TSRTS Coming to Theatre Near You Nov. 27th ! !

The Rover

I wish I could be there tonight. Have Fun! I'm sure it will be packed! Did you pre-order your ticket in case it's sold out?

Hey myledzep!

Yes, my friends and I bought our tickets a week ago! I don't know if it's sold out or not, but I'm cutting from work early. It's quite a drive from Anaheim to west L.A. during weekday traffic. :blink:

I want to get there early so that I can stand in line!

Including myself, there were 7 people in that theatre watching TSRTS,

I could't believe it, and besides that, there was no advertising for it at all in El Paso, no radio, no flyers, even the theatre itself had no posters, standups, anything, I think the only people who knew it was playing heard of it nationally.

I was so embarrased for Led Zeppelin, and so ashamed of El Paso.

In the meantime, they had a huuuuuuuuge banner advertising Hannah Montana in 3-D next month, I WAS PISSED! :angry:

A few thoughts after watching it tonight in a half-filled theater in Michigan, for the first time on a big screen....

1. The speakers in the joint were a mess. There was very little low end, so you could barely hear JPJ's bass and Bonham's bass drum. The gong at the beginning and end of D&C and at the end of WLL were either non-existent or heavily muted. Missing gong crashes = me being pissed.

2. That said, the drums (toms, snare, cymbals) were the highlight of the new audio for me. It was easy to discern what individual drum was played at each time, and the sound was much more forward in the mix than before.

3. No Quarter, despite everyone's angst over the cuts, sounded A-FREAKING-MAZING in the theater setting (for some reason, the mellotron was clearly audible in the top left channel).

4. The color reproduction is dynamite, perhaps best represented at the start of Stairway as Robert's basked in the brilliant yellows, while Pagey's in the back shadows under heavy blues and purples to the point where you can't see his face. Light and shade, n'est pas? Also, the Wizard atop the mountain was, as expected, an experience unto itself, while the pullback pan shot of Robert riding across the Welsh (?) mountains on horseback is easily the best visual enhancement to the whole movie.

5. Pieter was right about the bow segment of D&C -- it's the audio high point in terms of any one song. Again, the speakers in this place made me cringe because as it was bouncing around with Page pointing, there were spots where it just sounded like there were dead speakers or something.

All in all, I probably was too picky having seen it so many times on small screens and this being my first full theater experience. I sat through a lot of the first half of the flick with my eyes closed just soaking in the new mix and hearing where the sounds were coming from in the speakers. It was cool actually seeing the horrible editing that was done (so easy to see on a big screen the "Pittsburgh Police" and "Allegheny County Police" leading the band in the opening sequence from the airport. It was a hoot to see Jonesy in three different shirts. It was creepy seeing Page's eyes glow while playing hurdy gurdy. But it was every bit as hair-raising as it was frustrating - the sheer anticipation of hearing those opening notes of Rock And Roll....the frenetic solo into SIBLY....the sustained note between TSRTS and The Rain Song....the intro to Stairway with the pan shot of the NYC skyline and then-newly finished World Trade Center....Bonzo slapping the skins in Moby Dick....or the chaotic changeover in Heartbreaker into WLL, building to a crescendo as the pyrotecnics erupt.

It was, in essence, a truly visceral experience that I'm glad I finally had.

the color was AMAZING, so vibrant and clean. In a lot of ways, it was like watching it for the first time, I noticed many little details.

The sound was great.

The bow segment did the same thing at my theater which only makes me think thats how they did it on the 5.1 mix.... I certainly hope not, it wasn't good. I see where they were trying to go... jimmy points in that direction, the sound is over there. It doesn't translate to the surround mix as well. It sounds like speakers are out, muffled....

It was great to see it in the theaters. Not sold out but clearly dedicated fans.

I saw this last night here in New York City at my local theater - very close to Madison Square Garden itself, which was nice. In fact, you can see the apartment complex where I live in the opening, sped-up shot of NYC (if you know where to look).

Anyway, the screening was very poorly attended, maybe 100 people tops. There didn’t seem to have been any promotion done whatsoever; I only knew about it because I was walking past the theater last week and they had a poster up (not even the new full color poster, but a cheap black and white job). Luckily, this meant we got good seats! The demographic was predictable: aging rockers, with a handful of curious younger folks. The hipsters stayed away in droves. Then again, maybe if they’d advertised the thing, more people would have showed up.

Guitar World sponsored the screening and they had a folding table up with free copies of the current issue with Page on the cover (I got both versions, naturally). Neither the sponsor nor the theater people could explain why tickets cost fifteen dollars – movies are usually $10.50 - $11.

The sound was excellent – nice and loud and well balanced - and it looked fantastic, but it’s always going to be a Frankenstein of a movie; no amount of digital enhancement is going to make those fantasy sequences more tolerable. That goes the same for the diffracto-vision, the mirror-vision and the Robert Plant's bulging crotch in your face-vision.

The big problem I had was that we weren’t show all the new material! We got Black Dog and Since I’ve Been Loving You, but no Over the Hills, Ocean, Misty Mountain Hop or Heartbreaker. Is this somebody’s strategy for making me buy the DVD?

