Looking Ahead: the Next Three Releases - Presence ITTOD and Coda

Some of us wonder why Jimmy Page didn't release some of the already bootlegged stuff like the extended All My Love (and went for inferior mono mixes on the ITTOD companion disk instead) or the alternate When The Levee Breaks with additional vocals, etc. Jimmy said he wanted to avoid material that had come out on bootlegs, but at the same time he released quite a few tracks that were available on bootlegs before (like Sugar Mama, Friends and Four Sticks from India, Jennings Farm Blues, etc.). Maybe the answer is easy: Perhaps, for some of the bootlegged material, the actual multitrack masters were stolen and no longer at his disposal. I doubt he would have used material he could only lift from bootleg records for the companion disks.

This would also explain why some of the bootlegged stuff out there sounds extremely good (e.g. AML or WTLB, as mentioned above) whereas other bootlegged material (e.g. Sugar Mama) sounds like it is clearly from a copy several generations away from the master. For me, this seems the most likely explanation as to why Jimmy Page released some low interest stuff (mono mixes on ITTOD which are identical to the stereo mixes! Some very similar, almost identical mixes for LZ IV, etc.) instead of some more different, more interesting stuff. His explanation that he wanted to avoid bootlegged material sounds very thin and I believe he mentioned several times in the past that tapes were stolen from his house.

Views?

Some of us wonder why Jimmy Page didn't release some of the already bootlegged stuff like the extended All My Love (and went for inferior mono mixes on the ITTOD companion disk instead) or the alternate When The Levee Breaks with additional vocals, etc. Jimmy said he wanted to avoid material that had come out on bootlegs, but at the same time he released quite a few tracks that were available on bootlegs before (like Sugar Mama, Friends and Four Sticks from India, Jennings Farm Blues, etc.). Maybe the answer is easy: Perhaps, for some of the bootlegged material, the actual multitrack masters were stolen and no longer at his disposal. I doubt he would have used material he could only lift from bootleg records for the companion disks.

This would also explain why some of the bootlegged stuff out there sounds extremely good (e.g. AML or WTLB, as mentioned above) whereas other bootlegged material (e.g. Sugar Mama) sounds like it is clearly from a copy several generations away from the master. For me, this seems the most likely explanation as to why Jimmy Page released some low interest stuff (mono mixes on ITTOD which are identical to the stereo mixes! Some very similar, almost identical mixes for LZ IV, etc.) instead of some more different, more interesting stuff. His explanation that he wanted to avoid bootlegged material sounds very thin and I believe he mentioned several times in the past that tapes were stolen from his house.

Views?

Good point, sounds reasonable.

So what we got to look forward to now, other than listening to all of them again, read the books, look at the picture and admire the all round packaging

I did a quick and dirty calculation and I think the record company revenues for these re-releases will top about $9m per album

So what we got to look forward to now,

Hopefully another live release at some point- a complete Earls Court '75 or Knebworth set being the most obvious choices...

Views?

That makes total sense, and fits with Page's standard of what is and isn't officially releaseable when it comes to the live archive.

noted British Zep collector Andy Adams ( editor of the short lived Early Days and Latter days) wrote an interesting article on the mysterieus discovery of a set of annotated tape boxes (2" multitrack and 1/4 inch two track) around the time Scorpio released Studio Daze and Jennigs Farm Blues.

These boxed revealed the source of the two aforementioned boot CD classics. Proximity's Hugh Jones completed the topic later on and discovered the 'found' archive tapes were returned later, just like the Olympic 68 multi's (prime source for Scorpio's 'Olympic Gold'.) Seemingly the 'finder' asked an excruciating amount of cash for the tapes and eventualy settled for a significant lower sum to give the producers time to copy the multi's on DAT.

Andy Adams already discovered that 'the Hook' was used as working title for the marvelous basic track of All of my Love on Studio Daze

One of the source tapes - one of the baker's dozen June 72 reels recorded live at L.A forum and Long Beach Arena- included Moby Dick...and that track got only in circulation only two years later (on Dynamite Studio's One More Daze).

Umm...

Which some folks (myself included) don't think really came from the Presence era. "10 Ribs And All" seems to have more of an In Through The Out Door sound and feel to it, or maybe the '74 Physical Graffiti sessions. It also doesn't really make sense that Jonesy would bust out a piano for this piece but completely ignore the keyboards altogether for every other track they recorded in Munich? Don't get me wrong- "10 Ribs" is an interesting song-in-progress, I just sorta question the provenance...after all, it's not like Jimmy Page hasn't put down misinformation as far as recording dates go before; shit, look at the credits on Coda :lol:

Archived