Feb 3 Jimmy Page Promises 'Quite Different' Direction With New Music

Megalodon

it would be nice if an interviewer had the balls to follow up an answer from Page like this with a reply along the lines of "yeah but you've been saying this for well over 10 years, why should we believe you this time?"

Spot on. Unfortunately, the PR game means that if a journo is rude to Page they wont be invited back for the next round of interviews in the remasters project. I noticed that the Guardian journo only really had a pop at Page in his final interview for ITTOD. A parting shot after the game was over. Page has come over as defensive, prickly and evasive during these interviews. He gets indignant when an interviewer is not being a sycophant and telling him how he wonderful he is.

Jimmy will deliver new music, and a bunch of people will complain it's not Zeppelin sounding, others will be upset that it's not hippy/artsy enough while others will complain that his heart was not in it. Jimmy does what he wants because he is a delicate flower who looks for inspiration. Some people can appear to be very boastful and very in your face but when you meet them in person you realize they are very shy and sometimes scared to be around people.

Jimmy's music and his smile is like that of an old friend, something to take comfort in, something to take inspiration from to apply to your day to day life. Enough with the Jimmy bashing. 

Does Jimmy or Jimmy's people give instructions to the interviewer on what exactly
can be asked before hand? The interviews never have a very intimate or candid feel
to them. He doesn't need to give play-by- play details on his drug use and Lori M at
the Hyatt. Just something with a bit less public relations vibe to it perhaps.

I always read or listen to his latest interviews, but I have to double check dates because
the questions the answers are often repetitive. Maybe the interviews begin to bleed
together because he is not making new music, and much of his time with the media has
been about all the Led Zeppelin re-masters and not about new music.

It's a strange game with the media that's for sure.

Sorry Trey for the late reply, I'll try to find the clip on "media". still looks to me like he was looking for a discount or remembering  when he used to play guitars......:D

Thanks so much. Have you come across it yet? If so, let me know thanks, I'm still searching!

100% agreed, except that I have not lost respect for Jimmy. I pity him, but I still respect him very much. He just really needs to stop humiliating himself with empty pronouncements that will never be fulfilled. He clearly has no clue as to how he is being perceived after years and years of unkept promises.

Remember that 1985 Robert Plant interview someone recently posted here?  During this interview, didn't Plant mention that Page has never really cared about how people viewed him?   

Contradicting statement between DJ Carol Miller interview  - http://jomaeder.com/2013/03/qa-carol-miller-rock-radio-dj-led-zeppelin-expert-part-two/

JM: Can you leave us with one Led Zeppelin story that the general public probably doesn’t know.

CM: Having interviewed especially Robert Plant as much as I have, I’ve never seen anyone change his mind as much in my life. He’s very dependent on other people’s opinions of him and he overreacted, I think, a way long time ago, to harsh press criticism in the 70s. Ever since then he’s tried to apologize for being Mr. Led Zeppelin. Apologize for those dances he did with his shirt open and apologize for the music that was so crass. Now he doesn’t want to sing ‘Stairway to Heaven’ and he’s been doing all this other kind of music. But the Kennedy Center Honors …

At the gym my husband I work out has a decent age range. Anyhow the subject of L Z came up after several
guys said they were in attendance at a gig in '77. The bulk of us stated our jealousy at being either non existent,
on the nipple, or just not at a concert appropriate age even up to Bonham's passing. Then a few others mentioned
they had seen Jimmy post Zep. This brought his solo career to the forefront of convo. I noticed those who had
attended either Zep concerts or 80's 90's gigs were bit more meh with Jimmy and his latest solo news. While the
18 - 24 year olds were planted firmly in the rah - rah pom - poms Jimmy Page is making a solo album so
excited section.

