Sun Kil Moon's tribute to Led Zeppelin

Strider

I had Mojo Magazine's "Physical Graffiti" tribute cd on at work earlier today and when Sun Kil Moon's cover of "Sick Again" was over, it triggered an impulse to put on Sun Kil Moon's "Benji" album from last year.

For those that don't know, Sun Kil Moon is the moniker that Mark Kozelek records under. Mark Kozelek was also the singer-guitarist in the Red House Painters. In Cameron Crowe's "Almost Famous", Mark Kozelek played the bass player in the band Stillwater. Like Jack White, the guy knows how to keep busy. Also like Jack White, he has a love for Led Zeppelin and acknowledges their influence.

"Benji" was released way back in February 2014, and I remember immediately liking the album and especially being struck by the song "I Watched the Film The Song Remains the Same". However, I am constantly accruing new music and whether I got busy or just plain forgot, I never got around to posting the song here for other Led Zeppelin fans to hear. Mark Kozelek/Sun Kil Moon is not someone who is going to be played on classic rock or mainstream rock radio. But I feel Led Zeppelin fans should hear this song, and I think it might trigger your own memories of watching "The Song Remains the Same". It is a melancholy and touching song, and it gets at the heart of what makes "The Song Remains the Same" endure...not just because of the content of the film, but for the shared ritual that most of us experienced first watching it in a theatre.

The song then travels through another memory of Mark's childhood, one that he feels ashamed of, and then circles back to how he views "The Song Remains the Same" after the deaths of John Bonham and Peter Grant. Musically, it is a simple song...just plain acoustic guitar. Although, towards the end there are some lovely layered textures of acoustic arpeggios. Here is Sun Kil Moon's "I Watched the Film 'The Song Remains the Same'":

Deep and personal, the way LZ music is to each of us. I never saw TSRTS in a theater, but I do remember the impact of seeing it for the first time, watching them play live with so much passion and conviction. The fantasy sequences and off-stage segments have their own effects and impact, all deep, personal, and lasting.

That was very nice, I definitely have strong memories of going to the midnight movies at the Christown mall here in Phoenix. I definitely have deeper, stronger memories of TSRTS than any of the other live videos of Led Zeppelin, so I can appreciate the video, thanks for sharing that one, Strider!

^^^You're welcome luvlz2. I realize it won't be everybody's cup of tea. But in a time when everyone and their grandma likes to diss "The Song Remains the Same" movie as cobbled together cheese, it's refreshing to come across someone willing to sing about his love for TSRTS in a forthright, nakedly honest and emotional way, without the usual dollop of postmodern irony and cynicism.

That was very nice, I definitely have strong memories of going to the midnight movies at the Christown mall here in Phoenix. I definitely have deeper, stronger memories of TSRTS than any of the other live videos of Led Zeppelin, so I can appreciate the video, thanks for sharing that one, Strider!

HA! I remember the first time I saw the movie, it was at Scottsdale Fashion Square Mall back in 83'...went back the next night and saw Rocky Horror Picture Show. I liked TSRTS better, however Peter Grant dressed as Dr. Franknfurter would have been priceless.

The melody of this sounds distinctly like a rip-off of a John Denver song.

Thank you, Debbie Downer. Care to illuminate for us which John Denver song you mean? Since the acoustic riff is a pretty standard one, I would imagine this song sounds like hundreds of other acoustic songs.

^^^You're welcome luvlz2. I realize it won't be everybody's cup of tea. But in a time when everyone and their grandma likes to diss "The Song Remains the Same" movie as cobbled together cheese, it's refreshing to come across someone willing to sing about his love for TSRTS in a forthright, nakedly honest and emotional way, without the usual dollop of postmodern irony and cynicism.

You got it! Anytime Strider!

Archived