2015 NFL Thread

Walter

Go deep!

Hut! Hut!

2A377EBF00000578-3149143-image-a-25_1435
+4

What a babe: Katherine Webb displays her stunning bikini body alongside husband AJ McCarron in a photo she posted from Orange Beach, Alabama on Friday

The 26-year-old model flashed her toned torso in a leopard print string bikini as she posed alongside her husband.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3149143/Katherine-Webb-displays-stunning-bikini-body-enjoys-leisure-time-husband-AJ-McCarron.html#ixzz3fM41obOI
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I have said all along that the whole deflating balls issue has been overblown, aided and abetted by ESPN and other people with a grudge against the New England Patriots. The incompetence of Roger Goodell and the NFL turned the matter into an unnecessary witch-hunt. The Wells Report was the last straw, with its bogus science and built-in slanted prejudices. When the report was issued, it was obvious to many of us fair-minded folk that the fix was in.

Well now there has been an independent scientific rebuke of the Wells Report published by the American Enterprise Institute, and little surprise that ESPN has tried to bury it and hope people would miss it amongst the hubbub of the NBA and NHL playoff seasons. The fact is, with the evidence of the tainted Wells Report now out there in public, it looks more and more like Tom Brady and the Patriots should have their punishments rescinded.

This was a Sunday Opinion piece published in the New York Times Sunday June 14, 2015 by two of the writers of the American Enterprise Institute report.

Deflating 'Deflategate'

By Kevin A. Hassett and Stan A. Veuger

BEFORE “Deflategate,” the National Football League’s most recent controversy, there was “Bountygate,” in which New Orleans Saints officials were accused of offering bonuses to Saints players who injured members of opposing teams — a policy alleged to have been in place from 2009 to 2011. Initially, several Saints officials and players were penalized by the N.F.L.

In 2012, however, we published an analysis of N.F.L. injury data that found that the Saints injured fewer opposing players than all but two teams did in 2009, and fewer than all but one team did from 2009 to 2011. Even if Saints officials offered “bounties,” there was no good evidence that Saints players were influenced by them.

We presented our findings at an N.F.L. hearing in November 2012. The next month, the N.F.L. vacated all the players’ suspensions.

Considering that our impartiality was at least implicitly recognized by the N.F.L. in the past, we believe that our analysis of the evidence in Deflategate, in a study released Friday by the American Enterprise Institute, could help resolve this latest controversy.

Deflategate is a dispute about whether the New England Patriots used deliberately underinflated footballs in their playoff victory over the Indianapolis Colts in January. (Each N.F.L. team provides its own footballs when on offense, and an underinflated football may be easier to handle in cold or wet conditions.)

The N.F.L. commissioned a study, known as the Wells report, that concluded that it was “more probable than not” that Patriots personnel deliberately violated the rules and that Tom Brady, the Patriots quarterback, was aware of it. Following the release of the Wells report last month, the N.F.L. penalized the Patriots organization and suspended Mr. Brady for four games.

Our study, written with our colleague Joseph Sullivan, examines the evidence and methodology of the Wells report and concludes that it is deeply flawed. (We have no financial stake in the outcome of Deflategate.)

The Wells report’s main finding is that the Patriots balls declined in pressure more than the Colts balls did in the first half of their game, and that the decline is highly statistically significant. For the sake of argument, let’s grant this finding for now. Even still, it alone does not prove misconduct. There are, after all, two possibilities. The first is that the Patriots balls declined too much. The second — overlooked by the Wells report — is that the Colts balls declined too little.

The latter possibility appears to be more likely. The Wells report notes the expected pressure for the footballs at halftime in the Patriots-Colts game, factoring in the decline in pressure to be expected when a ball, inflated in a warm room, has been moved to a cold outdoor field. If the Patriots deflated their balls, their pressure levels at halftime should have fallen below the expected level, while the Colts balls at halftime should have hovered around that level.

But when we analyzed the data provided in the Wells report, we found that the Patriots balls declined by about the expected amount, while the Colts balls declined by less. In fact, the pressure of the Colts balls was statistically significantly higher than expected. Contrary to the report, the significant difference between the changes in pressure of the two teams’ balls was not because the pressure of the Patriots balls was too low, but because that of the Colts balls was too high.

