One Night Only: Led Zeppelin DVD Excerpts On the Big Screen

ZosofanCMR

Are you sure about that? I think you are mistaken. I kept close attention all night and the "Black Dog" they showed was clearly the one from the 2003 DVD. One way you can tell is that it is the complete song with all the verses. The "Black Dog" on both the original TSRTS and the reissued TSRTS is the butchered version with all the lyrics after the first "ah ah ah ah" cut.

The one I prefer, is the original from TSRTS soundtrack...I know the verses are cut short, but the guitar solo was incredible (even if it may have been spliced) I could hum it note for note.

Not sure which cut this one was (the other night), but I assumed it was from the newest release of TSRTS a few years back...or even from the 2003 DVD.

I'm pretty sure that the new installment of TSRTS had the "un-cut" version as well.

I

Los Angeles loves Led Zeppelin, that's for sure. With almost zero marketing and nothing on the theatre marquee announcing "Led Zeppelin: One Night Only", the Universal Citywalk 18 was able to nearly sell out the screening. I only counted two or three empty seats. There were about 10 or so other theatres in L.A. also showing this Led Zeppelin screening.

It was a crowd full of love for Led Zeppelin...properly rambunctious in spots and properly reverent in others. Some kids were getting their first eyeful of Led Zeppelin, I'm sure...especially on the big screen. I felt it could have been longer...I timed it at 86 minutes total. The Mothership DVD is around 105 minutes, so even more was cut than I expected.

Here is the program run down.

Various ads for upcoming Fathom events. Then 10 minutes before showtime (7:30pm) they played that "Rock and Roll" video that Led Zeppelin released a while back, with the Zeppelin blueprint drawings mixed with archival band footage. Right away, you could tell the theatre had the sound cranked to rock and roll levels. This wasn't Cincinnati. Then, some more ads for Fathom.

At 7:30, the theatre darkened and they showed a promo ad for the Physical Graffiti remaster. Cheers and whoops from the crowd. Oh yeah, these people are primed and ready for Zeppelin.

After the ad, we're immediately at Royal Albert Hall on January 9, 1970 and the band crashes into "Communication Breakdown". So basically they skipped the first seven tracks on the Mothership DVD.

The song running order was thus:

1. Communication Breakdown RAH 70

2. Bring It On Home RAH 70

3. Immigrant Song Sydney 72 visual/LA 72 audio

4. Black Dog MSG 73

5. Misty Mountain Hop MSG 73

6. The Ocean MSG 73

7. Going to California EC 75

8. In My Time of Dying EC 75

9. Stairway to Heaven EC 75

10. Rock and Roll Knebworth 79

11. Nobody's Fault But Mine Knebworth 79

12. Kashmir Knebworth 79

13. Whole Lotta Love Knebworth 79

At 8:56pm it was over.

I will amplify what others have said and say it is too bad they couldn't have made it a two hour program and included SIBLY, Trampled Under Foot and Achilles Last Stand...and Sick Again.

I don't mind them cutting out all the RAH songs because I have seen the entire RAH concert shown in a big theatre twice already. But I was especially looking forward to last night for the chance to hear the Earls Court and Knebworth footage on the big screen. They sounded killer last night. NFBM was especially tight and beastly...lots of whoops from the crowd on that one.

Maybe they can do another Led Zeppelin event with just the MSG-EC-Knebworth footage?

Hey zepscoda! You're in Dallas right? Any old Showco vets in your audience?

I'm not sure if Knebs worked with showco during his time at the Knebworth shows, but he went to a showing in a town close to where I was. ...I thought I recognized a a dude that I held his place in line while he was getting snacks, but I didn't ask him. He certainly was of the age.

I had a great time, it would be cool if this was done once a year, in some form or fashion.

I didn't go. Poor experience when I went to see the O2 show at one a Mark Cuban's theaters in Dallas.

It was full. But, the sound was not loud enough.

I wanted an experience better than I would hear at home. That's what I was paying for.

The theater did *not* deliver.

I am old enough to remember TSRTS in it's original run.

And The Who's Tommy.

All were loud.

I just don't have time to instruct today's theater operators in the protocol for showing a rock'n'roll concert movie.

Mondays showing at the Cinemark was maybe twice as loud then the Studio Movie Grill was for Celebration Day.

I agree, the Celebration Day showing I saw in Plano was way too low...still very cool, but needed volume.

Also, the sound placement at Mondays showing was excellent!

I didn't go. Poor experience when I went to see the O2 show at one a Mark Cuban's theaters in Dallas.

It was full. But, the sound was not loud enough.

I wanted an experience better than I would hear at home. That's what I was paying for.

The theater did *not* deliver.

I am old enough to remember TSRTS in it's original run.

And The Who's Tommy.

All were loud.

I just don't have time to instruct today's theater operators in the protocol for showing a rock'n'roll concert movie.

I hate the theaters around my house, they have sound so damn loud it hurts the ears. When I saw DVD the sound in the theater was much lower than if it were a movie. I do not understand this, why did they turn it down for Zeppelin but don't care if they deafen me with a movie score.?

I hate the theaters around my house, they have sound so damn loud it hurts the ears. When I saw DVD the sound in the theater was much lower than if it were a movie. I do not understand this, why did they turn it down for Zeppelin but don't care if they deafen me with a movie score.?

That Exactly !!! Totally Bonkers !!!! :wtf:

The one I prefer, is the original from TSRTS soundtrack...I know the verses are cut short, but the guitar solo was incredible (even if it may have been spliced) I could hum it note for note.

Not sure which cut this one was (the other night), but I assumed it was from the newest release of TSRTS a few years back...or even from the 2003 DVD.

I'm pretty sure that the new installment of TSRTS had the "un-cut" version as well.

Nope, the 2007 version of Black Dog on the TSRTS soundtrack was still the edited version. The only full 1973 version was released on the 2003 DVD.

Quote from The Garden Tapes: http://www.thegardentapes.co.uk/tgt3.html

"Amazingly, almost unbelievably, the opportunity to put a complete Black Dog on the new CD, and so to present the opening sequence of songs in all its power and glory for the first time, was spurned. The song is exactly the same as on the new DVD, with that middle two-minute section missing."

Archived