Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
ZosofanCMR

One Night Only: Led Zeppelin DVD Excerpts On the Big Screen

Anyone in the DFW area going? I'll be hitting the Frisco Square Cinemark, the showing is at 7:30.

I saw celebration day in Ct.... sounded and looked great...am skipping this only cuz I have seen dvd so many times...but if volume is right should be great for those going. Average age was 40-60 when i went No weed in the air but the audience clapped like it was a real concert... pretty cool... except for the person behind me that kept calling alison Krausss "Yoko"....look at the 2 of them in comparison as well as listen... I rest my case But the concert was a blast on the big screen

My wife and I are going to Knoxville, TN. I'm sure we have all seen most or all of the footage at one time or another but the theater sound will be great. And who would NOT want to see LZ on the big screen?

As a UT student, Knoxville is where I saw a midnight showing of The Song Remains the Same 40 years ago. It was a blast and is one of those rare occasions that I can remember & relive nearly every minute of the evening! Looking forward to tonight and hoping I (and everyone else attending) have even just a fraction of the fun I had back then.

On my way to the Greenville, SC showing! Probably the same stuff I've seen over and over...but who cares? It's Zeppelin on the big screen. I guess my question is why now? Why put this out now? I understand the O2 show, but why this and why now? This DVD was released 12 years ago.

Heading to Slidell, Louisiana for the show, can't wait! I am assuming they will play it loudly, if not, I'm sure there will be a few suggestions! ;)

Btw, this is my first LZ concert! ...I'll claim it any way I can!

well were back! was nice to see on the big screen! still they should have turned the volume UP!

IVE WATCHED PLENTY OF MOVIES IN THE SAME THEATER & the movies were much louder !

cincinnati is too concervative - sO LAME !

Went to the Amc @ Hall & Mound in Sterling heights MI...just came back. Even though i've watched the dvd a 1000 times, there's still something special about watching the greatest rock band ever with your fellow Zep brothers & sisters. Bonham rocks !

Noticed they cut out the Knebworth WLL break where they normally go into 50's mode....including Robert's little "uh uh uh" part to Jimmy. Never saw the "Mothership" dvd, so I noticed that cut immediately. Should have cut out the Swedish chick holding the misspelled Zep sign.

Edited by Bong-Man

It was fun to watch LZ on the big screen with fellow fans!! Walking up to the theater, I saw an imax sign and got excited, but no luck, it was shown on a regular screen. It has been about a year since I watched this footage, and I loved anticipating favorite parts and band moves. To watch them play live adds so much to the experience, I am always blown away by Bonzo's energy and Jimmy's hands...wow!! Our crowd was (I'm guessing) mostly 40-60 year olds with a few younger (and some children who attended with their parents).

We had great sound, very loud but not too loud. Decent turn out, at least 50 people, age range was teens to early 60's.

The crowd in the sound mix was at a nice loud level, that was very cool to hear.

Packed theatre and sound was cranked loud. Crowd was mostly 20-30 somethings. I was the oldest in the audience it seemed. Quite a few pre-teens and teens in the audience attending with their parents. Good enthusiasm with cheers and clapping after each song.

Wished they had let SIBLY play after Misty Mountain Hop instead of cutting it. Wished they had cut that annoying Earls Court girl with the misspelled banner. What an idiot.

Bonham and Jones sounded immense during IMTOD. So fucking good on the big screen with big sound. Release a Complete Earls Court before it's too late Jimmy!!!

Theater in Milford CT was about 75% full of middle aged men with a splattering of a few teens and women. My wife and I both thought it could've been a bit louder but nonetheless it sounded very clear and crisp. Some applause after a few songs the with loudest being after Kashmir. Very enjoyable time..the hour and a half flew by. While walking out one guy said to another "I told you In My Time of Dying would blow your ass off".

^^^ haha, I loved IMTOD, too... mindblowing! :) Strider, I missed SIBLY as well!

Kashmir was fantastic as was Going to California and Nobody's Fault But Mine.

I enjoyed STH, too. ...you see where this is going!

Really enjoyed the show in Knoxville, TN. I wish they would have played ALS from Knebworth and TUF from Earls Court but I understand why they weren't able to squeeze those in.

Los Angeles loves Led Zeppelin, that's for sure. With almost zero marketing and nothing on the theatre marquee announcing "Led Zeppelin: One Night Only", the Universal Citywalk 18 was able to nearly sell out the screening. I only counted two or three empty seats. There were about 10 or so other theatres in L.A. also showing this Led Zeppelin screening.