All in all, disappointing as an event, but the live footage looks and sounds fantastic.

Full disclosure: I actually left the theater at the beginning of the drum solo in Moby Dick to return a DVD to the rental shop around the corner before it closed. I managed to walk back in just as the band came back in at the end of the song. So sue me!

i attended last night's screening in west l.a. the attendance was good for a tuesday night. a local dj gave out t shirts and posterboards of the film poster. a couple of crazy cats down front made for a strange experience. film looked great, sounded great. best part was album version of stairway playing over end credits and then the song goes to the end over a black screen. that was kickass, hearing that in the dark cranked to the max!

that was the first time i have seen it on a big screen since i was 15 in 1984, at a midnight movie in suburban chicago. what a great night!

thanks to those for making it happen. i wish it was playing every week!

Two more days! Just two more days! I have a feeling that this is going to be the equivalent of a religious experience. Corny Laser Zeppelin at the planetarium was enough for me. I think TSRTS is going to be too much :lol: I really pity the other people in the theater who have to deal with the two of us.............

I saw it last night, and it was most definitely a religious experience. I have no other words to describe it, especially since I'd never seen it before.... :D

The big problem I had was that we weren’t show all the new material! We got Black Dog and Since I’ve Been Loving You, but no Over the Hills, Ocean, Misty Mountain Hop or Heartbreaker. Is this somebody’s strategy for making me buy the DVD?

with the advent of unions, the DGA has prevented someone from altering a film without the director's permission and or contribution. hence why they are extras on the dvd. i too was disappointed last night thinking it was going to be there.

I respect keeping the film as it was originally presented. In fact, I was nervous it wasn't going to be. However, it might have been cool to have a bonus disc of a "special edition" or "jimmy Page edition" where it was edited the way it should and could be done now.... Similar to the way they've done it with star wars and pink floyd live in pompai.

The soundtrack following the movie now makes sense to me. They only had to make one soundtrack for the movie and the soundtrack..... the original soundtrack was its own thing and different. Perhaps it was a time saving issue on their end.

Hey myledzep!

Yes, my friends and I bought our tickets a week ago! I don't know if it's sold out or not, but I'm cutting from work early. It's quite a drive from Anaheim to west L.A. during weekday traffic. :blink:

I want to get there early so that I can stand in line!

So how was the experience? They showed it in the Imax theatre? Was it packed??!! And most important...did you survive weekday traffic?? :lol: :lol:

i attended last night's screening in west l.a. the attendance was good for a tuesday night. a local dj gave out t shirts and posterboards of the film poster. a couple of crazy cats down front made for a strange experience. film looked great, sounded great. best part was album version of stairway playing over end credits and then the song goes to the end over a black screen. that was kickass, hearing that in the dark cranked to the max!

that was the first time i have seen it on a big screen since i was 15 in 1984, at a midnight movie in suburban chicago. what a great night!

You were at the Bridge too? I wished I could've made it. Ah well...I'll just have to watch my remastered version at home.

Hey Dog of Doom! I was sitting in the first row behind that crazy dude up in the front, LMAO! I hope you weren't referring to my friends and I (the guys from Led Zepagain) as the crazy cats, HAHAHA.

My friend Celeste and I won the first set of t-shirts that were handed out. I was so damn happy, plus we also got to load up on the sitckers that Cynthia Fox gave out.

It was amazing getting to see it on the big screen. Some of the speakers were tweaked out a bit, but all in all, it was a great experience. AND what other way to watch the film but with a 40oz. in my lap!!!

myledzep, dude, it only took me an hour to get to West L.A. from Anaheim... not bad at all!!! :) Wish you could have made it.

with the advent of unions, the DGA has prevented someone from altering a film without the director's permission and or contribution. hence why they are extras on the dvd. i too was disappointed last night thinking it was going to be there.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation.

The press release doesn't actually suggest that the extras were to be included in the film as shown at the screening, but if you didn't read it carefully (guilty!), you might have thought they were.

P.S. -- I was mortified that the theater in L.A., the ONLY showing out in this area and its surrounding counties was NOT sold out. I would say it was about half empty. Damn shame....

Thanks for the review. Theater half full....that is a surprise. I thought it would've been full & possibly sold out. It wasn't really advertised much if at all locally...perhaps on the rock radio stations but I saw nothing in the print media or the local weeklies.....

It only took an hour from Anaheim in rush hour traffic? You came this way on a "good" traffic day.....:lol:

Hey Dog of Doom! I was sitting in the first row behind that crazy dude up in the front, LMAO! I hope you weren't referring to my friends and I (the guys from Led Zepagain) as the crazy cats, HAHAHA.

My friend Celeste and I won the first set of t-shirts that were handed out. I was so damn happy, plus we also got to load up on the sitckers that Cynthia Fox gave out.

