2015 Cricket World Cup

Reggie29

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like The Sixers are struggling Jules?

wow what a close finish though!

they should have won if he hadn't fumbled that last return!

oh well :)

Which is bigger in the motherland, Rugby or Cricket?

well, aussie rules is also very popular, and don't forget soccer, too.

errrrr tough one that man. Rugby Union in the south, Rugby League up north. Cricket nationwide. Personally I take Cricket. Overall I would say Cricket

yeah, cricket for me :)

Man - stick to Baseball ;)

Sure thing, CP...step up to the batter's box and I'll whistle some chin music by ya'! :P

Which is bigger in the motherland, Rugby or Cricket?

Is the Motherland you refer to Australia or England? It seems to this outsider that Rugby is more passionately embraced in Australia, while Cricket is more popular in England.

Why can't I find these cricket matches on American television...why doesn't ESPN broadcast them here instead of endless repeats of "First Take" and "His and Hers"?

Sure thing, CP...step up to the batter's box and I'll whistle some chin music by ya'! :P

Is the Motherland you refer to Australia or England? It seems to this outsider that Rugby is more passionately embraced in Australia, while Cricket is more popular in England.

Why can't I find these cricket matches on American television...why doesn't ESPN broadcast them here instead of endless repeats of "First Take" and "His and Hers"?

AFL, NRL and RU are winter sports, whilst Cricket and Footbal (Soccer), are summer sports.

Depending on where you live here, winter sports vary in popularity, whereas Cricket is the number one summer and truly national sport although A League Soccer is growing.

As I understand it, in England Cricket and to a lesser extent Rugby League and Union are played in the north, which are mostly played by elite "public" school students who often participate in County Cricket matches with various teams throughout England and Wales.

CP can confirm if this is true or not.

The Australian Cricket fielding coach is Mike Young who was a USA minor Baseball player / coach from Chicago.

They could be shown on FOX or Sky Sports but I'm not certain about that.

As they say, check your local guides.

AFL, NRL and RU are winter sports, whilst Cricket and Footbal (Soccer), are summer sports.

Depending on where you live here, winter sports vary in popularity, whereas Cricket is the number one summer and truly national sport although A League Soccer is growing.

As I understand it, in England Cricket and to a lesser extent Rugby League and Union are played in the north, which are mostly played by elite "public" school students who often participate in County Cricket matches with various teams throughout England and Wales.

CP can confirm if this is true or not.

The Australian Cricket fielding coach is Mike Young who was a USA minor Baseball player / coach from Chicago.

They could be shown on FOX or Sky Sports but I'm not certain about that.

As they say, check your local guides.

G'day Reggie. To confirm:

Rugby League is almost exclusively a Northern English Sport: Wigan, St Helens, Leeds etc. It was always a professional sport ( unlike Union until the last few years).

Rugby Union is played in schools - generally in "top end" schools. You tend to find the south has a stronghold in Union. Especially the South West. Bath,Gloucester, Bristol etc. Scotland also - especially the "Borders"

Rugby Union was an amateur status sport, associated with professionals, until relatively recently. Now it is seriously professional with salaries to match

Cricket is played by all. But sadly like all outdoor activities it is becoming less popular. Mainly due to the technology culture which renders many children to hours of gawping at a screen, playing video games or tapping away on their mobiles. The lack of coverage on free to air TV has also put cricket out of the public eye. But that's not to say that Cricket is not a crowd puller. Unfortunately the cost of going to a Test match - especially The Ashes, is ridiculously expensive and tickets are, like everything else, as rare as hen's teeth unless you are a ticket tout or prepared to pay over the odds.

The Big Bash in Australia has been a huge success and really enjoyable. We do have 20/20 cricket here but it's a bit reserved and is only covered on Satellite TV. With The Ashes here this summer let's hope the weather is good and the contest is as exciting as 2005

England of course! My Grandmother would hear nothing of it, if I wasn't proud of the English blood in my family

I honestly prefer Test Cricket, but nevertheless, I am really looking forward to the cricket world cup! :D

It is very obvious that Australia is going to win it all! B)

India, the so called 'defending champions' don't have a chance in hell, what with all the hammering they have been facing on the world stage!

After Australia, the next team I'll be rooting for is South Africa! :)

Just 11 days to go and I cannot wait!! :D

I honestly prefer Test Cricket, but nevertheless, I am really looking forward to the cricket world cup! :D

It is very obvious that Australia is going to win it all! B)

India, the so called 'defending champions' don't have a chance in hell, what with all the hammering they have been facing on the world stage!

After Australia, the next team I'll be rooting for is South Africa! :)

Just 11 days to go and I cannot wait!! :D

Why aren't you going for New Zealand?????

• 2 weeks later...

On the eve of the World Cup all I want to say is...

Éirinn go brách!!!

Yeah...like Ireland has a snowball's chance in hell. :bagoverhead:

Hmmmm, so as I peruse over the opening matches who do I want to win?

Well, I definitely want New Zealand and India to win their opening matches. England vs. Australia I am a little torn...I would like to see the English do well but I think Australia will prevail.

As for Ireland, I shall muster all the positive forces I can in hopes they can make a good showing.

post-1470-0-22716300-1423798121_thumb.jp

They had a giant puppet of a batsman at the official opening - pretty cool

world-cup-opening-ceremony-7.jpg

05_Opening-Ceremony-ahead-of-the-ICC-201

I didn't know Daft Punk played Cricket?

So the big day arrives. Could be a wet day at the MCG for the old firm clash, so maybe a point each. I fancy a sub continent team to win the tourney. Sri Lanka or India. We'll do well to qualify for the next stage

I didn't know Daft Punk played Cricket?

So the big day arrives. Could be a wet day at the MCG for the old firm clash, so maybe a point each. I fancy a sub continent team to win the tourney. Sri Lanka or India. We'll do well to qualify for the next stage

Do the Frogs play cricket?

Nice to see you following this world cup, Strider! Are you actually watching the matches?

As much as I can, Jules. It just lucked out that after I returned from my book signing party after midnight, the England- Aussie match was still being live-streamed so I was able to follow along whilst catching up on mail and everything.

Still don't know what the dickens is going on half the time but I like to get out of my cultural comfort zone now and zen...it's a refreshing tonic.

Archived