PHYSICAL GRAFFITI PLAYBACK EVENT W/ JIMMY PAGE CONTEST

Strider

all the years when you couldn't give their music away, it was so unfashionable.

Exactly when was this? Sure, Led Zeppelin was unfashionable to the media...and to some of the punkrock crowd. But to the general music-buying public at large, Led Zeppelin albums have always been musical currency. Their catalogue formed the backbone of Atlantic Records sales for years, even after the end of the band. You never found their records in the .99 cent bin at record shops like you did with Jethro Tull, Black Sabbath, Ted Nugent, Aerosmith, Elton John, and so many other 70s bands. When the CD craze happened and so many stores started dumping their vinyl stock, Led Zeppelin's albums held their value.

Exactly when was this? Sure, Led Zeppelin was unfashionable to the media...and to some of the punkrock crowd. But to the general music-buying public at large, Led Zeppelin albums have always been musical currency. Their catalogue formed the backbone of Atlantic Records sales for years, even after the end of the band. You never found their records in the .99 cent bin at record shops like you did with Jethro Tull, Black Sabbath, Ted Nugent, Aerosmith, Elton John, and so many other 70s bands. When the CD craze happened and so many stores started dumping their vinyl stock, Led Zeppelin's albums held their value.

Oh, like '84-'90. During this period classic rock was not yet classic. It was just old and most definitely out of style. The difference between bell bottoms and skinny ties.Bands like Sabbath, Nugent, Aerosmith, Elton John, Alice Cooper, The Rolling Sones and Deep Purple were all active in the eighties with new material and tours. Zep influenced stuff like "Still of the Night", but that drove people to buy Whitesnake albums, not Zep albums. Had Plant and/or Page's solo work delivered something Zeppelinesque, or if exciting new Zep material had been released, the legacy may not have lied dormant until the box set came out. The hardcore fans, like hardcore fans of any group, stayed true. But to the music world and culture at large, Zeppelin were passe during this time.

Oh, like '84-'90. During this period classic rock was not yet classic. It was just old and most definitely out of style. The difference between bell bottoms and skinny ties.Bands like Sabbath, Nugent, Aerosmith, Elton John, Alice Cooper, The Rolling Sones and Deep Purple were all active in the eighties with new material and tours. Zep influenced stuff like "Still of the Night", but that drove people to buy Whitesnake albums, not Zep albums. Had Plant and/or Page's solo work delivered something Zeppelinesque, or if exciting new Zep material had been released, the legacy may not have lied dormant until the box set came out. The hardcore fans, like hardcore fans of any group, stayed true. But to the music world and culture at large, Zeppelin were passe during this time.

I don't agree completely with your post. For one thing, 1984-90 is when the Classic Rock format started taking off. I worked in record stores during these years so I know a little of what I am talking about.

Now, if you're talking about Zeppelin's rep in the UK, that's different. The UK was never as enamored with Zeppelin as the U.S. was, and they were more prone to fads hyped by the media...Glam Rock and New Romanticism never succeeded in the U.S. like it did in the U.K.

But in the U.S., Led Zeppelin still maintained a certain aura, even during 1984-90. We definitely were not giving away any Led Zeppelin albums...not when people were still willing to pay good money for them.

Exactly Strider. As a matter of fact, after the Zep "reunion" at Live Aid there was a sort of renaissance for Zeppelin and their music. Plant's '88 tour was huge and the mega-offers for a tour with Page, Plant, and Jones were coming in right after Live Aid. Their popularity didn't wane much in the states that's for sure!

I got kind of chocked up when "Mark" started to tell his story about his stroke & how the music helped him along. JP seemed really touched - it was an unexpected & really nice moment.

Fav track for me was In the Light... and like many - wish there were companion versions of TYG, Down by the Sea Side, etc. But I'll take what I can get!! & hold out great hope for Presence, ITTOD & Coda!

