feel it yourself! It’s also like a musical history lesson every day, so you can learn something new all the time!”

DG: Do you like to experiment with different tunings? I understand Robert Plant is into open D and G tunings?

ST: “I like playing in a lot of different tunings but my favourite is in Low C! Robert plays in Daddad a lot, but tunes his guitar to his own ear or flavour of that moment.”

http://www.mi-pro.co.uk/index.php/news/read/interview-skin-tyson-robert-plant-and-cast-guitarist/020543

Looks like Robert will be performing a second night at the Celtic Connections Festival as it has been extended an extra day to accommodate the demand for another Bert Jansch tribute! Proceeds will go to the Bert Jansch Foundation.

Celtic Connections unveils more acts

a 2nd date for Robert Plant, Bernard Butler, Jacqui McShee, John Peel remembered and more

published: Yesterday, 05:05pm

Sensational Space Shifters ft Robert Plant

Celtic Connections which happens in numerous venues around Glasgow has expanded by a day and will now run from Thursday 14th until Monday 1st February 2016.

The reason for the extra day is another Bert Inspired: A Concert for Bert Jansch has been added following the first concert selling out in four days. The line-up on Monday 1 February in the Main Auditorium of the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall includes Bernard Butler, Jacqui McShee, Robert Plant accompanied by Mike Piggott, and Ryley Walker. Also added to the bill on Thursday 28th January is a concert celebrating a classic night at the 1998 Meltdown Festival curated by John Peel, happening at Oran Mor and featuring The Nectarine No9, The Secret Goldfish, The Leopards, and special guests who will present Bent Meltdown (Redux) in tribute to Peel.

Other new additions to the line-up are Honeyblood, Matthew E. White, Mairearad Green and Anna Massie, Alasdair Fraser & Natalie Haas, Robyn Stapleton & Claire Hastings, George Duff, Kevin Macleod, John Martin, Bixiga 70, Jyotsna Srikanth, Dr Dhananjay Daithanker, Greg Trooper, The James Brothers, Addictive TV, Broken Back, Bella Hardy, Jimmie Macgregor, Annie Grace, Lauren MacColl, Tim Edey, Bella and the Bear, Teen Canteen, Have Mercy Las Vegas, Findlay Napier, Dean Owens, and Maya Youssef.

Celtic Connections 2016 has an adventurous programme embracing Celtic music's connections with musical genres and cultural traditions from across the globe. The festival brings more than 2,500 artists to Glasgow to perform to more than 100,000 concertgoers at 300 events in over 20 venues. Plus the nightly Celtic Connections Festival Club, and Late Night Sessions at The Concert Hall.

For an easy-to-read breakdown of the acts confirmed, click here.

For more detailed information, and to book tickets for any event, please see the Celtic Connections website.

Ticket prices vary from FREE to around £35.

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/15/151111f.shtml

This from the festival website:

Bert Inspired: A Concert for Bert Jansch

1 February 2016  8:00PM

Glasgow Royal Concert Hall

1e449da1-9f11-4187-aecb-a548011c42f4     4a8807b3-8971-4346-ac05-a548011c42f4

Named by Neil Young as his favourite acoustic player, the late Scottish guitarist, singer and songwriter Bert Jansch exerted a huge and enduring influence across British music and beyond, as highlighted in the line-up for this star-studded tribute concert, back in his Glasgow birthplace.

Ex-Led Zep rock god Robert Plant, well-known for his blues and folk proclivities, calls his debt to Jansch "enormous and longstanding", while former Suede guitarist Bernard Butler and Ben Watt, latter-day champions of Jansch's work, are now passing the torch to myriad younger imitators. Ryley Walker and Jansch's fellow Pentangle member, lead singer Jacqui McShee complete the main line-up.   

With more special guests to be announced, the show is in aid of the Bert Jansch Foundation, which works to support emerging acoustic musicians. 

Please note: This concert takes place in the Main Auditorium of Glasgow Royal Concert Hall.

http://www.celticconnections.com/events/Pages/event.aspx?ev=2b07aceb-62b0-4e6c-8da7-a548011c42f4

• 2 weeks later...

Bonnaroo's feeling festive and is giving fans the chance to see the most memorable shows from this year's festival, including Robert and the SSS performance. You can watch it online from Nov. 25 - 30:

A Very Bonnaroo Thanksgiving 2015 To Premiere Soon

Fans will soon be able to watch an online special, A Very Bonnaroo Thanksgiving, featuring highlights from this year's Bonnaroo. The special will only be available online between November 25 and 30 and then "never again" according to Bonnaroo organizers.

bonnarootgivingJB.jpg

The second annual A Very Bonnaroo Thanksgiving comes in conjunction with a pre- sale for tickets to Bonnaroo '16 (which will take place on The Farm in Manchester, Tennessee June 9 - 12) scheduled for Friday, November 27 at noon ET via Bonnaroo.com. Look for the special to include performances from Robert Plant And The Sensational Space Shifters, Alabama Shakes, Hozier, Courtney Barnett, Earth Wind And Fire, Brandi Carlile, AWOLNATION, Twenty One Pilots, Belle & Sebastian, Tears For Fears, D'Angelo And The Vanguard and Mumford & Sons featuring My Morning Jacket, Hozier, Dawes, Ed Helms and Danny Clinch.

