Your Led Zeppelin live recording dreams come true

NealKenneth

Jimmy Page announces the release of a new Led Zeppelin album

Previously believed not to have been professionally recorded, this incredible performance was secretly captured on 24 tracks and is of the highest quality. To preserve historical value, the full show (warts and all) will be released without any cuts, fading in three minutes before the first note of warmups and fading out three minutes past the last "Goodnight!"

Your dream has come true! What show is it and why did you choose this show?

When asked if this would be the last live release by Led Zeppelin, Jimmy said he might dive back into the vaults one day to make a compilation of nearby nights (like How the West Was Won), but did not indicate which run it would be.

You can scarcely believe it! What neighboring shows would you most want to hear compiled into one amazing performance? Earls Court? LA 1977?

Let me know below! I am curious to know what are people's "holy grails" of Led Zeppelin live.

Jimmy Page announces the release of a new Led Zeppelin album

Previously believed not to have been professionally recorded, this incredible performance was secretly captured on 24 tracks and is of the highest quality. To preserve historical value, the full show (warts and all) will be released without any cuts, fading in three minutes before the first note of warmups and fading out three minutes past the last "Goodnight!"

Your dream has come true! What show is it and why did you choose this show?

When asked if this would be the last live release by Led Zeppelin, Jimmy said he might dive back into the vaults one day to make a compilation of nearby nights (like How the West Was Won), but did not indicate which run it would be.

You can scarcely believe it! What neighboring shows would you most want to hear compiled into one amazing performance? Earls Court? LA 1977?

Let me know below! I am curious to know what are people's "holy grails" of Led Zeppelin live.

So did JP really announce a new live album?

I've narrowed it down to two shows that I find too difficult to choose between. As an aside, I think that was the first time I've used all three forms of the word "to/too/two" in one sentence.

21 July 1973 in Providence, RI

This was maybe the thirtieth or so show that I listened to, but from the first time I listened to it, I knew it was special. If you asked me today, I would say it was my favorite show. There are others that haven taken the top spot for a week or two, but ever since I found it, Providence has always found a way back there again. If even a soundboard showed up, I would probably have a heart attack.

31 August 1970 in Milwaukee, WI

The band is flawless, with Plant in particular putting on a transcendent performance, possibly the best of his career. Heartbreaker...wow. This is definitely the peak of that tour in my opinion, 19 September in New York never did much for me.

For compilations, it gets a little bit easier. I would be very interested in hearing something created from early 1969 such as 24 to 27 April in San Francisco or 2 to 5 January at Whiskey a Go Go, but what I'd most like to hear is 25 to 31 May 1977 in Landover, MD and Greensboro, NC We don't have anything from the final night, but I can't imagine it being anything but great. The 28th has my favorite Kashmir ever and the 30th has one of my favorite Achille's Last Stand, partly because Bonzo isn't overplaying the songs like he sometimes would during the LA run.

27th April 1977 or it might be 26th? Can't remember off the top of my head. That would be cool. Probably be a '73 show, but it would be cool if it was a early '75 show where they play the Wanton Song or When the Levee Breaks, that would be cool.

:blink: Have you listened to the whole show?

Just the part we have (less than an hour.) Last time was this evening, in fact, incredible show.

If you're referring to if I've heard 19 September, then yes, of course. Who hasn't? I've only listened to it two or three times though, because it really starts to drag about halfway in my opinion.

I a probably in the minority here but I would love to hear a good quality release of the July 24th 1977 Oakland show...or even better a pro-shot of this show. I know it is not an amazing performance but damn I am curious to how the band reacted on stage after the infamous beat down the day before.

Other than that, those Jan 69 Whiskey gigs, anything from 68', Seattle or Vancouver 75', and of course any of the NY or LA 77' gigs.

Just the part we have (less than an hour.) Last time was this evening, in fact, incredible show.

If you're referring to if I've heard 19 September, then yes, of course. Who hasn't? I've only listened to it two or three times though, because it really starts to drag about halfway in my opinion.

What about WLL-HMMT? One of the best hours in the history of Zep imo. I implore you to give this portion of the show another shot. It doesn't drag, that's for sure!

What about WLL-HMMT? One of the best hours in the history of Zep imo. I implore you to give this portion of the show another shot. It doesn't drag, that's for sure!

For any other band, it would probably be their finest hour, but this is Led Zeppelin we're talking about. Based on what little we have from that tour, I'm guessing they peaked earlier. There were eight shows between 17 and 31 August 1970, of which the only one we have is Tulsa (a titan!) The best night of the tour could have been Milwaukee, could have been the next night in Seattle, who knows?

In my opinion, it wasn't 19 September. Whenever I listen to it, I feel like they are forcing it more than they'd like to. The playing is still incredible, but they just sound stretched a bit thin. Was it because it was their second show that day? Was it stress from Hendrix's death? Was it the rowdy crowd? Was it because they felt like they had to make a "grand finale" to finish the tour, even though their hearts weren't in it? It could have been a combination of all of those things for all we know. The point is, they just sound a little distracted to me and it effects their performances enough that, on a tour of this caliber, I'd rather hear something else.

For any other band, it would probably be their finest hour, but this is Led Zeppelin we're talking about. Based on what little we have from that tour, I'm guessing they peaked earlier. There were eight shows between 17 and 31 August 1970, of which the only one we have is Tulsa (a titan!) The best night of the tour could have been Milwaukee, could have been the next night in Seattle, who knows?

In my opinion, it wasn't 19 September. Whenever I listen to it, I feel like they are forcing it more than they'd like to. The playing is still incredible, but they just sound stretched a bit thin. Was it because it was their second show that day? Was it stress from Hendrix's death? Was it the rowdy crowd? Was it because they felt like they had to make a "grand finale" to finish the tour, even though their hearts weren't in it? It could have been a combination of all of those things for all we know. The point is, they just sound a little distracted to me and it effects their performances enough that, on a tour of this caliber, I'd rather hear something else.

:rolleyes: Ok dude...

Archived