Peace

I don't agree completely with your post. For one thing, 1984-90 is when the Classic Rock format started taking off. I worked in record stores during these years so I know a little of what I am talking about.

Now, if you're talking about Zeppelin's rep in the UK, that's different. The UK was never as enamored with Zeppelin as the U.S. was, and they were more prone to fads hyped by the media...Glam Rock and New Romanticism never succeeded in the U.S. like it did in the U.K.

But in the U.S., Led Zeppelin still maintained a certain aura, even during 1984-90. We definitely were not giving away any Led Zeppelin albums...not when people were still willing to pay good money for them.

When andrew r said Zep music "couldn't be given away", i didn't take that literally and that's not what i was implying either. Of course the records were in the stores and new were full price. The point was that the popular artists of the day outsold Zep. MJ, Prince, Madonna, Phil Collins, Genesis, hair metal all no doubt outsold Zep in the 80's. Even in the U.S. As a Zep fan,The Firm & Now and Zen did not satisfy my thirst which is why i made dubs of concert recordings and traded them through the mail for other high generation dubs. You can't get much more underground than that. I can't attest to what you sold in your stores or what was on your local radio, but i do know what i listened to, what my friends and family listened to, what was on my radio, and what was on MTV. Zeppelin was something i had to seek out and find for myself. That was my experience in the 80's in the U.S.

In regards to zep being "passe" in the 80s...totally untrue imo. As a listener of rock music, i was going from vinyl records to cds and still taping everything for the car and walkmans. But on fm radio, hey hey what can i do and travellin riverside blues were bein played somewhat regularly. In a way, those 2 songs kept them vibrant on fm radio in america. I dont think anyone could even plan that, yet it worked out good for zeppelin,..because popularity kept changing...as it always does. They took advantage of that too w the first zep box set...alittle chunk of popularity for a band that was over, with a huge catalogue of great music.

When andrew r said Zep music "couldn't be given away", i didn't take that literally and that's not what i was implying either. Of course the records were in the stores and new were full price. The point was that the popular artists of the day outsold Zep. MJ, Prince, Madonna, Phil Collins, Genesis, hair metal all no doubt outsold Zep in the 80's. Even in the U.S. As a Zep fan,The Firm & Now and Zen did not satisfy my thirst which is why i made dubs of concert recordings and traded them through the mail for other high generation dubs. You can't get much more underground than that. I can't attest to what you sold in your stores or what was on your local radio, but i do know what i listened to, what my friends and family listened to, what was on my radio, and what was on MTV. Zeppelin was something i had to seek out and find for myself. That was my experience in the 80's in the U.S.

Well you certainly weren't in upstate New York, where every "Memorial Day 500" countdown on 95x, out of Syracuse, had at least 4 Zep songs in the top 20 and Stairway was always #1! Moved down to Florida in '86 and it was the same down here - even with hip-hop, etc taking off.

Well you certainly weren't in upstate New York, where every "Memorial Day 500" countdown on 95x, out of Syracuse, had at least 4 Zep songs in the top 20 and Stairway was always #1! Moved down to Florida in '86 and it was the same down here - even with hip-hop, etc taking off.

Exactly Walter. Glad to see you got my point. Obviously Led Zeppelin wasn't selling as much in the 80s as Madonna, Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, Wacko Jacko, etc. They weren't a band and therefore had no new albums. But their catalogue still sold steadily as new generations discovered Led Zeppelin.

Led Zeppelin was not passé and neither did they disappear from rock radio. You couldn't go an hour without hearing Led Zeppelin on the FM rock radio stations in the U.S. Rock and Roll, Whole Lotta Love, Black Dog, Dazed and Confused, Ramble On, D'Yer M'ker, Fool in the Rain, Trampled Under Foot, Achilles Last Stand, Kashmir and of course, Stairway to Heaven, all were played round the clock on stations like KLOS 95.5 FM. And, as Walter noted, every year the Memorial Day 500 featured a ton of Zeppelin in the list, with a bunch of Zeppelin in the top 20 and Stairway on top at #1. Only the Beatles had a similar number of songs in the countdown.

