Blade Runner Sequel with Harrison Ford is coming

The Rover

Academy Award Nominee Denis Villeneuve In Talks To Direct Blade Runner Sequel
Academy Award nominee Denis Villeneuve (Prisoners, Incendies) is in negotiations to direct the Blade Runner sequel for Alcon Entertainment. Read the full Blade Runner sequel director press release after the jump.
DENIS VILLENEUVE IN NEGOTIATIONS TO DIRECT “BLADE RUNNER” SEQUEL
HARRISON FORD TO REPRISE ORIGINAL ROLE AS RICK DECKARD
RIDLEY SCOTT TO EXECUTIVE PRODUCE
LOS ANGELES, CA, FEBRUARY 26, 2015 — Harrison Ford will reprise his celebrated role of Rick Deckard in the sequel to Alcon Entertainment’s BLADE RUNNER and Academy Award nominee Denis Villeneuve to (Prisoners, Incendies) is in negotiations to direct, it was announced by Alcon co-founders and co-CEO’s Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson.
Film is scheduled to start principle photography in summer of 2016. Hampton Fancher (co-writer of the original) and Michael Green have written the original screenplay based on an idea by Fancher and Ridely Scott.
The story takes place several decades after the conclusion of the 1982 original.
State Johnson and Kosove: “We are honored that Harrison is joining us on this journey with Denis Villeneuve, who is a singular talent, as we experienced personally on Prisoners. Hampton and Michael, with Ridley Scott, have crafted a uniquely potent and faithful sequel to one of the most universally celebrated films of all time, and we couldn’t be more thrilled with this amazing, creative team.”
Ford will next be seen in The Age of Adaline for Lionsgate and the highly anticipated upcoming Star Wars for Walt Disney Pictures. Recent releases include the Warner Bros./Legendary box office hit 42.
Villeneuve most recently directed the crime thriller Sicario, staring Emily Blunt, Josh Brolin, and Benecio Del Toro for Black Label Media and Lionsgate. He also directed Canada’s Oscar nominated French language film Incendies, and Alcon Entertainment’s critically acclaimed Prisoners, staring Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal.
Alcon Entertainment acquired the film, television and ancillary franchise rights to BLADE RUNNER in 2011 from producer Bud Yorkin to produce prequels and sequels to the iconic science-fiction thriller. Yorkin will serve as a producer on the sequel along with Kosove and Johnson. Cynthia Sikes Yorkin will co-produce.
Frank Giustra and Tim Gamble, CEO’s of Thunderbird Films, will serve as executive producers.
Among its many distinctions, BLADE RUNNER has been singled out as one of the greatest movies of all time by innumerable polls and media outlets, and overwhelmingly as the greatest science-fiction film of all time by a majority of genre publications.
Released by Warner Bros., BLADE RUNNER was adapted by Hampton Fancher and David Peoples from Philip K. Dick’s novel “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?” and was directed by Ridley Scott following his landmark Alien.” The film was nominated for two Academy Awards (Best Visual Effects, and Best Art Direction).
BLADE RUNNER was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant.” The film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry in 1993 and is frequently taught in university courses. In 2007, it was named the 2nd most visually influential film of all time by the Visual Effects Society.
ABOUT ALCON ENTERTAINMENT
Co-founders and co-CEO’s Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson founded Alcon Entertainment in 1997 with partner Frederick W. Smith, the Founder, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of FedEx. Warner Bros. distributes Alcon’s motion pictures via the companies’ long-term output distribution agreement.
Alcon has financed and produced, and/or co-financed/produced 29 films to date, including “My Dog Skip,” the Academy Award nominated Best Picture “The Blind Side,” which earned Sandra Bullock a Best Actress Oscar; “The Book of Eli,” starring Denzel Washington and Gary Oldman; “Insomnia,” starring Al Pacino, Robin Williams, and Hilary Swank and directed by Chris Nolan; “The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants;” “P.S. I Love You,” starring Hilary Swank; the critically acclaimed “Prisoners,” a dramatic thriller directed by Denis Villeneuve starring Hugh Jackman, Jake Gyllenhaal, Viola Davis, Melissa Leo, Terrance Howard and Paul Dano, and the family hit “Dolphin Tale 2,” a sequel to its original starring Morgan Freeman, Harry Connick Jr., Ashley Judd and Kris Kristofferson. Alcon is currently in production on “Point Break,” a reimagining of the classic action movie filming on four continents starring Edgar Ramirez, Luke Bracey, and Ray Winstone. The Company is also developing a sequel to “Blade Runner” with Ridley Scott.
Alcon Television Group is currently producing a four-hour mini-series documentary for HBO about the life and times of Frank Sinatra, directed Oscar-winning filmmaker Alex Gibney; and “The Expanse,” a space thriller for Syfy Network.

