Robert Plant & the Sensational Space Shifters - 2015 gigs/tour dates

Patrycja

OH YEAH!!! That was fucking incredible! "I got my voice back" - he sure did. Robert sounded great - power and nuance and range and the band were in fine form, hitting their stride, indeed. The rest seems to have given them all some juice. The crowd was revved up and responsive, too.

^^ It sounded like all the Zep songs were reworked as they've been doing throughout, kenticus. I love the way they include everyone and blend their musical styles. There's always a nod to history while melding elements of where they're expanding. The various soundscapes they're incorporating are very interesting to hear. He obviously can hit the notes, but clearly wants to do the songs with these guys, in these ways. The best part, besides showing the highest standard of musicianship and fun - is the fact that who they are now, purists be damned, really shines through.

The musical mutineers were on the prowl, taking no prisoners. RRAAAAWWWRR!!!

p.s. Nice review, kenticus :)

I think this is an important review, response, especially to live music thats happening now and not a record.

I think this is an important review, response, especially to live music thats happening now and not a record.

Thanks, middlezep :)

So glad to hear you've all loved the shows. It heightens expectations and anticipation, but bodes well for future shows. Can't wait!

The band looks and sounds so in sync and hitting their stride. I watched the Bonnaroo show again on YouTube (live stream was good but had the inevitable snags) and was so impressed with Dave and Justin strutting their stuff on "Fixin' to Die" and Robert's measured one moment, fiery the next singing in the WLL medley... Lawd have mercy...

Even though the gigs too often get referred to as solely a 'Robert Plant concert', I also really like that they pick songs which put each member's talents on display. It's a respectful fairness for all their contributions, and makes for such a joyful and soulful vibe in the music.

Here's the Bonnaroo set list:

1. The Wanton Song
  2. Turn It Up
  3. Black Dog
  4. Rainbow
  5. Going to California
  6. No Place to Go / Dazed and Confused
  7. The Lemon Song
  8. Little Maggie
  9. Fixin' to Die
    (Bukka White cover)
  10. Crossroads /I Just Wanna Make Love to You / You Need Love/Whole Lotta Love/Who Do You Love/Whole Lotta Love
  11. Rock and Roll

And now on to some reviews and photo highlights of the Bonnaroo show (14-6-2015)!

Bonnaroo 2015: The 17 Best Things We Saw

By: Dan Weiss // June 15, 2015

Robert Plant and the Sensational Space Shifters

At 66, Robert Plant’s mic stand choreography is better than yours. Seeing him perform, and I mean perform, “The Wanton Song” out of the gate in 2015 is a treat not afforded every greatest-singer-alive-or-dead and him slamming the stand down like a gauntlet with a shriek at the end put a boldface punctuation mark on it. What you wouldn’t guess is that the rockabilly Afrobeat (yes, sticking with that description) of his solo “Turn It Up” was just as strong following it. Then Tennessee was treated to “Black Dog” as a half-time hip-hop beat; the crowd went with it, even sang the “Dreams of you all in my head” part.

Plant’s “Oooooooh” still cracks with youth, or at least fish oil supplements, not to mention he’s funny as shit, like when he introduced Howlin’ Wolf’s “Killin’ Floor” as “a song that was taken from the archives of the elves on the side of the misty mountains” (the guy still loves his hobbits!). He loves playing with his extraordinary voice, too, moaning various calls for the crowd to respond to as “Going to California” jangled to a close, ad-libbing comments like “Shondells! That’s the Shondells!” and “Come on, Sesame Street!” It couldn’t all be Zeppelin (“This is a song called ‘Little Maggie’; She hates it”) but Plant’s set moved shockingly and titanically even when it wasn’t. Which is not to say that a planet-splitting “Whole Lotta Love”/ “Who Do You Love” medley couldn’t make Bo Diddley rise from the dead. Best old-dog/new-tricks moment: a West African ritti (kind of like a one-string violin) solo made “Dazed and Confused” sound like the Pogues.

