Feb 3 Jimmy Page Promises 'Quite Different' Direction With New Music

Megalodon

12 hours ago, jsj said:

you can  keep stating this pal but the fools still wont believe it. they love to cling to some vague distant dim hope that something somewhere might just happen maybe

I ain't no fool. I'm just asking why? Why won't he hunt?? I ain't holding on to some vague distant hope he will do shit! LOL. 

35 minutes ago, porgie66 said:

I ain't no fool. I'm just asking why? Why won't he hunt?? I ain't holding on to some vague distant hope he will do shit! LOL. 

My tuppence worth is that it's one, or a combination, of the following:

a - For whatever reason he knows he can't play at the level he wants to anymore and doesn't want to tarnish his legacy

b - He's just about to turn 73 and feels creatively he has nothing new to say that would enhance, rather than diminish, his reputation

c - He has never got over Zeppelin and is not prepared to play smaller venues or do things on a modest scale. He now seems to enjoy being the Gandlaf of rock and picking up gongs and talking about the old glory days.

Unfortunately, I feel he has left it too late.

After the black crowes project, in the early naughties, I felt he could have still done something worthwhile. 

8 minutes ago, rm2551 said:

I am going to go against the grain here.

I FULLY EXPECT we'll hear Jimmy playing next year. Either live Zep, new material, or both.

WHO's WITH ME!!!! :hurrah:

What do you base this on?

Blind optimism, or is there anything you have heard him say or do that leads you to believe he will actually come good after 16 years of false promises?

37 minutes ago, rm2551 said:

I am going to go against the grain here.

I FULLY EXPECT we'll hear Jimmy playing next year. Either live Zep, new material, or both.

WHO's WITH ME!!!! :hurrah:

Fairly certain he will perform in Tokyo on 11/11. What, with whom and for how long remains to be seen.

42 minutes ago, Boleskinner said:

What do you base this on?

Blind optimism, or is there anything you have heard him say or do that leads you to believe he will actually come good after 16 years of false promises?

I have not been following his "promises" for that long. Before geting onto this forum was ignorant of this to be honest. Just happily enjoying Zep and starting to discover boots. I don't doubt it (promises for numerous years), I just choose to be optimistic. Now you may see "blind optimism" - I say it is not at all a stretch to think thats whats going to happen. Take the recent interview where he CONCEDES he has said it before and fans have a right to feel a bit let down, but he fully intends to get on with it. Also, he got Black Beauty back. I think this cannot be underestimated for a creative spark. So yeah, he has said it for a while. But the question is....

ARE YOU WITH ME????

Even the sometimes harsh StevenA is with me!

57 minutes ago, rm2551 said:

I have not been following his "promises" for that long. Before geting onto this forum was ignorant of this to be honest. Just happily enjoying Zep and starting to discover boots. I don't doubt it (promises for numerous years), I just choose to be optimistic. Now you may see "blind optimism" - I say it is not at all a stretch to think thats whats going to happen. Take the recent interview where he CONCEDES he has said it before and fans have a right to feel a bit let down, but he fully intends to get on with it. Also, he got Black Beauty back. I think this cannot be underestimated for a creative spark. So yeah, he has said it for a while. But the question is....

ARE YOU WITH ME????

Nope. He backed Beck in 2009 at the RORHOF induction ceremony and nothing came of that.

Until I hear that he's in the studio jamming with other musicians I'm not getting my hopes up, because it's been 16 years of "next year I hope to be..."

5 hours ago, rm2551 said:

ARE YOU WITH ME????

I'm with ya, rm2551!  :gimmefive:

I, too, have not been following the promises for that long, and while I don't doubt the legitimate frustration on the part of those who have been following, I am ever hopeful. 

And ready.

:) 

Part of me thinks Page might do it because he seems to like proving people wrong ("think I'm finished? I'll show you" sort of thing). But the odds are against it on past recent form. If it happens I'll enjoy it (even if it's Jazz Odyssey), if not I'll carry on enjoying the music he's already given us.

• 1 month later...