Perhaps it will be better without Ridley Scott - dont' get me wrong, the original movie is iconic and very much at the top of my all time favorite list, but Scott messed up the prequel to Alien to such a huge degree by ignoring the plot of the original film and nature of the alien creature, that I would not trust him now to do the sequel to Blade Runner with any sympathy to the original film.

Perhaps it will be better without Ridley Scott - dont' get me wrong, the original movie is iconic and very much at the top of my all time favorite list, but Scott messed up the prequel to Alien to such a huge degree by ignoring the plot of the original film and nature of the alien creature, that I would not trust him now to do the sequel to Blade Runner with any sympathy to the original film.

Prometheus 2 on its way. http://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/178826/20150226/prometheus-2-alien-5-release-ridley-scott-film.htm

I see Scott wants to get away from the xenomorph in Prometheus 2 - I do hate it when marvelously talented people grow to hate their own superb creations and upset their loyal following in the process.

(I wonder why Robert Plant came to mind whilst I was typing the line above!?!)

I never bought into the whole Deckard is a replicant idea and this is why: If Deckard was a replicant, why was he so weak an breakable compared to the other replicants. Seems to me if you want a replicant Blade Runner to hunt other replicants down you would make him one bad motherfucker, not just human. Let's take the premise that Tyrell decided to make him that way so he would not realize he is a replicant and go rogue, well, than why not make him almost indestructible but not any stronger than a regular human, that way his enhanced constitution could be explained and problem solved.

No, I think he was human, and that is what made the premise great, a human being who came to sympathize and understand the replicants, vs. an un-aware replicant who simply finds his humanity. After all, Batty was in fact the later, he could have killed Deckard but chose not to because he sympathized with humanity. It in effect became the perfect circle of understanding.

Regarding the sequel, I will be anticipating this and have high hopes the new director will bring good things. Scott did seriously fuck up Prometheus, how he came to construct such a moronic mess is beyond me. The story line was amazing, even a film school student could have put together a better, more cohesive movie. It really is puzzling.

I never bought into the whole Deckard is a replicant idea and this is why: If Deckard was a replicant, why was he so weak an breakable compared to the other replicants. Seems to me if you want a replicant Blade Runner to hunt other replicants down you would make him one bad motherfucker, not just human. Let's take the premise that Tyrell decided to make him that way so he would not realize he is a replicant and go rogue, well, than why not make him almost indestructible but not any stronger than a regular human, that way his enhanced constitution could be explained and problem solved.

No, I think he was human, and that is what made the premise great, a human being who came to sympathize and understand the replicants, vs. an un-aware replicant who simply finds his humanity. After all, Batty was in fact the later, he could have killed Deckard but chose not to because he sympathized with humanity. It in effect became the perfect circle of understanding.

Regarding the sequel, I will be anticipating this and have high hopes the new director will bring good things. Scott did seriously fuck up Prometheus, how he came to construct such a moronic mess is beyond me. The story line was amazing, even a film school student could have put together a better, more cohesive movie. It really is puzzling.

I also do not think Deckard is a rep and I have a bunch of reasons why but I need to get them all together in a neat little box before I post .

Not sure how I feel about this. The movie is unlike any SF flick before or after. Sort of reminds me of the animation (classic ??)

Heavy Metal, although BR is a total classic, HM is amazing but has some weak spots. The last Indiana Jones was weak, but IMO

Not really Harrison Ford's fault. A big problem is that most of the memorable characters are dead, it's not that easy to snap your

fingers and create viable new characters. There is always this struggle because in SF movies it's too easy to let the special

Effects take over. Although the first BR had it all, a real movie standing on it's own.

I also do not think Deckard is a rep and I have a bunch of reasons why but I need to get them all together in a neat little box before I post .

Sweet, I would really like to see your comment on this because I always believed BR was a very philosophical movie, that and I am sure I missed more than a few things.

I like the ideas about Deckard being a replicant - now I'm with the argument that he was not a replicant but human based on knowing the entire film, but there were some times in the first run through of the film where I wondered if him turning out to be a replicant was going to be a twist in the plot.

This is hard to do.

Here are the reasons why fans say Deckard was a rep.

The debate over Deckard's humanity started with the Police chief's dialogue where he tells Deckard that 6 skin jobs escaped and one got fried, that leaves 5. We know Deckard only retires 4 so Fans say Deckard is the 5th and that he has been reprogrammed as a BR.

Since all the nexus 6 reps have memory implants, Gaff is seen leaving origami figures at the scenes of retirement that relate to the implanted memories of the retired rep. This includes the unicorn Gaff leaves outside Deckard's apartment at the end. Fans also suggest that because Roy calls Deckard by name and saves his life he must know him. After the problem over the 5 reps started Scott tried to fix it by saying Deckard was one of them all along and saying that the cut dream sequence of the unicorn was his implanted memory.