Read more reviews of other acts here: http://www.spin.com/2015/06/bonnaroo-2015-the-17-best-things-we-saw/

Bonnaroo 2015, Day Four: Spoon, Robert Plant + More

by Michael Mehalick June 15, 2015 2:52 PM

Legendary Status

Wrapping up Bonnaroo 2015, fans were treated to back-to-back performances from two of music’s greatest living legends.

First was Robert Plant with his Sensational Soul Shifters who reworked Zeppelin classics to fit their roots-led vibe, while churning out some really interesting, spacey constructions. Plant told stories of his times in the American South with great recollection of individual small towns and the musicians he met along the way who inspired him. We stood next to a man who kept shouting that this was the best day of his life; we didn’t sense any irony in those statements whatsoever.

bonplant-630x420.jpg

Jason Merritt, Getty Images

The rest of the Bonnaroo highlights are here: http://alwaysmountaintime.com/kfmu/music-news/bonnaroo-2015-day-four-spoon-robert-plant-more/

Robert Plant, Reggie Watts rock final day of Bonnaroo

Staff, MTSU Seigenthaler News Service12:12 p.m. CDT June 15, 2015

Leading up to festival-closing headliner Billy Joel, Bonnaroo 2015’s final day and evening featured acts both young and old, from New Orleans folk to local rock heroes to a late-night TV bandleader-comedian to certifiable rock legend.

Robert Plant

Robert Plant brought his latest band, the Sensational Space Shifters, to Bonnaroo’s Which Stage Sunday night, and as per usual he kept references to his former legendary band to a minimum.

The 66-year-old former Led Zeppelin frontman delivered a mix of originals, such as the group’s single “Rainbow,” and blues covers from the likes of Howlin’ Wolf and Bukka White. Plant kept songs from the Led Zep catalog to a trickle, spacing iconic songs such as “Black Dog,” Whole Lotta Love” and “Going to California” throughout the set list.

Plant kept his stage banter to a minimum too, only introducing songs that included “Little Maggie,” a tune inspired by the Appalachian Mountains, and Zeppelin’s “The Lemon Song.” He credited Nashville resident Jack White for reminding him of the song after White started covering it live, most famously during his 2014 Bonnaroo set list.

Even though Plant was getting over a case of laryngitis, his vocals were more than up to par, hitting high notes without hesitation and giving the audience of primarily 20-somethings a chance to see a rock legend do what he does best — perform.

— John Connor Coulston,@jccoulston

http://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/2015/06/15/robert-plant-reggie-watts-rock-final-day-bonnaroo/71254998/

It's interesting to read various impressions of the same show. Overwhelmingly positive throughout, but I'm curious about what people recollect or are most moved by...

Some photos from the Bonnaroo show!

635699654112312372-Robert-Plant.jpg

635699654113092397-Robert-Plant2.jpg

635699654150689602-Robert-Plant3.jpg

Photos: Gregory French / MTSU Seigenthaler News Service

http://www.tennessean.com/picture-gallery/entertainment/music/bonnaroo/2015/06/14/sunday-at-bonnaroo/71226140/

Bonnaroo 2015 photos: Experience the music festival in 80 images

Matt Miller

June 15, 2015

63d0a11cb74f691a790f6a7067000172-XL.jpg

477193918-XL.jpg:faint1:

477193926-XL.jpg

477193930-XL.jpg

I assume Matt Miller took these photos as no credit is given, although some of them are very similar to some Getty Images I'll post in a while. Wait till you see them! RAAWRR!

http://www.heyreverb.com/blog/2015/06/15/bonnaroo-2015-photos-experience-the-music-festival-in-80-images/104761/#1

But a day later, they rocked the hearts of the good people at the Koka Booth Amphitheatre in Cary, NC (15-6-2015). First, the set list:

• The Wanton Song

• Turn It Up

• Black Dog

• Arbaden

• Rainbow

• Spoonful

(Willie Dixon cover)

• The Thrill Is Gone

(Roy Hawkins cover)

• Trampled Under Foot

• No Place to Go / Dazed and Confused

(Howlin' Wolf / Jake Holmes & Led Zeppelin)

• Little Maggie

• The Lemon Song

• Fixin' to Die

(Bukka White cover)

