Even though I'm a drummer and Bonzo is, IMO, the best ever...

bub72ck

…I think We're Gonna Groove should have been on LZ II instead of Moby Dick. I've read a few places that WGG didn't make the cut for the album so if one track had to be eliminated I think it would be MD. Don't get me wrong, I think the solo is really good but the version that had to be edited down to go on the album is much weaker than many of his true solos from concerts.

Any ideas why WGG was unable to make the cut for the album? It's one of my favorite tracks and I think it shows the raw talent the band had in the early years.

The edited Moby Dick to only include the section with Bonzo playing the drums with his hands. If they included the entire recorded solo, it definitely would have been quite an improvement. Maybe there was a publishing rights issue with Were Gonna Groove?

Did they ever record a studio version of We're Gonna Groove?

And I don't mean the live version with overdubs on CODA.

Personally I don't think Led Zeppelin II needs any improvement, Moby Dick is great & it was par for the course in the late 60s to include a drum solo on an album.

Don't agree. MD provides Bonham with much more of a showcase, not to mention the killer riff that MD has. It's an odd song for me, as I often skip over it, not really being in the mood for a 70s-style drum solo, but once in a while, I give it a listen (typically with headphones). Amazing song, and a really great way to get in there and hear just about every single sound and nuance that a drum kit and accessories can make.

Our percussionist, John Bonham, Moby Dick Dick Dick.

• 1 month later...

Archived