It was a crowd full of love for Led Zeppelin...properly rambunctious in spots and properly reverent in others. Some kids were getting their first eyeful of Led Zeppelin, I'm sure...especially on the big screen. I felt it could have been longer...I timed it at 86 minutes total. The Mothership DVD is around 105 minutes, so even more was cut than I expected.

Here is the program run down.

Various ads for upcoming Fathom events. Then 10 minutes before showtime (7:30pm) they played that "Rock and Roll" video that Led Zeppelin released a while back, with the Zeppelin blueprint drawings mixed with archival band footage. Right away, you could tell the theatre had the sound cranked to rock and roll levels. This wasn't Cincinnati. Then, some more ads for Fathom.

At 7:30, the theatre darkened and they showed a promo ad for the Physical Graffiti remaster. Cheers and whoops from the crowd. Oh yeah, these people are primed and ready for Zeppelin.

After the ad, we're immediately at Royal Albert Hall on January 9, 1970 and the band crashes into "Communication Breakdown". So basically they skipped the first seven tracks on the Mothership DVD.

The song running order was thus:

1. Communication Breakdown RAH 70

2. Bring It On Home RAH 70

3. Immigrant Song Sydney 72 visual/LA 72 audio

4. Black Dog MSG 73

5. Misty Mountain Hop MSG 73

6. The Ocean MSG 73

7. Going to California EC 75

8. In My Time of Dying EC 75

9. Stairway to Heaven EC 75

10. Rock and Roll Knebworth 79

11. Nobody's Fault But Mine Knebworth 79

12. Kashmir Knebworth 79

13. Whole Lotta Love Knebworth 79

At 8:56pm it was over.

I will amplify what others have said and say it is too bad they couldn't have made it a two hour program and included SIBLY, Trampled Under Foot and Achilles Last Stand...and Sick Again.

I don't mind them cutting out all the RAH songs because I have seen the entire RAH concert shown in a big theatre twice already. But I was especially looking forward to last night for the chance to hear the Earls Court and Knebworth footage on the big screen. They sounded killer last night. NFBM was especially tight and beastly...lots of whoops from the crowd on that one.

Maybe they can do another Led Zeppelin event with just the MSG-EC-Knebworth footage?

Hey zepscoda! You're in Dallas right? Any old Showco vets in your audience?

Edited by Strider

Cinema was half full. More than I expected after a low count for Celebration Day.

Sound was loud...louder than Celebration Day when people kept shouting to turn it up.

Jimmy's guitar was very loud in the mixes. More than I've ever noticed on any other piece of listening equipment.

Communication Breakdown (1970)

Bring it on Home (1970)

Immigrant Song (1972)

Black Dog (the newer version on the re-released TSRTS film (which I don't care as much for) (1973)

Misty Mountain Hop (1973)

The Ocean (1973)

Going to California (1975)

In my time of Dying (1975)

Stairway to Heaven (1975)

Rock and Roll (1979)

Nobody's Fault but Mine (1979)

Kashmir (1979)

Whole Lotta Love (1979)

I will amplify what others have said and say it is too bad they couldn't have made it a two hour program and included SIBLY, Trampled Under Foot and Achilles Last Stand...and Sick Again.

I hear ya on that one.

Those are prime cuts for cinema pleasure.

NFBM was one of my favorites of the night.

Black Dog (the newer version on the re-released TSRTS film (which I don't care as much for) (1973)

Are you sure about that? I think you are mistaken. I kept close attention all night and the "Black Dog" they showed was clearly the one from the 2003 DVD. One way you can tell is that it is the complete song with all the verses. The "Black Dog" on both the original TSRTS and the reissued TSRTS is the butchered version with all the lyrics after the first "ah ah ah ah" cut.

In Batavia, Illinois the theater was about 1/4 full. Was not loud enough but acceptable. I was really disappointed that is was not on the IMAX screen - I think it got booted for Divergent (at least thats what the usher said). Took my 14 year old son just as my dad took me in 1981 for TSRTS!

It was AMAZING to watch Bonzo during The Ocean, He looked absolutely crazed! A great Summer tour, 1973, NYC & at MSG! - Plus that snort off the mic during The Ocean didn't hurt either ; )

Great night then & now