13. I Just Want to Make Love to You / Whole Lotta Love / Who Do You Love? / Whole Lotta Love

Encore:

14. Rock and Roll

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/robert-plant/2015/koka-booth-amphitheatre-cary-nc-3c921db.html

And now for the show itself!:

http://youtu.be/10wFOKmGJ4U?list=PLHplD2phwIvAo_V52K-fWr7bXODCvneqC

Some Plantations before "Black Dog," and a plea to put the phones down, yet without them, people who weren't there for whatever reason don't get to have a taste. Different challenges in concerts nowadays for both performers and audiences.

By the way, you can check out the Pixies set here, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjlBm99H9_w&list=PLHplD2phwIvAo_V52K-fWr7bXODCvneqC&index=1

• 2 weeks later...

It's too bad that the YouTube video of the band's complete set at Bonnaroo is no longer available. People can still look up individual songs, so there's that option...

Going back a bit, I found a few more cool photos from the Mountain Jam show at Hunter Mountain, Hunter, NY (5-6-2015):

IMG_2018.jpg

IMG_2023-1024x683.jpg

IMG_2024-1024x683.jpg

IMG_2025-1024x683.jpg

IMG_2055-1024x683.jpg

Photos: Alex Schettino

There are photo reviews of several other acts as well: http://pop-break.com/2015/06/25/mountain-jam-2015-the-black-keys-robert-plant-govt-mule-more/

Enjoy the show, ledded1. Hope you post some photos. Cheers as always, annie :) Wish I could go to the Friday show - first of the European leg of their tour!

And now for the final summer show at The Mann Center, Philadelphia, PA (17-6-2015):

SET LIST

1. The Wanton Song

2. Turn It Up
3. Black Dog
4. Rainbow
5. Spoonful
(Willie Dixon cover)
6. The Rain Song
7. Trampled Under Foot
8. No Place to Go / Dazed and Confused
9. Little Maggie
10. The Lemon Song
11. Crawling King Snake
(Big Joe Williams cover)
12. Hoochie Coochie Man / Whole Lotta Love / Mona
(Willie Dixon / Led Zeppelin / Bo Diddley)

Encore:

13. Rock and Roll

It's no secret where they are, annie. I just thought it might be nice to have a record of Robert's tour with the Shifters all in one place for people to peruse through and enjoy :)

Some reviews of the Philly show, make of them what you will.

BEING THERE: Robert Plant @ The Man Center

Thursday, June 18, 2015 11:52pm

ROBERT_PLANT_by_DAN_Long-e1434685745460.

Photo: Dan Long

Flash back to 1972 in South Plainfield, NJ. I’m three years old. My earliest memories are of my father and I pulling the pots and pans out of the cupboard and setting them up like rack toms on a Ludwig kit because he and the drunk and stoned partygoers who were at my house every weekend were ripe and ready to watch me do my thing: the outro of Led Zeppelin’s “Rock & Roll.” Bonham’s mini-solo/big finish was in my hands now. Wooden spoons in hand, I blasted out the fills with such vigor – in my mind the spoons had flames shooting out of the ends and I nailed every hit perfectly. In the eyes of the bikers, truckers, and ne’er do wells at the party, I was a total spazz that had them guffawing until tears streamed down their cheeks as they cheered me on for an encore.

Shortly thereafter, around age five, as my fragile brain started to make more connections and Zeppelin became absolute magic to me. Nothing had ever taken my mind and soul and transported both into another dimension like this music. Listening to “The Battle Of Evermore,” the Eagle animal spirit flies me over the evergreen forests through the rising mist at 60mph. “Misty Mountain Hop” still flashes visions of denim-clad, boot-wearing cool guys hanging out in the sunshine smoking that stuff that smelled like burning rope. “Going To California” lit a fire in my heart that felt like it would lead me to my wife someday. Zeppelin made me want to be a magician when I grew up. Not the “pull bunnies out of a hat” magician, but one who can make things happen through the focus of my own will. Pretty fuckin’ cool shit for a five year old.

