All Starbucks Shuts Down...With A Glitch!

SuperDave

I got an email news alert about all Starbucks :coffee: shutting down nationwide. :cheer: Not sure about those across the pond in Europe and elsewhere but certainly here. According, to the news report it had something to do with the cash registers that were not operating and obviously due to glitches with some sort of software problem with the system. It's crazy that you have to resort to shutting down your stores for a software problem, when your registers won't work! Can't you just accept cash? :notworthy:

I don't know the whole problem as this story is just coming over to the news agencies. No big deal to me as I usually just have my coffee at home...and if out, will be Dunkin Donuts! I find Starbucks to have ... overpriced mediocre coffee to start! I've only been there twice in my life and no return there anytime soon! Certainly, nothing special about this chain in my book! :thumbdown:

When you have to shut down as a result of a pc glitch and can't resort to staying open by other means (to accept transactions)...it's just all about the money and you have no consideration for your clientele! :smack: Starbucks could have stayed open regardless of this problem, but chose not to deal with it as it was an easier escape to just shut down!

Having a backup plan to just accept cash and adjust all this later, would have been the smart thing to do, but then again this was obviously a corporate decision and I stick by my means of why I don't frequent chains (or independents) that consider substantial profits as their top priority and little regard for the consumer! :redcard: The more they can get or gauge out of the consumer is what they consider their best interest Not all are like this, but too many of these corporate entities have this unwelcomed economic philosophy! :o

Sorry, for the rant :rant: ...but I just don't like some of the corps and especially Starbucks and others who don't offer the best to consumers! Always best to go with the Mom and Pop, independents, local and unique institutions, regardless where you live!!! :yes2: Always support local! :accordian:

Edited by SuperDave

ummm this never happened at least in my area...I suspect it was a net hoax...

It was reported a couple hours ago on HLN (CNN's Headline News channel), so apparently it's real.

They reported many locations began giving it away / not charging during the glitch period.

I agree that they are highly overrated / overpriced.

My local Circle K has a coffee bar area with enough variety that I can whip up practically anything I could ever want for $1.50 including tax for a 16 oz. medium.

Even the extra-large (way more than I want or need) is maybe $2.49 plus tax.

I tend toward about a third of my cup in a caramel-ly cappuccino, topped off with the dark espresso roast, a couple squirts of the vanilla bean flavoring, an International Delight caramel macchiato creamer and 2 packs of Sugar In The Raw, the large, golden-colored grains of unrefined sugar in the brown paper packets.

I know it's still just sugar, but it adds a pleasing visual contribution to the beverage that, as a graphic designer who is - not surprisingly - very visuaI, I can appreciate.

I'm also easily targeted by advertising, LOL.

OMG I love that scene.

I think one of the funniest subtleties in the entire movie is just after what you posted, so I've found a longer clip.

When Jimmy goes off on Jules and says, "There's nothing that you're gonna say that's gonna make me forget that I love my wife, is there?"

At that moment, about 1:31 in this clip, Vincent makes a quarter-turn and takes a sip of his coffee.

I don't know why that's so funny, but it's as though he's distancing himself from the awkwardness of the moment.

Classic.

I love me coffee and I always buy local. I have actual, friendly, personal relationships with the owner and baristas at a couple of local, family owned coffee houses. Local music, poetry readings, AA meetings, they are akin to the English pub.

Why anyone would want to go to a Starbucks is beyond me, bad coffee and conveyor belt service. To each their own.