It was interesting to see that Jimmy and Zeppelin have got quite the hold on young--er fans. Then again a 19 year
hasn't been waiting 27 years for a solo album to come out. A lot of those fans are just getting into the L Z craze
and are oblivious to the fact it's been a long time. That's how it goes. New fans come along. You re-introduce by
re-mastering and put it into a format they're cool with. My friends son is 17. He and his friends are eating up all
these remasters that Page has put out. It's all "new" to them even with it technically being 35+ years old. Not making
excuses up for Jimmy. I'm just kind of seeing it from different fans ages. They're content downloading the music
sticking the ear buds in their ears and away they go. They haven't had all these years to mull over the lack of material
solo wise from Jimmy.

Positive note though. You must have got it right when a 17 year old in 1977 or 17 year old in 2015 is buying the exact
same music 38 years apart. That's the beauty of Zeppelin, you sit on this forum with a teenaged kid or man woman in
their 70's and dish about the band.  :D

Not sure if this will happen with Page and new music as it seems to be the same old story each year and promising new music with a new band and a tour to follow...or at least doing some dates. 

But, this time it seems we're hearing much more of this from JPP, so maybe perhaps something may happen and he may possibly have the drive to make these plans happen after all!  Who knows?

And yet the ones I was speaking to, would jump at a chance for that. At this point I wonder
if someone born in the 90's will ever get that opportunity - as in see Jimmy in a concert length
performance.... I'm at 50/50.  Haha I know others would say fat chance.
:lol:

Just read this article on Yahoo news:

Legendary rock and roll guitarist Jimmy Page has announced his first tour in 20 years, according to an interview with Guitar World. The famed Led Zeppelin guitarist will reportedly hit the road with a band that sounds “totally different” than his 1970s rock group.

Page has been largely absent from the touring game for a long time, spending most of his days working on reissuing the Led Zeppelin catalog, and managing various other aspects of his former band’s brand.

Related: Prince surprise-dropped Hit N Run: Phase Two on Tidal

Considered by many to be one of the greatest rock and roll guitarists of all time, Page started his career as a session musician in the UK, before joining famed pre-Zeppelin group The Yardbirds in the mid-1960s. He then went on to co-found Zeppelin in 1968. For his efforts in both groups, Page has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame twice — once for each group.

Page’s last major tour was with Led Zeppelin singer Robert Plant in 1998, and he hasn’t released an album since 1988’s Outrider. All that will change next year, when the singer says he will release another solo album to coincide with the tour.

“It was a question of having time,” he said when asked about why he had been absent from the road and studio for so long. “The only way to have time is to shut down and then do what you want to do. I’ve been doing so much Led Zeppelin stuff over quite a number of years now; so it’s not been so easy to think about anything else in the tail end of this year. But OK, next year, bang!”

Though no members of his new band have been announced, the guitarist says that the group will play a mixture of old and new material on the tour, with no word on what the new material will sound like, other than stating, “It won’t be entirely what people might be expecting.”

An aging musician, Page wants to play for as many fans as possible before he doesn’t have the ability to anymore, saying in an interview with Billboard in late 2014, “I haven’t got another 20-30 years left in me, so I really need to get out there and present myself the way that I like to present myself, and to be seen and be heard.”

I'm not in the loop with Jimmy the way some members of this board could very well
be. His "keep the fans guessing" plan of action is how Pagey rolls in my eyes. I'm
also not on the team that see's his recent interviews on getting a band and playing
live as hooey. I'm calling it an E X T R E M E case of procrastination.

But shouldn't there at least be some faint whispers from the artists that Jimmy could
possibly be working with at this point? It's December 2015. He wants to tour in 2016.
It's not 27 years ago where you have to wait for the magazine in the hand to keep
fans updated

A short Tweet, Facebook or Instagram post from a singer, drummer, bass guitarist,
hell I don't know an accordion player in a beer barrel polka band, a square dance
caller?
:banana:ANYONE  or anything hinting at working with Jimmy in 2016.

We'll, I'm one of those who saw them at 17 in 1977 and I am really tired of Mr. Page baiting us with his promises.  

I'll believe it when I see it!