I’ve never lost my love for Zep over the years, except for the letdown of Jimmy’s drunken string plunking at Live Aid, and Robert’s pained overreaching, despite his diminished vocal range. His solo career has always been admirable, whether his “Big Log” days or The Honeydrippers or the Grammy-winning Raising Sand with Alison Krauss — all those stylistic changes always seemed to fit him like a glove.

Fast forward to last night’s Zeppelin-rich set. I had been telling two of my School of Rock friends (who are incredibly talented female vocalists) right before the show, to not be too disappointed with Robert’s voice if he tries to go for the upper register. I couldn’t have been more wrong as they opened with “Wanton Song” and he nailed every note. The crowd went nuts for all things Zep with “Black Dog,” “The Rain Song” (my wife and I had our first dance on our wedding day to this), “Trampled Under Foot,” “The Lemon Song.” Note that most of these gems start out in straight up Zep style, but midway through get broken down and deconstructed into World Music versions barely resembling their former album version selves. That’s the Plant style, which got dangerously “Dave Mathews-y” during a few tunes (yeesh!). When they jumped into a sped up “double-time boogie woogie” jam during “Whole Lotta Love” (or was it “Rock & Roll”?), I thought I was gonna blow chunks. It sounded like Zeppelin on Broadway. Nevertheless, Plant and company kept up a great energy level and the crowd responded in kind. A sustained roar pf applause brought them back quickly for a well-deserved encore. Every face I saw had a huge grin on it, mine included. It was that kind of gig. – DAN LONG

http://www.phawker.com/2015/06/18/being-there-robert-plant-the-mann/

A few other photos by Dan Long, very good considering they were taken from the soundboard area:

1538753_967688869962209_527176512679214411402671_967688856628877_855535259781845

11209515_967688889962207_86263073667576811406897_967688993295530_897727087635278

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.967688689962227.1073741977.162196953844742&type=3

REVIEW: Robert Plant still shifting space at Philly's Mann Center, but Zeppelin impact remains

John J. Moser THE MORNING CALL

June 19, 2015, 9:20am

Robert Plant calls his latest band the Sensational Space Shifters, but it’s the singer himself who has shifted virtually constantly since the demise of Led Zeppelin 35 years ago.

Plant’s journey continued Wednesday with a concert at The Mann Center in Philadelphia that was his last stop on his current tour.

Ironically, eight of the 14 songs he played in a too-short 75-minute set were Zeppelin tunes, though most were reworked and rearranged to various measures to include his apparent continuing interest in Middle Eastern and Moroccan influences.

That’s not a complaint: The biggest reason Plant remains popular after all these years is the enduring, and rightfully so, love of Led Zep’s catalog.

post-7547-0-13066300-1436485591_thumb.jp post-7547-0-54476500-1436485606_thumb.jp

Photos: Brian Hineline

And despite nearing his 67th birthday and reported recent laryngitis that postponed two shows this month, Plant displayed the characteristics of that voice that made Rolling Stone magazine rank him the greatest lead singer of all time.

Plant opened the show with Zeppelin’s “The Wanton Song” from 1975’s “Physical Graffiti.” It was largely unchanged, though, like all of the Zeppelin songs Wednesday, came up short musically when compared with the original – despite the capabilities of Plant’s six-man band.

Plant, though, let loose with an early signature wail, then closed the song with a longer one – as if to prove he still could.

“Turn It Up” was the first of four songs he played from his latest album, “Lullaby … and the Ceaseless Roar,” and the snakey-beat, rumbling rocker could easily have been a Zeppelin song.

The country-folk of Led Zeppelin III was present in “Little Maggie,” the new disc’s lead track, though Plant spoke of the song’s history winding through Appalachian history to possible British beginnings (a connection that brought skitters of complaints from the nearly-full crowd). But as the Space Shifters played it, it took on an almost Celtic-EDM vibe.

The very good new song “Rainbow” also was akin to Zep’s gentler songs.

Those latter two songs also showed how much of Plant’s voice has remained intact, as it conveyed as much meaning with its tone and texture as it did with the lyrics. He even scat-sang on the former tune, though in an almost doo-wop style, and was richer and fuller on the latter.

