Jimmy Page techniques analised?

osoz

Ever hear of Star licks? Its tape series used to teach the solo techniques of a lot of guitar players. The Jimmy Page tape is hard to find and he isn't even listed as being one of the musicians to have done one on its wiki page but I have the Jimmy Page StarLicks tape in my collection. It was given to me by a girl I was dating back in 1984.

On the tape Jimmy's licks are played at different speeds so you can really hear what he is doing. I suggest hunting down this tape if you can. There is also a Lick Library DVD of Jimmy doing solos for GTBT, WLL, BD, RR and Stairway. That can be found at Kickass torrents

OMG, I can't believe someone else here remembers Star Licks. I still have my cassette somewhere, though one part was ruined when I accidentally taped over it.

Welcome Osoz, you sound very cool indeed!

• 7 months later...

Hi to all you zep fans  :yourock:

Been playing about with guitar for 30 years or more, I've now ended up getting serious with my Led Zeppelin playing. I can crank out a few songs but I want to get a deeper insight into Jimmy's playing. I've found a few web articles but many have things like missing diagrams which is driving me nuts, so if anyone knows of good complete web articles or ones that were published in magazines (mag, year and month published so I can try to track them down on ebay) that would be great.

I don't mind just hearing your opinions about his techniques, or what you have learned down the years, it's all good!

My own idea is that a lot of his style was about a killer and versatile right hand, capable of intricate finger picking through to the just plain 'rude'! There was a lot going on with the acoustic strumming with accenting and missed beats which just pours tension into the music. 

I've learned by watching a lot of videos he tackled an awful lot of styles with his left thumb hooked well over the top - so the chords in a song like BIGLU rather than being barre chords as might be expected in the traditional sense of the first finger forming the barre, are played with the thumb - a very cool way to introduce the open strings and creating a haunting sound.

But over to you lot...

check out username jun626 on YouTube. He plays a lot of zep stuff note for note, incredible player

• 1 year later...
On 9/2/2015 at 10:25 PM, Moddey Dhoo said:

check out username jun626 on YouTube. He plays a lot of zep stuff note for note, incredible player

I have a sneaky suspicion Jun is Jimmy Sakurai.  

& that Jimmy Sakurai is actually Jimmy Page from a Japanese dimension but that is neither here nor there.

Archived