"Travelling Riverside Blues" and "Hey Hey" weren't officially released for radio airplay until 1990, when the box set was released.

This is turning into fanboy nonsense. I'm just objectively reporting my experience, What happened in your life in your cities were not universal experiences. There are less populated areas of the country where, in the eighties, classic rock radio didn't exist and in some places only country music and MTV existed. And not by a long shot was everyone listening to "classic" rock radio where it did exist in 1986. That MtV played all of zero Zep videos during the 80's speaks to the band's place on the cultural landscape. The fact that you, like me, listened to a lot of Zep is irrelevant to the fact that they were not the musical force that Michael Jackson and Phil Collins were in the 80's. They, at the time, weren't having he impact they once had, especially compared to Metallica or U2 who were in style. That's all. Led Zeppelin were never a mainstream focus. Ever. And the 80's were when they were farthest away from it. This isn't a judgement. I never thought they were passe, but that kind of talk did exist at the time. Sorry, but no matter how much you and i might dislike his music, Peter Cetera was more significant than Zep in the 80's.

Always fascinating listening to Jimmy. He's so articulate and intelligent. Obviously his passion and love of all things Zeppelin remains

undiminished.

One very poignant moment in this playback event came when a gentleman in the audience was seen sobbing and being comforted by a

female companion.

One can imagine they were his tears of joy, memories of days past, and the simple miracle of Zeppelin's music bringing such

unimaginable emotion to his life. I am in complete sympathy with his moment.

....Thanks Nirvana, your chosen name speaks for itself, lifelong Worldly obligations and pleasures at last enter the premises of the heart and come "Home", .....Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, Beloved John Bonham, and John Paul Jones Reside there...

"Travelling Riverside Blues" and "Hey Hey" weren't officially released for radio airplay until 1990, when the box set was released.

This is turning into fanboy nonsense. I'm just objectively reporting my experience, What happened in your life in your cities were not universal experiences. There are less populated areas of the country where, in the eighties, classic rock radio didn't exist and in some places only country music and MTV existed. And not by a long shot was everyone listening to "classic" rock radio where it did exist in 1986. That MtV played all of zero Zep videos during the 80's speaks to the band's place on the cultural landscape. The fact that you, like me, listened to a lot of Zep is irrelevant to the fact that they were not the musical force that Michael Jackson and Phil Collins were in the 80's. They, at the time, weren't having he impact they once had, especially compared to Metallica or U2 who were in style. That's all. Led Zeppelin were never a mainstream focus. Ever. And the 80's were when they were farthest away from it. This isn't a judgement. I never thought they were passe, but that kind of talk did exist at the time. Sorry, but no matter how much you and i might dislike his music, Peter Cetera was more significant than Zep in the 80's.

There was a time.....where us zep fans had to tape travellin riverside blues off thr radio and still could find immigrant song on 45. But up until 1990 it was all on radio or bootleg vinyl. I was still not burned out totally on radio at that time...so i can say, just for my experience...those were big songs on the radio till the late 80s imo.

....Thanks Nirvana, your chosen name speaks for itself, lifelong Worldly obligations and pleasures at last enter the premises of the heart and come "Home", .....Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, Beloved John Bonham, and John Paul Jones Reside there...

Understood PlanetPage. I too have my emotional ties to the four members of Zeppelin that go beyond the years and the music. Nothing can disturb the life-long etchings that their combined artistry have engraved upon my memories.

Peace to you and yours friend. * )

Not true. HHWCIS was the B side of The Immigrant Song single in 1970.

Good spot, Reggie. Absolutely correct. And while "Travelling Riverside Blues" wasn't available to buy officially until the 1990 Box set, it was played on radio stations that aired the BBC transcriptions that made the rounds in the 70s and 80s.

