The Seven Ages of Rock

the Octagon

Anybody else watching these? I guess they profile an "age" of rock every night this week. I've only seen the Art Rock one tonight, they talked about bands like early Pink Floyd, Velvet Undergroud, Roxy Music, Bowie, and Genesis. I'm kind of interested to watch the rest of them.

Anybody else watching these? I guess they profile an "age" of rock every night this week. I've only seen the Art Rock one tonight, they talked about bands like early Pink Floyd, Velvet Undergroud, Roxy Music, Bowie, and Genesis. I'm kind of interested to watch the rest of them.

You can watch all of them on VH1 Classic's website.

I watched this months ago on BBC and have to say there wasn't alot of Zep, I complained and emailed them to say a whole programme should of been devoted to them !! But thats just me :unsure:

I've been half watching it. Seems as though they're skimming the surface a bit. I know it's hard to cover different genres in an hour but I feel like it's missing something. PBS did a series similar more on the history of rock that I felt covered things a bit more in depth.

I've been half watching it. Seems as though they're skimming the surface a bit. I know it's hard to cover different genres in an hour but I feel like it's missing something. PBS did a series similar more on the history of rock that I felt covered things a bit more in depth.

I'm the same way, ninelives. I think I've seen part of that PBS one, too.

I saw them when they were on the BBC. I was a bloody joke when Zeppelin came on. They spent literally about three minutes on a band that invented stadium rock, yet they gave all the credit to Bruce Springsteen!!!

I saw that one as well. They seem to format each episode that way. They basically give credit to one or two bands and either eliminate or barely mention ones that are quite significant.

I saw them when they were on the BBC. I was a bloody joke when Zeppelin came on. They spent literally about three minutes on a band that invented stadium rock, yet they gave all the credit to Bruce Springsteen!!!

I was pretty pissed about that, as well...I ended up recording the stadium rock episode because I was excited about seeing the Zep footage...Was VERY short, and I was like WTF??!! They deserve way more coverage than that...Who cares about Bruce Springsteen...Ugh...

I bet there's one or two bands out there that wouldn't exactly be thrilled with the label of inventing "stadium (aka arena) rock". Plus, I'm not sure how one would go about arriving at who was responsible for "inventing" it anyway. To the best of my knowledge, the first artist to graduate to those size venues on a regular basis (ie, full length tours) were the Rolling Stones back in the early 70s under the auspices of Bill Graham. And, like him or not, Springteen's impact on playing stadiums throughout his career cannot be denied. Now, as to whether he "invented" "stadium rock" or not, I have no idea. First, someone would have to define "stadium rock" itself.

I've seen a couple of episodes so far, and it's pretty interesting, but it's really selective. They hardly talked about the Beatles at all...they were just sort of mentioned in the context of other discussion topics, and weren't really given their own space. That was nice on one hand because their influence has been completely hashed out on other programs, but I felt like they could have at least given them just a tiny introductory section, since this is a "historical documentation" sort of thing. It just seems kind of wrong not to. And I haven't seen the arena rock one yet, but was that their thinking with Zep, too, maybe? Maybe they think everybody knows that Zep were huge, so they wanted to focus on a different aspect. I don't know! That's just messed up - I mean, name one band after 1969 that had more of an influence on rock music than they did. There isn't anyone! I just don't get it.

I thought it was sort of weird the way they limited the Art Rock episode to, like, 4 artists. I know each one is only an hour long, but it seems like they were really taking their sweet time working up to the height of Bowie's career, and even though it was a nice treat for me, they showed almost ALL of the videos for the two Pink Floyd singles, which took up a lot of time...they could have said the same thing in half the time and then spent a little more time on a wider variety of artists.

Oh - and it seems weird that they spend the last episode of these things (this and the PBS one) trying to predict the future of rock music. That's a worse bet than a slot machine... If anyone is able to catch on to the next big innovation, it sure isn't going to be a bunch of dorky old journalists on a TV program. All they're doing is reporting on the latest trends and hoping that one of the bands out of that trend is going to spring up and be better than the rest of the bands following the trend, but it's not going to happen in our current climate. Record labels aren't taking chances, and bands that are signed are under enormous pressure to sell well, and if that doesn't put a limit on creativity, I don't know what would. When the next musical innovation comes around, I don't think too many people are going to see it coming, and the industry trend-followers at NME and the like won't be among them.

I was pretty pissed about that, as well...I ended up recording the stadium rock episode because I was excited about seeing the Zep footage...Was VERY short, and I was like WTF??!! They deserve way more coverage than that...Who cares about Bruce Springsteen...Ugh...

Glad we agree on that one. I was just about to light my torch, grab my pitchfork and head down to the BBC when my mother brought me to my senses and told me to let it be. :lol:

Yes they did only give a mention to the Beatles, but that was I say just about right as they were a pop band(a good one) but not Rock !!

Yeah, I wasn't expecting the Beatles to get much coverage at all...they were a pop band. I thought the Hendrix episode was pretty good though!

Archived