Did Led Zeppelin make the right decision to break up?

osoz

The big differences here is that all the bands mentioned, who replaced  one or more members, the replacements were

usually acceptable and may have even done some cool stuff. Still not like the "original", but Zep just couldn't do that,

everyone was distinctive and great. And live they had that ESP thing happening a lot. In Ozzy's bands( after Sabbath)

Randy Rhoads was basically the best song composer and soloist, Jake E Lee wasn't too bad. After that, Not too good.

Zakk Wilde may be a very good soloist, but many of the riffs and songs weren't too original or creative. I also in particular

think Jimmy wasn't even fit to continue on with the band. So not just Bonzo's death.

On 10/6/2017 at 6:37 PM, BledZabbath said:

How do you guys feel about Sabbath without Ozzy and the revolving door of musicians that came after? At one point Tony Iommi was the only original member.

Again, I saw them with and without Ozzy.  I was never a big fan of Ozzy...I never thought he was a good singer and had no range.  I considered him the weak link in the band.  When they replaced him with RJD, I was ecstatic!  Always loved Ronnie and thought he was one of the best vocalists in rock.  Plus with his dark persona, he fit in well with the message Sabbath always tried to embrace.  Their two albums "Heaven and Hell" and "Mob Rules" ranked right up there with "Paranoid" and "Masters of Reality" in my book.  After RJD left, I failed to see them as Sabbath anymore until Ozzy joined them again.

10 hours ago, Mithril46 said:

In Ozzy's bands( after Sabbath)

Randy Rhoads was basically the best song composer and soloist, Jake E Lee wasn't too bad. After that, Not too good.

Zakk Wilde may be a very good soloist, but many of the riffs and songs weren't too original or creative.

I agree with the Randy comment.

2 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

Again, I saw them with and without Ozzy.  I was never a big fan of Ozzy...I never thought he was a good singer and had no range.  I considered him the weak link in the band.  When they replaced him with RJD, I was ecstatic!  Always loved Ronnie and thought he was one of the best vocalists in rock.  Plus with his dark persona, he fit in well with the message Sabbath always tried to embrace.  Their two albums "Heaven and Hell" and "Mob Rules" ranked right up there with "Paranoid" and "Masters of Reality" in my book.  After RJD left, I failed to see them as Sabbath anymore until Ozzy joined them again.

I love Ronnie too, but that line-up didn't sound like Sabbath, the only time Ronnie sounded dark singing with Sabbath is when he covered the Ozzy songs and sounded over dramatic trying to do so.

You didn't like the Born Again album?

Edited by BledZabbath

6 minutes ago, BledZabbath said:

I agree with the Randy comment.

I love Ronnie too, but that line-up didn't sound like Sabbath, the only time Ronnie sounded dark singing with Sabbath is when he covered the Ozzy songs and sounded over dramatic trying to do so.

You didn't like the Born Again?

I loved Gillan's vocal range (who wouldn't), but I always considered him a pretty piss poor lyricist.  "Born Again" had some great songs on it (Trashed and Zero the Hero in particular), but it didn't seem like Sabbath to me at that point!

1 minute ago, Stryder1978 said:

I loved Gillan's vocal range (who wouldn't), but I always considered him a pretty piss poor lyricist.  "Born Again" had some great songs on it (Trashed and Zero the Hero in particular), but it didn't seem like Sabbath to me at that point!

I respect your opinion Stryder, none of the post Ozzy albums sounded like Sabbath, you can say even 13 doesn't sound like Sabbath without Bill Ward, which brings me back to the point I was trying to make on this thread, Led Zeppelin made the right choice calling it quits after Bonzo's untimely death. 

Now that I'm thinking about it, Metallica has done well over the years with changes in their lineup, but I think the big thing there is that James Hetfield has been there throughout providing consistent songwriting. Also, they don't "jam" and go off on tangents. I saw them in July and it was a FANTASTIC show, but it's just a show. They play their music with very little additional interpretation or riffs. Their live music follows their studio sound very closely. 

