Jimmy Page - Sound Tracks: Box Set

sam_webmaster

I still have both original recordings on vinyl. Used to listen to them quite a bit. However I also hoped for a follow up in some form. But as the years passed and jimmys's musical output waned- I lost interest in his long past solo work. While it was great music in its time I'm disappointed that he never reached those heights again.

I remember I heard the Japanese DW2 vinyl a couple of times in the early 90's, a friend had it, but I don't remember the exact track names that were different from the non-Japanese release, There were different Jill's Theme tracks and maybe even Carole's Theme-Strings was on it. So am I correct assuming that those tracks are all on the DW2 Expansion now? Does anyone know the track list from the Japanese DW2 that I'm referring to? After having listened to the DW2 Expansion and then a little later listening to The Firm - United Kingdom just made Jimmy's guitar playing at that time sound fresh!

"Baby I miss You So" is something I'd expect from the upcoming ITTOD bonus disc. Does anyone know the story behind this song? Also this set is still missing parts of "Big Band Sax and Violence" found on the original DW soundtrack. Not important really, but it's worth noting.

Even though the wife and I are going to listen to all 4 LP's on Thursday evening, over a bottle of wine, I snuck some audio peaks today while she is at work, and I have to preliminarily agree with juxtiphi that these are delicious and vibrant remasters. On the face of it, I give them higher marks than the new Zep sets. Amazing stuff, so far. It would appear that there was more effort and consideration given to every detail of the soundtracks than there was to the Zep studio releases.

Even though the wife and I are going to listen to all 4 LP's on Thursday evening, over a bottle of wine, I snuck some audio peaks today while she is at work, and I have to preliminarily agree with juxtiphi that these are delicious and vibrant remasters. On the face of it, I give them higher marks than the new Zep sets. Amazing stuff, so far. It would appear that there was more effort and consideration given to every detail of the soundtracks than there was to the Zep studio releases.

Absolutely agree. I can't get enough of "Hypnotizing Ways", "City Sirens", "Who's To Blame", "Prelude", "The Chase", "Carole's Theme"(clean, tasty acoustic!), and "A Shadow In The City" (amazing piece)...the production on "Shadow In The City" cranked up on Neuman KH120 monitors is mindblowing and so musical, what an underrated album D2 is! The best remaster Page has ever done IMO. LF is really cool too, it contains early theremin and sonic treatment experiments that will make the hair on the back of your ball bag stand up! Even Page's non-guitar noises have attitude and structure, he's more of a soundsmith than merely an axeman...

I would love to see a remastered package set of The Firm, The Firm - Mean Business, Outrider, and Coverdale-Page next. My friend asked Jimmy at the NYC book signing when he was going to remaster the 2 Firm albums, and Page smiled and nodded enthusiastically said "Yeah!, Yeah!" as if he dug the idea...

What does everyone here think of "Country Sandwich"?

Love it to bits. Just when I get a little tired of hearing Jimmy bending the same notes in his solos, suddenly he jumps out with a gem that makes you remember the scope of his talents. It's hard not to think that Jimmy was a country and western guitarist for his entire career, as he plays with such authenticity. Hot Dog meets All My Love, meets Going to California. Very cool indeed. Minor Sketch is cool too. Listened to DW2 and the DW2 Expansion disc and it was all fantastic. Better than the Zep sets IMHO, and if you are willing to be a student of Jimmy's evolution, this is critical listening and ownership.

This just keeps getting better and better. As I listen to the Death Wish tracks I can hear a bunch of tiny pieces from Zeppelin songs

Seems Jimmy is willing to lift from Led Zeppelin as well. During Lucifer Rising (early mix) I can hear bits of Friends being lightly strummed in there. In the Death Wish tracks I can hear bits of Dazed, Friends, Rain Song, Hots on For Nowhere, Stairway To heaven and I'm Gonna Crawl. There may be more.

The alternate versions are quite different, So much good music here!. :standup_bass::accordian::guitar_mood::elvis2::drumz::piano::banana:

All the alternates are excellent! combine this with the outtakes on the Death Wish II boot and you've got even more awesomeness!! . The instrumental Who's To Blame is great! Even though I like the song its so much better without the lyrics . This is really bringing me back to my teen years when I wore out the grooves on my Death Wish II album.

Anybody remember vinyl! :watchingyou:

I went right to the alternative discs first. I fully enjoy them both. Jill's Orchestral Theme and Alternate Jill's Theme were previously released on a Japanese DW 2 only in the past I believe, great listening. I have always liked the tracks without lyrics from DW2. 9M1 is The Chase, it's sounds different, the Sol Symphonic plays it "heavier', like it! The alternative City Sirens is great to hear, it sounds fresh! Pretty neat to hear anything alternative from DW2, and Baby I Miss You So is no exception. Hey Mama/Swinging Sax is a good listen, love that track. Carole's Theme/Strings is a very nice listen, I believe that track was previously released on the Japanese DW2 in the past too. Prelude sounds sweet. Country Sandwich is neat how it starts off with the Sol Symphonic, very cool hearing Jimmy Page playing this. A Minor Sketch is very cool.

