What (Non-Led Zeppelin) Live Show or Song Are You Listening To At This Moment?

On 11/11/2017 at 10:08 AM, John M said:

The first time I ever heard Rush was when this album was released.  A friend had just bought it.  Fall 1976.  The Song Remains the Same had just come out.  Presence, Wired, and Rocks were still "new albums" from that spring.  Leftoverture had just been released.  Then I heard this and said "who is this???!!!".  I had never even heard of Rush til that moment.   From that moment I knew Rush was something special.  I can still remember when that needle dropped on Bastille Day - "Won't you please welcome home - Rush!"  Then Anthem - I was floored.  Then the rest of this incredible album.   It was quite a bit to take in.

One of my favorites; thanks for sharing!

16 hours ago, ebk said:

It's the 80th Anniversary of Benny Goodman's concert at Carnegie Hall! This is my favorite number from that night.

I was just listening to the studio version the other day.  What a fantastic, ground-breaking track.  Thanks for the link to the NPR story.  The studio version of the song is wonderful.  That  drum beat at the opening and throughout!  (Gene Krupa didn't write it but he sure swings.)   The dissonances with the horns.  All really forward looking.  Did you ever hear the original studio version by Louis Prima who wrote the song?  It is quite different but still great.

16 hours ago, ebk said:

It's the 80th Anniversary of Benny Goodman's concert at Carnegie Hall! This is my favorite number from that night.

Here's an interesting piece on NPR this afternoon

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/16/578312844/how-benny-goodman-orchestrated-the-most-important-concert-in-jazz-history

Thank you for that timely reminder, ebk...and for the relief from the endless Rush! 😜

Now if I could just find my copy I could play it. I wonder if I loaned it to a friend and never got it back? Or if someone pilfered it from my racks?

Until then, in honour of Mick Taylor's 69th birthday I am playing the Rolling Stones live at the L.A. Forum 1969, live in Sydney, February 26, 1973 and the officially released 1973 Brussels Affair.

Edited by Strider