Looking more mature, with his hair long and marcelled but graying and a wearing a goatee beard, Plant was decidedly less wild on stage than in his Zeppelin days, often seeming professorial – sometimes even a bit stilted -- as he spoke about the music.

The Zeppelin connection also was obvious in the several classic blues songs sprinkled throughout the set. “Spoonful,” a song with legacy through Willie Dixon and Howlin’ Wolf, not only was Zeppelin-esque, but also ended with that Middle Eastern vibe. Bubba White’s “Fixin’ to Die” was rumbling rock blues ala Zeppelin.

Howlin’ Wolf’s “No Place to Go” moved almost seamlessly into “Dazed and Confused,” still melding the blues and rock as Zeppelin did so well.

“Can you feel it?” Plant asked the crowd.

As if to prove the point about Zeppelin’s continued popularity, it was the group’s songs that got the biggest responses of the night. “The Rain Song,” also largely unchanged, brought huge cheers, and Plant sang it sweetly sympathetic – the connection still definitely there.

“Thank you very much,” he told the crowd. “I haven’t done that one for 40 years.”

“Black Dog” was wholly rearranged – a dramatically slower groove that later in the song busted out into an African chant vibe, with Plant playing hand drum. The crowd nonetheless still enthusiastically sang along on the “Oh-oh, oh-oh” chorus (egged on by Plant’s entre, “And all the people sang …”)

“This is the classic rock you’ve been all dying for,” Plant said. “Just like a cocktail. Just give them a little twist.”

“Trampled Under Foot,” another Physical Graffiti song, also was drastically changed – slower and slighter, sometimes almost disco, sometimes spacey waves. Not as great as when Zeppelin played it, but still a great song, and Plant’s voice still rocked, even if in a slightly more restrained range.

Plant wailed on Zeppelin’s “The Lemon Song,” then closed the main part of the set with a medley of the blues standard “I Just Want to Make Love to You” and Zeppelin’s “Whole Lotta Love” that was blues rock at its best.

And the encore was a five-minute version of Zeppelin’s “Rock and Roll” that had the crowd excitedly and uninhibitedly singing along, as if telling Plant, "touch me."

At the end of the main set, Plant teased the crowd with a simple statement: “Anybody remember laughter?” It was the same verbiage Plant uses in the concert movie “The Song Remains the Same” when Led Zeppelin plays “Stairway to Heaven.”

Plant didn’t play that song Wednesday, but it begged the question: With Plant’s talent so much still intact, and his shape apparently shifting back to so much Led Zeppelin, why not do those songs as Zeppelin again?

Opening act The Pixies ran through a set of 17 songs in just under an hour that had some very good highlights – “Here Comes Your Man” was nicely accessible with its layered vocals and “Greens and Blues” with its melodic structure.

But much of the band’s set also was esoteric, especially the opening pairing of “Ed is Dead,” on which singer Black Francis honked an hooted, and “Nimrod’s Son,” with its chaotic talk-singing over drums and droning guitar.

By far the set’s best was a late offering of “U-Mass,” on which the structure gave the song much more power, and Francis’ vocals were delightfully sardonic.

http://www.mcall.com/entertainment/lehigh-valley-music/mc-review-robert-plant-still-shifting-space-at-philly-mann-center-but-zeppelins-impact-remains-20150619-column.html

He describes in detail how the Zep songs have been transformed with the Shifters but asks why not just do the Zep songs with Zeppelin? The answer is in his own review :rolleyes:

REVIEW: Robert Plant Puts A New Spin On Old Classics In Philadelphia

June 18, 2015 9:14 AM

robert_plant_1.jpg?w=620&h=349&crop=1

Photo: Jim Dyson/Getty Images

If Robert Plant was sick, he sure didn’t look like it, act like it, and most importantly, sound like it.

After the rock legend and former Led Zeppelin frontman postponed several shows last week due to illness (Plant will make up those shows in September), the singer (who was joined by the Pixies) confessed to the Mann Center audience on Wednesday night that he didn’t initially think he would be well enough to perform in Philadelphia, which was technically the last date of his current tour. Nonetheless, Plant assured the crowd that he was indeed ready.