How could this be? The report’s own findings suggest an explanation: At halftime, N.F.L. officials measured the pressure of “only a sample” of the Colts balls (four out of 12) before they ran out of time; the second half of the game was about to begin. This implies that the Colts balls sat in the warm room where they were to be measured — and thus increased in pressure — for almost the entirety of halftime before being measured.

All of the 11 available Patriots balls, by contrast, were measured at halftime, which suggests that they were measured earlier, when they were colder — and thus lower in pressure. Although this explanation contradicts the Wells report’s conclusions, it fits all the evidence.

There are other factors discussed in our study that undermine support for the Wells report’s conclusions. For example, there is considerable uncertainty concerning the actual pressure of the footballs. The N.F.L. official who checked the pressure before the game used some combination of two pressure gauges to measure the Patriots and Colts balls, but it is not known which particular combination.

One of the gauges, as the report notes, records pressures that are higher than the other. If the official used that gauge to measure the Patriots balls (but not the Colts balls) pregame, then those balls may well have started out with too little air, which could explain a later appearance of intentional deflation. The report, however, does not consider that possibility.

Our recommendation? When the N.F.L. hears Mr. Brady’s appeal of his suspension later this month, it should proceed with the knowledge that the Wells report is unreliable.

Kevin A. Hassett is the director of economic studies, and Stan A. Veuger is a resident scholar, at the American Enterprise Institute.

You can read the entire AEI Report debunking the Wells Report here: http://www.aei.org/publication/on-wells-report/

Like I said before...the NFL owes the Patriots a big apology and Goodell needs to be fired.

The Bills are going to kick some serious ass!!!

I don't mind saying this to you but your sports analysis are honorable but very misguided. You seem to think that the Baltimore Orioles are going to win the 2015 World Series and now it seems that you think that the Buffalo Bills are destined to win the 2016 Super Bowl. I will be the one to tell you that your hopes of each winning the "Big One" is very slim and very doubtful.

The Saint Louis Cardinals and the Saint Louis Rams have a better shot at winning the "Big One" in each of Their respective Leagues then the Orioles or the Bills.

Just a simple question? Are you a resident of Baltimore or Buffalo?... and what is your real age and actual date of birth? Mine is November 4, 1970. Which makes me almost 45 years old. From what I can recollect, I think that you are in your late 70's.

It's cool though for Me because I am just asking questions and not being mean. If you are the person I think you are, then you should know where I am coming from. I certainly would.

Peace!!! and good luck to your orioles.

I will say that the Saint Louis Cardinals have a better and more realistic chance of winning the 2015 World Series then the usually inept Baltimore Orioles.

^^^Ferchrissakes, give it a rest already. You've gone on and on with the same gag and it's tiresome. Rick has told you over and over his age and where he's from and his reasons for being a fan of the Bills and Orioles. He's also posted his photo.

Rick is not in his late-70s as you keep insisting. Maybe you're confusing your IQ with Rick's age?

For all of Rick's sometimes wayward sports analysis, at least he has enthusiasm. He's like the drunk at the bar bragging about his team.

You, on the other hand, are a pedantic scold and your posts have a robotic sameness...like they were written by Mad Lib. The inability of you to remember the simplest details means you are either dense as a doorknob or purposely being obtuse.

^^^Ferchrissakes, give it a rest already. You've gone on and on with the same gag and it's tiresome. Rick has told you over and over his age and where he's from and his reasons for being a fan of the Bills and Orioles. He's also posted his photo.

Rick is not in his late-70s as you keep insisting. Maybe you're confusing your IQ with Rick's age?

For all of Rick's sometimes wayward sports analysis, at least he has enthusiasm. He's like the drunk at the bar bragging about his team.

You, on the other hand, are a pedantic scold and your posts have a robotic sameness...like they were written by Mad Lib. The inability of you to remember the simplest details means you are either dense as a doorknob or purposely being obtuse.

Well this is something to have to see. Thanks for sticking up for me Strider, he is misguided. I am 57. I will be 58 on July 30th. I never said the Orioles would win the Series this year. But they are still in the race and you can expect Buck to make a move or two to improve our chances which are as good as the next guys. The Bills have built a very good team. They only have the question mark at the QB posiotioin. But they are good enough in the trenches and the skill positions for them not to need Johnny Unitas to win. The Ravens won the SB with no QB. For Gods sake, 70s? I do not even want to be 60, and that is still a ways off so watch your self mr Cardiac.