Watch a trailer for A Very Bonnaroo Thanksgiving

[Published on: 11/23/15]

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/127138/A-Very-Bonnaroo-Thanksgiving-2015-To-Premiere-Soon

• 2 weeks later...

I did not want to start a new topic for this, but good for Robert!

Stars Robert Plant, David Gilmour, Yoko Ono, Thom Yorke & More Sign Climate Change Petition

Among dozens of celebrities and stars coming together to help prevent climate change, Pink Floyd's David Gilmour, Led Zeppelin's Robert PlantYoko OnoRadiohead's Thom YorkeDavid Bowie and more have signed an open letter crafted by environmental sustainability non-for-profit Julie's Bicycle. In hopes to combat the alarming changes in climate, the letter was penned to the leadership in charge of the impending Paris Climate Conference.

"We are deeply concerned that our global economic and industrial systems are accelerating rates of extinction, desertification and soil depletion, degrading ecosystems, acidifying and littering our rivers and oceans, and resulting in a relentless rise in greenhouse gas emissions driving irreversible climate change," the letter explained to executive secretary Christiana Figueres and President of the United Nations Conference on Climate Change, Laurent Fabius, according to Rolling Stone. "In short, we are overwhelming the planet's life support systems."

The petition aims to make a handful of changes such including "financial mechanisms to stimulate extensive infrastructure for poorer nations to support them in achieving their reduction commitments while permitting

equitable development" and "an ambitious commitment to climate action, starting now, that will limit future global warming to below 2.0°C (3.6 °F) relative to pre-industrial levels." Furthermore, the hefty celebrity endorsed petition calls for a legal, yet powerful strategy, which allows strong global climate governance.

Coldplay, BjorkPhil SelwayFugazi's Ian MacKayeMy Morning JacketSting, DidoJack JohnsonTune-YardsMerrill GarbusJethro Tull's Ian AndersonAndrew Bird and Courtney Barnett and many more artists and creative visionaries have found themselves signing the petition brought forth by Julie's Bicycle,Gigwise notes. Paul McCartney recently penned his own letter in hopes of sparking Meat Free Mondays around the world in an attempt to help save the environment.

November 30 will see the official launch of the Paris Climate Conference until it wraps up on December 11. Yorke, Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist Flea and Patti Smith will perform the Pathway to Paris gig on December 4 at Le Trianon theater.

http://www.musictimes.com/articles/56363/20151130/robert-plant-david-gilmour-yoko-ono-thom-yorke-sign-climate-petition-un.htm

^ Thanks, Deb :) Since no one's posted about these other charity initiatives, I'll do the honours, though if these add up, they'll deserve their own thread. I agree, Deb, a bit awkward for them to be tagged along here, but maybe people will be more prone to check out a music rather than charity thread and then these can still be seen as they deserve to:

Grain Audio Signed by Robert Plant

BIDDING CLOSES: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 3:02:00 PM EST

Current bid: $450

Lot_page  

Take home this Grain Audio portable speaker autographed by Robert Plant! It's a one-of-a-kind collectible, and a high-end audio device you can use every day.

The Packable Wireless System from Grain Audio re-imagines the portable Bluetooth® wireless speaker into an object of desire and clear, authentic sounds. The walnut enclosure, combined with Waves MaxxAudioTM suite ensures studio quality sound out of a super portable speaker. With eight hours of battery life, you can rock out without having to worry about charging.

Speaker will come with a certificate of authenticity from HeadCount. 

All proceeds from this auction will support HeadCount.org. HeadCount is a non-profit organization that uses the power of music to foster community and democratic participation.

Donated by: HeadCount

Initiatives like this are close to my heart. Full marks to Robert for his patronage.

Robert Plant backs Wolverhampton's The Way Youth Zone

PUBLISHED: December 11, 2015 3:42 pm LAST UPDATED: December 11, 2015 3:42 pm

Rock legend Robert Plant has revealed he is the latest big name to back Wolverhampton’s Youth Zone.

Robert Plant - BBC Electric Proms 2010

Robert Plant is becoming a patron of Wolverhampton Youth Zone The Way

The West Bromwich born singer and former Led Zeppelin frontman is supporting the £6 million initiative as a patron.

The School Street facility – called The Way – will open its doors in January with a host of sporting and cultural activities for young people aged eight to 19, and up to 25 for those with disabilities.

The Way Youth Zone in School Street, Wolverhampton

The Way Youth Zone is in School Street, Wolverhampton

Plant, a lifelong Wolves supporter, will boost the community investment already pledged by business leaders, city institutions, local firms and philanthropists.

He said: “The Way is a remarkable and unique venture and a fantastic facility for young people in Wolverhampton.