I'll try to explain the point one more time but this is the last time, as I don't want to derail the thread any further. But I feel andrew r and Badgeholder Still's assertions merit rebuttal. Now, to the rest of Badgeholder Still's last post...

I'm not a fanboy. Not even close.

I'm generally willing to let little things go when it comes to discussions on this forum. But when it comes to Led Zeppelin, I feel it is important enough on the band's official site to come correct, factually and contextually. That helps any newcomers to the band to get the proper perspective and not get side-tracked by the misinformation, rumours, and revisionist history that the media still likes to spout about Led Zeppelin.

In this case, all I am trying to do is clarify the difference between surface popularity and cultural significance and how it is easy to confuse the two.

Let us take Badgeholder Still's final sentence in his last post. To suggest that Peter Cetera had greater cultural significance than Led Zeppelin at any time, whether it was the 80s, 70s, 90s, 00s, is a classic case of confusing sales with actual cultural impact.

Yes, Peter Cetera had lots of radio hits and sold lots of records in the 80s...more than Led Zeppelin, no question. But all those Peter Cetera albums were in the cutout bins by the end of the decade. His music was consigned to the secretary radio ghetto...along with Richard Marx and Michael Bolton.

You don't have to sell gazillions to have cultural relevance and significance. The Velvet Underground is example A of this. While Led Zeppelin's sales peak was in the 1970s during their existence, even after their breakup their presence was still felt. I'm sorry if it wasn't felt where you lived, but that's not my problem.

The numbers don't lie...Classic Rock Radio ratings rose throughout the 1980s. More and more stations added daily "Get the Led Out"/"Whole Lotta Led" segments to their programming. There were more Led Zeppelin t-shirts available and sold in the 80s than there were in the 70s, and a sizeable percentage of those shirts were being bought and worn by kids.

But here is the truest test of the fallacy of yours and andrew r's assertion. The bands that came out of the 80s with the most musical impact and significance are Nirvana, Jane's Addiction, Prince, Beastie Boys, Madonna, Guns n Roses, Metallica, Sonic Youth, REM, Replacements, Ministry, The Cure and U2, among some others. With the exception of Madonna, ALL of those other bands borrowed aspects of Led Zeppelin's sound, either directly or indirectly. Whether they want to admit it or not, Led Zeppelin was an influence on them and most of them even covered Led Zeppelin at some time in their careers. The Beastie Boys and nearly every metal band in the 80s used "Hammer of the Gods" as a how-to guide to touring/partying.

On the other hand, not one of the above acts has ever said Peter Cetera was an influence. Seen any Peter Cetera shirts lately? Record shops will laugh if you try to sell or trade in your Cetera albums and cds.

It doesn't matter if the NME and Melody Maker and Rolling Stone declared Led Zeppelin passé in the 80s. By the 80s, nobody with any sense paid attention to what they said anyway. It was the same with the punkrockers, who were starting to become strangled by their own often conflicting rules and codes. No serious music fan took the punks seriously.

Led Zeppelin was the biggest band of the 70s despite an often hostile or indifferent music press. The fans simply didn't care what Rolling Stone said. So why should they care what the media said about Led Zeppelin in the 80s? The more the press and punkers tried to denounce Led Zeppelin and dismiss them as dinosaurs, the more it came across as them trying to convince themselves of something that wasn't true.

On the contrary, while Led Zeppelin ceased being a functioning band in the 80s and weren't in the forefront of the media and top 40 pop consciousness, their music was still accessible and making an impact on the people that mattered...the dedicated, passionate music fans and musicians who didn't just follow fads.

Good spot, Reggie. Absolutely correct. And while "Travelling Riverside Blues" wasn't available to buy officially until the 1990 Box set, it was played on radio stations that aired the BBC transcriptions that made the rounds in the 70s and 80s.

I'll try to explain the point one more time but this is the last time, as I don't want to derail the thread any further. But I feel andrew r and Badgeholder Still's assertions merit rebuttal. Now, to the rest of Badgeholder Still's last post...

