Would you buy remastered bootlegs?

I, like many other i assume, have been slightly disappointed with the reissues of Zeppelin's albums. My main gripe is the missed opportunity to add remastered versions of bootlegs and outtakes like "Take Me Home" "Sugar Mama" "I Wanna Be Her Man" and many others. I know Jimmy said he wasn't adding songs that made it out on bootleg or to the public, but what a mistake! I for one would shell out money without hesitation for remastered versions of those on cd/vinyl. So my question is, would you buy an album/box set with outtakes like "Swan Song" or "Fire?" If so, let us find a way to relay the message to Jimmy himself so maybe it will get done.

Yep. I'll keep on buying if Jimmy wants to start another Zep release project. I'd love to have a How The East Was Won (Japan 71) and How The West Was Won II (LA 77). Also, please keep at least some of the Plantations in an official live album Jimmy!

+1

And While he's remastering all those 16track multi's, Please make us a 3CD combo of the best of Earl's Court May 24 and 25.

How we won at Home

And Please ...no more 'artwork' from Ross Halfin

Yes because I have never bought a bootleg as it remains illegal I have a family member in SAG/AFTRA and piracy is wrong no matter who looks the other way so ...I am not sure why Jimmy doesn't issue this stuff people like me have never heard or Earl's Court which i have heard parts of...The companion discs were well...irrelevant to me personally altho enjoyed by many. I am not disappointed by the remasters cuz I expected nothing...to me it all sounds the same ...94/14-15...

If there are any previously unreleased (and of sufficient release-quality) studio tracks in the archives yet to be heard by the public at large, they'll likely be included on the upcoming remastered Coda release, but as for live material, I think short of a full-blown Earl's Court live album sometime in future - :smiley_pray: - there's nothing left of major significance worth releasing in an official capacity, and bootlegs by their very nature are of inferior sound and picture quality to officially released canon.

So the answer to the topic question is no, there's no reason nor need for Jimmy to release inferior-quality material and no reason for us to buy it...

Apart from bootlegs being hard to find down here I am all for official release and cleaning up,remaster,remix,etc of anything salvageable on boots.I know this may never happen although Coda could be a nice surprise but I doubt it.I think what we have on the official releases is the best of the best.I would never like to see Zep releases sink to the lows of Hendrix where every upteenth take,fart and whistle has been dished out ad infinitam.If there is some classics on boots(and I haven't heard some of these which have been mentioned)I am all for it.

Yes because I have never bought a bootleg as it remains illegal I have a family member in SAG/AFTRA and piracy is wrong no matter who looks the other way so ...I am not sure why Jimmy doesn't issue this stuff people like me have never heard or Earl's Court which i have heard parts of...The companion discs were well...irrelevant to me personally altho enjoyed by many. I am not disappointed by the remasters cuz I expected nothing...to me it all sounds the same ...94/14-15...

If you have only heard or seen parts of Earl's Court, here is an hours worth of video and a full bootleg version of the last Earl's Court concert: I hope you take the time to watch and listen. Enjoy!!!

https://youtu.be/4cZ1du-WC98

https://youtu.be/4cZ1du-WC98

If there are any previously unreleased (and of sufficient release-quality) studio tracks in the archives yet to be heard by the public at large, they'll likely be included on the upcoming remastered Coda release, but as for live material, I think short of a full-blown Earl's Court live album sometime in future - :smiley_pray: - there's nothing left of major significance worth releasing in an official capacity, and bootlegs by their very nature are of inferior sound and picture quality to officially released canon.

So the answer to the topic question is no, there's no reason nor need for Jimmy to release inferior-quality material and no reason for us to buy it...

I see you might not buy already cleaned up versions of songs (like swan song) but In regards to the studio tracks of low quality that have made it to the public (like Fire or Take Me Home) would you still not buy a remastered version of that? Surely a decent sounding version of those on an easily accessible album would be worth the money yes? It is in my eyes.

I see you might not buy already cleaned up versions of songs (like swan song) but In regards to the studio tracks of low quality that have made it to the public (like Fire or Take Me Home) would you still not buy a remastered version of that? Surely a decent sounding version of those on an easily accessible album would be worth the money yes? It is in my eyes.

A couple of questions;

1) Are those songs, and other fabled Zep tracks like 'St Tristan's Sword', completed tracks or just half-finished outtakes like 'Swan Song'?

2) Are they part of the trove that was stolen from Jimmy's house in the early 1980's?

3) And if so, were they the original studio master tapes or copies that were stolen?

I'm not dodging the question you asked me, but if Mr Page no longer has possession of those unreleased songs on their original analogue tapes, he may not want to release mere cleaned-up first or second generation copes, in which case it doesn't matter what you or I would or wouldn't buy but a question of releasable quality (or lack thereof) from Jimmy's perspective... if on the other hand, they are releasable, completed tracks that just need some final mixing and mastering, and Jimmy has the original master tapes in his possession, then of course I would shell out for them, what Zep fan wouldn't, but if all of those above crucial factors are in play, we may see some of that fabled material on the upcoming remastered Coda deluxe edition, fingers crossed.

