Should the three remaining members of Led Zeppelin be knighted?

andyc

Should the three remaining members of Led Zeppelin be knighted?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Should they receive MBE/OBE's for services to music

• Yes
    • No

You have to get to the CBE before receiving Knighthood. Eric Clapton has a Commander medal; he's next in line for a Sir Eric title. Jimmy's two medals away from being a Sir.

Sir Jimmy... repeat 3 times over and the name grows on ya. Sounds like a spice or an herb.

:rolleyes:

I said no because Jimmy got his award for more than music. His OBE was for all of his contribution to helping Brazilian children. The lifestyle these guys had is hardly setting an example, so I don't think they deserve to be knighted for it. They are worthy people, but this doesn't seem fitting.

When the Queen met Jimmy Page (and Eric Clapton and Brian May) she asked "so what do you do(for a living)?" :huh:

:hysterical: Ah, yes. The little people, who must have a trade to support themselves.

Wouldn't it be funny if she went to her room, smoked a doob and put on some Zeppelin?

Not a Knighthood. Just an honour.

Totally different.

Just to clarify this, only the top two highest ranks qualify for being knighted.

* Knight Grand Cross (GBE) or Dame Grand Cross (GBE)

* Knight Commander (KBE) or Dame Commander (DBE)

* Commander (CBE)

* Officer (OBE)

* Member (MBE)

Only the two highest ranks entail admission into knighthood, an honour allowing the recipient to use the title 'Sir' (male) or 'Dame' (female) before their name. Honorary knighthoods, given to individuals who are not nationals of a realm where Queen Elizabeth II is Head of State, permit usage of the honour as a post-nominal but not as a title before their name. These recipients are classified as honorary members of the Order they receive, and do not contribute to the numbers restricted to that Order as full members do.

• 2 weeks later...

:wtf:

New Year's honours list announced

OBE for Kylie Minogue for services to music! :

sevices to music. my god, ive heard it all now........ :wtf:

Jethro Tull frontman Ian Anderson (MBE) and Jazzie B (OBE).

Of course, nominees can refuse honours without any official announcement, so it's possible that members of Led Zeppelin have been offered honours in the past and said "no thanks", and we'd never know. Jimmy's OBE was for his charity work, of course.

Just to clarify this, only the top two highest ranks qualify for being knighted.

* Knight Grand Cross (GBE) or Dame Grand Cross (GBE)

* Knight Commander (KBE) or Dame Commander (DBE)

* Commander (CBE)

* Officer (OBE)

* Member (MBE)

Only the two highest ranks entail admission into knighthood, an honour allowing the recipient to use the title 'Sir' (male) or 'Dame' (female) before their name. Honorary knighthoods, given to individuals who are not nationals of a realm where Queen Elizabeth II is Head of State, permit usage of the honour as a post-nominal but not as a title before their name. These recipients are classified as honorary members of the Order they receive, and do not contribute to the numbers restricted to that Order as full members do.

What's the point of it? I'm not trying to be an ass, I really want to know. This is interesting. Is it just for the tradition, or do people still like to be called Sir this and Sir that? I wonder if Paul McCartney or Elton John actually expect people to call them that. Somehow I doubt it. What happens after you get that honor? Do you have to show up at royal things sometimes, or do they give you a plaque or what.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
What's the point of it? I'm not trying to be an ass, I really want to know. This is interesting. Is it just for the tradition, or do people still like to be called Sir this and Sir that? I wonder if Paul McCartney or Elton John actually expect people to call them that. Somehow I doubt it. What happens after you get that honor? Do you have to show up at royal things sometimes, or do they give you a plaque or what.

Hi Suz, its been a long time since we rock and rolled luv. ;)

The "Point Of It" my Dear is that a "Knight" under the "Rule of the Signior" which Edward III brought in to force in Scotland so that his Knights would move up to Scotland to populate the area, were allowed to be the first man to "De-Flower" any woman or girl on her Wedding night that lived or got Married in his Lordship's area or on his lands, awsome if your a Knight aye? ;)

And if Jimmy ever gets Knighted it doesnt mean all you girls should move to London W8 to get married OK. :lol:

Regards, Danny

PS. If they make Elton John a Knight in my area i'm moving on. :lol::buttsmack:

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

After the recent move by a British politician, Louise Mensch to put forward JP for a Knighthood, I have decided to put together a simple e-petition for fans to add their support to the idea.

I'm not sure if it will ever happen due to Jimmy's documented interest in the occult but nevertheless, I truly believe that he is as deserved as any of the other names from rock royalty to be bestowed to date, so, please feel free to register your backing at www.SirJimmyPage.com

Good luck Jimmy!

Well, there's a difference between being knighted, which is a KBE, and the MBE/OBE that you ask about in the poll question. I do think they should get OBE's for their contributions to music, but I can't speak as to whether they should be knighted or not. I don't know the protocol for that, or what the requirements would be and if they fulfill any of them.

Archived