From what I've read since the turn of the decade, I get the impression that deep down inside (or perhaps not too deep) he longs to be the guitarist in Zeppelin again. I think he is genuinely hurt by Robert's attitude (rightly or wrongly) especially as a few years ago 2014 seemed like it could be on from the comments Plant made a year or two before.

I can't remember what interview this was from but it was a televised interview. At one point Jimmy is playing LZ IV and listening to Stairway to Heaven, He's holding the cover and there is silence from him while he's listening to the song and just staring at the cover. It wasn't hard to see that he was affected by the memories. I do think that Zeppelin has taken over his life and although he may get fired up at the idea of making new music, ultimately the desire diminishes because what he wants most is to play as part of Zeppelin again. I do think he has much sadness in him that the chances of that appear now to have gone.

I really think it's a shame that a star that burned so bright and gave us so many thrills has been fading away for years because he's lost his true love.

IMO of course.

4 hours ago, Jukkin said:

I think he is genuinely hurt by Robert's attitude (rightly or wrongly) especially as a few years ago 2014 seemed like it could be on from the comments Plant made a year or two before.

If you mean the "I'm free in 2014" comment, then you didn't watch the comment in the context of the interview.  Plant was clearly taking the piss, and put it out there as a "please don't ask me about a reunion - ever" jibe.  I'm beginning to think you just have to be British to get his sense of humour - he was being deeply sarcastic.

On 27.9.2016 at 2:55 PM, SteveAJones said:

"I intend to be working on other projects before the end of the year. I intend to get things moving, a solo project".

Jimmy Page, July 2003 
(interview with Dominic Mohan of The Sun)

Is that the earliest promise of new music you know of?

15 hours ago, the-ocean87 said:

Is that the earliest promise of new music you know of?

Well, he alluded to "intentions" to dive into a second solo album as far back as Autumn 1988. I may be able to find quotes. Of course, he attempted to reform Led Zeppelin in January 1991 instead, and when that went nowhere he opted to begin a collaboration with David Coverdale in March 1991.

On March 3, 2016 at 1:29 PM, the chase said:

Quoting Steve above, not The Chase:

So pathetic. A legend reduced to this nonsense. If he had spent one minute combing the threads of this site, he would have gained some valuable insight into how his fans perceive him these days. Clearly, Page does not read this board. 

8 hours ago, The Dark Lord said:

So pathetic. A legend reduced to this nonsense. If he had spent one minute combing the threads of this site, he would have gained some valuable insight into how his fans perceive him these days. Clearly, Page does not read this board. 

I don't expect him to browse this board (or any other), but it goes back to my point quite some time ago about him being the most mismanaged artist in rock. Who in the hell would have signed off on those promotional materials knowing full well he had neither  intent nor contractual obligation to perform. The prevailing sentiment this morning of many Japanese attendees in their own words:

"It's in poor taste"...It's a fraud".

I'm already pushing such feedback to the powers that be at Class Rock, etc. This was the first Classic Rock Awards event held in Tokyo. If they'd like to hold another they've got some public relations to do. They flew in and rolled a big league market like a cheap whore. Let me tell you it has not gone unnoticed, nor will it be forgotten.   

10 hours ago, The Dark Lord said:

I think he is aware and recently said in an interview I've been quite rightly chastised for not playing, but I'll do things in my own time.

Just read the comments section on any Page interview online and the general consensus is that the continual remastering of the Zep catalog is just a profit-making exercise and he should be recording new stuff instead.

In the long term and for casual fans, his legacy will not be tarnished as Zeppelin will ultimately define him, but for fans like us, in the here and now, the false promises are damaging his image.

6 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

I think he is aware and recently said in an interview I've been quite rightly chastised for not playing, but I'll do things in my own time.

If he's going to do it in his own time I'd say that's fair enough, but he keeps putting a (semi solid) date on it "by the end of next year" etc. If he thinks it might take a while, why not just say "there'll be a solo project but I don't know exactly who with or by when".

It's getting genuinely odd now, as if there is some mental block about performing solo or something?? I don't know. He ought to realise the effect all this is having on the fans though. 

Archived