"Thank you" solo = live fiasco (from audience)

Strider77

Umm not too sure what you mean.. It was a decent solo, Page has played it much better other dates once he had it worked out more but still pretty good here. A few people cheered after it. I didn't hear any "fiasco".

But I couldn't view this video due to it being blocked in the U.S., but listened to it elsewhere. Maybe you can hear more audience noise in this but I assume the copy I listened to came from the same source but maybe not.

The video played fine for me and it was a real treat to listen to, however I did not hear any fiasco at all during the guitar solo. John Paul Jones was playing the organ pretty hard during the guitar solo and maybe some of the organ notes sounded like an uproar from the audience to your ears? I haven't listened to this show for many many years so I quickly read Luis Rey's review and he does mention that the show was plagued by trouble makers in the audience so could be you are hearing something I am not.

Read what he actually wrote... fiasco from audience, not from Page himself. After such a great solo, almost no applause! That was the fiasco in my ears :).

Well, I am not going to judge an audience's reaction from a 45 year old tape recorded on ancient equipment. I dug up an alternate source since the youtube clip Strider77 posted doesn't play in the U.S. and had a listen. I don't hear a fiasco...either from the band or the audience. The audience was probably stunned into submission by that point, anyway, and maybe they were showing their politeness and patience by actually listening to the song and allowing that brief bit of quiet space as the solo ends and only Jones is heard as the song resumes. They certainly cheered loud enough at the end of the song.

Verdict = no fiasco.

Of course, the "fiasco" refers to public reaction, which seems completely incomprehensible considering the performance and the type of solo in question. And it's like that for almost every interpretation (decently recorded or not). As much usual, the solo is followed by a cathedral of silence, broken by Plant, as here, Plant delaying to starting his couplet, only a few meager aplaudissements are heard. The thesis of the "paralyzing emotional shock" is therefore - IMO - excluded.

I'd kill to obtain the testimony of one of these Silent One.

Archived