New Zeppelin book

Mudbugclub

I find that very hard to believe, really another book ,,,your kidding me, is this a prank joke ,or something,I find this very hard to believe, there is nothing left to write about and certainly nothing new. I can't believe this ,

Barney Hoskyns' Trampled Under Foot is the beginning and end for LZ books, a truly definitive book on the stellar highs, the soul-destroying lows, and everything in between... all told in the words of those involved, with the author not injecting his own opinions and bias into the narrative. And if rumours are to be believed, Robert Plant himself liked and (privately) approved of Hoskyns' book, which should tell you something about it's accuracy and veracity. Buy that one and leave the rest (although Mick Wall's When Giants Walked The Earth is admittedly a fine read)... we don't need yet another LZ book, they're story is all told out.

That being said, a posthumous autobiography from Mr Page - as he's hinted at several times - would undoubtedly be one for the ages...

if rumours are to be believed, Robert Plant himself liked and (privately) approved of Hoskyns' book, which should tell you something about it's accuracy and veracity.

I hadn't heard any rumors that he liked the book. Personally, I LOVED that book - but hadn't heard any comments by any band members about it. If you could provide some links or sources of information, I think everyone here would find that to be very interesting.

As far as a new book, I will go read dazedjeffy's review and see if it is worth a read.

Mook, with Dave Lewis you can never go wrong. His books are awesome and so personal.

For the life of me, I can't find the online interview with Hoskyns anywhere (I believe it was a Facebook interview from November 2012) wherein he mentions in passing about he and Robert Plant sharing a mutual friend, and the mutual friend in question had told him (Hoskyns) that Plant had read and approved of Trampled Under Foot... so make of that what you will.

I located the interview in question, you can find it as a link on Hoskyns' Wikipedia page. The interview segment I referenced is thus;

Roch Parisien’s Rocon Communications

Did you seek the remaining band members' approval of your project? Did they all participate and contribute new interviews? Are you aware of any of them having read or commented on the book yet?

Barney Hoskyns

I did seek it and they did not participate, other than in the form of my spending a wonderful evening with Robert Plant in Tucson in August 2010. Plant is also the only member who – via a friend of his – has indicated that he likes the book. But I don't know how easy it is for him to say that publicly at a time when he has to put his promotional shoulder to the wheel that is CELEBRATION DAY. I would imagine that diplomacy has to be the order of the day right now.

Thank you for that. I appreciate you looking for it. Really doesn't surprise me actually. Robert was painted in a positive light and jimmy not so much. I'm not doubting it, just it was obvious. I truly believe that is the most accurate portrayal of the Zeppelin camp and history of the band. Thanks again.

Dave Lewis' books (Celebration Day & The Concerty File) are well worth a read as companions to the autobiographies like Trampled Under Foot.

Definitely Mook, especially with all the detail Dave Lewis encompassed in his books regarding the live shows, recording sessions, bootlegs and albums! Can't beat his his love and affection for the band, which is quite detailed and on such a personal level!

Trust me, guys and gals. This book is something different. It's in the same vein as "Led Zeppelin: The Press Reports..." however with lesser known interviews with and articles about the boys.

....I will look into this book more further, I have briefly scanned it, it does appear to be rare collection of interviews; as it is available now in local book store... this book is for the fans, I will gladly purchase it for all the knowledge... Jimmy is more admirer of his autobio book; as he recently commented on Light and Shade, as book that he would not write, collection of interviews....forgive me if this was a humorous comment from Jimmy about his noted Friendship with the very Talented Brad Tolinski, accomplished journalist in modern Amercian music...

Barney Hoskyns' Trampled Under Foot is the beginning and end for LZ books, a truly definitive book on the stellar highs, the soul-destroying lows, and everything in between... all told in the words of those involved, with the author not injecting his own opinions and bias into the narrative. And if rumours are to be believed, Robert Plant himself liked and (privately) approved of Hoskyns' book, which should tell you something about it's accuracy and veracity. Buy that one and leave the rest (although Mick Wall's When Giants Walked The Earth is admittedly a fine read)... we don't need yet another LZ book, they're story is all told out.

That being said, a posthumous autobiography from Mr Page - as he's hinted at several times - would undoubtedly be one for the ages...

In addition to the Hoskyn's book -which IMO is the definitive Zeppelin bio, fuck Hammer Of The Gods with it's grimy innuendo and When Giants Walk The Earth with it's pretentious bullshit- I always like to give a shout out to Keith Shadwick's book that came out a few years ago...it's one of the few Zep books that actually focuses on the music as opposed to lurid tales of drugs and mudsharks...

Definitely Mook, especially with all the detail Dave Lewis encompassed in his books regarding the live shows, recording sessions, bootlegs and albums! Can't beat his his love and affection for the band, which is quite detailed and on such a personal level!

Dave's books are in a class by themselves, and as such need to be considered separately. I've just ordered Feather In The Wind from his website and look forward to it. He should do a book on the '77 tour next...

Thank you for that. I appreciate you looking for it. Really doesn't surprise me actually. Robert was painted in a positive light and jimmy not so much. I'm not doubting it, just it was obvious. I truly believe that is the most accurate portrayal of the Zeppelin camp and history of the band. Thanks again.

I can understand Plant endorsing the Hoskyns book because he does get painted in a positive light (but then it's not like Robert is an asshole or anything, so that 's not hard in the first place...) I can't imagine Page being a big fan because it's quite the opposite with him...but then it seems to me that Page isn't a big fan of anything that doesn't come from the words of one of his known acolytes/sycophants, such as a Brad Tolinski. I know we had the writer of the Magus Musician Man Page bio on this forum at one point (George Case)...I can't imagine what Jimmy made of that book! Probably didn't get a ringing endorsement...

Archived