June 9 - Rochester Hills, MI @ Meadowbrook Music Festival **
June 10 - Chicago, IL @ FirstMerit Bank Pavilion @ Northerly Island **
June 12 - Memphis, TN @ Mud Island Amphitheatre
June 12 - June 14 - Manchester, TN @ Bonnaroo Festival
June 15 - Raleigh, NC @ Koka Booth Amphitheater **
June 17 - Philadelphia, PA @ Mann Center **

* With JD McPherson
** With Pixies

Edit: Each ticket to a non-festival show includes a download of the former Led Zeppelin singer's most recent solo album, last year's space-folk-leaning Lullaby and...the Ceaseless Roar.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/robert-plant-to-bring-sensational-space-shifters-on-the-road-20150316

(via @ledzepnews - handy, that)

Some reflections about the album, a beautiful description by NPR, and more info about how to get tickets from Robert's site:

3__large.jpg

mmm hmmm :D

Kicking off Sunday, May 24, at the Sasquatch! Festival in George, WA, Robert and the Sensational Space Shifters are playing a string of North American summer dates. This includes his return to Bonnaroo the weekend of June 12, and finishing off the run in Philadelphia at The Mann Center. The complete itinerary is below.

Tickets will go on sale Friday 20 March at 10am ET via robertplant.com. Each ticket to the non-festival shows will include a CD of the band’s latest album, lullaby and…The Ceaseless Roar. The Pixies will be opening five of these shows; JD McPherson four of them.

Citi cardmembers will have access to presale tickets for the Santa Barbara and Los Angeles, CA performances from Wednesday, March 18 at 10am PT through Thursday, March 19 at 10pm PT. For more information, please visit citiprivatepass.com.

The tour is in support of Robert Plant’s lullaby and… The Ceaseless Roar, which was named one of the top 50 albums of the year by NPR, which said, “At 66, the singer is still a majestic rock presence, at peace with the legacy of his hard-rock-defining band Led Zeppelin, while remaining relentlessly creative in his solo work. But on his 10th solo album, Plant does pause by those waters to consider the aesthetic, emotional and spiritual currents that have shaped his illustrious life. He finds himself, characteristically, not saddened but renewed… Not one of these songs sounds precisely like its source; that's the genius of this album. It lovingly layers elements in ways that mirror memory, creating new constructs from floating shards of the musical past.”

Robert described lullaby and…The Ceaseless Roar as, “a celebratory record, powerful, gritty, African, Trance meets Zep.” He continued, “The whole impetus of my life as a singer has to be driven by a good brotherhood. I am very lucky to work with The Sensational Space Shifters. They come from exciting areas of contemporary music…”

p.s. I'm thrilled that a Toronto show has been added - elsewhere is here!

I suppose Vegas is close, but unless something changes (like one of my friends talking me into it) I won't be travelling across state lines to see Robert Plant. I forgot how long it has been since he has been here in Phoenix. Would love to see him come back here.

Nice Patrycja:-)

ROBERT PLANT. TEATRO CAUPOLICAN LOLLAPALOOZA CHILE 2015

^There are a few more videos on you tube for this one as well:-)

Hi Deb, thanks for posting these! The Mexico gig seemed to be a bit pitchy at times (at least in that video - by the way, Venue: Foro Sol, Mexico City, Mexico, thanks for the reminder) but the two Chile concerts were fine and fierce and sounded great throughout. Robert's voice has vitality and control and the SSS take turns shining in solos and soaring together (love the beginning of BIGLY in Chile March 15, with Skin Tyson's fiery guitar!)

You get a sense of the spirit in the band, true close and confident, that even makes the Zep songs sound like their own. I love the originals, of course, but it's always a joy to be surprised with what they weave into the tunes. lullaby songs also have a force live, as if this is their right place. Album versions of songs are an interesting capture of what a band wants to convey, but live the songs find new breadth. And what great camaraderie between the Space Shifters and the Chilean audiences. You could tell they were energizing each other; what a cool vibe.

On the one hand, I really sympathize with fans who are not close to any shows listed, and feel like I've rubbed a genie lamp with the Toronto show being included; on the other, the new schedule seems grueling. Maybe they're used to it and will indeed fill more dates with gigs, but maybe the April break is necessary...perhaps for working out new tunes, I imagine and hope.

On to the next stop - get ready, Paraguay!

Robert dusting off the many cobwebs to resurrect Watching You from Manic Nirvana is giving me some powerful 1990 flashbacks when that was his opening song on that concert tour. Boy, was it powerful in person back then, especially as the opener.

Sadly, watching the rest of the concert from Chile, nothing new outside of Watching You (minus new Lullaby songs, of course).

Robert looks and sounds great during these Latin American shows. Powerful in voice for sure!

And yes - the setlist remains (nearly all) the same.

However the inclusion of "Watching You" from Manic Nirvana was awesome and very powerful!

It's about time Robert!! Such a great song!

Don't know why more new songs aren't included for this new Tour set.