I'm generally willing to let little things go when it comes to discussions on this forum. But when it comes to Led Zeppelin, I feel it is important enough on the band's official site to come correct, factually and contextually. That helps any newcomers to the band to get the proper perspective and not get side-tracked by the misinformation, rumours, and revisionist history that the media still likes to spout about Led Zeppelin.

In this case, all I am trying to do is clarify the difference between surface popularity and cultural significance and how it is easy to confuse the two.

Let us take Badgeholder Still's final sentence in his last post. To suggest that Peter Cetera had greater cultural significance than Led Zeppelin at any time, whether it was the 80s, 70s, 90s, 00s, is a classic case of confusing sales with actual cultural impact.

Yes, Peter Cetera had lots of radio hits and sold lots of records in the 80s...more than Led Zeppelin, no question. But all those Peter Cetera albums were in the cutout bins by the end of the decade. His music was consigned to the secretary radio ghetto...along with Richard Marx and Michael Bolton.

You don't have to sell gazillions to have cultural relevance and significance. The Velvet Underground is example A of this. While Led Zeppelin's sales peak was in the 1970s during their existence, even after their breakup their presence was still felt. I'm sorry if it wasn't felt where you lived, but that's not my problem.

The numbers don't lie...Classic Rock Radio ratings rose throughout the 1980s. More and more stations added daily "Get the Led Out"/"Whole Lotta Led" segments to their programming. There were more Led Zeppelin t-shirts available and sold in the 80s than there were in the 70s, and a sizeable percentage of those shirts were being bought and worn by kids.

But here is the truest test of the fallacy of yours and andrew r's assertion. The bands that came out of the 80s with the most musical impact and significance are Nirvana, Jane's Addiction, Prince, Beastie Boys, Madonna, Guns n Roses, Metallica, Sonic Youth, REM, Replacements, Ministry, The Cure and U2, among some others. With the exception of Madonna, ALL of those other bands borrowed aspects of Led Zeppelin's sound, either directly or indirectly. Whether they want to admit it or not, Led Zeppelin was an influence on them and most of them even covered Led Zeppelin at some time in their careers. The Beastie Boys and nearly every metal band in the 80s used "Hammer of the Gods" as a how-to guide to touring/partying.

On the other hand, not one of the above acts has ever said Peter Cetera was an influence. Seen any Peter Cetera shirts lately? Record shops will laugh if you try to sell or trade in your Cetera albums and cds.

It doesn't matter if the NME and Melody Maker and Rolling Stone declared Led Zeppelin passé in the 80s. By the 80s, nobody with any sense paid attention to what they said anyway. It was the same with the punkrockers, who were starting to become strangled by their own often conflicting rules and codes. No serious music fan took the punks seriously.

Led Zeppelin was the biggest band of the 70s despite an often hostile or indifferent music press. The fans simply didn't care what Rolling Stone said. So why should they care what the media said about Led Zeppelin in the 80s? The more the press and punkers tried to denounce Led Zeppelin and dismiss them as dinosaurs, the more it came across as them trying to convince themselves of something that wasn't true.

On the contrary, while Led Zeppelin ceased being a functioning band in the 80s and weren't in the forefront of the media and top 40 pop consciousness, their music was still accessible and making an impact on the people that mattered...the dedicated, passionate music fans and musicians who didn't just follow fads.

We are of course only discussing America and the American market. I can assure you that in their homeland and the rest of mainland Europe they were a spent force and rather unfashionable. One of the first gigs Plant played post Zep was a tiny college bar in a backwater of Wales .Dave lewis was there and was the only person to write a review. My comment concerned Dave Lewis as keeper of an unfashionable flame, culturally in the UK . Obvious i would have thought as he is an English journalist writing primarily for the Uk market. Hope that is cleared up.