OK. I just read the rest of his post. I live near Buffalo, outside of Rochester, NY. I am a die hard Bills, Sabres and Orioles fan. Why the Orioles? Because they were the parent team of Rochester when I grew up and I watched them all of my life and have been a fan since the late 1960s. Brooks Robinson and Dave McNally and Jim Palmer are my all time favs. I watched Bobby Grich and Don Baylor in their prime and Ripken and all in Rochester before they went up to the Orioles.

Lastly, I will try and find a picture of myself in the meet and greet, but since its likely buried so deep I may have to repost one. 70? Ha

Yet another NFL idiot coming out on the losing end of playing with fireworks:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000500614/article/bucs-cj-wilson-injured-in-fireworks-accident

Btw, JPP of the Giants also has a broken thumb which take 6 weeks to heal. The reports seem to think he will be able to play in 2 months. There is no way a defensive end is going to be productive going up against OT's without the index finger on his right hand. That is the most important finger at a position that requires quick, strong, hands. His career could effectively be over, certainly at the level he was playing at.

Thank you. This is a fantastic post. I wish I had the way with words that you do.

So, football (in keeping with the tread)... anyone else laugh when Little Napoleon Snider lost the in the next level of the trademark case yesterday? I know I did.

Thank you. This is a fantastic post. I wish I had the way with words that you do.

So, football (in keeping with the tread)... anyone else laugh when Little Napoleon Snider lost the in the next level of the trademark case yesterday? I know I did.

I hadn't seen that, ebk. Anytime the Deadskins lose at anything, it's a good day! :)

Don't think this was brought up lately - but what's this now about 2 games being played in England each season? In addition to the inconvenience to the players and coaches, what about season ticket holders? And the time zone difference - what do you west coast fans think? Doesn't England already have Rugby - which I hear, is the "real man's" game?

If someone who reads 2 National newspaper every day (USA Today and the Dallas Morning News) can be considered "dense as a doorknob") then, yes I am "dense as a doorknob". Your typed words or any strangers typed words do not harm me or mean a thing to Me. You do not or anyone on this Awesome Led Zeppelin Forum know who I am, you (and them) just know that I Love LED ZEPPELIN and the SAINT LOUIS CARDINALS. What is wrong with that?

I have a lot to say but I refrain from saying what I really think in the political, etc... topics that really stir up controversy because everyone who posts on such topics are just posting their opinions. I have a lot of opinions on these topics but I do not post them because I am Smart and keep such opinions to Myself.

By the way, I hired a pedantic robot to type all of this. If anyone take any offense to this, blame it.

Back on topic: I hope that the Saint Louis Rams have a decent season...

Kenny "The Snake" Stabler #12 - 1945-2015 R.I.P.

Gutted. Completely heartbroken. Yesterday was pure torture, what with the initial report of The Snake's death and then the retraction and then...chaos as nobody could confirm or deny the story for a while.

I've been a Raider fan practically my entire life and Stabler was "my guy" growing up. Pisses me off he's not in the Hall of Fame. Fuck you NFL Establishment.

Memories of my youth...

post-1470-0-17116300-1436552947_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-78970100-1436552973_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-47336200-1436553013_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-33442500-1436553052_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-98859000-1436553213_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-98699800-1436553238_thumb.jp

Kenny "The Snake" Stabler #12 - 1945-2015 R.I.P.

Gutted. Completely heartbroken. Yesterday was pure torture, what with the initial report of The Snake's death and then the retraction and then...chaos as nobody could confirm or deny the story for a while.

I've been a Raider fan practically my entire life and Stabler was "my guy" growing up. Pisses me off he's not in the Hall of Fame. Fuck you NFL Establishment.

Memories of my youth...

attachicon.gifCJguNHoUkAEWfEi.jpg

attachicon.gifmorgue22_stabler_post_td.jpg

attachicon.gifken-stabler-fred-biletnikoff.jpg

attachicon.gifCJgs4PSUsAAu9xj.jpg

attachicon.gifkenstabler.jpg

attachicon.gifCJg0UiVUcAAL3Of.jpg

Sorry for your loss. Players from our childhood are like big brothers. I couldn't believe it when I heard he wasn't in the Hall yet. He refined the position. RIP Snake

Archived