PLEASE, PLEASE -

Drop "Black Dog" from the setlist this year!! OMG - How Many More Times do we need to hear

that song!!!!

^ Thanks, Reggie. That one seems to have a life all on its own. Quite the lure...

EDIT: Here are a few songs from the Argentina show. Robert's voice sounds so good and strong and the band is tight as ever. Great enthusiasm from the huge crowd.

Ramble On!!! :faint1:

Robert Plant and St. Vincent Live in Rio March 24th

By Chesney Hearst on March 23, 2015

By Chesney Hearst, Senior Contributing Reporter

RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL – Before the Lollapalooza music festival returns to São Paulo on March 28th and 29th, nine international musicians and groups from the festival’s lineup will make their way to Rio de Janeiro to play live this week. British legend Robert Plant and legend in the making, American singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist St. Vincent will start off with a bang on Tuesday, March 24th at Citibank Hall.

robertplant-300x200.jpg

Robert Plant will perform with The Sensational Space Shifters at Rio de Janeiro’s Citibank Hall on Tuesday, March 24th, press image.

Robert Plant is considered by many to be one of the best vocalists in rock music history. Well known and beloved around the world for his time from 1968 to 1980 as frontman and lyricist for the band Led Zeppelin, Plant has since then created ten solo studio albums. His most recent album, Lullaby and the Ceaseless Roar, was released in September of last year.

“This record is really a milestone in my career. I feel much stronger with it,” Plant told O Globo during a recent interview in February. “Lullaby reflects the kind of environment I try to create on stage. But, in the recordings, we have taken a step forward. We create all this intensity, these large loops. It turned into a bit of a trance project.”

No stranger to Rio stages, Plant was last in the Marvellous City with his supporting band The Sensational Space Shifters for a 2012 show at the HSBC Arena.

Opening for Robert Plant and The Sensational Space Shifters on Tuesday night will be the indie-rock darling, Annie Clark, better known as St. Vincent.

Born in Oklahoma and raised in Texas, Clark began playing guitar at age twelve. She was introduced to the sounds of jazz greats like Miles Davis and Coltrane, by her uncle and aunt, the American jazz duo Tuck and Patti, for whom she also worked as a roadie during her teenage years.

Her musical influences grew to include an eclectic variety of genres and musicians including Steely Dan, Brain Eno, Robert Fripp, Pearl Jam and Pink Floyd, among many others. Clark began her own career as a member of the choral ensemble, The Polyphonic Spree and she also spent time touring with musician Sufjan Stevens.

st.vincent-300x300.jpg

St. Vincent recently won the Grammy award for Best Alternative Album, press image.

Reportedly choosing the stage name St. Vincent from the lyrics of the Nick Cave song, “There She Goes, My Beautiful World”, Clark released her debut album, Marry Me in 2007.

Combining fuzzy guitar riffs, narrative wit and offbeat pop sensibilities, she steadily achieved critical acclaim and mainstream success. In February of this year, she won the Grammy for Best Alternative Album for her fourth release entitled, St. Vincent.

Earlier in 2012 Clark collaborated with Talking Heads founder David Byrne to release the well received Love This Giant album. She has also worked with other a including Andrew Bird, Bon Iver, and The National.

Known for explosive shows with long sets Clark has toured extensively, performed at numerous festivals, played at the New York Fashion Week, on the show Saturday Night Live, and served as band leader for the Late Night With Seth Meyers house band The 8G Band.

Additional artists from the Lollapalooza lineup performing in Rio this week include Smashing Pumpkins and Young the Giant on Wednesday, March 25th at Citibank Hall; Skrillex, Major Lazer, and Dillon Francis at Estação Leopoldina on Thursday, March 26th; and Foster the People and Bastille at Citibank Hall on Friday, March 27th. Check back with The Rio Times during the upcoming week for more information about each show.

What: Robert Plant & The Sensational Space Shifters and St. Vincent
When: Tuesday, March 24th, 9:20 PM
Where: Citibank Hall, Av. Ayrton Senna 3000, Barra da Tijuca
Entrance: R$125-R$550

http://riotimesonline.com/brazil-news/rio-entertainment/robert-plant-and-st-vincent-live-in-rio-march-24/#

BRASIL, FIRST SHOW!

Robert Plant - Lemon Song - Citibank Hall - RJ - 24/03/2015

A bit slower tempo than the one with Jack White, though JW's seemed a touch more raw and funky. Still, bassist Billy really rips it (in a good way). Good groove and full sound with a large band, slightly changed musically and lyrically which the purists will have their shorts in knots over - oh well! Love it :D

What great synergy they have. I'm really looking forward to some new material!

Speaking of new, anyone who visits RP's site knows there have been different background photos covered by the different sections. Now you can see the whole photo when in 'home', which is a welcome change. I don't know whether this front page photo will alternate, but the one on there now I don't quite have words for.... It's black and white, so already I'm undone, but let's just say it strikes just the right chord and resonates deeply. Love it.

Archived