On the LR-The Second Coming, I like the early mix version better that the later one, and Sonic Textures:Earth, Air, Fire, Water and Ether are all very, very cool, you hear a lot of stuff you hear when Jimmy would do his solo in Zeppelin, a sonic trip! I love this release!

I wasn't going to get this, just put my order in for the four CD set.....but £8.50 postage...kinell.

It better be worth it or I'll blame you lot for tempting me with your all your positive comments :lol:

"Baby I miss You So" is something I'd expect from the upcoming ITTOD bonus disc. Does anyone know the story behind this song? Also this set is still missing parts of "Big Band Sax and Violence" found on the original DW soundtrack. Not important really, but it's worth noting.

I'm glad to see some more people posting their opinions on this great release.

I do have to disagree that Baby I Miss You So would not be a good addition to the ITTOD companion disc, maybe for the CODA release but that's a big maybe as its not Led Zeppelin.

What piece is missing from Big Band Sax and Violence?

I have the original Death Wish II album and the track times are almost identical with only a scant 1 or 2 seconds difference per track.

The Track "Main Title (Big Band Sax and Violence)" is just Who's To Blame sans vocals. In the outtakes there are three tracks,

Big band Intro: 59 seconds, which starts of with a bit of high hat from The Chase and then becomes a different take on jam sandwich which seems to be a reprise.

Violence: 2:30 is also a different take on Jam Sandwich focusing on guitar.

Sax: 2:35 also a different take on Jam Sandwich but focusing on the saxophone.

My question is why does the Track, Main Title have Big Band Sax and Violence in parenthesis if its not related to the parts mentioned above.

I wasn't going to get this, just put my order in for the four CD set.....but £8.50 postage...kinell.

It better be worth it or I'll blame you lot for tempting me with your all your positive comments :lol:

I doubt you will be disappointed but I will say this. You need to listen and re-listen to the Lucifer Rising stuff. People complain Oh its just a weird soundtrack but with this release you can hear so many more details that it makes it far more worthy as a piece for repeated listening over one and done.

The postie has just brought delivered my order, only placed it just over 36 hours ago, I'll give this a blast a bit later, just got to take the missus out she wants to buy (another) pair of shoes.

I'm glad to see some more people posting their opinions on this great release.

I do have to disagree that Baby I Miss You So would not be a good addition to the ITTOD companion disc, maybe for the CODA release but that's a big maybe as its not Led Zeppelin.

What piece is missing from Big Band Sax and Violence?

I have the original Death Wish II album and the track times are almost identical with only a scant 1 or 2 seconds difference per track.

The Track "Main Title (Big Band Sax and Violence)" is just Who's To Blame sans vocals. In the outtakes there are three tracks,

Big band Intro: 59 seconds, which starts of with a bit of high hat from The Chase and then becomes a different take on jam sandwich which seems to be a reprise.

Violence: 2:30 is also a different take on Jam Sandwich focusing on guitar.

Sax: 2:35 also a different take on Jam Sandwich but focusing on the saxophone.

My question is why does the Track, Main Title have Big Band Sax and Violence in parenthesis if its not related to the parts mentioned above.

The only part of BBS&V on this box set is the last minute of "Swinging Sax". The rest of BBS&V is not on this release.

The only part of BBS&V on this box set is the last minute of "Swinging Sax". The rest of BBS&V is not on this release.

So where is it supposed to be? I have the original release and it's not on there.

Then you don't have the original release. By original release, I don't mean the 2011 reissue.

I found It! I knew I had the original release and by original I mean the vinyl I bought back in 1987. I knew something was wrong though, Back when I got my first computer (in 2000) and learned how to download stuff I had picked up a rip of the Death Wish cd and my memory always told me there was something missing, at the time I didn't have a turntable to compare.

I wonder why he replaced BBSV with the instrumental version of Who's To Blame? Why not include both?

Because BBSV

a,sounds like the alien band in the first star wars film

b, sounds like a casio ringtone

c, is shit (apologies to whoever i offend in advance)

Because BBSV

a,sounds like the alien band in the first star wars film

b, sounds like a casio ringtone

c, is shit (apologies to whoever i offend in advance)

This. Jimmy was never very happy about the synth-sax, and rightly so, as that was an act of convenience that has not aged well.

For someone like me who loved the soundtrack from the time it was first released and played it so many times and enjoyed it so much, I have always thought BBS&V fit the character of the soundtrack too well, so much that it is hard to imagine it without it. Of course Jimmy felt the same as some of you guys, he must not have liked it, but like I say, for someone who had played that album over and over and loved it, you'd want it to be there. BBS&V is one of the most memorable tracks on there, a favorite for me I'd go so far to say. Well, the whole soundtrack is a favorite.

Hmmm, Just caught a bit of OTHAFA in Jimmy's strumming in the alternate take of Lucifer Rising. Still listening, loving even more. Has anyone else still got a chubby for this stuff?

Right now I'm sitting in the record library, polishing off a bottle of Canadian Club, with the wife. My current chubby is for Black Sabbath "13", but I get what you are talking about re: the JP soundtracks. Next up is both sides of the Clasiic Records' edition of In Through the Out Door. Yum.

image_zpssj0ejay6.jpg

Archived