“If you’re interested in sport or music and art or just want somewhere to go, something to do or someone to talk to – this is where it’s at. Young people in Wolverhampton are set to be the first in the Midlands to benefit from this remarkable opportunity!”

General manager of The Way Alice Davey said: “We are thrilled and delighted to count on Robert as one of our patrons.”

The Way

The Way will include an array of activities, including a climbing wall

Activities at The Way will include football, basketball, martial arts, fitness and dance, arts and crafts, media and music, enterprise, wellbeing and self-improvement.

The state-of-the-art facility boasts a high spec music room, a 3G pitch, enterprise media suite, climbing wall, multi-use four court sports hall, cafe, dance studio, gym, cooking area, general recreation area and much more.

For further details visit www.thewayyouthzone.org or follow The Way on Twitter at @thewayyouthzone

More on this story:

Wolverhampton Youth Zone is an independent charity, established by The Morgan Foundation, the charity OnSide Youth Zones and Wolverhampton City Council.

OnSide Youth Zones is a charity set up in 2008 to improve young people’s futures by building and supporting places for young people to go, with positive things to do, staffed by people seven days a week.

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2015/12/11/robert-plant-backs-wolverhamptons-the-way-youth-zone/

p.s. Once you copy and paste an article's title and leave its formatting, then go back and try to add another line of writing, you can't get rid of the original formatting which is why the top line is in caps. I could have put it at the bottom of the article, but left it so that hopefully the example makes things clear in case my explanation doesn't.

^ Cheers, annie :) And yes, that theatre space is indeed beautiful. 

If only that were true, BlackDog71, alas, it wasn't the case in venue, proximity, or equipment. I was at the Toronto show, and while my seat was right in the middle for a near perfect view (there's always a taller person in the row in front of you, just a balance of the universe thing), it was just behind the general standing section, and my 'equipment', as it were, was my cell phone. Here are some that were at least not that blurry:

12036713_10153253487792017_7644243839303

12043094_10153253487872017_1279145373513

12004938_10153253487952017_7519839062145

12003902_10153253488017017_5597927320500

12027519_10153253488222017_4075732986663

I was actually a bit closer than the second and bottom photos indicate...

Speaking of the Toronto show, here it is in it's near entirety!:

Some more from Capitol Theatre:

photos by Greg Cristman

Following their appearances at Lockn FestRobert Plant & the Sensational Space Shifters headed north for a few NYC-area shows, including Port Chester's The Capital Theatre on September 17 and Hammerstein Ballroom on September 18. Pictures from the Cap are in this post. Plant and the band, which includes a couple members who also play in Massive Attack, Portishead and BEAK>, offer up very modern updates of Zeppelin classics, old blues tunes and songs from their album lullaby and... The Ceaseless Roar. Can you play the hits and offer up something new and exciting, too? Robert Plant can.

Sensational Space Shifters' tour wraps up this week with shows in Indianapolis on Tuesday (9/22) and Chicago on Wednesday (9/23). Setlist and more pics from the Cap (including a few of opener Sean Rowe), below...

---

Sean Rowe

SETLIST: Robert Plant & Sensational Space Shifters @ The Capitol Theatre 9/17/2015
Poor Howard
Tin Pan Valley
Trampled Under Foot (Led Zeppelin song)
Turn It Up
Black Dog (Led Zeppelin song)
Let the Four Winds Blow
The Rain Song (Led Zeppelin song)
No Place to Go / Dazed and Confused
Little Maggie ([traditional] cover)
Crawling King Snake
The Lemon Song (Led Zeppelin song)
I Just Want to Make Love to You / Whole Lotta Love / Mona / Whole Lotta Love - reprise

Encore:
Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down / In My Time of Dying
Rock and Roll

http://omnifeed.com/article/www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2015/09/robert_plant_th_2.html

The set list here is slightly different: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/robert-plant/2015/capitol-theatre-port-chester-ny-23f4944b.html

I hate to repost both my own posts and old ones, but all of a sudden these two pics of mine from the Toronto show don't appear anymore while they're still working on my FB which is where I originally posted them. Just pointing out something wonky, one of several weird changes I've experienced on the board recently:

12004886_10153253487782017_6129199408424  12003902_10153253488017017_5597927320500

• 1 month later...

*sigh* Please excuse me again. I reposted the above two photos because they went missing from the original response, and now the rest of my photos have mysteriously disappeared. Again. Computers are convenient, but they are frustrating when strange things happen. I just wish things would work as they should. Perhaps third time's the charm. In the interest of having a complete response that makes sense, here's the rest of the lot (these are the first three):

56a5b6c9cf637_RPSSS15-9-2015b.thumb.jpg.

56a5b6eb74aef_RPSSS15-9-2015e.thumb.jpg.

56a5b70031c02_RPSSS15-9-2015f.thumb.jpg.

56a5b9fb5eb72_RPSSS15-9-2015c.thumb.jpg.

(I think this was the original one rather than the left one in the post above...)

Archived