And ready he was.

After American rock band the Pixies opened the show, Plant, backed by his excellent six-member band the Sensational Space Shifters, opened the set with a powerful no-holds-barred version of Zeppelin’s “The Wanton Song,” followed by “Turn It Up,” a track from his recent solo album “Lullaby and… The Ceaseless Roar” The tone of the show was set during the Zeppelin classic “Black Dog,” which incorporated a West African feel provided by blues musician and Juldeh Camara, who was truly the evening’s wildcard. Several rearranged/reworked versions of Zeppelin songs ranging from “The Lemon Song” and “Whole Lotta Love” were performed in a unique but recognizable matter during the 90-minute set.

In between songs, the affable singer discussed everything from the origins of the blues, to the lack of exciting music from his native England prior to the arrival of the Beatles. As a result, Plant often searched for inspiration across the Atlantic (even referencing music from South Street), prior to singing a soulful cover of Willie Dixon’s “Spoonful.” Ever the humorist, Plant jokingly remarked after performing “The Rain Song” (from Zeppelin’s 1973 ‘Houses of the Holy’ album) that he hadn’t played the song for 40 years. Before the crowd could draw a laugh, Plant launched into “Trampled Under Foot,” which single-handedly proved that the soon-to-be 67-year old still possesses a vocal range to be reckoned with.

RELATED: Why Robert Plant Should Not Reunite With Led Zeppelin

More than anything, Plant’s 90-minute set was an all encompassing journey featuring Led Zeppelin songs (“Dazed and Confused”), his solo work (“Rainbow”), as well as his deep appreciation for Blues music (“Crawling King Snake”). For a man once reluctant to even perform songs by his former band after their 1980 breakup, Plant seems completely comfortable with his past and has fully embraced the present.

By the time Plant closed the night with “Rock and Roll,” the audience clearly provided what the singer requested earlier in the evening: energy and smiles.

Sick or not, Robert Plant and his music tend to have that effect on people.

Setlist

The Wanton Song

Turn It Up

Black Dog

Rainbow

Spoonful

The Rain Song

Trampled Under Foot

No Place to Go/ Dazed and Confused

Little Maggie

The Lemon Song

Crawling King Snake/ Whole Lotta Love/ Mona

Encore:

Rock and Roll

By Joe Vallee

http://wogl.cbslocal.com/2015/06/18/review-robert-plant-puts-a-new-spin-on-old-classics-in-philadelphia/

lol couldn't they splurge on a photo from the actual show?

So, what were you doing when you were ten? They're adorable, but don't let the cuteness fool you. They're here to win over the crowd with their music. Best of luck to them. I hope their set is a great success!

Believe it or not, these kids will be opening up for Robert Plant
Plant chose the young Y Storm band of Wales to warm up the crowd for him

BY MICHELLE GESLANI ON JULY 10, 2015, 3:08PM

robert-plant-y-storm-kids-children-band-

Photo via Twitter

Robert Plant is set to headline England’s Forrest Live festival on Saturday. One would think that a similarly legendary act would be slated to warm up the crowd, but instead the former Led Zeppelin frontman has chosen an elementary school band to open for him.

As NME points out, the singer has enlisted the help of Y Storm, a group comprised of students from Ysgol OM Edwards, a school in Wales. The children are between the ages of 10 and 11 and will perform original material — written by themselves, mind you — in both English and Welsh. If you were wondering how Plant came across such a youthful troupe, two of the band members are the children of Liam Tyson, a guitarist who plays in Plant’s The Sensational Space Shifters outfit.

“He [Plant] knows they’ve been in a band, he’s seen the progression over the years,” Tyson explained to the BBC. He added, “He champions all things Welsh, so it was the next step to do. For their age they’d give anybody a run,” he added. “They’re on the gig because they’ve done well over the years and they’ve progressed and progressed and they’ve kept progressing.”

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/07/believe-it-or-not-these-kids-will-be-opening-up-for-robert-plant/

Archived