10 minutes ago, EaglesOfOneNest said:

Now that I'm thinking about it, Metallica has done well over the years with changes in their lineup, but I think the big thing there is that James Hetfield has been there throughout providing consistent songwriting. Also, they don't "jam" and go off on tangents. I saw them in July and it was a FANTASTIC show, but it's just a show. They play their music with very little additional interpretation or riffs. Their live music follows their studio sound very closely. 

To a lot of people Metallica died with Cliff.

1 hour ago, BledZabbath said:

I respect your opinion Stryder, none of the post Ozzy albums sounded like Sabbath, you can say even 13 doesn't sound like Sabbath without Bill Ward, which brings me back to the point I was trying to make on this thread, Led Zeppelin made the right choice calling it quits after Bonzo's untimely death. 

I know a LOT of Sabbath purists that feel that way!

On 10/8/2017 at 1:19 PM, BledZabbath said:

Glad I could help, I like Ozzy-less Sabbath, but don’t consider it Sabbath.

Oh hell yes, Heave & Hell and Mob Rules were better than either Technical Ecstasy or Never Say Die albums with Ozzy. IMO of course.

Mith is right, Jimmy was on a serious downward spiral and if Bonzo would have lived, Jimmy would have likely died. Either way, without some form of intervention or long hiatus, Zeppelin would have been over by 1981. TBH after everything that happened on the 77' tour and the death of Karac, I am very surprised Robert did not leave the band in 78'.

Edited by IpMan

Yeah, how many people know that Roy Harper( British Folk "Protest" singer and friend of Jimmy and sometime collaborator) mentioned in some English farming magazine that he was writing lyrics for the next Zep album.

Jimmy apparently knew Robert read this magazine, and although Jimmy tried to be patient with Robert and his

grieving, he was getting impatient, and Robert got in touch with Jimmy very quickly after Roy's comments.

So as pointed out in a earlier post, Zep was basically on life support from 78' on. Just can't imagine anyone in

the band somehow going on into the 80's, without seriously compromising the band.

As far as Sabbath, the rhythm section of Geezer and Bill Ward were very unique; they actually swung and got jazzy over

Tony Iommi's  Panzer Tank riffs, other bands could cop some of Iommi's sludge but not the jazzy rhythm section.. Thought

RJD was damn good(excellent live !!) but it wasn't Sabbath .

• 4 years later...

I don't think it's for any of us to judge whether it was right or wrong. Some bands can go on when someone leaves/dies, others can't. Led Zeppelin obviously saw themselves as more of a family than a band, so to them, losing Bonzo was like losing a brother. It was more than just losing a bandmate; it was like losing a limb. I also think Led Zeppelin were at the end of their rope by 1980, and Jimmy's heroin addiction wasn't getting any better. Even if Bonham hadn't died, I don't know how much longer they could have gone on before someone died.

The Who kept going after Keith Moon died, and The Allman Brothers Band kept going after Duane Allman died, but that doesn't make them wrong. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/1/2017 at 5:25 PM, Mithril46 said:

Well there you go, excellent, versatile drummer. But there are still a few who may think you could get a "50%" Bonzo. No,

not even 25%. Michael Lee was damn good, and Jason as well in 07'. It would be as drastic as having the rhythm section

of the Jimi Hendrix Experience getting in some excellent guitarist after Jimi's death. The Experience also had some of

the ESP thing Zep had, although they jammed practically twice as much as Zep live. But Zep, The Experience, after

the "main ingredient(s)" gone, were like a 500 jigsaw puzzle piece picture missing 135 pieces, an impossible fix. Of course

The Band of Gypsys' as well, etc.,.

Michael Lee was something else I Telya just watch him live with page & plant , what a drummer !!!!

Nothing against Jason , And he was great at the O2

but page and plant were both quoted saying “Michael  Lee is the closest they’ve ever heard to Bonzo !!!”