It was amazing getting to see it on the big screen. Some of the speakers were tweaked out a bit, but all in all, it was a great experience. AND what other way to watch the film but with a 40oz. in my lap!!!

myledzep, dude, it only took me an hour to get to West L.A. from Anaheim... not bad at all!!! :) Wish you could have made it.

ha, i was referring to the guy who stood up every so often and raised his arms....and then tried to get everyone to clap at the end.

I saw it last night, and it was most definitely a religious experience. I have no other words to describe it, especially since I'd never seen it before.... :D

What a way to see it for the first time! I'm one of the young'uns, so sitting at home on the couch one evening after Christmas was how I was introduced to the greatness that is TSRTS...

I'll have to agree with you. I was absolutely reeling when it was through. I was incredibly disappointed with the turnout...maybe 25-30 people showed. Day Tripper and I got our tickets A WEEK in advance, and we got there about 45 minutes early because we wanted good seats. Well, we had the pick of the place, because I think there were maybe five people scattered about the theater at that point. It sounded SPECTACULAR! Luckily, it was loud enough that nobody around could hear my terrible singing :lol: Or my professions of love for Jimmy :rolleyes: It was by far the most fun I've had in a movie theater...people were cheering at the end of each song, air drumming, etc. It was great, even if the guy behind me was telling another guy he was with that Jimmy uses a bow with the double neck in Dazed and Confused :blink:

ha, i was referring to the guy who stood up every so often and raised his arms....and then tried to get everyone to clap at the end.

LOL, that guy was being questioned by the cops as I exited the parking lot. He was definitely high on something.... plus he kept getting up and running out of the room every 5 minutes.

LOL, that guy was being questioned by the cops as I exited the parking lot. He was definitely high on something.... plus he kept getting up and running out of the room every 5 minutes.

wow, that sucks. i mean, he was weird, and yes, bizarre, but the cops....man, that probably harshed his mellow :mellow:

We had about 50 people in our theatre, perhaps 75 at most, and a good bulk of them were middle aged men, and smatterings of young boys. So my 2 female friends & I were mildly out of place, but (perhaps because of that) we got to sit terribly close to the screen (3 rows back) with no one directly in front of us. Infinitely better than I could have imagined, being visually and aurally bombarded with Led Zeppelin in giant form is a necessary experience, man, I have fully decided.

It was exceptionally amusing during WLL, when they sort of break into Boogie Chillin and they show that extremely extended crotch shot of Robert, the entire theatre couldn't help but to try and fight giggles, failing mightily in a few cases, and a women in front of us was completely awed, arms stretched and mouth wide; I don't believe that I've ever heard so many middle-aged men giggling like schoolgirls. :lol:

It was exceptionally amusing during WLL, when they sort of break into Boogie Chillin and they show that extremely extended crotch shot of Robert, the entire theatre couldn't help but to try and fight giggles, failing mightily in a few cases, and a women in front of us was completely awed, arms stretched and mouth wide; I don't believe that I've ever heard so many middle-aged men giggling like schoolgirls. :lol:

yes, i as a heterosexual male felt uncomfortable during that scene, it was like i didn't want to look at it, but i couldn't take my eyes off of it, and my damn eyes kept going to it. to make myself feel better, i immediately went to a strip club afterwards and cleared up any ambiguity about myself.

the 70's sure were different....i long for skintight pants to show off bulges, but i feel that i would be shunned by society

:rolleyes:

I actually didn't attend mine (didn't find out about it until too damn late), but my neighbor went.

According to him, the theater in Atlanta that was showing it was packed. They had to turn people away, and there were still people standing because they couldn't get a seat (and, apparently, it's not a small theater). He said it was amazing and over all managed to make me jealous that I hadn't gone...

Just like reading the O2 had made me...

Not to go off topic, but does anyone else not lucky enough to get tickets want to shoot something every time they go into the O2 forum? Every time I see a post about "I got tickets!" it makes me really sad... I'm just so upset I didn't even get an email after three drawings. Not to say I don't think those who got the tickets don't deserve it. I'm glad to see that true Zep fans (members of LZ, PZ, FBO, and such) got tickets... I just wish I was one of them...

Anyways...

Heh...

Back to your regularly scheduled topic... :D

:blush:

What a way to see it for the first time! I'm one of the young'uns, so sitting at home on the couch one evening after Christmas was how I was introduced to the greatness that is TSRTS...

I'll have to agree with you. I was absolutely reeling when it was through. I was incredibly disappointed with the turnout...maybe 25-30 people showed. Day Tripper and I got our tickets A WEEK in advance, and we got there about 45 minutes early because we wanted good seats. Well, we had the pick of the place, because I think there were maybe five people scattered about the theater at that point. It sounded SPECTACULAR! Luckily, it was loud enough that nobody around could hear my terrible singing :lol: Or my professions of love for Jimmy :rolleyes: It was by far the most fun I've had in a movie theater...people were cheering at the end of each song, air drumming, etc. It was great, even if the guy behind me was telling another guy he was with that Jimmy uses a bow with the double neck in Dazed and Confused :blink:

Thank the gods someone agrees with me!! I just know that my "friends" have been tittering behind my back ever since I saw it, because I can't stop rhapsodizing about it!

Archived