Darlene

Me too.. Though Robert sounds like he seriously needs to clear his throat.

I like it better than Southbound Saurez and Hot Dog .. but I don't see where it would fit better than either on ITTOD. Maybe it's just because I'm so used to ITTOD as it is. Besides, it makes Coda all the better.

Edited by the chase

What's cool to me in my mind is that "Darlene" is two songs in one. After the initial intro leading in to the song,post the second intro, a totally different dynamic emerges, as if this is new news.

I've always mentally pictured, "Darlene, oh ah oh darling". A coy Plant play on words. That's how I'll always think of it. Damn fine song!

Though Robert sounds like he seriously needs to clear his throat.

I like it better than Southbound Saurez and Hot Dog .. but I don't see where it would fit better than either on ITTOD. Maybe it's just because I'm so used to ITTOD as it is. Besides, it makes Coda all the better.

Could be, although Plant may have messed up his voice while recording In The Evening, Wearing and Tearing, or the ending of I'm Gonna Crawl.

"Darlene" is not in my favorite top 20 (or so) LZ songs but I love it nonetheless. It's Zeppelin, how could I not like it?

Am I mistaken or not, because I hear Robert sing the words, "I beat my baby Darlene"?

It's 'Ah, be my baby Darlene...'

It's a uniquely structured song, similar to The Ocean in a way.

Also like the medleys they used to do live

like during Whole Lotta Love.

Very true, i thought the same thing after seeing the sync of live footage. I always liked this song since i heard it on vinyl in the 80s. Sort of an amazing thing to think it is very jam oriented from what they used to do in whole lotta love. It was this type of song, where you sorta realized that they were real people and page wasnt as bad with drugs as some of the bootlegs showed...and that they were gonna go on, even with just very good songs.

• 4 years later...

Would have loved to be about ten rows back with the volume up on 11, had they played this live.   All the outtakes from ITTOD should have been on that album.  It would have been an even more amazing album and would have shown 10 years later they still “had it!”

Edited by Sticks of Fire

Darlene is a motherfucker, bad ass riffs, a showcase for Bonzo , similar to The Ocean. Bonzo really shines on the swing shuffle section going out. Plants voice and the oohoohoohooh yeah gets old quick though. I'd rather hear it instrumentally. 

The last part is really great too, the way Plant sings to the girl, the way he repeats how much he loves her 'AAAAND I love you Darlene, yeessss I love you, I do' it's just great. And the piano and guitar solo and drums, all so great!!! 

Edited by SamoKodela

• 2 weeks later...