richard cole

He likely was not invited and like Peter Grant his relationship with Page, Plant and Jones was poor. His ethics and attempt to "sell out" pissed them off I'm sure. Since Led Zeppelin's breakup in 1980, Cole has contributed to a number of unofficial Led Zeppelin biographies, most notably Stephen Davis' much-maligned biography Hammer of the Gods. Cole has claimed he was only paid $1250 by Davis for his revelations, which make up a large proportion of the book. Cole has also written his own book, Stairway to Heaven: Led Zeppelin Uncensored, with Richard Trubo. Cole's book raised the ire of Page, who once commented:

“ There's a book written by our former road manager, Richard Cole that has made me completely ill. I'm so mad about it that I can't even bring myself to read the whole thing. The two bits that I have read are so ridiculously false, that I'm sure if I read the rest I'd be able to sue Cole and the publishers. But it would be so painful to read that it wouldn't be worth it.

According to his publisher HarperCollins, Cole now divides his time between Venice, California, and London.

Dec 10th Cole was probably sitting by his computer like the rest of us!!

Why was Pages relationship with Grant bad?

I don't think there have any been any details revealed, but I assume in the same way that Jones Plant and Page all sort of went their separate ways after Bonham's death, probably something the same. I think Grant ran into financial trouble towards the end?

I don't think there have any been any details revealed, but I assume in the same way that Jones Plant and Page all sort of went their separate ways after Bonham's death, probably something the same. I think Grant ran into financial trouble towards the end?

If I remember right he got cancer and died. I think the members of the band respect what he did. He basically gave them total control of the band. But there's probably personal issues they didn't like with him.

whats your source on this?? seriously, details........ :unsure:

My source is an acquaintance of mine who attended the after party show and actually met with JPJ, Jason, and Richard Cole. I dont know if that was all at the same time or at various times throughout the evening. My source is extremely reliable.

Richard Cole's attendance was also talked about by someone else in this thread:

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com//index.php?showtopic=2146

I want to know where the idiot who said Peter Grant's relationship with the band was bad got that. That couldn't be farther from the truth. He recused himself from the business after Bonzo's death for more than 10 years, then died in '95 a few months after attending the No Quarter MTV special.

People saw Cole at the show last week. It's been talked about here more than once. If you're going to infer something you know nothing about, Pearl, take a few moments to use the damn search function and get your facts straight.

Peter Grant was almost bigger to Led Zeppelin's success than the actual musicians in the band. Not taking any of the music away but he was the reason they had all the musical freedom they had and this was before anyone ever even heard of Led Zeppelin.

Cole is sort of a sad figure in my eyes. A total enabler who fueled drugs and alcohol towards the band because it fed his own habits. If his book is to believed (and he was writing about himself in these sections) towards the end with Led Zeppelin he was so paranoid and messed up on drugs that he was sitting under the stage with a hammer smashing the knees of fans who got too close to the stage barrier. Sounds psychotic. Maybe he has reconciled with the band, but I doubt that he and Robert were ever close again.

Cole is sort of a sad figure in my eyes. A total enabler who fueled drugs and alcohol towards the band because it fed his own habits. If his book is to believed (and he was writing about himself in these sections) towards the end with Led Zeppelin he was so paranoid and messed up on drugs that he was sitting under the stage with a hammer smashing the knees of fans who got too close to the stage barrier. Sounds psychotic. Maybe he has reconciled with the band, but I doubt that he and Robert were ever close again.

To me, Cole is a centurion, for without them there is no Roman Empire. I don't think he was ever particularly close to any of them, by choice, but he fulfilled his role quite well.

He likely was not invited and like Peter Grant his relationship with Page, Plant and Jones was poor. His ethics and attempt to "sell out" pissed them off I'm sure. Since Led Zeppelin's breakup in 1980, Cole has contributed to a number of unofficial Led Zeppelin biographies, most notably Stephen Davis' much-maligned biography Hammer of the Gods. Cole has claimed he was only paid $1250 by Davis for his revelations, which make up a large proportion of the book. Cole has also written his own book, Stairway to Heaven: Led Zeppelin Uncensored, with Richard Trubo. Cole's book raised the ire of Page, who once commented:

“ There's a book written by our former road manager, Richard Cole that has made me completely ill. I'm so mad about it that I can't even bring myself to read the whole thing. The two bits that I have read are so ridiculously false, that I'm sure if I read the rest I'd be able to sue Cole and the publishers. But it would be so painful to read that it wouldn't be worth it.

According to his publisher HarperCollins, Cole now divides his time between Venice, California, and London.

Dec 10th Cole was probably sitting by his computer like the rest of us!!

I read that book, "Stairway to Heaven" and now I see Pagey says it is all false! Now I am reading one written by Keith Shadwick.....hope it is better!

He was very much there at the show as well as the after party. Here's a shot I took with him there:

l_1b12164f182ff843ea2a91fb3d077599.jpg

That photo looks like it's in the arena...did you sit with Richard Cole?! Not that it really matters but I was a few rows behind you guys. Great seats :D

That photo looks like it's in the arena...did you sit with Richard Cole?! Not that it really matters but I was a few rows behind you guys. Great seats :D

No, didn't sit with him, just went over to chat. Our singer had met him previously here in CA. Our seats were the next section over, towards the stage, and we were seated right behind Queen's Brian May! B)

Archived