Lucky you are Chef Free :)

Rose coloured Jimmy Page fangirl glasses coming off

As much as I disagree with it being baiting. I DO understand why you'd say it. I do.
It's definitely a strategy that could perhaps need changing. At least I think it does.
It's been nonstop talk about being seen live in every interview given. It's like being
stuck in a rock in a hard place with the media and fans on this. An American tour in
2016? The realist in me sees that's Jimmy attempt at climbing Mt. Everest. He has
set the bar high on himself with these un-kept  promises. Maybe he needs to get the
take a risk attitude back at 71.  I
really should not care one way or another. For me
the pinnacle was hit with Zep - for ALL 4 of them. A tough act to follow. He stopped
short with only making one solo album and playing live in general once we got to the
2000's for some reason.

Well we're hearing more and more of this lately from JPP in various interviews and more so than other years (of the last 15, since his career has been dormant), so perhaps, finally there could be some truth to it.  But until I hear specific band member names, solo album release date and titles and tour dates, I won't believe it! There is hope but not a lot as we've  done this circuit many times before!

Show us and tell us something Jimmy to make us believe you this time!

The thing that makes me laugh is that he says he's been busy with the Zep and Jimmypage.com archive stuff. Loads of artists of his generation are still making albums, touring and releasing archive material at the same time. These things are not mutually exclusive. It's just another excuse. It took him 9 months to make Outrider and I think Page/Coverdale was taken slowly as well, so the chances of both an album and a tour next year are slim. As fas as we know, he hasn't even assembled a band, or started jamming yet.

100% agreed, except that I have not lost respect for Jimmy. I pity him, but I still respect him very much. He just really needs to stop humiliating himself with empty pronouncements that will never be fulfilled. He clearly has no clue as to how he is being perceived after years and years of unkept promises.

I didn't realize it took him 9 months to record Outrider.  Led Zeppelin released their first two albums within a 12 month period; three albums within their first two years and five albums within their first five years.  Obviously, a lot has changed since then.  How long did it take Page and Coverdale to write and record the songs on the Coverdale/Page album?  

Jimmy Page is President and CEO of Led Zeppelin.  He has shown no hesitation whatsoever in continuing to do whatever it takes to sustain and grow his legacy; his band, the past, as in LED ZEPPELIN.   If he said he was retired those hopeful of a solo project or even another Zeppelin reunion of sorts would leave; sales and interest for President Pages company would diminish - maybe that's how he thinks.  who knows......  Jimmy says he's on the touchlines warming up.  Well, here in Seattle being on the Touchlines in December is cold.  I've gone indoors.  I'll peak out again in spring........

Hello by the way - I'm Michael, 54 from Seattle - new to the board.  Saw Zeppelin live in 77 in Seattle. 

How long did it take Page and Coverdale to write and record the songs on the Coverdale/Page album?  

About 18 months from the first day of writing to the last day of mastering.

Here in Seattle being on the Touchlines in December is cold.  I've gone indoors.  I'll peak out again in spring........Hello by the way - I'm Michael, 54 from Seattle - new to the board.  Saw Zeppelin live in 77 in Seattle. 

Hello, Michael. He said that starting in August he'd be focused on the guitar. Well, he did not look anywhere near match fit to me in Seattle a couple weeks ago.

He said that starting in August he'd be focused on the guitar. Well, he did not look anywhere near match fit to me in Seattle a couple weeks ago.

I was shocked that Jimmy would announce, as an apology of sorts, that the number ("Rock'n'Roll") was unrehearsed. That's like saying, before performing "Happy Birthday", that it was unrehearsed.

If Jimmy can pull off a tour, then great! I hope it's good enough for a Blu-ray release.... The best performances of each song from the tour. Don't need 15 camera angles. Video each show, so we can catch when Jimmy's on fire.

Still remembering Robert musing on how great Jimmy sounded on SIBLY for the Unledded TV presentation --- in the rehearsals !!!!

If Jimmy can pull off a tour, then great! I hope it's good enough for a Blu-ray release.... The best performances of each song from the tour. Don't need 15 camera angles. Video each show, so we can catch when Jimmy's on fire.

If he ever delivers even ONE concert length performance I guess we'll go from there. 

Archived