A couple of questions;

1) Are those songs, and other fabled Zep tracks like 'St Tristan's Sword', completed tracks or just half-finished outtakes like 'Swan Song'?

2) Are they part of the trove that was stolen from Jimmy's house in the early 1980's?

3) And if so, were they the original studio master tapes or copies that were stolen?

I'm not dodging the question you asked me, but if Mr Page no longer has possession of those unreleased songs on their original analogue tapes, he may not want to release mere cleaned-up first or second generation copes, in which case it doesn't matter what you or I would or wouldn't buy but a question of releasable quality (or lack thereof) from Jimmy's perspective... if on the other hand, they are releasable, completed tracks that just need some final mixing and mastering, and Jimmy has the original master tapes in his possession, then of course I would shell out for them, what Zep fan wouldn't, but if all of those above crucial factors are in play, we may see some of that fabled material on the upcoming remastered Coda deluxe edition, fingers crossed.

Yes that is very important. I have no idea if they were stolen. They could have been and if so, yes it doesn't matter what we think, but to answer your first question, they and many others are songs that seem somewhat complete as is. If Page has access to those, I don't see why he wouldn't release cleaned up versions of them. Maybe due to his hate of bootlegs? Perhaps I am just disappointed to not see take me home (a physical graffiti work) not on the companion disc. Yes this does take a lot of "ifs" into the equation, but it's nice to dream isn't it?

I, like many other i assume, have been slightly disappointed with the reissues of Zeppelin's albums. My main gripe is the missed opportunity to add remastered versions of bootlegs and outtakes like "Take Me Home" "Sugar Mama" "I Wanna Be Her Man" and many others. I know Jimmy said he wasn't adding songs that made it out on bootleg or to the public, but what a mistake! I for one would shell out money without hesitation for remastered versions of those on cd/vinyl. So my question is, would you buy an album/box set with outtakes like "Swan Song" or "Fire?" If so, let us find a way to relay the message to Jimmy himself so maybe it will get done.

I would like more videos

• 4 weeks later...

Not the ones already out there on the torrent sites, absolutely no way. I learned my lesson about buying shitty quality audience recordings in the early seventies and as far as I'm concerned you cannot polish turds no matter what you do to them As for desk-tapes/sbds they are ususaly all mono and far to dry. I might consider the Southampton multi-track so long as all the glitches were properly fixed, otherwise no chance.

As long as Page doesn't mess with them too much (remove Plantations, remove songs, edit songs, mix nights etc) I'd happily buy them.

By far my least favorite thing about Zeppelin's albums. Page just removes too much.

This, in general, and the bold part in particular. I've read about other musicians splicing different nights together and that really bugs me. Felt sort of cheated because I was under the impression that that's what the actual performance was at a given time. Just give us what really happened that night, otherwise it's like revisionist history rather than the truth, however raw it may be.

Yeah, I own about 200+ bootleg concert and studio time albums. As far as LZ, I cherish all the studio takes I have collected. I'd never distribute them, but I do enjoy reading a book or magazine on the making of certain albums or songs and playing the band's takes at the same time.

I've spent over $5K on LZ related material, not including the Classic Records box set of vinyl I sold when I heard Page planned to re-release the band's titles on vinyl. The Classic Record's LZ vinyl trumped the re-releases, IMHO. But they've lost a lot of value the past couple years.

You guys do know we still have three more albums to go, right? Including Coda, which could include some real gems, as The Old Hermit has alluded to.

I am not trying to discount the arguments about releasing/not releasing just because Page no longer holds the original copy, but surely

a extremely low gen could be found with the stolen stuff. Of course here you are talking strictly remastering , not remixing as apparently

none(who knows this for sure ??)of the mixing board tapes of the stolen stuff exists. Like many others, I think Page is being anal

with the bootleg situation and refusing to touch anything already out on studio boots(he could well have alt takes, etc.,.).

• 3 months later...

Totally agree, man. Especially nowadays with the internet. I guess before then you really had no choice if you wanted to hear them.

Yeah definitely! That's why, now that i have completed my collection, I made my Youtube page Long Live Led Zeppelin and i share the bootlegs in my collection. I plan to eventualy share everything i have! It is going to take years to convert and upload everything, but I will never stop. No one should have to pay for any of the led zep bootlegs. No one should have to pay to listen and enjoy any of these shows. It was really hard and took me a long time to complete my collection. And now that i have i just want to try and help people who are like me, searching for shows and trying to complete their collections. I hope i am contributing in anyway, i hope i am helping. Like i said no one should have to pay for these shows.

Here is a rare one for you :)

Archived