We are of course only discussing America and the American market. I can assure you that in their homeland and the rest of mainland Europe they were a spent force and rather unfashionable. One of the first gigs Plant played post Zep was a tiny college bar in a backwater of Wales .Dave lewis was there and was the only person to write a review. My comment concerned Dave Lewis as keeper of an unfashionable flame, culturally in the UK . Obvious i would have thought as he is an English journalist writing primarily for the Uk market. Hope that is cleared up.

The Honeydrippers right? I also saw him on that tour at Manchester Poly. I enjoyed it immensely. Even then though he was dismissive of Zeppelin. I remember him saying something like " No songs from that band so don't ask me to do one " Some things never change eh Bob? Disingenuous from the outset

Well said, Strider. The only other things I could add would be the rash of Zeppelin clone bands were everywhere from '87-'90, when grunge really took over the hard rock scene. Andrew r, you saw something completely different over in England than we experienced over here in terms of Zeppelin and their popularity and influence. It always was different over there, for many bands and acts. But over here, it's not about fan boyish attitude geezer, er taro, er badgeholder still - it's about facts and the facts are classic rock radio was at its peak in the mid to late 80's and Zeppelin ruled the roost in that genre, by far. End of story.

Well said, Strider. The only other things I could add would be the rash of Zeppelin clone bands were everywhere from '87-'90, when grunge really took over the hard rock scene. Andrew r, you saw something completely different over in England than we experienced over here in terms of Zeppelin and their popularity and influence. It always was different over there, for many bands and acts. But over here, it's not about fan boyish attitude geezer, er taro, er badgeholder still - it's about facts and the facts are classic rock radio was at its peak in the mid to late 80's and Zeppelin ruled the roost in that genre, by far. End of story.

...Walter, and Strider very well observed point of view; the perception of Led Zeppelin in England and North America and Rest of the World has it's own representation..but Without question, the Universal Truth of the Matter is that it is only once in a lifetime that 4 visionary musicians came together for a common purpose... no matter how generations change with their own ambitions, they are intelligent enough to know the purpose of VIisonary Led Zeppelin, it is undeniable...many fads, experiments.... Jimmy Page and VIsion has taken effect... I have also experienced this in the 80's...it was "train off its' tracks" as best as I could describe it...

The Honeydrippers right? I also saw him on that tour at Manchester Poly. I enjoyed it immensely. Even then though he was dismissive of Zeppelin. I remember him saying something like " No songs from that band so don't ask me to do one " Some things never change eh Bob? Disingenuous from the outset

No pre honeydrippers solo tour for the first lp which title escapes me.The bar of Treforest Polytechnic.

There were few in attendance but Mr Lewis was there.It is the back of beyond and approx 150 miles from his house

and despite what the Americans on the board think hardly anyone was interested! This kind of beleif in all things Zep gets him his front row ticket in my opinion.

No pre honeydrippers solo tour for the first lp which title escapes me.The bar of Treforest Polytechnic.

There were few in attendance but Mr Lewis was there.It is the back of beyond and approx 150 miles from his house

and despite what the Americans on the board think hardly anyone was interested! This kind of beleif in all things Zep gets him his front row ticket in my opinion.

No I think you wrong mate. It was billed as The Honeydrippers and I think his backing band were some Rhythm and Blues outfit. His first tour as a solo artist was a fairly biggish tour in 1982 . I saw him at The Manchester Apollo both nights. The first show was so-so, the second night was awful. He slagged our city off as he was introducing "worse than Detroit" and he then walked on and straight off for the second encore. I thought he was lucky to get one!

But i was bored by then and me and my then girlfriend went back to the pub

it's about facts and the facts are classic rock radio was at its peak in the mid to late 80's and Zeppelin ruled the roost in that genre, by far. End of story.

I Live in New England and Led Zeppelin was on the radio all the time during the 80's, 90's and to this day you can still find Get The Led Out on numerous stations. I don't think there was a time when Zeppelin wasn't in regular rotation on the radio.

Archived