What type of strings do you use and why?

ScarletMacaw

Well I can play without looking, but I have a habit of looking. See what Eric Clapton does!

Something that's not come up is the scale length vs string tension aspect. Basically on strats and teles 09 gauge will feel about the same as 10's on gibsons and other short scale instruments. Short scale means 24.75 inches vs the 25.5 of strats etc. It's the same as stretching a rubber band, the longer you stretch it the tauter it is, simple physics. I used to have Les Paul deluxe that I mostly played with 10s. Then I moved on to a telecaster and found I couldn't bend as easily, so I started using a hybrid set 9's for the plain strings and 10's for the wound strings. These days I'm using a short scale guitar with 11's, but don't do much bending.

Regarding string brands I find they sound different. Guitars are also different in the way they react. I have a tele that sounds good with almost anything, but the afore-mentioned Les Paul would sound dead or somehow off with certain brands of strings. Like everything in the finer points of guitar playing you just have to experiment and find what works for you.

Good Post!!!

I'm not looking to develop "stage presence"; I'm pretty sure my guitar playing is going to be limited to my apartment and maybe Central Park. :0

I did try the Fast Fret--some gunk came off of my strings, although they still seem dirty. It is easier to play now (the acoustic).

• 2 weeks later...

I use;

Ernie Ball Regular Slinky on one of my Les Paul guitars for most songs.

Gauges .010 .013 .017 .026 .036 .046

Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky on my other LP for Dropped D tunings.

Gauges .012 .016 .024p .032 .044 .056

+1 on the Ernie Ball Regular Slinky. I use them on my Les Paul as well. The 10's feel great on my fingers. I use 9's on my Strat though. My three acoustics all have D'Addario Phosphor Bronze EJ16's (.012-.053 on them). So to sum it up, for acoustic, I recommend the 12 guage Phosphor Bronze's, but I would totally recommend the Regular Slinky's for electric. They jut feel great. I've also heard that those are the strings Pagey used.... :huh: Hmmm.....

Edited by BronYrAur5231

• 4 weeks later...

I prefer heavier all around, .12 Elixir on my acoustics and either Ernie Ball .11 for the LP or .10 for the Fenders. I prefer heavier strings for the above reasons and developed my finger strength through a Randy Rhodes finger exercise which works wonders. When practicing, take about 10-20 min each session to use all four fingers of the fretting hand to hammer-on / pull off the full range of the neck, each string. I tell you this, when you can easily do this on all strings, all frets, you will have no problem doing deep bends and subtle vibrato even a step or more above on any string with a set of .11 plus you get the better tone and sustain of the heavier strings.

Although after re-stringing to the lighter gauge and thinking it was so great to bend more easily, I now realize the lighter gauge strings are harder on my fingers and it's very easy to go sharp or flat inadvertently. Thanks for the exercise tip, IpMan.

I prefer heavier all around, .12 Elixir on my acoustics and either Ernie Ball .11 for the LP or .10 for the Fenders. I prefer heavier strings for the above reasons and developed my finger strength through a Randy Rhodes finger exercise which works wonders. When practicing, take about 10-20 min each session to use all four fingers of the fretting hand to hammer-on / pull off the full range of the neck, each string. I tell you this, when you can easily do this on all strings, all frets, you will have no problem doing deep bends and subtle vibrato even a step or more above on any string with a set of .11 plus you get the better tone and sustain of the heavier strings.

^ this... Its painful time consuming... But to be good its what it takes

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Mine sounds like this, strings on for about 10 weeks..       https://dylanpatrik.bandcamp.com/track/can-you-feel-it    I think I can hold out a couple.few more weeks before i re-string... but it sounds less like a sitar when the strings are fresh.  

Edited by LurksReturnington
becuz im getting paid to edit my posts.. actually no.

On 10/27/2017 at 12:59 AM, LurksReturnington said:

Ernie Ball 'regular Slinkys' (10s). I bot an $11 in-hole accoustic pick up on Amazon and turned my 1969 Stella Harmony cowboy guitar into a noisy but stringy electric. These can sound pretty good for a few weeks if your friends aren't playing it with resin on their fingertips. 

Yep, the EB 10's or 11's regular slinky are my go to strings as well for electric except for my guitar I use exclusively for slide...I use 13's on those.

My acoustic strings are alway's Elixir 12's, nice full, resonant sound but can still bend pretty well.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I use Elixer 10 gauge and D’Addario Flatwounds depending on the guitar. I use LaBella and D’Addario tape wounds on bass. Elixer for Acoustic too.

I would like to ask the forum a question. I have done numerous searches and cannot find out what bass strings JPJ used. I read an interview where he said he never changed them till he got the Alembic. Also what year and model Fender bass.

Can anyone lend a JPJ fan a hand?

Thanks and glad I found this forum!

Pat

1 hour ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Gibson- GHS Boomers 10-52

Tele- Ernie Ball extra light

I'm starting to stray away from Ernie Ball though, I've noticed their strings start to corrode quicker than others.

My god man, you're right, I did not think about it until you mentioned it. My #1 & #2 electrics (Tele & LP respectively) I switch out the strings every two weeks or so but on my other guitars that don't get as much play, yes.

• 5 months later...

i am relatively new to playing & had my first string change & set up on my Mexican strat. Now i have super slinky Ernie Ball 9-42 on it & it is like playing a different guitar. At the moment i don"t want to even take my Les Paul out of the case right now & really looking forward to getting it set up & new strings