Here are my reason for not buying it.

The police chief talks to Deckard like he knows him and I think he would have acted differently towards Deckard if he knew he was a rep. He wouldn't give it away to Deckard in his actions but it would be/should have been conveyed to us through his actions if you get my drift.

All the reps are seen with a weird light in their eyes right down to the owl but we never see this light in Deckards eyes.

As already mentioned Deckard doesn't have the physical strength of the reps.

How many memories would they have to implant in Deckard to make him believe he was BR. To me he knows too much and is far too familiar with his surroundings.

When Deckard tells the The police chief he's done the chief tells him there's one more referring to rachel but if Deckard is a rep who's going to retire him?

Now, we know the insep dates of the escaped reps, of the 4 Deckard retires only Leon has a significant amount left at just under 2 years, Pris and Roy literally have days, so, if Deckard is a rep what's his insep date? Since Tyrell states that Rachel is an experiment and has no insep date how long could Deckard have left to live? The others were already near their termination dates and that would have to include Deckard as a non special rep. "If" Deckard is a special rep then what is he doing fighting in the outer colonies with Roy and how could Tyrell (who went out of his way to set him up with Rachel) know he was coming back to earth?

I think that when they realized there was a small flub in the dialogue where I believe the chief was supposed to say 2 got fried but said one instead they went a little nuts trying to fix the mistake by saying Deckard is one of the reps and reusing Rachels cut dream sequence of the unicorn as Deckards instead to make it make some kind of sense but it doesn't. BTW the only rep who doesn't have an origami symbol is Rachel which is another reason why I think the unicorn was originally hers.

ICBW but here's a weird angle. I think the movie suggests that Tyrell may be a replicant, The hell you say,

Sebastian says Tyrell is a genius and that he has only beat him at chess once. If you know how to play chess then you know its about knowing what will happen several or in the case of a genius many moves ahead.

No genius would ever be fooled by his opponent sacrificing his queen the way Roy does in order to get checkmate on the very next move.

This is not really enough to suggest that Tyrell is a rep but there is one scene when Roy is entering Tyrell's chamber where we see a glimmer of that weird light in Tyrell's eye. Doesn't it make sense for a genius to have a replicant in his place to protect himself when its known that some escaped reps have been killing genetic designers? I mean if he can be fooled by a sacrificial queen and get mated on the next move how much of a genius can he be.

Is it Tyrell's goal to populate the world with replicants who are more human than human? If so it doesn't make sense to pair Deckard who isn't a special with Rachel who by all accounts could probably have children too, again it makes no sense if she cannot.

So...

Am here I am thinking I am the only one to think that Tyrell might be a replicant!

I found this article this morning and I was very surprised to see that they think its possible too.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/what-blade-runner-2-can-learn-from-successful-sci-fi-sequels-20150304

paste and go the link if you want to read the story. i dont know why the link won't work unless you paste and go.

And since we should remember an early idea for "Blade Runner" was that there were two Tyrells, it's possible he could be something else entirely, but definitively something

It's totally coincidental that they mentioned this as I never heard of the early idea they mention.

I hope they don't fug it all up.

• 2 years later...

I found "Blade Runner 2049" underwhelming but it looked good. Roger Deakins has done amazing work for years and should have won for cinematography long before last night. This was kind of a career makeup award...similar to when the Academy gave Paul Newman his first Oscar for "Color of Money".

On 3/5/2018 at 3:23 PM, Strider said:

I found "Blade Runner 2049" underwhelming but it looked good. Roger Deakins has done amazing work for years and should have won for cinematography long before last night. This was kind of a career makeup award...similar to when the Academy gave Paul Newman his first Oscar for "Color of Money".

Newman was cheated in 82' as he should of won for Absence of Malice, not Henry Fonda. The only reason Fonda won was due to his age and the fact he himself was cheated at the 41' Academy Awards (Grapes of Wrath). Honorable mention goes to Burt Lancaster for Atlantic City that year. I remember watching the awards with my family and I was positive either Newman or Lancaster would win...I bet on Newman but just barely as IMO both Lancaster & Newman deserved the award. My dad said Fonda would win because he was 76 years old, had one foot in the grave and another on a banana peel. Dad was right.

Deakins is a great cinematographer, easily in the same camp as Alex Thompson and Phillipe Rousselot. Just a beautifully shot movie. The story, meh, though Ryan Gosling played the perfect android, completely emotionless and flat as a pancake. Oh wait, he was supposed to be a replicant (engineered human) with emotions and everything. My bad. Why the fuck they went with Goslings boring ass, one-dimensional performance after the nuanced performance of Rutger Hauer in the original I have no clue.

Archived